• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

terrisus presents: Broccoli is beautiful! |OT| Yours may be slaw or rabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

Masquerader said:
Broccolis are miniature fucking trees! How can you dislike small trees? They're fucking cool, and though no-one can ever get the texture correct, the flavour is ace! And they're healthy! And a satisfying shade of green!

1024px-Broccoli_and_cross_section_edit.jpg

broccoli_PNG2828.png

Broccoli is an edible green plant in the cabbage family, whose large flowering head is used as a vegetable. The word broccoli comes from the Italian plural of broccolo, which means "the flowering crest of a cabbage", and is the diminutive form of brocco, meaning "small nail" or "sprout". Broccoli is often boiled or steamed but may be eaten raw.

http://pngimg.com/upload/small/broccoli_PNG2828.png/IMG]

In-depth Nutritional Profile:

[url]http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=nutrientprofile&dbid=82[/url]

(244% of your daily recommended Vitamin K in one cup!)

[IMG]http://pngimg.com/upload/small/broccoli_PNG2828.png

Health Benefits of Broccoli:

Broccoli can provide you with some special cholesterol-lowering benefits if you will cook it by steaming. The fiber-related components in broccoli do a better job of binding together with bile acids in your digestive tract when they've been steamed. When this binding process takes place, it's easier for bile acids to be excreted, and the result is a lowering of your cholesterol levels. Raw broccoli still has cholesterol-lowering ability—just not as much.

Broccoli has a strong, positive impact on our body's detoxification system, and researchers have recently identified one of the key reasons for this detox benefit. Glucoraphanin, gluconasturtiian, and glucobrassicin are 3 glucosinolate phytonutrients found in a special combination in broccoli. This dynamic trio is able to support all steps in body's detox process, including activation, neutralization, and elimination of unwanted contaminants. Isothiocyanates (ITCs) are the detox-regulating molecules made from broccoli's glucosinolates, and they help control the detox process at a genetic level.

Broccoli may help us solve our vitamin D deficiency epidemic.
When large supplemental doses of vitamin D are needed to offset deficiency, ample supplies of vitamin K and vitamin A help keep our vitamin D metabolism in balance. Broccoli has an unusually strong combination of both vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene) and vitamin K. For people faced with the need to rebuild vitamin D stores through vitamin D supplements, broccoli may be an ideal food to include in the diet.

Broccoli is a particularly rich source of a flavonoid called kaempferol. Recent research has shown the ability of kaempferol to lessen the impact of allergy-related substances on our body. This kaempferol connection helps to explain the unique anti-inflammatory benefits of broccoli, and it should also open the door to future research on the benefits of broccoli for a hypoallergenic diet.

More info:

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=9

broccoli_PNG2828.png

Recipe ideas:

recipe_ricotta-crostini_750x750.jpg

7-SV135-SAV100-Broccoli-W-Cheetos-400x432.jpg

(yes those are cheetos)

7-andre-BR-goat-cheese-pizza-400.jpg

roasted-broccoli-lemon-350-kalynskitchen.jpg

All of the above and more:

http://www.saveur.com/find/broccoli

broccoli_PNG2828.png

Special thanks:

terrisus
daydreaming
Aquamarine
Guevara
Masquerader
Freaky Fred
davepoobond

broccoli_PNG2828.png

BTW, this is what happens to terrisus's taste buds when he eats broccoli:

banana085.gif

Timeless

I don't like many vegetables, but broccoli is amazing. My preferred method of preparation is to steam (heat in a closed container with a small amount of water). I like them somewhat crispy. If they're soft, they're ruined.

I don't need to eat it with anything either. Lots of flavor.

Acorn

I don't like many vegetables, but broccoli is amazing. My preferred method of preparation is to steam (heat in a closed container with a small amount of water). I like them somewhat crispy. If they're soft, they're ruined.

I don't need to eat it with anything either. Lots of flavor.
They are good soft if they are saturated with gravy in a Sunday roast, otherwise crispy all day.

jchap

I eat a lot of broccoli...

Raw
As a soup
Boiled and topped with butter or hollandaise
Roasted
Tempura fried
In omelettes and quiches

daydream

Banned
That's so nice of you, Max, helping out terrisus by posting this. Closet broccolists don't have it easy!

(Also, part of my thread title got picked, woo!)

Broccoli is great! I actually preferred cauliflower as a kid and hated broccoli, but now it's the other way around.

RM8

I don't understand the hate. It doesn't have an aggressive flavor or smell, it's just tasty and cool looking. I love broccoli :3

Acorn

I don't understand the hate. It doesn't have an aggressive flavor or smell, it's just tasty and cool looking. I love broccoli :3
My mother says I used to eat them like candy when I was a kid, so always I guess.

I love the texture but it seems to be the main thing that puts other people off.

Merino

You must be thinking of sprouts.

I heard they are grown in hell.
Love sprouts (cooked in oil with tumeric and unions), hate brocolli

another good herb/veggie tip is drinking stinging nettle infusions. Taste amazing and is super healthy.

Acorn

Love sprouts (cooked in oil with tumeric and unions), hate brocolli

another good herb/veggie tip is drinking stinging nettle infusions. Taste amazing and is super healthy.
Love stinging nettle too.

To be honest I've not tried sprouts since I was a kid, might like them now.

Very ingredients:

-1/2 cup of butter
-1 cup water
-2/3 cup of cornstarch
-1 tablespoon of garlic powder
-1 chopped onion
-2 cups of milk
-16oz of chopped broccoli (frozen or freshly cooked)
-4 cans of chicken broth (14.5 oz)
-1 lb of loaf processed cheese food cubed

Very instruction:

- In a pot, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion in butter until softened. Stir in broccoli, and cover with chicken broth. Simmer until broccoli is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.

- Reduce heat, and stir in cheese cubes until melted. Mix in milk and garlic powder.

- In a small bowl, stir cornstarch into water until dissolved. Stir into soup; cook, stir frequently, until thick.

PRN8Vuz.jpg

Exr

If you dont like broccoli heres a protip: pretend you are a dinosaur eating trees. Then pound that shit down your gullet

jaypah

If you dont like broccoli heres a protip: pretend you are a dinosaur eating trees. Then pound that shit down your gullet

This sounds fun enough to give it a shot again. Are you supposed to eat the treetop part too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom