• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ten great games that deserved more success - Jim Sterling

cormack12

Gold Member
01. Beyond Good and Evil
02. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
03. Majin and the forsaken kingdom
04. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
05. Gitaroo Man
06. Titanfall 2
07. Battleborn
08. Killer 7
09. Singularity
10. Metal Arms: Glitch in the system

Few obvious ones in there, notably KoA and Enslaved

mcz117chief

Played TitanFall 2 and Battleborn and both of those games were junk. TitanFall 2 got good reviews because of the single player, which was absolute shit and way worse than the one in the first game. The multiplayer got boring after a few matches. I have spent over 200 hours on the first game and less than 10 on the second, the magic just wasn't there anymore.

Beyond Good and Evil is a great game though, bought it on 2 platforms and finished it multiple times. The sequel looks trash though.

SpartanN92

Banned
Titanfall 2 was great.
I've heard excellent things about Amalur.
I made it about 1/3rd of the way through Singularity. I enjoyed what I played but it was a clumsy Bioshock clone if my memory serves me correctly.

Kagey K

Banned
Played TitanFall 2 and Battleborn and both of those games were junk. TitanFall 2 got good reviews because of the single player, which was absolute shit and way worse than the one in the first game. The multiplayer got boring after a few matches. I have spent over 200 hours on the first game and less than 10 on the second, the magic just wasn't there anymore.

Beyond Good and Evil is a great game though, bought it on 2 platforms and finished it multiple times. The sequel looks trash though.

I'm interested in hearing what made Titanfal 1's single player better then 2.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Yes I would love to hear this as well. I found Titanfall 1’s single player to be a bit lacking, personally.
The whole idea of putting campaign story and multiplayer together was genius and I would love for more games to do this. It gives each multiplayer match a narative. Another example of this is the Uncharted 2 multiplayer beta, each match had a short cutscene at the beginning and end. Titanfall went a lot further by adding events, dialogue and characters. I must have played through the campaign of Titanfall 1 dozens of times, I absolutely adored it. And the battle of Demeter is still one of the most unforgettable gaming experiences ever.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

He missed Spec Ops: The Line. The game that everyone loves but, for some reason, it is always underrated.
It has a pretty mediocre gameplay and the story isn't that good either. There are some interesting moments in there but I don't think many people would play that game again. Even those 4 hours it took me to finish it felt like a chore by the end.

Paasei

Before I started watching the first game that came into mind was Kingdoms of Amalur. And he delivered, good man.

Last edited:
Battleborn's failure is Gearbox's own doing. Basically 101 on how not to market a game. They failed at pitching what their game was about so everyone just made comparisons with Overwatch even though it's more of a moba.

ruvikx

Banned
I started the Titanfall 2 single player campaign a few weeks back after hearing all the great things about that part of the game (including excellent reviews). The good news? It's a lovely 60 fps shooter on the ps4. The bad? It's a bland, uninspired wannabe Killzone (without being anywhere near as good as the KZ trilogy) with a mech which does nothing more than serve in glorified turret sections.

Technically it was lovely, but the rest? (including the absence of actual worldbuilding & interesting level design/encounter design)? Meh. I haven't really tried multiplayer yet so I can comment on that part, but I can say the single player is nowhere near as good as the Halo 3, the Killzones, & other Resistance 3 esque first person shooter single player campaigns from last gen.

I like couple of those but it's difficult to say these didn't pretty much achieve the level of success they either deserved or were simply just capable of.

Titanfall 2 filled that Episode 3 hole in my heart. Incredible campaign. Level and encounter design doesn't get much better in a linear shooter.

It's pretty funny how Titanfall 2 and Dishonored 2 stole Singularity's time travel gimmick in the same year. They all bombed too :pie_thinking:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It is kind of interesting that there is nothing made before 2000 on that list.
giphy.gif

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Agreed with Titanfall 2 and Killer 7. Battleborn? naaah

Titanfall 2 was a big setback compared to the first. The maps in the first game was incredibly well designed, whereas it in the second game felt very generic.

Clarissa

Banned
I'm not sure about sales figures but

1) Life Is Strange
2) Legend Of Heroes Trails In The Sky 1,2 and 3.

deserve a lot more success. Esp Trails in the Sky 2. What a wonderful game. Deserves at least 10 million sales. At full price!

