• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrible products that owe their immense popularity to highly successful ad campaigns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrible that gets very popular seems rare. Lots of mediocre stuff has elevated by right message at the right time.

The DeLorean was pretty much DOA when the movie came out that made it super popular back then, not old enough to remember. That car was a great prop but for what it cost, a terrible sports car.

Only problem with George Foremans I had was the top plate didn't heat up as quickly as the bottom one did. I don't know if they ever fix that problem or not.

I still use mine weekly as it's been helping me lose weight.

Diamonds.

Came in here to post this. Only useless thing I can think of that's maybe more deserving of this thread than diamonds is this POS:

Candy_corn_strewn_on_a_black_background.jpg

Not exactly a terrible product, and I'm not sure if the quality varies in other countries, but in Japan it is customary to have KFC for Christmas dinner. And the tradition was started by a highly successful ad campaign IIRC.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Aβydoς;121883845 said:
You learn to fucking read.
I'm not an hater of Apple, fucking Christ.
iPhones SUCK. They are not worth a third of their price.

Wow, what a compelling argument. That sure is going to stimulate discussion.

This is exactly the kind of drive-by post about highly divisive yet popular products that the OP was talking about. You even claim to have read it, and yet you still thought, "Nope! Fuck the OP, I'm gonna talk some shit anyway." Jesus Christ.

Why do you think your hurr durr opinion on it matters so much?

Samsung makes decent phones and tablets, but they're not the OMG greatest things that people hype them up to be.

They hold back OS updates for certain phones\tablets to force you to upgrade (I'm got a Tab 3 7" that probably isn't going to get a Kit Kat update since the new Tab's came out, good luck seeing L on it. Going to sell it when I get back from my deployment and buy a Nexus 7 like I should have in the first place).

I've literally had people's jaw's hit the floor when they ask me why I don't have a Samsung phone and I tell them why I don't like them.

The only reason Samsung sells so much is marketing. I wish more people bought a Nexus 5 (or whatever replacement may come this fall) and experienced the pleasure that is the pure Android experience. But no, Samsung needs to fill all the advertisement spots with their shit.

linkboy

I have Mexican coke all the time here in San Diego. It's good, but it still does not make normal coke terrible.

It was for me. First time I had real sugar coke was when I was stationed in Japan.

Same with Pepsi, it's hard for me to go back to regular Pepsi after having Pepsi throwback (or whatever they're calling it now).

Pulka

Not exactly a terrible product, and I'm not sure if the quality varies in other countries, but in Japan it is customary to have KFC for Christmas dinner. And the tradition was started by a highly successful ad campaign IIRC.
Americans drink Coca-Cola at christmas, seems weird to me. Give me julmust or give me death

I saw the OP and knew this would backfire on him. Seriously though, I don't understand how you could hate the foreman grills. I like to use the grittle the most. The best part about the Foreman Grill is they open up cooking in settings that might not allow great cooking. We have them at work, I had one in my room at Uni.

zma1013

The George Foreman Grill
41rP8cccmAL.jpg

This piece of shit lives in the basement, garage, or attic of almost everyone I know. It promises convenience, better health (the fat drips right off!), the power to grill indoors. It delivers an impossible to clean waffle maker/griddle hybrid. It was a pop culture staple of the 90's and it's useless and I fucking hate it.

I cooked some steak on it once and then for one reason or another I stored it away without cleaning it and thought someone had borrowed it. A year later after rummaging through the cupboards getting rid of all the random stuff piled in there, I found my George Foreman Grill and wiped the crud out of it with just soap, water, and some paper towels. It is by far one of the easiest things to clean. Ever since then I've used it a lot for cooking all sorts of things. It's not terrible at all and does exactly what it's advertised to do.

moai

Why is it called the george foreman grill?
First time i see a real image, i only know it from the simpsons jokes

Gustav

Banned
How anyone can say "Apple products are terrible" with a straight face is beyond me.

Sure, you may not agree with their approach in how they treat the user, but their products are of good to great design and build quality.

Americans drink Coca-Cola at christmas, seems weird to me. Give me julmust or give me death

I've never heard of Coke being considered an Xmas drink. I know the polar bear ads roll around every time the season kicks in and it really seems like Coke is trying to make it happen and turn it into a Christmas drink but I don't really think it's worked. At leas it's nothing like eggnog which is considered a Christmas drink.

Ra\/en

pom-juice.jpg

because OMG antioxidants! It tastes fine, but it is massively overpriced. They basically sold it as a medicine, and got in trouble for that.

pompidu

Disclaimer: Don't be a fanboy douche. "huuurr duuuur Apple huuur duuuuur Samsung" type responses are not acceptable. Let's leave such highly divisive products out of the conversation shall we?

Now that that's out of the way, I'm talking about products that could not sell on their own merits (quality/aesthetics/utility) but are still hugely popular based on one or more highly successful ad campaigns. Try to be specific about the product and the ad campaign that launched its success. For example...

The George Foreman Grill
41rP8cccmAL.jpg

This piece of shit lives in the basement, garage, or attic of almost everyone I know. It promises convenience, better health (the fat drips right off!), the power to grill indoors. It delivers an impossible to clean waffle maker/griddle hybrid. It was a pop culture staple of the 90's and it's useless and I fucking hate it.

See also: Ronco Rotisserie Oven

Op is on drugs. Foreman grill is fucking amazing, I live in an apartment and is super helpful for grilling. GOAT seen on tv product.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I use this example all the time but I'll still say breakfast cereal because it still blows my mind that something that was largely invented to stop masturbation became so successful almost purely through advertising.
http://www.theguardian.com/business/2010/nov/23/food-book-extract-felicity-lawrence

While this thread has taken its turn into "wtf?" category, this here is a great (though long!) read... I eat a ton of breakfast cereals (usually of the TJ's granola and kashi variety... so at least more nutritious than something like Lucky Charms...) so it's pretty eye-opening.

Read the first line of the OP and get the fuck out.

So if we can't bring Wii and iPhone and Samsung into this, then what's the point of this thread? All brands are divisive, and I actually rather like the George Foreman Grill. The people saying "Wii" and "iPhone" aren't being fanboy douches. Wii owes its entire success to Nintendo's brilliant marketing.

thomaser

Monster Cables. I mean, they work. They do their job. But you can easily get cables that do the same job just as well for a fraction of the price. Monster Cable is a great example of how much people actually value a brand name, even if doing so can be, as in this case, a very poor choice.

WillyFive

So if we can't bring Wii and iPhone and Samsung into this, then what's the point of this thread? All brands are divisive, and I actually rather like the George Foreman Grill. The people saying "Wii" and "iPhone" aren't being fanboy douches. Wii owes its entire success to Nintendo's brilliant marketing.

I'd say the Wii's success was more about word of mouth and product design than anything. Same for the iPhones and the Samsung devices; the ads helped but it was word of mouth that made them such giants.

Ivan 3414

You can say that about all gaming consoles.

Why don't you detail why the Wii sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom