• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrible products that owe their immense popularity to highly successful ad campaigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

linkboy

You must not own a Note III.

Bummer...

No, I don't as I prefer stock Android and not the crap skin that Samsung throws onto Android, nor do I like how they put the back button on the right (drives me freaking crazy on my tablet).

No matter how much I try to use Samsung's Android devices, I can't get used to them. My wife bought me my Tab 3 for my deployment, it's been sitting in it's case for the bulk of my deployment and I just use my phone (Nexus 4).

Samsung isn't the end all be all of Android phones and tablets. There are issues with them. What they've been able to do is position themselves with good marketing (like another company)

Kardashians

Furbies

Tamagotchi

Were the Kardashians successful due to advertising campaigns? Reality TV was popular long before them IIRC.

Domino's.

How can you people eat this shit?

Because it honestly isn't that bad. It isn't amazing, and certainly I wouldnt say it rivals good pizza from a non-chain store. But it is perfectly edible. Salty, cheesy, fatty goodness. These are flavors many people like.

Some George Forman grills were garbage designed, not all were the same. We had one that didn't have the removable plates for example so yea cleaning it was a pain in the ass.

Coke Zero. It's just diet coke, but aimed at dudes. It's the same as a lot of men's soaps, shampoos and deodorants. Stuff like Dobbel Dusch etc. It's the same product as everything else, but marketed at guys.

Coke Zero has a lot more caffeine, if I recall.

Is there something about Twizzlers that I'm missing? It's gotta be the blandest candy I've ever tasted.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Microsoft Office, the thread

nomster

Coke Zero. It's just diet coke, but aimed at dudes. It's the same as a lot of men's soaps, shampoos and deodorants. Stuff like Dobbel Dusch etc. It's the same product as everything else, but marketed at guys.

And specifically here in Norway, Grandiosa, the most popular frozen pizza brand. Frozen pizzas in general are rather bland, but grandiosa is just awful. Every commercial plays up how grand it supposedly is, probably because they know they're selling sawdust in the form of a pizza.
Maybe it's different elsewhere, but coke zero is a different product in the states.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Normally I take a bite, chew, then swallow.
You're outta control.
Because it honestly isn't that bad. It isn't amazing, and certainly I wouldnt say it rivals good pizza from a non-chain store. But it is perfectly edible. Salty, cheesy, fatty goodness. These are flavors many people like.
The most boring pizza I've ever had, devoid of all of the characteristics you describe. Every time I've had domino's it has been very, very bland.

big_z

Keyword is: best

And yes that is considering the price.

Bradc00s answer is still correct. If you're basing this solely on resolution then you messed up. It's like buying a car ignoring everything other than gas mileage. We're judging complete products not single features.

QUOTE=Sesha;121899622]Coke Zero. It's just diet coke, but aimed at dudes. It's the same as a lot of men's soaps, shampoos and deodorants. Stuff like Dobbel Dusch etc. It's the same product as everything else, but marketed at guys.[/QUOTE]

Coke zero is completely different than diet coke. It's vastly superior but it sucks that coke refuses to use the original receipt with any variants.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

They use a combination of artificial sweeteners. I prefer it over regular coke. I haven't seen it marketed at guys, though.

People who use a George Foreman Grill need to work the grill station at a kitchen. You guys are depriving yourself of flavor.

sohois

I also could have sworn Coke Zero used an entirely different zero calorie sweetener.

From what I understand most people drink cheap beers to get drunk, which happens regardless of how good the beer tastes.

Yes, Coke Zero uses Sucralose rather than Aspartame which is in Diet Coke. It is true though that having a diet drink for men was a big reason for it's release and how it was marketed.

edit: at least that's what I recalled reading, but a quick glance at the wiki article makes no mention of this. Oh well.

I'm also noticing a lot of shit being posted without any explanation as to the specific ad campaign that made it popular. That was kind of the point of the thread. To attest to the power of effective marketing and point out specific examples. E. G. Better sound through research, it's so good I put my name on it, snap into a slim jim etc.

It's what would separate real examples being posted and asshole trolls just drive by posting things that they know will piss others off.

Microsoft Office, the thread

Like this. I might not disagree that it's overpriced, especially given the highly effective free alternatives. But it doesn't belong in this thread. It's ubiquitous because it's been the standard productivity suite going back over two decades in most industries.

I've never seen an ad for Microsoft Office because an ad campaign for what most people have no other choice but to use is pointless.

