• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terminator: Dark Fate- trailer 2

SpartanN92

Banned
I don't really remember that much about it apart from it just feeling like an inferior version of T2. It wasn't awful but it felt like a poor imitation of the previous movie.

Best thing about T3 was probably the ending. I like that they went there and fucking nuked everyone.

I love the ending to T3. I wish this new movie followed the continuity of that story line.

Looks good so far..
Never understood all the hate for Salvation though. If you judge it on it's own merits I thought it was pretty good.
Terminator Salvation is my third favorite movie in the series after Terminator 2 and the original. Ironically, the Terminator movie fans actually wanted to see - set farther along in the future war - might have been one of the sequels to Terminator Salvation. But that is the problem with the movies right now, including Dark Fate, where new entries are pre-emptive franchising for a new trilogy.

Last edited:

Caffeine

Ye I liked salvation its about what I expected the future to be like. honestly they should have kept going that fight wasn't over.

Last edited:

Acidizer

Banned
Looks like one those US TV dramas. When I think of the Terminator, I think cold, futuristic, tech horror. This has none of that.

First one was perfect. It was like a horror film, dark, brutal, brooding. The sequel is perfect but it a total different way though it is more of an action film. The rest are just dull and this one looks bad too you could never recapture what made the first one electrifying but I think they could do better at least. The first two films are iconic.

Breakage

First one was perfect. It was like a horror film, dark, brutal, brooding. The sequel is perfect but it a total different way though it is more of an action film. The rest are just dull and this one looks bad too you could never recapture what made the first one electrifying but I think they could do better at least. The first two films are iconic.
Yup, I agree. I ignored everything after T2. It just keeps getting worse with each entry.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
That trailer was a lot better. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Glad that Cameron is involved this time.

thequestion

This new Terminator film, looks like it will fit snuggly in the “third best terminator” category. If Arnie is allowed to be badass in this film - have the enhanced chick taken out of the action, and Arnold steps up and kicks butt, thus saves the heroes at the end of the movie- that would help in generating some good word of mouth for the film. If this turns into a feminist propaganda piece, ala captain marvel, then the terminator franchise is dead and buried for a lot of fans.

John Conner will have 5 minutes of screen time imo.

Azurro

Banned
It's nice to see Linda Hamilton in this...in theory, but in practice she looks ready to be put in a home. I don't think Arnold will have much of a role in this and since we have the director saying how much of a SJW movie this is going to be, I have little hope of a decent movie.

Last edited:
God. I dont know. Im always up for more terminator. I mean Genysis had its gaggle of probles, but i can enjoy it some. What ive seen from dark fate so far, its how i felt about genesys. Im not expecting a fantastic entry to the series. For me, genesys is a shaky 5/10, and dark fate is making me preemptively see it as a 4-5/10. I havent seen it obviously, so i could be wrong. I dont much like giving a movie a score before I see it. Theres just things that irk me quite a bit, so I hope im wrong when i go see it in theatres...early bird special of course on a weekday. :D

-Arcadia-

Banned
Aged Linda Hamilton played a lot better in this trailer. Less awkward, embarrassing Grandma Connor, more like an aged Sarah Connor.

(I think the sunglasses are awful though, the attempt to be youthful cool really drawing out how old she is, and if they were still filming, I’d suggest dropping them from every scene)

The movie in general looks better here, and with Cameron on board, it’s almost enough hope to think that the clown show of endless Terminator abortions, post 3 (I liked that movie too. I know now that at least 3 of us exist worldwide, haha), will be coming to an end with this one.

I’m not sure though. The director seems like a dumb asshole, the movie is really giving off those lefty vibes that are all over Hollywood these days, and it kind of seems we’re in for a Force Awakens style story where the old characters bow out, and we’re left with... these. Hopefully it goes better than that trilogy. Frankly, I think it should just end with this one, but maybe that’s extreme Terminator burnout speaking.

Said it before but if this franchise was to be rejuvenated, it needs to go back to its roots. Sci-fi horror thriller, dark and brutal.

OG Terminator was basically a robot Michael Myers. That’s what I want to see.

JimiNutz

Banned
Said it before but if this franchise was to be rejuvenated, it needs to go back to its roots. Sci-fi horror thriller, dark and brutal.

I'd like this mixed with the future war.
Have the movie set in the immediate aftermath of the machines taking over. Humanity haven't really managed to put up much of a resistance yet and are in hiding. The machines send out the first Terminator models to infiltrate and exterminate the remaining humans.

So a dark brutal horror film filled with paranoia set in a world where humanity is on its last legs and all hope seems lost.

discait

Banned
I just can't take an elderly Linda Hamilton seriously as anything resembling an action star. And holy shit, they really did show the entire movie in the trailer. Thanks for saving me the time/money of watching it in the theaters I guess.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I think this movie is going to go full on Woke. Watch the trailer again. there is clearly a scene at some sort of border/border wall. Then there is also a scene where the T Juan thousand is dressed as a border agent and goes on some sort of killing spree of all the WHYTE border agents. It even looks like people are locked in cages.

