• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria (PS3/360) |OT| Who needs a mouse anyway?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
ATTENTION: Even if you are a veteran of the PC version of Terraria, DO THE TUTORIAL in the console version.

uMERdoX.jpg

(Note: This OT is a work in progress. Feel free to make suggestions and such!)

Release date: 3/26 (US PSN) 3/27 (US/EU XBLA), 5/23 (JP retail PS3), 5/15 (EU PSN)
Price: 1200 MSP / $14.99 / €14.99 / £11.99 / ¥ 4,179
Developer: Engine Software/Re-Logic
Publisher: 505 Games (US/EU), Spike Chunsoft (JP)
# of players: 1-4 (local splitscreen co-op), 2-8 (online)

Previews, etc:

Developer Q&A
Eurogamer video preview/interview
Eurogamer live (recorded) Let's Play

What's new in the console version?
  • A tutorial mode to help new players learn the basics of Terraria
  • A reworked control system for controllers
  • Reworked crafting and inventory systems
  • A world map available in-game
  • New enemies and NPCs
  • New armor and weapons
  • New pets
  • A new final boss

It's also important to note that nothing from the PC version has been cut out of the console version.

But wait, I'm not a PC gamer/live under a rock. What the hell is Terraria anyway?

To put it simply, Terraria is like a 2D Minecraft + Metroid. It is similar to Minecraft in many ways, however Terraria's biggest difference (and some may say it's greatest strength) is that it focuses more on exploration and questing than Minecraft does. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't build a giant castle or mansion or fortress or dungeon or anything you can possibly think of, if you want. Explore, dig, build, forge weapons and armor, fight enemies...Terraria is an incredibly deep game with tons and tons to do.

If you want to know more, read up on Wikipedia! (And also watch some of the videos posted above!)

Resources:

The Official Terraria Wiki (This is absolutely essential if you want to get the most out of Terraria)
The Official Terraria Forums

GAF Online ID List (for organizing online games):

(GAF username/online ID)

PSN:

Seraphis Cain - SeraphisCain
Tizoc - Tizoc789
Riovane - Riovane
DryvBy2 - DryvBy
DeathGlobe - DeathGlobe

XBox Live:

Reviews:

TBA

Tizoc

This is getting both a Vita and PS3 ver. right? I thought it was only Vita.

EDIT: Oh and my PSN nick is Tizoc789

EDIT2: Wait my bad, EU PSN is offering a free indie game for Plussers in April, and I thought it was Terraria.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
This is getting both a Vita and PS3 ver. right? I thought it was only Vita.

EU PSN is offering it for free for Plus members in April, you may want to mention this.

EDIT: Oh and my PSN nick is Tizoc789

What? I just checked the EU PS Blog and it doesn't say anything about Terraria on PS+. Got a source on that?

Grief.exe

Good post.

People tend to get pissed off and cry that he abandoned the original fans. Of course this couldn't be farther from the truth.

After work was finished on Teraria, another company entirely offered him to port the game to the consoles separately, all extra content and work is owned by that company. The PC version had been fully supported with patches and content for over a year.

The original developer did decide to come back later and work on some new content after he thought of some fresh ideas.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, I had to make a small correction. Apparently the EU PSN release date isn't confirmed as of yet, so I've changed it to TBA for the time being.

Tizoc

Wonder if it'll get a Plus discount this week?
Just to be clear: The game involves exploring areas, finding items and crafting weapons/items right?
How does the building concept of the game work BTW? I'm at work and unable toa ccess some of the links ^_^;

Keslord

Banned
$14.99? Ahaha, that's more than PC launch for what, a teaspoon of content more?

Will pick up on sale or wait for it to hit PS+

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I really don't mind. Terraria is easily worth $50 in my book, so $15 is still a damn good price.

Can't say I'm not hoping for a PS+ discount, though! :D

EDIT: Also, if you think that's bad, keep in mind the game costs nearly $50 in Japan. :lol

Rad-

They probably noticed how much Minecraft XBLA sold with a high-ish price point and decided to follow. Personally I enjoyed Terraria more than Minecraft so for 15 bucks it's still definitely worth it.

Tizoc

I really don't mind. Terraria is easily worth $50 in my book, so $15 is still a damn good price.

Can't say I'm not hoping for a PS+ discount, though! :D

EDIT: Also, if you think that's bad, keep in mind the game costs nearly $50 in Japan. :lol

Darkstalkers Resurrection got a disc release in japan as well; It cost $40.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oh, also, it's been confirmed that you can do four players splitscreen x four players splitscreen online. So basically two systems each with four players playing splitscreen can play online. Pretty cool feature.

Retro

For anyone thinking of picking this up, who hasn't played the PC version, there is a SHITLOAD of stuff to do and the longevity of the game is based on how much you want to build. The game could easily be worth $50.

daydream

Banned
I never have the patience to wait for sales, so I'm getting this Day 1. Expecting to enjoy this a lot more than Minecraft.

Great game.
Wonder if there will be alot of handholding.
Hoping something gets said tomorrow for a vita version. If not ill probably pass being i have like 2 copies in my steam inventory and 1 in library.

def worth the asking price for those who never played!

Holy shit at the JP price, over 200% markup. But I'm not too surprised, games are expensive here. Thank goodness for PSN codes from Amazon.

$14.99 is the new $9.99

Right outside of the impulse buy zone. Just like Ducktales. Will consider this on a sale eventually.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I personally use the "$1 an hour" formula for judging a game's worth (and before you ask, yes this means I buy very few games brand new). And I'm going to play this game for way, WAY more than 15 hours. Probably upwards of 80 or more. So $15 is a bargain in my eyes, regardless of what it may cost on other platforms.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This game owns. I played it for 80 hours and I could easily do another 80. I loved exploration and just building cool shit. Highly recommended.

I would join you guys if I still had my PS3.

charsace

$14.99? Ahaha, that's more than PC launch for what, a teaspoon of content more?

Will pick up on sale or wait for it to hit PS+

A steal for how much gameplay they give you. The game will most likely have some improved graphics too. Its one of the best games made this gen.

Seanspeed

Banned
$15?

Yeah, no. 'Tis a fun game, but come on.

$15 isn't much money.

If this is like Minecraft, it means there's probably a ton of playtime value.

I'm torn on this, though. I'm already into Minecraft and I really like the open-world, 1st person aspect. The 2D part of Terraria puts me off a little bit and it doesn't seem like there's nearly as much variety and scope to 'build'.

But then on the other hand, it looks like there's lots more stuff to discover and it goes much deeper below ground than Minecraft.

Just not sure I'd be willing to invest the time to play both. I think I might stick with Minecraft for the time being.

Retro

$15 isn't much money.

If this is like Minecraft, it means there's probably a ton of playtime value.

Minecraft is more "Build" than "Game", whereas Terraria is more "Game" than "Build", if that makes any sense.

Don't get me wrong, there is 'game' stuff in Minecraft, but there's just more of it in Terraria. Likewise, there's 'building' stuff in Terraria, but Minecraft has more of it.

Seanspeed

Banned
Minecraft is more "Build" than "Game", whereas Terraria is more "Game" than "Build", if that makes any sense.

Don't get me wrong, there is 'game' stuff in Minecraft, but there's just more of it in Terraria. Likewise, there's 'building' stuff in Terraria, but Minecraft has more of it.

Makes perfect sense.

I'll probably get it sometime down the line. But both games are timesinks by the sounds of it, so I've gotta be careful!

Twinduct

Gonna hold off to see if the Vita rumor thing has any truth.
Also looking forward to see what the new update for the PC version will get, hoping it will be big!

Retro

Makes perfect sense.

I'll probably get it sometime down the line. But both games are timesinks by the sounds of it, so I've gotta be careful!

Yep. Padded by nights where I fell asleep at the PC or left the main menu open, but that doesn't account for much of it;

U4fEd.jpg

If you let it, it will devour you. Especially if you have a predilection towards building things. I went from "Oh, I need a castle for my NPCs to live in" to "I need to build a town" in one update. The last update, I ended up making a city (each NPC has their own building complex);

The next Terraria PC Update is supposed to be in "A few months" too, and I'm already planning to reboot my home world. Oh, and Starbound is on the horizon, which will have 6 player races with their own unique building types / objects... so.... yeah.... who needs sleep, right?

Gonna hold off to see if the Vita rumor thing has any truth.
Also looking forward to see what the new update for the PC version will get, hoping it will be big!

I'd have to dig around, but I remember seeing a Redigit quote where he said it was the largest update he's done. He recently hired another sprite artist, and has mentioned that he hopes to have it done by May.

Twinduct

I'd have to dig around, but I remember seeing a Redigit quote where he said it was the Largest update he's done.

Nice! Any idea on why he stopped updating in general? I mean hell why he just stopped working on games?

Really hope he will do a T2 down the line. Think this was the only game I could get like all of my friends to buy.

(Next stop starbound I guess)

Retro

Nice! Any idea on why he stopped updating in general? I mean hell why he just stopped working on games?

Really hope he will do a T2 down the line. Think this was the only game I could get like all of my friends to buy.

(Next stop starbound I guess)

He stopped working on Terraria when his son was born, basically. But comments at the time said he was unhappy with the way things had turned out since it was wildly more popular than he had planned, he wasn't a strong enough programmer to meet the needs/demands of the players, and they were forced to launch early because Beta copies where leaked and spreading fast.

The 1.1 update was what he had originally planned as the 'complete game', so he probably thought it was a good time to stop. I think things with his kid settled down and he realized after a break that he missed making games, so... here we go again with the anxious waiting.

For what it's worth, he's said he's taken a look at what the modding community has been doing. There's a lot of really great ones, but I hate using mods because support can be wonky and getting online with them is a recipe for disaster.

