• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terra Battle (Sakaguchi/Mistwalker) announced for iOS/Android [Staff, first details]

bon

I'm glad he's still active in some capacity. I just wonder if it's going to be a proper RPG or a "wait 5 hours or pay 99 cents to recharge your stamina" RPG.

wrowa

I'd like an 16bit style RPG from Sakaguchi very much, sorry. If the game's good and not some rushed out shit I couldn't care less whether or not it's on a smartphone.

Cheebo

Banned
No Windows Phone, so I won't be playing it.

If you want mobile games Windows Phone is not a good platform to purchase, it is good at a lot of things but do not expect much third party support at all. Basically you could call it the Nintendo of mobile platforms in that way.

KooopaKid

Banned
Seriously iOS/Android is the best platform for JRPGs nowadays. You could play something like Child Of Light or FFVII quite easily with no compromise on tablets or smartphones.

Maedhros

Doing a 3DS or Vita game would be "fallen" far more than doing a iOS/Android game. iOS/Android are way bigger platforms who sell a ton more games in both $$ and in quantity than any other handheld could dream of.

People need to stop acting like iOS/Android are some how lower. The other handhelds, hell the CONSOLES wish they could have the kind of gaming revenue as iOS/Android brings in. iOS/Android is a major element of the gaming industry that would be far worse shape right now without it.

I mean making games on the most successful gaming platforms in the industry today or making hardcore gamers on a message board happy? I mean it's silly to assume most developers would pick the later. Especially small ones like Mistwalker.

No one denies that these two platforms make money.

They just fucking sucks for gaming anything that is too time consuming.

Tiu Neo

If it's not f2p, and it's made with touchscreens in mind (none of that virtual controller on screen bullshit), I'm ok with that.

Chara-designer who seems to be the same of the last story? for a rpg on ios and android?

1404212200-tumblr-lk8j6qmj7k1qzu5wc.gif

If it's any consolation, he's actually working on an RPG here as opposed to another surf-related casual game.

I don't think anyone should be too surprised, when the writing has been on the wall for this long. There aren't exactly many legs for the company to stand on without external money being funnelled in by a publisher like Microsoft or Nintendo to pool into making a big console RPG, so smartphones were going to be an inevitable route to take.

Hopefully it might be good, and not some swill designed to transparently vacuum up as much money as it can from the player without any regard for fun, value and gameplay.

Dragon

Banned
Doing a 3DS or Vita game would be "fallen" far more than doing a iOS/Android game. iOS/Android are way bigger platforms who sell a ton more games in both $$ and in quantity than any other handheld could dream of.

People need to stop acting like iOS/Android are some how lower. The other handhelds, hell the CONSOLES wish they could have the kind of gaming revenue as iOS/Android brings in. iOS/Android is a major element of the gaming industry that would be far worse shape right now without it.

I mean making games on the most successful gaming platforms in the industry today or making hardcore gamers on a message board happy? I mean it's silly to assume most developers would pick the later. Especially small ones like Mistwalker.

It makes sense for Mistwalker to do this but people want to play jRPGs with a controller in some sort of way.

The games that succeed on mobile and the games people want in this thread are not the same thing.

Lefein

Banned
With the way the Japanese gaming market is, expect to see a lot of this. Hopefully at least one of the Gen8 consoles will catch on over there so we get more games. If not for this games sake, but what it represents, this makes me sad. I grew up with a smorgasbord of JRPGs growing up in the 80's and 90's. I don't know if that will ever really happen again.

What is the story of mistwalker. Did Microsoft fund the studio?

Mistwalker is a skeleton staff of game concept, story, designers. They lay out the ideas, but someone else has to build the game.

So basically, their existence and sustainability of productivity is pretty much determined by the availability of external teams and a publisher willing to fund their ideas first-and-foremost.

Shiggy

No Windows Phone, so I won't be playing it.

Yeah, if it's not playable on my Nokia 3210, then I won't be getting it.

What's the deal with bringing up dead platforms again? huh

I'm just glad it's not on 3DS/Vita. Prefer a device that I always have around me; my 3DS has been lying on some shelf for some time now.

If it's any consolation, he's actually working on an RPG here as opposed to another surf-related casual game.

I don't think anyone should be too surprised, when the writing has been on the wall for this long. There aren't exactly many legs for the company to stand on without external money being funnelled in by a publisher like Microsoft or Nintendo to pool into making a big console RPG, so smartphones were going to be an inevitable route to take.

Hopefully it might be good, and not some swill designed to transparently vacuum up as much money as it can from the player without any regard for fun, value and gameplay.

Well the traditional path for a classic, beloved Japanese studio/talent is to abandon consoles, make some mobile tripe, have it flop because its not puzzle and dragons or clash of clans, then go out of business. So I guess they're just following that path.

I'd love some sales data on how well JRPG's do on ios/android, I think you're vastly overestimating how well they do on mobile, though I may be wrong. Plus the kind of JRPG's gamers want from the Gooch are just not possible on those devices.

Sinople

Some news from the Famitsu interview :
-Will release in September.
-Freemium. The game is balanced so that the scenario is beatable without having to spend money.
-Uematsu is composing 20 tracks.
-Sakaguchi is planning some sort of collaboration with other game creators.
-Would like to make a console version in the future if given the opportunity.

I think Turn Based Jrpgs and SRPGs could thrive on Smartphones

And if they ever make another gaming smartphone (like Xperia Play) or factor in controller support I think I could accept the inevitable transition

Its gonna happen sooner or later and honestly the only differentiating factor is the physical controls.

Im gonna hold onto my Vita for a long time to come but its not an overwhelmingly gloomy picture IF publishers put the same amount of effort into Mobile games that they put into Portable titles

Its a really mixed bag for now though.

Negator

As expected. Oh well. He had a good run.

^ Freemium? There goes any notion that the game might have been good.

Some Nobody

-Freemium. The game is balanced so that the scenario is beatable without having to spend money.

Damn. Guess this was the Sakaguchi/Uematsu collab.

As expected. Oh well. He had a good run.

^ Freemium? There goes any notion that the game might have been good.

Yeah

The Freemium model is really a bad fit for RPGs and several other types of games IMHO

Such a shame. Just sell a whole game on Mobile.

wrowa

F2P? That's unfortunate. But, well, that way I can at least try it for free, I guess. I agree that traditional RPGs just aren't the kind of games that work well with an F2P scheme, though. But it can't get any worse than Tales of Phantasia at least.

Hopefully we'll get some actual screenshots soon.

Heyt

Banned

Sounds good enough. I hope they can translate this game into a full experience without microtransactions the same way GunHo did with Puzzle & Dragons.

Its sad because a great RPG on mobile is totally doable

Instead the focus is on making the most money with the lowest amount of effort possible.

Not sure if the standard will ever be raised since people on Mobile will blow money on anything

Pikma

Banned
Man, what the fuck's Nintendo waiting to give this guys a new project? I actually would be surprised if they aren't kinda working on something though, seeing how Nintendo is so open to funding 2nd party projects right now, plus they obviously have a good relationship, aaand after The Last Story I think the audience is there already, as small as it may be, just as it is for Xeno games.
iOS/Android is a major element of the gaming industry that would be far worse shape right now without it.
Oh how I thank the gods that iOS and Android gaming exists then, they've helped move the industry forward so much, man, what haven't they done for us? We should actually be grateful King.com and Rovio exist, they've totally changed the game, in a good way.

duckroll

F2P? That's unfortunate. But, well, that way I can at least try it for free, I guess. I agree that traditional RPGs just aren't the kind of games that work well with an F2P scheme, though. But it can't get any worse than Tales of Phantasia at least.

Hopefully we'll get some actual screenshots soon.

From the interview it sounds like they're only planning on unveiling the game proper in August. It's pretty hard to get excited for this knowing it's a small scale Mistwalker f2p game for smartphones though. Their mobile output has not been very convincing to say the least.

As for why it's called "Terra Battle", apparently there are 3 ranks of magic power in the game, and they're Mega, Giga, and Tera. Uh huh. Whatever you say Gooch.

balgajo

Oh how I thank the gods that iOS and Android gaming exists then, they've helped move the industry so much, man, what haven't they done for us? We should actually be grateful King.com and Rovio exist, they've changed the industry, in a good way.

671256e55e7b94c478f77c4dd2aa2641afb98ec711bc9be66307aab25cd881fe.jpg

Top Bottom