• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tencent is reportedly raising several $ billion to buy a U.S. or Korean gaming company

GeorgPrime

Banned
I think they may buy Nexon, or to increase their investment on Epic and buy it because Fornite makes a ton of money, Unreal too and is going to be key for gaming and movies markets, and their western PC store has potential.

I don't see them interested on Take 2, specially via a hostile takeover. They always purchased people in a friendly way with win/win scenarios. I think that if someone buys Take 2 will be Microsoft.

Tencent makes more money from gaming than any other company in the world. And if I'm not wrong, in 2019 the whole Tencent corporation made $58B of revenue, $15B of net income and had $147B in assets. They don't need money from anyone else.

Why should the POTUS stop buying a publicly traded company that isn't a market leader?

Tencent owns Riot (League of Legends), Funcom, Digital Extremes, Spash Damage, 40% of Epic, 20% of Marvelous (who also owns the Data East IPs), and the 5% of Ubisoft, Activision Blizzard and Paradox, and invested in Platinum Games, Yagger or even Reddit. They already are pretty diversified beyond F2P/MMO and mobile.

Tencent is not only Gaming they have stakes in many many companies in different industries worldwide.

Tencent ist firstly known for WeChat, than Gaming. But for example they also invest in a lot of western films and music companies. They even bought 10 % of Universal Music, they got 7.5 % of Spotify and they have 5 % of Tesla as well.

Last edited:

Hnjohngalt

To think that before 2014 all video games were banned in CCP. It just seems so strange they are investing so much into it now. I am not making a conspiracy here. Just hopeful the art isn't censored further.

Barakov

Gold Member
I can't wait to find out who it is so I don't have to buy their games. Hopefully, it's some mobile publisher that I couldn't care less about.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
To think that before 2014 all video games were banned in CCP. It just seems so strange they are investing so much into it now. I am not making a conspiracy here. Just hopeful the art isn't censored further.

The CCP realized that controlling the top video games is imperative for controlling the media in an effort to indoctrinate the audience towards their ideals.

If they buy Take Two, you better hope GTA6 never gets released because it will be the ultimate letdown.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
China Bad. CCP. Winnie the Pooh. Lets hope Biden starts another proxy war in the middle east to save our precious videogame companies. Freedom. Democracy. The American way of life. Etc.
Fourth Of July Wrestling GIF

US government can surely stop this, right (if they wanted of course)? They fucked Huawei pretty hard in the west so it’s not all laissez faire laissez passer.

yurinka

Tencent is not only Gaming they have stakes in many many companies in different industries worldwide.

Tencent ist firstly known for WeChat, than Gaming. But for example they also invest in a lot of western films and music companies. They even bought 10 % of Universal Music, they got 7.5 % of Spotify and they have 5 % of Tesla as well.
Yes, like Sony, Konami, Microsoft or many other gaming companies they are also in many other industries, but Tencent also invests in a lot of external companies.

Hope this will make Sony to do a move on buying Take2.
All Take 2 games already are on PlayStation. Sony doesn't need to buy them and they are super expensive. Why Sony would buy them, to make GTA exclusive? That would piss off a lot of people and wouldn't sell way more consoles because people already have it on PS.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Yes, like Sony, Konami, Microsoft or many other gaming companies they are also in many other industries, but Tencent also invests in a lot of external companies.

All Take 2 games already are on PlayStation. Sony doesn't need to buy them and they are super expensive. Why Sony would buy them, to make GTA exclusive? That would piss off a lot of people and wouldn't sell way more consoles because people already have it on PS.
Because GTA is worth billions for each new property and that's a massive guaranteed revenue stream. Plus 2k sports has a lot of synergy with Sonys MLB games

If they bought them I dont even think they'd go exclusive TBH

driqe

Plus 2k sports has a lot of synergy with Sonys MLB games
Explain this pls ^^

Also, there is no reason for sony to buy Take2 because if they get bought by Tencent all their games will still be on mulitplat.

And on the 0.000001% chance that Sony wants to buy Take2, China will outbid them lol

Last edited:

Yoboman

Explain this pls ^^

Also, there is no reason for sony to buy Take2 because if they get bought by Tencent all their games will still be on mulitplat.

And on the 0.000001% chance that Sony wants to buy Take2, China will outbid them lol
Sony already have a successful sports franchise with MLB (which is also going multiplat now). The only thing stopping them expanding that is rights holders to the major sports franchises. Getting NBA and WWE (though mainly the former) lets them increase their presence in sporta

Im not saying that's what they want, but it would fit what they are already doing

In the end an acquisition or merger is about return on investment so I don't even see Sony taking 2k properties exclusive. Maybe some smaller ones like Borderlands or Bioshock

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

WeChat-Owner Tencent Seeks $6 Billion Loan After Deals​

Tencent Holdings Ltd., the creator of the messaging platform WeChat, is in talks with banks for a $6 billion loan, according to people familiar with the matter.

ugbk9q86tqt01.gif

Last edited:

Hnjohngalt

WeChat-Owner Tencent Seeks $6 Billion Loan After Deals​

Tencent Holdings Ltd., the creator of the messaging platform WeChat, is in talks with banks for a $6 billion loan, according to people familiar with the matter.

ugbk9q86tqt01.gif
So I guess they will buy Sony afterall?

Top Bottom