Anyways... yeah... Starbound basically is Terraria 2. It's the logical progression, to move from a single planet to a universe of randomly generated worlds. I think Redigit will keep Terraria 'earthbound' so to speak, and focus more on different biomes and environments within a single world, whereas SB is all about exploration, single planetary biomes and lots of procedurally generated content. Chucklefish at least appears to have strong code/art teams whereas Terraria was literally two guys for most of the game's development.

W1SSY

This is a game I would love to get on the Vita. Having the ability to play on both the Vita and PS3 would be amazing. I will wait and see what happens when it releases and might pick it up. I loved the game on the PC but might not mind playing more casually on the Vita.

clockpunk

I already have little enough time... and with Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine both hitting XBLA imminently, oh... what a good problem to have!

Grinchy

Banned
If you let it, it will devour you. Especially if you have a predilection towards building things. I went from "Oh, I need a castle for my NPCs to live in" to "I need to build a town" in one update. The last update, I ended up making a city (each NPC has their own building complex);

oh my god

You are insane in the best way.

For people coming to this fresh remember that it follows real world common sense logic like gold being harder than iron so you can jump right in without having to do anything like read a wiki.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Argh wait I might've mixed it up with another indie that's offered free for EU Plus members, my bad.
I wouldn't be surprised if they actually do that if they announce a May EU release date. EU has their monthly indie spotlight for plus (Retro/Grade, Chime, RCR, Hell Yeah!, Thomas Was Alone, Knytt Underground, Big Sky Infinity), Thomas Was Alone is coming out in April so Terraria would have to be pushed back to May for it to be part of the program.

Twinduct

He stopped working on Terraria when his son was born, basically. But comments at the time said he was unhappy with the way things had turned out since it was wildly more popular than he had planned, he wasn't a strong enough programmer to meet the needs/demands of the players, and they were forced to launch early because Beta copies where leaked and spreading fast.

The 1.1 update was what he had originally planned as the 'complete game', so he probably thought it was a good time to stop. I think things with his kid settled down and he realized after a break that he missed making games, so... here we go again with the anxious waiting.

For what it's worth, he's said he's taken a look at what the modding community has been doing. There's a lot of really great ones, but I hate using mods because support can be wonky and getting online with them is a recipe for disaster.

Anyways... yeah... Starbound basically is Terraria 2. It's the logical progression, to move from a single planet to a universe of randomly generated worlds. I think Redigit will keep Terraria 'earthbound' so to speak, and focus more on different biomes and environments within a single world, whereas SB is all about exploration, single planetary biomes and lots of procedurally generated content. Chucklefish at least appears to have strong code/art teams whereas Terraria was literally two guys for most of the game's development.

Ah ok makes sense. I'm glad he's back in some form or another. I remember reading his 'plans' for the future and that some of those eventually turned into what starbound is.

Yeah the anticipation I have for starbound is getting dangerous.

Btw any idea what happened to blue? I know he was heavily involved near the start.

Retro

I don't know how you could do that.....holy shit man, I only put in 52 hours and I was so fed up with the corruption area I just stopped.

Cheated a little in places. I built a section of the long bridge in-game, then copied and pasted it in TEdit. Likewise, the 'corruption tower' wasn't originally built over the corruption.

On the GAF Server, I actually built a big floating island over corruption, and it was a pain in the ass having Eaters constantly swarming me when I was working on it. Never again.

Btw any idea what happened to blue? I know he was heavily involved near the start.

I don't know the exact drama behind it, but they had a falling out that was apparently pretty rough.

That's beautiful, dude. I may aim for something (hopefully at least half) as cool when I get this on PS3; I only ever made little mud hut flats for my NPCs on PC.

I have £11 in my PSN wallet, so I'm hoping for a PS+ discount since I don't want to have to add more funds.

Also hoping the rumoured Vita port is real. I would probably get around 1000 hours myself if I could play this on Vita!

Grief.exe

Yep. Padded by nights where I fell asleep at the PC or left the main menu open, but that doesn't account for much of it;

U4fEd.jpg

4zsRA.gif

The next Terraria PC Update is supposed to be in "A few months" too, and I'm already planning to reboot my home world. Oh, and Starbound is on the horizon, which will have 6 player races with their own unique building types / objects... so.... yeah.... who needs sleep, right?

I'd have to dig around, but I remember seeing a Redigit quote where he said it was the largest update he's done. He recently hired another sprite artist, and has mentioned that he hopes to have it done by May.

Man that is really awesome.

Don't use IMGUR though, it destroys the quality of a really high resolution image like that.

Try using minus or abload

Retro

Man that is really awesome.

Don't use IMGUR though, it destroys the quality of a really high resolution image like that.

Try using minus or abload

Yeah, I usually do, but abload was having some latency issues the last time I used it. I even got an e-mail about it this morning saying they were sorry.

Top Bottom