• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terra Battle (Sakaguchi/Mistwalker) announced for iOS/Android [Staff, first details]

Some news from the Famitsu interview :
-Will release in September.
-Freemium. The game is balanced so that the scenario is beatable without having to spend money.
-Uematsu is composing 20 tracks.
-Sakaguchi is planning some sort of collaboration with other game creators.
-Would like to make a console version in the future if given the opportunity.

EVERYONE says that. heck phantasia ios is 'beatable', but requires retarded amount of extra grinding.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kimihiko Fujisaka is freelance. He did the character designs for Drakengard as well, including the recent Drakengard 3.

Ah sorry, I meant to put "contract employee" in there.

Or, put perhaps a better way, that it's the same person doing both logos and it's not like they're cloning their old publisher's promotional artist.

I'd love some sales data on how well JRPG's do on ios/android, I think you're vastly overestimating how well they do on mobile, though I may be wrong. Plus the kind of JRPG's gamers want from the Gooch are just not possible on those devices.

If the games are not possible on modern cell phones, they definitely aren't possible on the 3ds. And most likely the vita.

Are they wanting big budget hd rpgs with normal controls? That means they'll exist on ps3 and that's nothing compared to who will buy shit on phones

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Ah sorry, I meant to put "contract employee" in there.

Or, put perhaps a better way, that it's the same person doing both logos and it's not like they're cloning their old publisher's promotional artist.

Oh it's definitely Fujisaka, no doubt about that. Just clarifying since people still get confused about how Mistwalker operates, some even still think it's a company full of Square game designers when nothing could be further from the truth.

Skilletor

Japan please stop with this. We want real RPGs, not this mobile stuff!

F2P shilling aside, I don't see why being mobile disqualifies a game from being a "real" rpg. I think it's one of the platforms most suited to the genre since touch controls work really well with them.

So anyone have anything nice to say about Party Wave or Blade Guardian? Because they looked kinda like shovelware. Their current offerings on mobile concern me more about how good this will be than the platform. Then again, they don't exactly develop the games themselves, right?

From the interview it sounds like they're only planning on unveiling the game proper in August. It's pretty hard to get excited for this knowing it's a small scale Mistwalker f2p game for smartphones though. Their mobile output has not been very convincing to say the least.

As for why it's called "Terra Battle", apparently there are 3 ranks of magic power in the game, and they're Mega, Giga, and Tera. Uh huh. Whatever you say Gooch.

The guy clearly lost his touch.

I don't expect anything of a F2P RPG, well I expect grinding....lots of it.

A few years from now every Japanese game could be mobile-only....

Pretty much

Will we ever get another gaming flip phone?

110328122vx.jpg

If we are going that route lets just solve the biggest issue right now

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I actually wanted it for Android.

Seriously.

I couldn't be happier.

They will get the success they deserve!

YES.

YEEEEEEEEEEEES.

So if this game were on a console or handheld you wouldn't be happier? You're fooling no one. Sort of like when a child can't have something and they say "I didn't want it anyway!"

wrowa

blaming Sony/Columbia Pictures for TSW being a studio collapsing mega-bomb?

No idea. I've never seen him say anything negative regarding Sony publicly, though.

All of his console games so far have been funded either by Microsoft or Nintendo and since neither party releases PlayStation games for obvious reasons... Do I really need to finish this sentence? It's pretty obvious.

People like to claim that Sakaguchi not liking Ken Kutaragi is the reason, but it's probably much simpler than that. Neither Sony nor 3rd party publishers have been interested in funding a (multi-plat) console RPG made by Mistwalker. And now that Mistwalker seems to be focusing on smartphone games, it seems more and more unlikely that this is going to change in the near future. Mistwalker's pretty much a victim of the lack of interest for JRPGs, really. There's not a huge (publisher) demand for the kind of games Mistwalker makes anymore.

For what it's worth though, one of the 8-4 guys (can't remember if it was sprsk or JohnTV) said in the recent podcast that he heard that Sakaguchi was gearing up for a bigger project again.

damn mobile, but it's Sak

Hopefully the gameplay will be something that one of the 3 will jump on board to port.

Need to see pics and price first.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
You should put most of the blame on gamers who have mostly given up on console JRPGs. Nintendo & MS can't keep funding flops, especially with rising development costs.

Dont know about blue dragon or Lost Odyssey but the last story was considered a success.

udivision

Pretty much

Will we ever get another gaming flip phone?

110328122vx.jpg

If we are going that route lets just solve the biggest issue right now

This seems like the solution to the whole handheld/mobile problem.

The problem is it'd take Apple (probably not even samsung since their line up is so diverse) to release something like this right along with the next iPhone, and that'll never happen.

wrowa

Dont know about blue dragon or Lost Odyssey but the last story was considered a success.

Success is a relative term. Last Story was very successful for XSEED - but they only released an already translated game across the US. They didn't need to shoulder the development costs or even just the costs of translating the game into English. It might even considered to be a success by NoE, but even though their stakes were higher (since they had to recoup the costs of translating the game into 5 different languages), they don't look at a game with a "has it recouped its development budget?" mindset either. That's being done in Japan - and I can't remember that NCL ever claimed Last Story to be a success. I might be wrong there, of course.

(And for the record: I'd really love to see a Last Story sequel. I really wasn't a fan of the original, but it I do think that it had tons of potential.)

This seems like the solution to the whole handheld/mobile problem.

The problem is it'd take Apple (probably not even samsung since their line up is so diverse) to release something like this right along with the next iPhone, and that'll never happen.

There are controller add-ons both for Andorid and iOS. They're officially supported even and it's not difficult at all to integrate them into a game. Of course, next to no one owns such a thing, since the vast majority of people doesn't play more "serious" games that would need a controller on smartphones to begin with.

There are about a billion gaming tablets made in China, though.

wrowa

If it comes out in English I'll try it.

Since Sakaguchi is at Japan Expo in France this week to talk about his new project, that's pretty much a given. He's also being joined by Gravity Europe, the European publisher of Ragnarok Online. So, yeah, if he's not talking about a different surprise project, it's definitely going to see an international release.

duckroll

Terra Battle staff:
Producer/Concept: Hironobu Sakaguchi
Director/Programming: Koji Ono
Character Design: Kimihiko Fujisaka
Game Design: Yuki Nishimura
Graphic Design: Kenei Hayama
Music: Nobuo Uematsu

All of his console games so far have been funded either by Microsoft or Nintendo and since neither party releases PlayStation games for obvious reasons... Do I really need to finish this sentence? It's pretty obvious.

The only thing that seems obvious is that he went (was forced) independent and Sony wasn't willing to foot the bill for his projects like MS/Nintendo were.
What isn't obvious to me is this supposed 'dislike' towards Sony that some claim that he has, i.e.:

People like to claim that Sakaguchi not liking Ken Kutaragi is the reason

That's fine and it honestly wouldn't surprise me, but I haven't seen any direct evidence to support that, just hearsay. There were probably quite a few smaller production companies looking at Sony to take them under their umbrella post-PS2 and Sony has a storied history of not only supporting studios like these, but empowering the JRPG genre. A lot changed last gen, as we all know. The Western market exploded, Sony took a damaging sucker-punch from the PS3 reveal/pricing, and I have no doubt that a shit load of plans changed due to that.
The extent of the damage JRPGs took in the global market because of those factors we'll never know for sure. It's entirely possible that even if PS3 continued where the PS2 left off the overall worldwide popularity of the JRPG brand would have still tanked.

Next, you point out:

Neither Sony nor 3rd party publishers have been interested in funding a (multi-plat) console RPG made by Mistwalker. And now that Mistwalker seems to be focusing on smartphone games, it seems more and more unlikely that this is going to change in the near future. Mistwalker's pretty much a victim of the lack of interest for JRPGs, really. There's not a huge (publisher) demand for the kind of games Mistwalker makes anymore.

I agree 100%- but for me it circles back to the assumption of why would Sakaguchi be mad at Sony for that? It's seems like a market issue in general to me.
Didn't Mistwalker also require outsourced assistance from Artoon & feelplus, on top of financial backing from MS Game Studios, in order to get Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey made? It was a small studio carried simply by the popularity of the "From the father of Final Fantasy" hype. Unfortunately it seemed like a lot of the XBox market didn't care much for either the JRPG genre, nor the godfather of a series that had never been on a MS platform before (sans XI).
I mean, it's not like his games on the 360 or Wii set the world on fire after all of that. He struggled when he didn't have a juggernaut publisher/developer like Squaresoft behind him. He also didn't have the supporting cast of guys like Kitase, Ito, Nojima, etc. helping to carry his projects.

Sakaguchi just seems like the John Carpenter of the industry to me these past few years.
He hit his high notes during a fantastic time in the medium, rode a very successful wave and made a respectable name for himself, and time caught up with him and (continuing the surfer analogy, in honor of The Gooch) is now struggling to get up-right on his board. Now he's going where former greats go to die: the f2p cell-phone game market.

Without Square, Sakaguchi has struggled. It's that simple. He saved the company, helped build the company up, but it ultimately became his own Frankenstein monster.

Top Bottom