• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ten years ago at E3 2005, Satoru Iwata unveiled Nintendo Revolution

Celine

Dat revolution

pne8wgn.jpg

FyreWulff

10 years later, fanboys still heated and trying to find ways to say the Wii didn't win it's generation. All that's ever mattered are the numbers and the Wii had mountains of 'em.

I really wish third parties had actually tried to use the controller instead of mapping shakes to button presses from the other platform versions of their games.

It's also weird because the GameCube basically got to live on inside the Wii and there's technically now a larger install base of GameCubes out there than the Gamecube actually had in the generation it was in.. lol

dr_octagon

Banned
10 years later, fanboys still heated and trying to find ways to say the Wii didn't win it's generation. All that's ever mattered are the numbers and the Wii had mountains of 'em.

I really wish third parties had actually tried to use the controller instead of mapping shakes to button presses from the other platform versions of their games.

It's also weird because the GameCube basically got to live on inside the Wii and there's technically now a larger install base of GameCubes out there than the Gamecube actually had in the generation it was in.. lol

Metroid Prime Corruption made good use of the controller but I think Wii Sports was probably the best showcase for it. Even though Skyward Sword was one of the few games that felt totally centred around it (not just adding motion controls), there wasn't much of an effort.

The Wii won the generation in terms of numbers and impact on the industry, even if Nintendo fumbled and didn't capture the same success later. People will have to try really hard to downplay the success when it's so obvious.

RM8

To see some people here (not exactly the casual-est crowd) ignoring the huge amount of non-waggle, non-"party" games is downright sad (and even non-Nintendo too, Wii was no WiiU, plenty of awesome non-Nintendo games). Wii is one of the best home consoles ever IMO and I would have hated going last gen with only a PS3, personally. Wii + your HD system of choice was by far the way to go
even though DS and PSP were much better :p

Hale-XF11

Those that are potentially prone to epilepsy (without being active sufferers) can be very sensitive to wildly varying framerates.

This usually appears as motion sickness. Two seizures over the span of 31 years. Both related to fluctuating framerates in videogames. Can come up even worse in colorful games with fluctuating framerate like Elebits.

I actually decided not be buy Elebits because of that potential. Worst for me personally was the DC port of Omikron the Nomad Soul. It caused my first seizure.

That's interesting. I hadn't considered that inconsistent framerate could cause motion sickness, but it makes sense to me, given that I've experienced it myself in VR. Heck, I might have even experienced sickness on a regular monitor without fully realizing it. I look forward to the day when that's no longer an issue and all games run at a high framerate without ever dipping.

I regret the fact that I never bought the Wii. But the controllers were just a huge no no for me. Is the only Nintendo console I never had. I've been playing some of the sofware of the Wii on the WiiU though. Hopefully I can finish most of the titles before the new console hits.

GamerJM

Banned
I'd say it's hard to believe it's been 10 years but it does feel like a long time since then. The actual launch not as much (mid 2005- late 2006 felt like a long ass stretch of time to me). I remembering pouring over pics of the console design during a road trip in June 2005.

Great console, Nintendo's best since the SNES days IMO.

ramparter

Banned
Wow, I never imagine that 3DS is a failure in software sales;
Prices and limited shipments I would guess. People have difficult finding games like Ocarina of Time and when they do it probably costs more than 40€. I bought all my 3ds games second hand.

Condom

The hype was unprecedented, even for me while I was in my Sony fanboy fase. Nintendo Revolution just grabbed my imagination.

Turrican3

there wasn't much of an effort.
I'd argue that the efforts weren't comparable, in scope and/or budget, to the huge success the console enjoyed nor even close to the multimillion dollars investments that put sooo many actors out of the videogame business.
Still, there were *lots* of non-waggle games that clearly demonstrated the wiimote (+nunchuck) was perfectly suited for a wide range of so-called core genres. Heck, some of them basically didn't even exist before in the console space (yes I'm thinking about f****ng PES Playmaker and the like)

Fantastic console, truly innovative controller, a terrific lineup of first/second party games and a more than decent amount of third party classics.
I'm still baffled at the hatred this little one gets here sometimes, but I'm confident in retrospect, over a couple of years most people will aknowledge it deserves to be remembered as one of the finest consoles Nintendo has ever released.

Dryk

The idea of a single device transporting us back to the first Excitebike, EarthBound or Punch-Out!!, should make us all feel young again, at least for a while.
cry-549c1b8362465.jpeg

So much potential is just going to waste. They didn't even bother to design the 3DS with GBA or SNES Virtual Console in mind.

Lumyst

Fantastic console, truly innovative controller, a terrific lineup of first/second party games and a more than decent amount of third party classics.
I'm still baffled at the hatred this little one gets here sometimes, but I'm confident in retrospect, over a couple of years most people will aknowledge it deserves to be remembered as one of the finest consoles Nintendo has ever released.