What's ironic about this answer is that they market less than their major competitor yet sell more.

njean777

Bradc00s answer is still correct. If you're basing this solely on resolution then you messed up. It's like buying a car ignoring everything other than the color. We're judging complete products not single features.

It really isn't that clear cut, some people want the best power for the third party games and some people want all the features. Either choice right now is fine, but the ps4 is not a rip off as of right now (unless you have a gaming PC and game on it regularly). That's the whole point, some people want better looking and running games as opposed to more features and less performance. It's just that simple.

What's ironic about this answer is that they market less than their major competitor yet sell more.

Was this always the case? It is possible Coke marketed more successfully/aggressively in the past and now no longer needs to market as much. Coke is seen far more as a symbol of US culture than Pepsi IIRC.

gwarm01

You people love you George Foreman because you didn't get the model with the shitty Zig Zag top grill pattern. I have it and it's a fucking nightmare to clean. The bottom plate is normal straight gill design and cleans fine, but the top fucking sucks and the engineer who came up with it should have his fucking college degree revoked.

Found it on Google, look at that top plate abomination:

I have this model and it isn't hard to clean. I just use a little dish soap and my washing brush and it is fine.

Dead Man

Being a member here means you have to not be a cunt. I don't know how you ever got approved since you clearly do not meet this most basic of criteria.

When you created your account you saw the little box that said "Am I a cunt?" [] Yes [] No

You ticked no when you should have ticked yes. Had you been honest all this could have been avoided and we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Says the guy insulting people because they listed a product he didn't want listed. Oh fucking no. :/ Calling people cunts and jerkoffs makes you a... what?

I'm also noticing a lot of shit being posted without any explanation as to the specific ad campaign that made it popular. That was kind of the point of the thread. To attest to the power of effective marketing and point out specific examples. E. G. Better sound through research, it's so good I put my name on it, snap into a slim jim etc.

It's what would separate real examples being posted and asshole trolls just drive by posting things that they know will piss others off.

Like this. I might not disagree that it's overpriced, especially given the highly effective free alternatives. But it doesn't belong in this thread. It's ubiquitous because it's been the standard productivity suite going back over two decades in most industries.

I've never seen an ad for Microsoft Office because an ad campaign for what most people have no other choice but to use is going to be popular by its nature.

So fucking read the OP.
Make a better OP. When the example in your post is so poorly justified what do you expect?

MrBadger

I honestly can't think of much that's mass-advertised and hugely successful that I think is objectively terrible. The Transformers movies?

I also think the PS4 owes its hugely successful launch to advertising and hype since I don't think there was anything on it that made it a day 1 system. Unless you really like Knack. That's not to say the PS4 is terrible though, far from it. I just didn't buy into the launch day hype. Nice to be future-proof, though.

terrisus

America Online

Back in the 90's it was the first contact with this wonderful world of "The Internet" but being honest even with the millions of free disks and the endorsment of cerebrities like Bret "The Hitman" Hart, the service was always mediocre, today is just a mere shell of what it was. But hey, filling our AOL profile was ... cool I guess.

AOL was awesome through the mid-90s.
They had a number of great MUDs, a bunch of cool areas, all sorts of stuff.

This millennium has not been kind to it though.

big_z

You guys remember reebok pumps and starter jackets? I think both of those are solid additions to this thread.

It really isn't that clear cut, some people want the best power for the third party games and some people want all the features. Either choice right now is fine, but the ps4 is not a rip off as of right now (unless you have a gaming PC and game on it regularly). That's the whole point, some people want better looking and running games as opposed to more features and less performance. It's just that simple.

It is that simple, we are discussing products as a whole not single aspects. The gaming experience provided is the same in the end, other platforms offer more on top of that therefore would be considered better value.

If you really want to focus on resolution/performance then a new video card that outperforms a ps4 will also cost less.

Says the guy insulting people because they listed a product he didn't want listed. Oh fucking no. :/ Calling people cunts and jerkoffs makes you a... what?

Make a better OP. When the example in your post is so poorly justified what do you expect?

First, says the lady. Second, my OP is fine. My example is fine. People may disagree with my opinion but there's nothing wrong with that. Generally good natured ribbing and all that but not enough to derail a thread.

Drive by console/phone war bullshit is just trolling. Plain and simple. You seem to be the only other person who fails to grasp this concept.

linkboy

AOL was awesome through the mid-90s.
They had a number of great MUDs, a bunch of cool areas, all sorts of stuff.

This millennium has not been kind to it though.

I was mad when they switched to CDs, you could at least put the 3 1/2 inch floppy to use with a quick format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom