• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tencent is starting a AAA studio in North America

Makariel

With the software knowledge of Epic, the Unreal engine and the financial resource of Tencent, what is stopping them from releasing a cheap as chips console?
Basic economics? Besides, games consoles play no role in China, neither do they in much of Southeast Asia as far as I know. I don't think a console would be on anyones' mind at Tencent. After all, they have been outright banned until 2015 or so. Consoles are just luxury items and have no additional utility, unlike desktops, laptops or phones, where kids can at least pretend they need it for school. Not many parents would buy their children a dedicated gaming device that would distract them from learning for exams. Don't forget: only lazy foreigners waste their time on a games console. High-achieving patriots spend their 15 minutes of government-approved gaming time on games that demonstrate communist values like unquestioning loyalty and obedience!

Fbh

I am okay with it as long as Tencent's Studio is NOT influenced by the CCP (which I doubt). Hopefully the US Government are watching them like a Hawk.

Even giant American companies like Disney are designing their products to appeal to the CCP/China.
Guess what it's like for a Chinese owned company?

Basic economics? Besides, games consoles play no role in China, neither do they in much of Southeast Asia as far as I know. I don't think a console would be on anyones' mind at Tencent. After all, they have been outright banned until 2015 or so. Consoles are just luxury items and have no additional utility, unlike desktops, laptops or phones, where kids can at least pretend they need it for school. Not many parents would buy their children a dedicated gaming device that would distract them from learning for exams. Don't forget: only lazy foreigners waste their time on a games console. High-achieving patriots spend their 15 minutes of government-approved gaming time on games that demonstrate communist values like unquestioning loyalty and obedience!

I meant, releasing it in the West

Makariel

I meant, releasing it in the West
That comes simply down to economics: they would have to invest crazy amounts of money to get an offering competitive with Nintendo, Xbox and Sony. It's just not worth it at this point, unless either of the competitors massively drops the ball this year and would leave a big gap open that's not immediately filled straight away.

That comes simply down to economics: they would have to invest crazy amounts of money to get an offering competitive with Nintendo, Xbox and Sony. It's just not worth it at this point, unless either of the competitors massively drops the ball this year and would leave a big gap open that's not immediately filled straight away.

I thought Tencent were mega-rich? I suppose they could buy the Xbox division, if it's still up for sale?

Some people consider anyone who does not agree with them as shills.
true, but you are 100% shill.

Say something positive about the PS4, Nintendo Switch and name a feature about the PS5 which is more interesting than the XSX equivilent. It can be a colour, how they've stuck to traditional naming...anything.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
true, but you are 100% shill.

Say something positive about the PS4, Nintendo Switch and name a feature about the PS5 which is more interesting than the XSX equivilent. It can be a colour, how they've stuck to traditional naming...anything.
You are very dedicated at calling people you dont like shill.

You are very dedicated at calling people you dont like shill.

For anyone reading these exchanges of post, this is how you expose a shill. It's like a voigt-Kompf for replicants or asking a robot what love is.

When a shill is asked to say something positive about a competitors product, they can't, it's against their programming.

Edit: I never said I didn't like you. I never said I liked you either. I just enjoy outing the crazies.

Last edited:

Makariel

I thought Tencent were mega-rich? I suppose they could buy the Xbox division, if it's still up for sale?
Maybe you have access to super-secret accounting information, but just in terms of revenue numbers that are publicly accessible: Tencent had last year less than half(!) the reported revenue* Microsoft had, and also significantly less than Sony. So... yes Tencent is rich, but it's all a matter of perspective and they are not the biggest fish in the pond, just a quite aggressive one.

* caveat that these 3 companies have their headquarters in different regions, post their revenue in different currencies, and who can really tell with numbers coming from China, thus a direct comparison is like looking at a bowl of fruit and try to determine which one looks sweetest

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
For anyone reading these exchanges of post, this is how you expose a shill. It's like a voigt-Kompf for replicants or asking a robot what love is.

When a shill is asked to say something positive about a competitors product, they can't, it's against their programming.

Edit: I never said I didn't like you. I never said I liked you either. I just enjoy outing the crazies.
I am here trying to end this with one or two lines and here you are putting so much effort into an essay, who is the shill ? Also, the hell is voigt-Kompf for replicants, did you seriously do a google search on human psychology to reply to a NeoGaf post ?

Pejo

I'll be honest, I've lost a lot of faith in the AAA industry as a whole, and the fact that this news is Tencent, there couldn't be a more ominous sign for the future. It's like hearing that Philip Morris just opened a brand new snack bar.

I am here trying to end this with one or two lines and here you are putting so much effort into an essay, who is the shill ? Also, the hell is voigt-Kompf for replicants, did you seriously do a google search on human psychology to reply to a NeoGaf post ?
Voigt-kampff (sp?) is from Blade runner. Come on buddy

They .. the (CCP) are already entangled with many forms of western media and other industries this is just another avenue for them to spy and spread misinformation

DESTROYA

“China is once again cracking down on video games with new political censorship that will ban international online gaming for Chinese residents trying to play or communicate with people outside of the country. “

So you can’t talk to your Chinese gaming buddy online but they can make games for the rest of the world?
Fuck you China

Top Bottom