Agreed, there may have been many misunderstandings about the machine and its library, even on my part, but I've checked threads here on GAF that recommended games, and got some very one of a kind gems, and I totally see now that by holding back on pursuing high specs, cheaper to make yet riskier and creative games with midtier production were possible for one last round before HD specs warped console gamers' values. If there is one regret, it should be that the machine didn't have the ability to offer full retail titles digitally, that would have shown users there was sooooo much good stuff to buy and possibly have kept them from developing those misunderstandings about its library.

Pyrrhus

NINTENDO WILL TURN GAMING INDUSTRY ON IT'S SIDE.

Yes, fuck you Nintendo for that.

Yeah, they tipped it over and it broke. Well, them on the one side and Sony and Microsoft on the other. Together, they flipped the fucker down the stairs.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
NINTENDO WILL TURN GAMING INDUSTRY ON IT'S SIDE.

Yes, fuck you Nintendo for that.

Nintendo did no such thing. They were just the first big company to be aware of the game industry's unhealthy state and try to do something about it. Just because some gamers were happy with an unhealthy industry doesn't mean it was actually better back then.

Nintendo did no such thing. They were just the first big company to be aware of the game industry's unhealthy state and try to do something about it. Just because some gamers were happy with an unhealthy industry doesn't mean it was actually better back then.

Attracting a fickle audience and having virtually all of them abandon you after just three years sure sounds healthy for the industry. The PS3 and 360, for all of their faults, are what kept the industry afloat after the Wii's collosal calapse. I can only imagine the shit the industry would be in if Sony and MS released Wii-like systems instead.

Ansatz

I don't know about you guys but I definitely said wow in November 2007 when I got my copy of Galaxy and I still do.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Attracting a fickle audience and having virtually all of them abandon you after just three years sure sounds healthy for the industry. The PS3 and 360, for all of their faults, are what kept the industry afloat after the Wii's collosal calapse. I can only imagine the shit the industry would be in if Sony and MS released Wii-like systems instead.

First, I didn't say Nintendo managed to cure the industry of its problems, just that they tried to address those problems. Second, if the PS3 and 360 are what kept the industry afloat then how do you explain the billions of dollars in losses both companies incurred? To the point MS was seriously considering exiting the console business and Sony had lost more money than all the profit they made during the PS2 years where they dominated the industry. Not to mention the many, many talented development studios that went bankrupt and had to shut down because they couldn't survive the massive losses incurred by releasing a single unsuccessful title? Third, if you were someone who only owned a Wii and PC during that gen, I'm not so sure you'd still think the audience was that fickle. The same audience was also treated like second class citizens by most of the industry, including Nintendo themselves after 2010. If you pick up a new hobby and aren't satisfied for 3-4 years, it's only natural that you'd move on.

OCD Guy

Please Nintendo no more gimmicks. Despite what you think, the Wii was a freak of Nature, gimmicks won't equal sales ever again.

Keep doing your amiibo shit (if you really have to) and just release a new console that's "normal".....

If Nintendo didn't innovate, who knows what today's "normal" consoles would even look like.

Nintendo opened up the casual market with Wii/DS, but this is not what ruined 'gaming today,' they just tapped into this market early. It would eventually develop into what it is today with mobile gaming either way (since people don't primarily buy a smartphone for gaming, it's a side-product). Nintendo might or might not have had an influence in some game design that made it to mobile games, but wow at some reactions. Sony and Microsofts' flops with Kinect and Move is their problem, not Nintendo. Nintendo always stood by their 'gimmicks' and gave us great and creative content. They made their mistakes as well and messed up with Wii U, but the Wii itself is a glorious thing.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

AllI will say is...I am surprised that the PS3 and 360 are catching up on the Wii n console sales. Arent both closing in on 90 million? I dont think they will hit 100 million but so far last gen is the closest its been in years. Probably ever. Dat Wii drop off and strong legs of 360, PS3.

The Wii had to be discontinued...the 360 and PS3 didnt. Look at the last 2 years for each console before their successor launched as far as exclusives and 3rd party games. I believe The Last of Us and GTA 5 sold a shit load of PS3's. They had to.

The PS3 especially is still selling nice after the PS4 launched. You would think with low sales of the Wii U the Wii woulda still been selling good. Nope.

First to 100 million, yea the Wii won that. A win is a win is a win. Overall....broader picture..... Even compare the drop vs the PS2 still selling alot after the PS3 launched. Both PS3 and Wii U got off to rocky starts....so that shoulda been some extra sales for the previous console... PS2 yup. Wii nope.

TheMoon

Please Nintendo no more gimmicks. Despite what you think, the Wii was a freak of Nature, gimmicks won't equal sales ever again.

Keep doing your amiibo shit (if you really have to) and just release a new console that's "normal".....

They released a console that's "normal" ...it's called Wii U. Every other console has gimmicks, too.

Not sure why you have to resort to calling it "amiibo shit" either. You seem very poorly informed.

Top Bottom