Fbh

Decent list though several of them are hard to get since they aren't on PC and never got a port, remaster o remake for current gen systems.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The bad? It's a bland, uninspired wannabe Killzone (without being anywhere near as good as the KZ trilogy) with a mech which does nothing more than serve in glorified turret sections.
Killzone and Titanfall don't have much in common. The Gameplay is way different. Titanfall also has a vastly and frankly better way of movement.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
I love Gitarooman Man. It’s one of my favorite rhythm games, and it has so much charm.

The main title theme is great as well.

Fuck yeah dude.

Also love the acoustic guitar bon fire track but FUCK the Samba Skeltons stage. Jesus is that shit hard as balls.

V4skunk

Banned
Battleborn's failure is Gearbox's own doing. Basically 101 on how not to market a game. They failed at pitching what their game was about so everyone just made comparisons with Overwatch even though it's more of a moba.
They also made the fuck up of releasing it at the same time as Overwatch.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Agree with Enslaved: Odyssey to the West and Titanfall 2.

ruvikx

Banned
Killzone and Titanfall don't have much in common. The Gameplay is way different. Titanfall also has a vastly and frankly better way of movement.

Maybe it's because I was on the hardest difficulty, but I still spent my time hiding behind walls & using rocks as cover because a few enemy hits & I was dead. So the speed & movement of the game was rendered a bit pointless. I basically felt I was playing a lesser version of Halo 3/Killzone. Maybe that's just me, but like I said I just didn't find it as good as the last gen single player campaigns I quoted.

bender

What time is it?
I did my part and bought Gitaroo Man at launch. Wonderful game.. Of the rest of the list that I've played:

-I was LTTP for Beyond Good and Evil and beat the XBLA release. It's a good adventure game that probably gets overpraised due to the relative lack of quality Zelda knockoffs (at the time).
-I've tried to get into Kindoms of Amalur a few times. The character movement just puts me off. I wouldn't necessarily call it clunk, but it isn't fluid enough for my liking.
-Played through Enslaved after picking it up on during a sale months (maybe years) after release. The platforming reminded me a lot of Uncharted (that's not a good thing) and the action was ho-hum. I actually thought the game was rather ugly visually. I was really glad when the credit rolled.
-Titanfall was another discount pickup mostly due to the praise the campaign received. It does a great job of never overstaying it's welcome and always switching up the mechanics. My only complaint and it is fairly minor, is that it felt like it had too many gun options and none of them with enough of a distinct personality. Certainly worthy of the praise that is heaped upon it.
-Killer 7 was a day one purchase for the Gamecube. I didn't stick with it very long and don't remember much about it except that it was awkward mechanically. I've recently purchased the PC version and am looking forward to giving it another go with fresh eyes.
-I rented Metal Arms and fell off it fairly quickly All of the charm and humor couldn't override my dislike of how it played.

Last edited:

xool

He missed a titling opportunity here "Games everyone loves but nobody bought" .. too obvious maybe. anyway, moving on..

Kingdom's of Amalur ,, literal letterbox FOV that insists on pointing down at your feet, and reverts to that position if you attempt to correct it. Almost like the game wanted to be a zoomed in-overtheshoulder-isometric hybrid - killed any playability for me of what could have been a fantasy game of the generation ..

The rest - there's a broad pattern here - too quirky setting/protagonist - (mild example Sunset Overdrive, extreme
Drawn to Death) - guaranteed to make sure your game never sells over 1million. Just make those DnD/WW2/StarTrekWar clones everyone wants .. be intelligent and different - don't try to be quirky/clever - there's a difference

Why are they making a Star-Citizen with monkeys game and not this ? :

Sensible choices. Nice to see jim talking about games.

Cynn

Titanfall 2 is a fucking masterpiece. Battleborn was also really damn fun. Group think and clique drones ended up killing it.

mcz117chief

Titanfall 2 is a fucking masterpiece. Battleborn was also really damn fun. Group think and clique drones ended up killing it.
A masterpiece that nobody plays anymore. Why would people completely abandon a masterpiece? DOOM, World of Warcraft, League of Legends, Counter Strike, StarCraft, those are master pieces played by millions of people. Titanfall 2 is a game that people love to talk about but not play. Perhaps because Titanfall 2 is just trash?

Last edited:

Alx

I'm pretty sure Titanfall2 is still active. I was playing it daily until Apex Legends released earlier this year (nd at the time, they said the success of Apex made the player count of TF2 increase)

Spaceman292

Banned

How is it possible to be so wrong?
Titanfall 2 single player was incredible.

Top Bottom