• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

d+pad

After winning her first round match, Sharapova withdrew from Stanford. Guess she's still injured. Hopefully she'll play the US open

It's actually a different injury. Injury before French Open involved her thigh, I believe, while today's involved her left forearm. Hopefully she only withdrew as a precaution and will still play Toronto, Cincinnati and, especially, the US Open...

d+pad

Well, guess I was at least somewhat wrong about Sharapova and her new injury. It just caused her to pull out of Toronto, too. Sigh. Hopefully she'll at least be able to play Cincinnati and the US Open...

Ricker

Canada needs to jump off the Bouchard train. Consider her career dead. Hop on the Bianca Andreescu train before it leaves the station.

Yeah...she just beat Mladenovic in Washington,she is only 17,playing great...also Francoise Abanda is slowly winning some matches here and there...Bouchard needs to stop playing until her ankle is completly healed...believe it or not,she played ok today in the first 2 sets but it was obvious in the 3rd set that she was favoring that ankle...of course she has to play next week in Toronto...

d+pad

Yeah...she just beat Mladenovic in Washington,she is only 17,playing great...also Francoise Abanda is slowly winning some matches here and there...Bouchard needs to stop playing until her ankle is completly healed...believe it or not,she played ok today in the first 2 sets but it was obvious in the 3rd set that she was favoring that ankle...of course she has to play next week in Toronto...

She should take the rest of the year off, find a coach who can help change/fix some of the more horrific aspects of her game, and then come back. She's always slapping/lunging at the ball--on both sides--and has almost *no* margin for error. Drives me nuts to watch her. Sure, it can look OK when she's having a good day, but more often than not she has bad days. She needs to be more stable while hitting her groundies and she needs more margin (and, likely, more spin) as well--in my opinion, of course.

She should take the rest of the year off, find a coach who can help change/fix some of the more horrific aspects of her game, and then come back. She's always slapping/lunging at the ball--on both sides--and has almost *no* margin for error. Drives me nuts to watch her. Sure, it can look OK when she's having a good day, but more often than not she has bad days. She needs to be more stable while hitting her groundies and she needs more margin (and, likely, more spin) as well--in my opinion, of course.

That would be a pretty drastic change to her form though. Unless you're Roger Federer its almost impossible to break old habits when you're in the middle of your pro career. That form needed to be corrected back when she was a junior. Now she's stuck with it

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
And now Murray...oh well,at least Rafa and Fed are in...so far lol.

lol yikes. Well, yeah, at least they've still got them. Think this bumps up Thiem to a 3 seed and Zverev to the 4. Nadal will become number one if he reaches the semis I think.

Think I remember seeing Bouchard was training with Agassi somewhat recently.

d+pad

That would be a pretty drastic change to her form though. Unless you're Roger Federer its almost impossible to break old habits when you're in the middle of your pro career. That form needed to be corrected back when she was a junior. Now she's stuck with it

I know :| Still, she *does* need to change something if she's ever going to get anywhere near the top again. Plus, it's not like it's impossible to change a stroke here and there. Sharapova's current forehand is totally different from the one she used earlier in her career. Muguruza, too, has tinkered with her game pretty substantially in the last year or so--adding more spin to both groundies to give herself more margin. I'm not saying it would be easy, but clearly her current game isn't working for her at all, so she may as well try to improve *something.*

Wow Jack Sock actually took out Milos Raonic in Washington. That has been such a strange tournament. 2 guys ranked 200 or worse made the quarter finals including Indian Yuki Bhambri. You may see something like this happen at a 250 event, but rarely at an ATP 500 event.

Deadman

Montreal projected quarters:

Nadal/Del Potro vs Raonic
Zverev vs Tsonga

Dimitrov vs Thiem
Federer vs Nishikori

If Nadal gets to the semi finals he regains world number 1.

Can't believe Federer's never played against Nadal at the US Open.

That's pretty amazing. Would be pretty cool to see it for the first time this year.

Montreal projected quarters:

Nadal/Del Potro vs Raonic
Zverev vs Tsonga

Dimitrov vs Thiem
Federer vs Nishikori

If Nadal gets to the semi finals he regains world number 1.