I also remember either reading or hearing that the movie wanted to touch on contemperory issues like open borders. Its also set in or near Mexico or its border.

They are going to bombard the movie with 2 messages. One WOMANZ and the WOMANATOR. So WOMANZ can do anything men can do, even be the leader of the resistance. Also the Womantaor will be about gender identity and how in the future there is no WOMANZ or MANZ because we can alter ourselves.

Second message will be borders are bad. Evil WHYTE border patrol are evil and abuse all the good BRAWNZ who just want to cross the border for that American dream. See how evil a wall is! See how evil ICE is! Even the T-Juanthousand is not as evil as ICE, and he saves the day by killing them and freeing the BRAWNS from their cages!

This. Play to the original concepts strengths. Get rid of the bloated time baggage and just start again. Get rid of grandpa Arnold and find a new Terminator. And minimalize that shit to the bare basics of what made the first film so awesome. Same applies to Predator.

Last edited:
I'm not getting my hopes up for this movie, but this trailer looks 10x better than the first.

I disagree. It was the same trailer as the first but with the punchlines added to each clip. Basically showing far too much of the film. Notable was the blood bit. It seems they wanted to show "the fans" that the film is indeed violent. Doesn't make the film good though. My fault for watching, as action movie trailers all do that nowadays. Still, looking forward to it though.

scalman

man he still looks good for that age
Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Gabriel-Luna-Mens-Health-2019-Photo-Shoot-002.jpg

Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Gabriel-Luna-Mens-Health-2019-Photo-Shoot-001.jpg

Arimer

It looks ok. I kind of think they are complicating the formula though which is the problem. Terminator 1 and 2. Unrelenting bad guy, Overwhelmed bodyguard. Now everything has to be more more more which is leading to just how many heroes do we have? And now a villain that can split into two. It's just spreading the stuff too thin.

kunonabi

Why does everyone hate T3?
I rewatched it recently and it isn’t bad at all.

I actually like T3 more than most people. I think its biggest issues were the silliness of the humor, which was in fashion for big blockbusters of that period for some reason, the lame evil Terminator, the cg, and Arnold's big acting moment when he get possessed that just didnt work.

Still, its positives still put it ahead of everything that came after. I liked the direction they went with John, Claire Danes is always great, the graveyard and big car chase sequences were spectacular, and the ending was for my money pretty brilliant. I find it pretty watchable all things considered.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I think this movie is going to go full on Woke. Watch the trailer again. there is clearly a scene at some sort of border/border wall. Then there is also a scene where the T Juan thousand is dressed as a border agent and goes on some sort of killing spree of all the WHYTE border agents. It even looks like people are locked in cages.

I also remember either reading or hearing that the movie wanted to touch on contemperory issues like open borders. Its also set in or near Mexico or its border.

They are going to bombard the movie with 2 messages. One WOMANZ and the WOMANATOR. So WOMANZ can do anything men can do, even be the leader of the resistance. Also the Womantaor will be about gender identity and how in the future there is no WOMANZ or MANZ because we can alter ourselves.

Second message will be borders are bad. Evil WHYTE border patrol are evil and abuse all the good BRAWNZ who just want to cross the border for that American dream. See how evil a wall is! See how evil ICE is! Even the T-Juanthousand is not as evil as ICE, and he saves the day by killing them and freeing the BRAWNS from their cages!
Evil whyte cops have died in all the terminators and a womanz was the main protagonist since the beginning of the series. Were you unwoke when you watched them?

Last edited:
I agree, the trailer contains better content. But it still looks very "meh" to me. Maybe I just cannot get excited by these kinds of films these days? Far more interested in heavily character-driven films like the upcoming Joker.

mortal

Gold Member
Turns out the movie ain't that good, shocking I know!

Also appears to have plenty of woke messaging.

Ha I was just about to post this, but wanted to check to see if anyone else already had.
Pretty much what I expected. There really is no point in making any more of Terminator films.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
It ended with 2. What more was there to do? They beat fate, saved the world, and it was a beautiful ending. Two all-time classics in a row.

Not that I don’t appreciate Cameron trying to fix years of bad fan-fiction (I like T3, though), but it appears he wasn’t up to the task, as producer, either. Sometimes, it really is just best to leave a classic story alone, and let it end.

A lesson even more poignant in an age when nostalgia is being harvested, commercially processed, and sold back to millennials at a rate that I don’t think is matched by any other cultural era in history.

Everything ends, and fades into beautiful memories. That’s okay. Trying to reanimate the corpse of the things you loved, either as a fan, or a creator, artificially...

Well, take a bit of advice from another treasured memory.

jZPJeJL.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom