• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria cancelled on Stadia as Google bans the developer for no apparently no reason

lifa-cobex

I could be talking out my ass on this but....

Wouldn't banning our email like that be in some way illegal?
Here me out....

If you have all your bills, accounts and contact information linked to the account that you agreed apon with T@S. Wouldn't that cause severe issues with your homelike activity.
More to the point though. What happens if that is your work or business email?
Google would effectively be stopping you from receiving a wage or income which i'm not sure if an outside company has the right to do?

Last edited:

Miles708

I could be talking out my ass on this but....

Wouldn't banning our email like that be in some way illegal?
Here me out....

If you have all your bills, accounts and contact information linked to the account that you agreed apon with T@S. Wouldn't that cause severe issues with your homelike activity.
More to the point though. What happens if that is your work or business email?
Google would effectively be stopping you from receiving a wadge or income which i'm not sure if an outside company has the right to do?
Businesses getting locked out of their decade-old work business gmail account, or out of their developer account (for Android apps developing and publishing) is something that regularly happens. Only most high-profile cases get noticed and, eventually, resolved.

I, too, am not sure how this is legal. And even if it is, there's clearly an abuse of power at play.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

You can purchase stuff trade goods for other goods and get locked out of it all because of a TOS violation. That seems like a shady and crappy way to do business.

Google is a complete shitstain in the tech world and Stadia was bound to fail because outside of search engines, cloud servers and Youtube (which they bought) they have not made a single other product or software that's cultivated a genuine fanbase or had much of any impact. Everything they do feels half-assed and gets dropped at the first sign of trouble.

And no I will not give them Android because that's just a stripped-down Linux build and genuine programmers made Linux decades ago.

So the personal google account of the CEO of a company is disabled and the next thing he does is that company he runs, a legal entity, will not do business with an entire other branch of Google which has nothing to do with what happen to the individual Andrew Spinks....Talk about professionalism and business management...

Welp, found the megacorp apologist....

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
it's scary how much powers corporate America has over citizens. guess thats why jack ma got taken down a notch asap
Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

nemiroff

Gold Member
I, too , have heard good things if fastmail, but I never used it.
If you need, Google at least gives you a tool to take your data, I'm not sure if only for gmail:

Edit: welp, no idea why the Arab characters on the link, lmao. Google still wreaking havoc

True, takeout.google.com is actually pretty good. A good place to start a migration to alternative services.

ZoukGalaxy

So the personal google account of the CEO of a company is disabled and the next thing he does is that company he runs, a legal entity, will not do business with an entire other branch of Google which has nothing to do with what happen to the individual Andrew Spinks....Talk about professionalism and business management...
Okay Sundar Pichai, noted.
Please fill a form to restore your Stadia canceled game.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

True, takeout.google.com is actually pretty good. A good place to start a migration to alternative services.
Never heard of this, that is pretty interesting. Definitely something I want to look at. Google has become such a pile the last 5 years.

V4skunk

Banned
Talk about being a consoooomer shill.

FStubbs

You forgot that's ok, even users here wants to small government, which is limp dicked againts corporations. Look at the Nevada bill:

Crazy
The irony is the corporations effectively become the government.

This is one of the reasons I can't see Stadia succeeding. Make one comment on Youtube that gets mistaken for spam and you can get locked out of your whole google account. It's absurd and to me shows that they give no fucks because they're too big to care.

I remember it happened with Markiplier's viewers a while ago and made me realize how stupid it was to be so dependent on one company who doesn't know you exist.

Governments should introduce laws that make companies like this refund every last cent from accounts that get banned. Maybe they'll start caring a little bit more then.

geary

Seems i struck a chord with my previous post...Is not about megacorp apologist, it's about the actual mentality " I create the company, I do what I want", without thinking also of the people that work for you. You have no idea what triggered or not the disabling of the account, but everyone put his SWJ cloak and jump in the defend of the abused (based only on his side of things). If this is they way business decisions are made, based on the mood of the CEO and not on feasibility studies, no wonder there are so many problems in this industry.

Last edited:

theHFIC

Seems i struck a chord with my previous post...Is not about megacorp apologist, it's about the actual mentality " I create the company, I do what I want", without thinking also of the people that work for you. You have no idea what triggered or not the disabling of the account, but everyone put his SWJ cloak and jump in the defend of the abused (based only on his side of things). If this is they way business decisions are made, based on the mood of the CEO and not on feasibility studies, no wonder there are so many problems in this industry.
Re-Logic is a 10 person company with Andrew Spinks as not only the CEO but also programmer and designer. It isn't like the CEO of Activision got their Gmail account locked out and stopped supporting Stadia. For all intents and purposes, he is Re-Logic and Terraria and when you create an EXTREMELY successful game with a small team that you are in charge of, one of the few benefits is you can call the shots on the direction the company heads.

One of the benefits of an open market.

