• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrible products that owe their immense popularity to highly successful ad campaigns

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can say that about all gaming consoles.

Why don't you detail why the Wii sucks.

I never said Wii sucks. Personally, I think it's better than NES/SNES/N64/GCN/WiiU, GB/GBA/DS/3DS, PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4 and XBOX/360/XONE. But to some people, they're terrible products.

And it's obvious that Nintendo's marketing was just on fire. There not a single misstep with Wii until late 2010. It's unfathomable. From getting on Ellen to Wii Would Like To Play™. Damn.

Kade

Nike Shox
nike-shox-deliver-mens

They didn't make me jump higher.

big_z

Costco pizza. Every time there's a pizza thread there's a bunch of people defending this hot trash.

PS4. 97% of the lineup can be found on other platforms, questionable hardware quality (controller), seriously lacking in features.

Pepsi. Marketed heavily as the better/cooler coca cola yet it typically polls as the inferior product.

Infomercial exercise equipment. Sells a ton but is often useless trash.

Sonic the hedgehog. Self explanatory.

Sea Monkeys. Though not as popular now, there was a time when they were crazy popular. Those freakin' ads were misleading as hell as they turned out to only be brine shrimp and not the aquatic simians that were depicted.

I suppose most things found at the back of a comic book were too good to be true.

Gustav

Banned
Costco pizza. Every time there's a pizza thread there's a bunch of people defending this hot trash.

PS4. 97% of the lineup can be found on other platforms, questionable hardware quality (controller), seriously lacking in features.

Pepsi. Marketed heavily as the better/cooler coca cola yet it typically polls as the inferior product.

You would rank the PS4 as a TERRIBLE product?

If Microsoft did not fuck up E3 2013, Sony would not be in the same position they are in today. The marketing from Sony (Shu used games video, E3 2013 press conference, social media outlets) brought significant mindshare to the fact that Microsoft screwed up, and thus in turn, PlayStation was for the gamers and the best place to play. It's basically a FIFA machine for me at this point lol.

The lineup right now is terrible.

njean777

So how do you view the one?

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Americans drink Coca-Cola at christmas, seems weird to me. Give me julmust or give me death

Americans drink coke pretty much all year round, but there is nothing that makes it a Christmas drink. There are other drinks that Americans have specifically for Christmas.

Infomercial exercise equipment. Sells a ton but is often useless trash.

Who defends Costco pizza? I guess if all you've had to compare is the fast food chains...

SkyOdin

Krispy Kreme doughnuts. I don't know why people buy them.

Back when I was in high school, the first Krispy Kreme opened in my area, and everyone was talking about it for weeks and making a big deal about it. I tried a few of their donuts, and I quickly grew to hate them. They were small, full of noting but fluff, and generally overpriced. In comparison, I was able to get a wide variety of some really amazing doughnuts from a local family-owned doughnut place, or even from a few local supermarkets (which were probably supplied by that same family business). Unfortunately, I think the Krispy Kreme put that family-owned joint out of business. At least the Krispy Kreme fad in town passed quickly.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos

Hmmm to me pizza rarely ever has to be defended. Pizza is one of those foods that is pretty good almost any way to you do it. You really really have to try to make a bad pizza (again in my opinion).

Costco pizza, I feel is definitively not bad. Not the best but great for it's value.

I guess I've just learned to love a large chunk of the pizza quality spectrum. It's good to make an effort to enjoy a larger range of things.

Scarphace

Samsung Galaxy S phones. Don't get me wrong the product isn't terrible at all but they're nowhere near as good as the hype makes it out to be. There are many other android phones I would rather have.

Gustav

Banned
I honestly can't think of a single product that fits the description of immensely popular and terrible. Maybe some food items would qualify because of how unhealthy they are. Most immensely popular products are at least serviceable.

big_z

The exclusive lineup is very weak at this point. Nearly all the games it has can be played on other platforms. It doesn't do much beyond games, even the most basic media features are missing.

$450 for a redundant product. things can change over time but right now I would call that a poor buy.

