• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tencent acquires 1C Entertainment

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Tencent has acquired Polish developer and publisher 1C Entertainment for an undisclosed sum.

The deal, which was reached last November, will see Tencent take all shares previously owned by the company's former parent firm, 1C.

Additionally, 1C Entertainment and all subsidiaries with 1C in its name will be rebranded within six months of the deal's completion.

"We are truly excited by this deal. It is an amazing opportunity for 1CE to achieve our wildest dreams and aspirations in the video games business," said 1C Entertainment board member Tomasz Nieszporski. "Our vision and passion will be now backed by a leading global games company, and I am humbled by the unique chance of working together with Tencent and the other top creative minds that are part of its global ecosystem."

Tencent Games global chief technology officer Li Shen added: "We couldn't be more pleased to work with the talented team at 1C Entertainment, supporting them as they embark on a new phase of growth."

1C Entertainment has launched over 100 games to date, and is best known as the publisher of aircraft simulator IL-2 Sturmovik, as well as the Men of War franchise.

another one
maxresdefault.jpg

How big is 1C Entertainment ?
1C Entertainment is a global publisher and developer that has successfully launched over 100 game titles including critically acclaimed series - IL-2 Sturmovik, King's Bounty, Men of War and Space Rangers.

Big enough and yet no one cries but when MS does it monopoly lol

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Lol where are the monopoly cries? They just bought two other studios last week as well. They and embracer group continue to get bigger and bigger.

It seem only monopoly apply to Microsoft
Tencent and Embracer are not platform holders so they can buy everything and nothing will change for anyone. Big difference.

Same for Amazon or whatever boogeyman your god is supposed to protect us from.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
1C Entertainment is a global publisher and developer that has successfully launched over 100 game titles including critically acclaimed series - IL-2 Sturmovik, King's Bounty, Men of War and Space Rangers.

I mean. . .STEAM exists. Isn't EVERY publisher and developer "global."

Sega Orphan

Banned
All Microsoft have to say to get their Activision deal through is say that if they don't buy Activision then Tencent will.
The way TC are throwing money around is off tap. It's also very shotgun approach as well. Here's a few Mil for you, and some for you, we will buy you outright, we will get some mobile, some GAAS, some publishers, some Indies.
It seems very disjointed and appears to be more about having "influence" than it does a "buisness unit".

Tencent and Embracer are not platform holders so they can buy everything and nothing will change for anyone. Big difference.

Same for Amazon or whatever boogeyman your god is supposed to protect us from.
This is the stupidest thing I’ve read so if they buy all these companies and decide that they’re only going to make mobile games or games the Chinese government thinks is ok that doesn’t change anything? Wtf

DavJay

Smart. All that money in the bank depreciating because of inflation moving at a record pace. Spend your money and invest people.

VN1X

Banned
Yes?

Stop clutching your pearls, Agnes. I was snarking on the obviously fluffed up language of a small Russian software company being described as a "global" entity.

. . .you may unclench now.
I don't think you know what "clutching your pearls" actually means lol.

winjer

Gold Member
Oh crap. Wonder if these games are getting some of that Tencent spyware.
I was looking forward some of their games, but this changes things.

Dread Templar
Graven
Wrath: Aeon of ruin

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

I've heard of literally none of those games.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
King's Bounty is a very famous franchise if you are into Strategy games. Heroes of Might and Magic was actually inspired by King's Bounty

RTS is one of my favorite genres, or at least it was when it existed. Never heard of King's Bounty.

kingfey

Banned
This is some serious purchase strategy. With enough funding, they can make big titles. People are sleeping about this tactic.

Kdad

According to Wiki 1C is

... the largest distributor in Russia, publishing titles of most accomplished international publishers such as Activision Blizzard, Bethesda Game Studios, Take-Two Interactive, Ubisoft, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. 1C owns two local distribution companies, 1C-SoftClub (ru) (Russian: 1С-СофтКлаб, formerly known as SoftClub) and the previously independent Russian company Buka Entertainment (de) (Russian: Бу́ка),[32] which are also market leaders in the distribution of videogames hardware for companies like Sony Computer Entertainment according to 1C.[33] 1C also owns a video games retail chain similar to retail chains like GameStop, named 1C-Interest (Russian: 1С Интерес), which has 30 stores in 22 cities inside Russia.[34]

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
They don’t have a controlling interest in most of the things they own and they are far from having a monopoly
Still first in revenue. And it grows!

Point being, people like to harp on Microsoft and their no where near Tencent or Sony.

Some of y'all show your true colors around here and it ain't even autumn.

I've heard of literally none of those games.
You've really missed out then. IL-2 Sturmovik is an excellent combat flight sim series (with varying degrees of sim), and Space Rangers is bar none the most unique space trading and combat game series in existence.

Daytonabot

Banned
Lol where are the monopoly cries? They just bought two other studios last week as well. They and embracer group continue to get bigger and bigger.
China's growing influence on entertainment (and everything else) is a much more serious concern than a gaming monopoly unfortunately.

Top Bottom