FStubbs

Google is a complete shitstain in the tech world and Stadia was bound to fail because outside of search engines, cloud servers and Youtube (which they bought) they have not made a single other product or software that's cultivated a genuine fanbase or had much of any impact. Everything they do feels half-assed and gets dropped at the first sign of trouble.

And no I will not give them Android because that's just a stripped-down Linux build and genuine programmers made Linux decades ago.

Welp, found the megacorp apologist....
Google bought Android in 2005, btw.

geary

Re-Logic is a 10 person company with Andrew Spinks as not only the CEO but also programmer and designer. It isn't like the CEO of Activision got their Gmail account locked out and stopped supporting Stadia. For all intents and purposes, he is Re-Logic and Terraria and when you create an EXTREMELY successful game with a small team that you are in charge of, one of the few benefits is you can call the shots on the direction the company heads.

It may be the CEO of a company of 10 or 1000 employees....The premise is the same...You dont make business decisions based on the personal mood or problems.

Last edited:

Miles708

It may be the CEO of a company of 10 or 1000 employees....The premise is the same...You dont make business decisions based on the personal mood or problems.
I don't feel like this is a good take on the situation.
Business is, at its core, based around trust. Trusting you would not screw me over (with me having absolutely no recourse) is, really, the very fundamental asset of every business decision.

It's also not a decision that exists in a void: Google is, by now, notoriously bad at customer support. That has been the confirmation of the sentiment around the company.

It's not difficult or unreasonable to see why someone would not want to base his business on a complete lack of communication and trust.

Last edited:
The fundamental mistake for any business to trust Google as an enterprise provider for anything. Microsoft will not capriciously cut you off.

John Day

If is the business account, you know there are persons of contact to keep relationships smooth. Also, is like saying that because the MS account is disabled, i wont use Linkedin anymore or not using Windows anymore....Separate branch of a conglomerate...
Yeah I don’t think you know how to run a business lol.

RPSleon

The power of not being a publicly traded company. Its good that people can do this for bullshit like google does, and affect them in a big enough way to see they have real problems that need addressing.

BootsLoader

Banned
He lost access to videos he purchased? What the fuck, I figured they could stop you using Gmail and YouTube but couldn't take away access to things you've paid for.
That’s the digital era everyone wants. That’s a reason to prefer buying physical, ban or no ban you insert disc, you play / watch movie / listen to your music

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Yup, I should definitely reduce my dependance on Google services.

Email is not bad (it needs to go through a third party anyway)... But single sign-on, bookmarks, storage (I moved away from Google drive a while ago), my phone, notes in keep, contacts, YouTube,etc.

I'll recover faster if I lose my wallet than if I lose my google account.

Single sign-on is specially devious, you cannot untangle that one from the google/apple account last I checked.

Only, only use it if you’re ok losing access to that account if you lose access to your google/apple account.

mitchman

Gold Member
Yep. Build your own mail server. It's not hard (seriously, there are a thousand and one "how-tos" online).

Control your data, mate.
It's not actually that easy anymore, at least if you intend to use SMTP on that server. Many large commercial mail services do not accept mail from non-verified servers, gmail in particular is anal about this. So unless you only intend to send mail to smaller mail services, it's just a pipedream.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige
As a Stadia dev or if you had like a big Google Ads contract then sure you may have a business success manager or something and go through backchannels but for every other case your suggestion of “just contact Google” is naive at best. The Google Play Console used to have a real time chat option that was kind of easy to access and now they make you go through a three step questionnaire where the chat operator option seems to never be the one available to you... tried for a while yesterday and went to our Google contact because I was honestly fed up.

TwiztidElf

A contractor who worked on Terraria for two months, back in January-February 2011, made a sexist joke when they were in high school in 2002.
It's his own fault. He should have been more thorough with his staff and cancelled that person instead of employing them.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I, too, am not sure how this is legal. And even if it is, there's clearly an abuse of power at play.
Most likely explanation: you are not forced to use Gmail (called Google Workspace for business users) in any way, you can stick to private hosting. Of course that ignores Google making it as attractive as possible to make you switch to Google Workspace.

Last edited:

Miles708

Most likely explanation: you are not forced to use Gmail (called Google Workspace for business users) in any way, you can stick to private hosting. Of course that ignores Google making it as attractive as possible to make you switch to Google Workspace.
I actually think that, according to GDPR, keeping my personal info away from me, even if because of a ban, is outright illegal.

I could be wrong, but I'm genuinely surprised how there are not, like, at least a couple thousand processes against Google.

On the other hand, when you make 90 billions a year, a fine (even an hefty fine) becomes just the cost of doing business.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
On the other hand, when you make 90 billions a year, a fine (even an hefty fine) becomes just the cost of doing business.
That's exactly what it is - if you have a userbase large enough you don't care. Companies like Front propose much better implementation of e-mail.

Trogdor1123

So basically every good thing they have now (outside of the search engine, which is debatable these days), has been an acquisition from other companies that put in the work to make the tech viable? Lol waw...
Except android isn't good anymore. It's crappy now. I'm jumping ship after being with Android for forever.

Top Bottom