• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terminator: Dark Fate - Official Trailer

VulcanRaven

The first trailer was just released:

Behind the scenes featurette:

jNeLISU.jpg

I think this deserves its own thread. Trailer looks great in my opinion. Genisys was disapponting so I'm excited that Cameron is back. He is working as a co-writer and producer.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Looks pretty badass. I’m hoping it doesn’t mostly take place during the day, that was what I hated the most about T4.

I actually enjoyed Genisys and one of the things it did great was recapture that robots and lasers in the dark feel of the original judgement day shot from T2. Here is hoping the movie is as batshit crazy and fun as the last

Also yes the girl power emphasis means this will easily get better reviews than the last one

Last edited:

kunonabi

Cg is really rough and I'm not really digging the new terminators. Have they said why this new girl is so important yet?

Reactions: 888
I feel it's time they went back to man vs machine violence instead of the mainly machine on machine like all the movies after the 1st one. =(
Then how do you make ridiculous CGI fight scenes with dudes smashing eachother through concrete walls?

Genisys was disapponting so I'm excited that Cameron is back. He is working as a co-writer and producer.
I thought he was the producer. I remember promo videos of him showering praise all over the movie.

Ulysses 31

Then how do you make ridiculous CGI fight scenes with dudes smashing eachother through concrete walls?

Guess they'll have to become creative again and come up with other kinds of spectacles than punching and throwing machines through walls. :lollipop_grinning:

Perhaps we could have large scale battles between the humans and machine factions for once or show how John Connor's tactics brought humanity back from the brink. :unsure:

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
the girl power thing is fine, but hollywood needs to learn to show not tell when it comes to that stuff

john wick 3 did it right, terminator 2 did it right, it's kinda pathetic that almost 20 years on no valuable lessons have been learned

and while i'm glad this seems to be a direct and proper sequel to terminator 2, how many times have they told us this shit

and we keep lapping it up

fuck it day 1

:(

Last edited:

Skyr

I expected this to be a bit more grounded with implementation of some practical effects.
What it seems to be is another hollywood cheapskate CGI fest.
I wouldn't have a problem with it if it actually would have been well done but this looks godawful.

Camerons involvement in this seems to be worth nothing. I'm done with hoping for a decent T2 sequel.

Last edited:

plushyp

Didn't like it at all. So the new Luna-terminator can leave its shell behind and just morph like Venom lol? They spoiled the brother dying at 0:45 and I get the feeling he might be used as another terminator unless he was there as cannon fodder. Not at all sold on Mackenzie Davis as the new good-terminator. The shot at 1:14 with her standing like the Men in Black coffee aliens was unintentionally hilarious.

That’s not what I expected.

Did I read correctly that this is a direct sequel to T2? So 3 and after never happened?

I’m confused on the timeline and plot at this point. I’m trying to piece together the why/who/what of the trailer but the plot isn’t what I thought we were gonna get, it seems

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
No thanks.

Also why would there be an old, grey-bearded Arnie when they melted him down in 2 and this is supposedly ignoring every sequel after 2?

Have they said why this new girl is so important yet?
The girl they're trying to protect, Dani, is a hybrid Terminator/human targeted for termination.

From what little I can gather of the plot details, it sounds a little bit like Terminator Salvation set in the present day. If you recall, Marcus Wright was also a human-terminator hybrid experiment, though it is no longer considered canon. Personally, I liked Terminator Salvation but I still consider Judgment Day to be my favorite in the series.

Dark Fate looks like it will be a decent enough Terminator movie. It certainly looks better than Rise of the Machines.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

It’s a cheap cash grab for Cameron to fund his avatar films

Why would he fuck up a movie people want to see, to fund movies no one wants to see.... what a dingleberry

Lol yes this time travelling robot apocalypse film series should be more down to earth

Smh

Seriously, that was your understanding of his statement? :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Didn't like it at all. So the new Luna-terminator can leave its shell behind and just morph like Venom lol? They spoiled the brother dying at 0:45 and I get the feeling he might be used as another terminator unless he was there as cannon fodder.

He's not leaving anything behind. He is able to replicate himself.

Think Agent Smith from Matrix Reloaded. Except instead of a human host, he just needs access to some metal.

kunonabi

The girl they're trying to protect, Dani, is a hybrid Terminator/human targeted for termination.

From what little I can gather of the plot details, it sounds a little bit like Terminator Salvation set in the present day. If you recall, Marcus Wright was also a human-terminator hybrid experiment, though it is no longer considered canon. Personally, I liked Terminator Salvation but I still consider Judgment Day to be my favorite in the series.

Dark Fate looks like it will be a decent enough Terminator movie. It certainly looks better than Rise of the Machines.

That sounds ridiculously stupid.

Terminator really can't escape this same formula, can it.

Kinda looks on the cheap side, which is most likely due to the lame-duck director. Wasn't instantly repellent like the Genisys trailer was but I don't know about this series at this point...As of right now I'm willing to give it a chance though.

JimiNutz

Banned
I was prepared to be bitterly disappointed but I don't think it looks THAT bad.

CG is def a bit ropey in this trailer and it doesn't particularly feel like a Terminator film but it also looks better than the last 3 films.

Arnold doing a Q&A on reddit.
https://reddit.com/r/movies/comments/bs2n3o/were_back_heres_your_terminator_dark_fate_trailer/

Had no idea that he is actually fairly active on reddit. Such a legend. Love this guy.

This is amazing. Arnie is such a fucking legend.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Seriously, that was your understanding of his statement? :messenger_smirking:

yes i used the literal reading. how are you taking "wish this was down to Earth"? are you reading it ironically, as if he is asking for more crazy robot CGI? or is this a meta joke about something i don't have context for?

maybe provide your own reading instead of just questioning mine. then i can compare my reading to yours. as is, you are just attacking me for having the wrong opinion without providing anything to counter it.

in an era when CGI is used in every movie made, why is it gratuitous to use it in a series about time travelling killer robots? idgi

Last edited:
Looks terrible as expected.

It should have been a dark 18 rated sci fi horror like the first movie. That's the only way to reboot this franchise.

Skyr

Meh, Looks like the usual over the top CGI blockbuster. It's probably going to be fun enough to watch once after some beers, but that's it.

Why does 28 years old T2 look visually better than this ?

Money. They don't feel the need to proper practical effects and stunts anymore because mediocre CGI has become dirtcheap in comparison nowdays.
I can't get over how terrible it looks in the trailer. I hope they at least improve on it until release.

VulcanRaven

Meh, Looks like the usual over the top CGI blockbuster. It's probably going to be fun enough to watch once after some beers, but that's it.

Why does 28 years old T2 look visually better than this ?
I don't think T2 looks very good visually. Compare it to the first Terminator movie. That looks much better.

Last edited:

NahaNago

This trailer just seemed too bright and happy. Terminator, I feel should almost be like a horror action movie. This felt like fast and the furious and the expendables put together.

Top Bottom