Unbelievable that he could get number 1 back. What a crazy year.

Tough luck for Tommy Paul who had 3 match points against Nishikori but couldn't get the job done. I like his game a lot.

On the womens side though, Kvitova went the entire match against Cici Bellis without holding serve. Kvitova looked completely lost on the court.

d+pad

On the womens side though, Kvitova went the entire match against Cici Bellis without holding serve. Kvitova looked completely lost on the court.

She wasn't injured or sick? I saw that scoreline and my eyes about popped out of my head. I mean, not only did she win just two games, but to Bellis? Huh.

She wasn't injured or sick? I saw that scoreline and my eyes about popped out of my head. I mean, not only did she win just two games, but to Bellis? Huh.

Something was off for sure. I think that wrist still isn't 100%.

In men's news, Querry just won Cabo! I think that's his 3rd ATP title this year. He may be the #1 American by the end of the year

Diamond

Tough luck for Tommy Paul who had 3 match points against Nishikori but couldn't get the job done. I like his game a lot.

Very fun match. Paul comes out of nowhere for me (just saw he won junior's Roland Garros against Fritz 2 years ago) but he has a flashy game, hope he can build on his Washington run.

US tennis has a lot of promising players. Now with Paul, Fritz, Donaldson, Mmoh, Tiafoe, Escobedo, Kozlov, Opelka, Rubin... There's a good chance at least some of them become serious contenders for big titles in the coming years.

Niraj

In men's news, Querry just won Cabo! I think that's his 3rd ATP title this year. He may be the #1 American by the end of the year

He's effectively 9th in the Race to London since Djokovic and Stan are done for the year. Something to think about :p

With Djokovic and Wawrinka out, he's pretty much guaranteed his first apperance at the Tour Finals this year too. Needs his first deep run in a Slam now (this year's close 4R loss to Raonic at Wimbledon is his best yet). Been saying for years he's the real deal, but the next season and a half are huge - see whether he plateaus or rises right to the top.

With Djokovic and Wawrinka out, he's pretty much guaranteed his first apperance at the Tour Finals this year too. Needs his first deep run in a Slam now (this year's close 4R loss to Raonic at Wimbledon is his best yet). Been saying for years he's the real deal, but the next season and a half are huge - see whether he plateaus or rises right to the top.

I would put a lot of stock into Zverev right now. Gun to my head "Will Zverev win a slam before 2020?" I would say yes

ShyGuy

Zverev making both the ATP Finals* and the "Next Gen" ATP Finals is an impressive feat IMO

He is clearly the best of the young breed, and seems to be the one rare player who looks to be improving mentally not just physically.

He also seems to "care" about Tennis moreso than the others

*assumption is of course he will make the ATP Finals

miserable

Looks like Sara Errani failed a doping test from earlier this year. Also, Roberta Vinci's home was broken into, and the thieves stole all her trophies.
Not a good week for italian tennis.

i think Zverev has a chance to qualify for Milan

LRJe7Xc.png

Looks like Sara Errani failed a doping test from earlier this year. Also, Roberta Vinci's home was broken into, and the thieves stole all her trophies.
Not a good week for italian tennis.

She gives the most stereotypical Italian excuse ever. You can't make this up.

Erik Gudris @ATNtennis
ITF says Errani, when staying at parents' home, ingested mother's anti-cancer meds when mother dropped it into tortellini by mistake.

d+pad

Ostapenko Lost in the first round in Toronto. I'm surprised her big game doesn't translate well on the fast hard courts

To be fair, she won the first set easily and then lost the next two in tie-breaks. Happens sometimes, and Lepchenko isn't a terrible player.

Anyway, hopefully Ostapenko plays Cincinnati next and does better there. I'd love to see her go deep at the USO!

Niraj

Guess Berdych withdrew before his match today as well, Escobedo got to take his place.

Ricker

Who needs Genie...Shapovalov in the house,along with Wayne Gretzky and William Shatner lol ;)...

Might try and go see Fed tomorrow beat up on Polansky ;)

Genie is playing doubles with Pliskova,number 1 in the world,but she will probably lose there also ;)

Top Bottom