So how do you view the one?

I would rank it slightly above the ps4 as its os is further along, offers more features and the lineup a bit stronger. I'm not sure I'd rank it as a terrible buy but I wouldn't recommend one yet either.

Who defends Costco pizza? I guess if all you've had to compare is the fast food chains...

Check out the pizza threads, there's many that rank that garbage as god tier.

njean777

The exclusive lineup is very weak at this point. Nearly all the games it has can be played on other platforms. It doesn't do much beyond games, even the most basic media features are missing.

$450 for a redundant product. things can change over time but right now I would call that a poor buy.

I would rank it slightly above the ps4 as its os is further along, offers more features and the lineup a bit stronger. I'm not sure I'd rank it as a terrible buy but I wouldn't recommend one yet either.

Check out the pizza threads, there's many that rank that garbage as god tier.

What if you want the best cheap option for 3rd party games?

Axe and Old Spice. All of their products smell like shit and I never felt clean when trying them out. Great ad campaigns though.

Irish Spring is where it's at. Makes me feel so fresh.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Cigarettes and diamonds are the two things listed that I 100% agree with, so far.

I would also add Ferrari and Lamborghini cars, pre-1999. They were real pieces of shit.
Okay I'll bite. What exactly didn't live up to your expectations about the countach, Testarossa, F40 etc?

Sesha

Coke Zero. It's just diet coke, but aimed at dudes. It's the same as a lot of men's soaps, shampoos and deodorants. Stuff like Dobbel Dusch etc. It's the same product as everything else, but marketed at guys.

And specifically here in Norway, Grandiosa, the most popular frozen pizza brand. Frozen pizzas in general are rather bland, but grandiosa is just awful. Every commercial plays up how grand it supposedly is, probably because they know they're selling sawdust in the form of a pizza.

Vast.

Banned
Learn to fucking read.
And you're still a jerkoff.
Being a member here means you have to not be a cunt. I don't know how you ever got approved since you clearly do not meet this most basic of criteria.

When you created your account you saw the little box that said "Am I a cunt?" [] Yes [] No

You ticked no when you should have ticked yes. Had you been honest all this could have been avoided and we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Jesus.

legacyzero

Banned
Samsung makes decent phones and tablets, but they're not the OMG greatest things that people hype them up to be.

They hold back OS updates for certain phonestablets to force you to upgrade (I'm got a Tab 3 7" that probably isn't going to get a Kit Kat update since the new Tab's came out, good luck seeing L on it. Going to sell it when I get back from my deployment and buy a Nexus 7 like I should have in the first place).

I've literally had people's jaw's hit the floor when they ask me why I don't have a Samsung phone and I tell them why I don't like them.
You must not own a Note III.

Bummer...

DarkFlow

Banned
Being a member here means you have to not be a cunt. I don't know how you ever got approved since you clearly do not meet this most basic of criteria.

When you created your account you saw the little box that said "Am I a cunt?" [] Yes [] No

You ticked no when you should have ticked yes. Had you been honest all this could have been avoided and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

You sure told him...

Aβydoς;121882969 said:
iPhones.

I like Macs and iPods so fuck you, yes you who are going to say I'm an Apple hater.

iPhones suck.

On the other hand I think iPods are the one Apple product that suck. They break too easy at the slightest sign of moisture. Especially the shuffle, why the fuck do I want it if not for working out with it?

Dicer

Banned
Samsung makes decent phones and tablets, but they're not the OMG greatest things that people hype them up to be.

They hold back OS updates for certain phones\tablets to force you to upgrade (I'm got a Tab 3 7" that probably isn't going to get a Kit Kat update since the new Tab's came out, good luck seeing L on it. Going to sell it when I get back from my deployment and buy a Nexus 7 like I should have in the first place).

I've literally had people's jaw's hit the floor when they ask me why I don't have a Samsung phone and I tell them why I don't like them.

My Tab3 7" has KitKat, has for about a month now....

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Read this post back to yourself and ask whether or not you feel like it was justified to be this harsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom