TERROR IN ALABAMA: Alabama's connection to terror suspects

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

Last August, authorities raided a compound in northern New Mexico and found a stash of guns, 11 emaciated children and the remains of a missing three-year-old boy. Federal prosecutors say five suspects living at that compound were planning and training for deadly terrorist attacks on American soil. NBC 15's Andrea Ramey lays out newly discovered evidence that connects small town Alabama to this alleged terror plot.

Outside Tuskegee, down a desolate dirt road, federal investigators suspected possible terroristic activity right in our own backyard. NBC 15 News uncovered a heavily redacted court file connecting this property to an alleged terrorist training camp 1400 miles away in New Mexico. Using clues from the cryptic court filing, we found land records showing the Alabama property is owned by accused terrorist Siraj Wahhaj. The recently unsealed federal search warrant says on this two acre Tuskegee property the terror suspects built a second compound.

"That's shocking," said neighbor Ella Cowart.

The FBI says Wahhaj and 4 others were plotting terrorist attacks against the government. They were all arrested last year at a compound in northern New Mexico. They’ve all pleaded not guilty to federal terrorism, kidnapping and firearms charges.

Line by line we went through the federal search warrant here in Alabama and found the items discovered on the Macon County property mirrored those recovered in New Mexico. There was a pile of wood pallets and a structure made from the wood pallets and plastic sheeting. On the side of that structure, there were dozens of blue buckets. From the air, using our drone, you see more clearly what the FBI described in its search warrant as a "military style obstacle course." We also found tires, trash, children's toys and respirators. The FBI believes the group spent at least several weeks here.

Federal authorities appear to have made the Alabama connection with this group back in December 2017 when Siraj Wahhaj crashed his 2004 Ford Explorer on 1-65 in rural Chilton County, Alabama about an hour and a half away from the compound. The FBI says there were five guns in that car, a bullet-proof vest, and a bag of ammunition. Investigators say Wahhaj and a friend were allowed to remove the firearms from the Explorer into a box truck. They told police they were going camping 1,400 miles away in New Mexico. Eight months later, the desert compound was raided .

Days after their New Mexico compound was raided, the remains believed to be Siraj's young son Abdul Ghani were found there. Investigators say the three-year-old was kidnapped in Georgia by his father. Investigators believe he was killed during a religious ritual.
Some of you may remember the original story, but looks like this guy had multiple training centers.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Well then, this will surely serve as some "red meat for the base", as the saying goes. Ahhh, and just as election season is heating up.

A kid killed in a religious ritual? This is disturbing stuff. That poor child may not have even been named or cared for properly, living a pathetic life. Are we returning to the decay of the dark ages or something?

What solutions are Democrats offering? They may disagree with Trump and the Republicans (building a wall), but what is the alternative?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
Well then, this will surely serve as some "red meat for the base", as the saying goes. Ahhh, and just as election season is heating up.

A kid killed in a religious ritual? This is disturbing stuff. That poor child may not have even been named or cared for properly, living a pathetic life. Are we returning to the decay of the dark ages or something?

What solutions are Democrats offering? They may disagree with Trump and the Republicans (building a wall), but what is the alternative?
Can you elaborate on what you are talking about here?

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Can you elaborate on what you are talking about here?
I am interested in how Democrats hope to help Republicans curb domestic terrorism. We recently had a thread about home-grown terror in Minnesota, a Democrat 'blue wall' stronghold. This is in my own backyard (I live in Michigan) so it is in my own best interests to ask what Democrats are offering to help deal with this problem.

Many of our current gov't positions in the Midwest are still held by Democrats, after all.

Wahhaj does have an interesting history, in case you weren't aware.

Last edited:

Trojita

Feb 9, 2009
I am interested in how Democrats hope to help Republicans curb domestic terrorism. We recently had a thread about home-grown terror in Minnesota, a Democrat 'blue wall' stronghold. This is in my own backyard (I live in Michigan) so it is in my own best interests to ask what Democrats are offering to help deal with this problem.

Many of our current gov't positions in the Midwest are still held by Democrats, after all.

Wahhaj does have an interesting history, in case you weren't aware.
That's a really generic question that could have been asked in "How are Republicans helping democrats curb domestic terrorism?". Both political groups have blinders, at a public level at least, on groups they don't want to acknowledge as being as big of an issue as they can become. I was asking for you to elaborate because I wasn't sure where you were going with your statements since Wahhaj was born here, and it would be as simple as saying that they shouldn't have been brought here. Do you want more monitoring or a stop in refugees immigrants brought in from the countries that are starting to populate Michigan? The various agencies whether under Republican or Democrat leadership continue to try and monitor and prevent domestic terrorists regardless of letters next to the name of the person on top.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
That's a really generic question that could have been asked in "How are Republicans helping democrats curb domestic terrorism?". Both political groups have blinders, at a public level at least, on groups they don't want to acknowledge as being as big of an issue as they can become. I was asking for you to elaborate because I wasn't sure where you were going with your statements since Wahhaj was born here, and it would be as simple as saying that they shouldn't have been brought here. Do you want more monitoring or a stop in refugees immigrants brought in from the countries that are starting to populate Michigan? The various agencies whether under Republican or Democrat leadership continue to try and monitor and prevent domestic terrorists regardless of letters next to the name of the person on top.
Sure, sure, all politicians are equally shit. But these are Democrat-held areas

Republicans have been lambasted for supporting so-called "muslim bans" by Democrats. Okay, so when these home-grown terrorists are appearing in areas populated in the way you described, what is the solution offered by the Democrats who opposed the ban on the influx of these refugees and immigrants?

You can't have it both ways. You can't blame Republicans for their various degrees of "racist", anti-immigrant, anti-muslim standpoints and then at the same time say "deal with home-grown muslim terrorism? Who us? Why is this a Democrat problem?"

It's especially crass when the Democrat party proudly brags about "first muslim woman elected to [position]" and takes a very pro-CAIR stance in their public statements and their policies.

Last edited:

autoduelist

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2014
That's a really generic question that could have been asked in "How are Republicans helping democrats curb domestic terrorism?".
But we know the answer to this, on a broad level.

Reduce illegal immigration.
Reform legal immigration, ensuring solid background checks.
Ban immigration from countries that are particularly hostile to the US.
Empower agencies like ice to remove illegal immigrants from the country.
Promoting policies that encourage assimilation.

While not all of these are aimed directly at terrorism, its part of it, alongside reducing the drug trade, cartels, human trafficing, etc.

Meanwhile, Bernie wants to give convicted terrorists the ability to vote. We see the left rallying against any police force at all. They want open borders.

So, no, I don't think your recharacterization is at all correct.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

Trojita

Feb 9, 2009
Sure, sure, all politicians are equally shit. But these are Democrat-held areas

Republicans have been lambasted for supporting so-called "muslim bans" by Democrats. Okay, so when these home-grown terrorists are appearing in areas populated in the way you described, what is the solution offered by the Democrats who opposed the ban on the influx of these refugees and immigrants?

You can't have it both ways. You can't blame Republicans for their various degrees of "racist", anti-immigrant, anti-muslim standpoints and then at the same time say "deal with home-grown muslim terrorism? Who us? Why is this a Democrat problem?"

It's especially crass when the Democrat party proudly brags about "first muslim woman elected to [position]" and takes a very pro-CAIR stance in their public statements and their policies.
I think they should monitor based on tips and intel. Those planning an attack should be tried in court, imprisoned, or expelled from the country depending on citizenship. Immigration with higher levels of monitored terrorist activity should be decreased.

Now I'll pass the hot potato to you

How are the Republicans going to help the Democrats with the documented increased activity of White supremacist domestic terrorism?

Last edited:

Trojita

Feb 9, 2009
But we know the answer to this, on a broad level.

Reduce illegal immigration.
Reform legal immigration, ensuring solid background checks.
Ban immigration from countries that are particularly hostile to the US.
Empower agencies like ice to remove illegal immigrants from the country.
Promoting policies that encourage assimilation.

While not all of these are aimed directly at terrorism, its part of it, alongside reducing the drug trade, cartels, human trafficing, etc.

Meanwhile, Bernie wants to give convicted terrorists the ability to vote. We see the left rallying against any police force at all. They want open borders.

So, no, I don't think your recharacterization is at all correct.
But in this case we have a first or second generation American that was planning these attacks. The immigration debate has nothing to do with this thread in particular. Only when involving Michigan does immigration get brought up here. Wahhaj was the son of a Nation of Islam guy, whose family has been here a long time.

You are also conflating the "online left"'s feelings on enforcement with Democrats in general which aren't the same. Most Democrats still support Biden as the primary frontrunner, and those aren't the same people that are rallying against any police force (which even that is a very tiny minority of people within the groups asking for more accountability).

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I think they should monitor based on tips and intel. Those planning an attack should be tried in court, imprisoned, or expelled from the country depending on citizenship. Immigration with higher levels of monitored terrorist activity should be decreased.

Now I'll pass the hot potato to you

How are the Republicans going to help the democrats with the documented increased activity of White supremacist domestic terrorism?
Republicans already are. As @autoduelist pointed out above, conservative groups are already offering a variety of measures to curb the overall problem of domestic terrorism. It was under Bush Jr that all these 'Patriot Act' invasions landed in our laps. It wasn't very long ago that those things were still controversial and frowned up, believe it or not, but I guess memory-holing is easier now than ever. How Republicans do or don't handle white supremacy has little bearing on how Democrats handle domestic islamic extremism, in either case.

Republicans have offered solutions. Admittedly, they have flaws. Some of the Republican ideas have such terrible flaws that they would cause more damage than they'd repair. The point being: they are offering solutions and trying to fix a real issue in our modern-day United States. Calling criticism of islam "racist" and ignoring the problem isn't going to make it go away, so if Democrats have better ideas than the Republicans on how to handle it, please speak up now.

If you know of a specific area where Republicans are (a) contributing to the rise of White supremacist domestic terrorism, or (b) refusing to address the rise of White supremacist terrorism, then let's identify that and condemn it and primary against those candidates who do it.

I am not myself a Republican, by the way, so don't hold back. My ideal is an environment of harsh criticism toward both parties so that we can hopefully get better elected officials in the future.

Trojita

Feb 9, 2009
Republicans already are. As @autoduelist pointed out above, conservative groups are already offering a variety of measures to curb the overall problem of domestic terrorism. It was under Bush Jr that all these 'Patriot Act' invasions landed in our laps. It wasn't very long ago that those things were still controversial and frowned up, believe it or not, but I guess memory-holing is easier now than ever. How Republicans do or don't handle white supremacy has little bearing on how Democrats handle domestic islamic extremism, in either case.

Republicans have offered solutions. Admittedly, they have flaws. Some of the Republican ideas have such terrible flaws that they would cause more damage than they'd repair. The point being: they are offering solutions and trying to fix a real issue in our modern-day United States. Calling criticism of islam "racist" and ignoring the problem isn't going to make it go away, so if Democrats have better ideas than the Republicans on how to handle it, please speak up now.

If you know of a specific area where Republicans are (a) contributing to the rise of White supremacist domestic terrorism, or (b) refusing to address the rise of White supremacist terrorism, then let's identify that and condemn it and primary against those candidates who do it.

I am not myself a Republican, by the way, so don't hold back. My ideal is an environment of harsh criticism toward both parties so that we can hopefully get better elected officials in the future.
I more so have a problem with Republicans ignoring the white supremacist domestic terrorists in the same way that Democrats can ignore the possibility for an increase in Islam inspired domestic terrorists.

Do you know if The Patroit act was intended for finding white supremacist domestic terrorists or had an achievable effect in finding them? I also wouldn't recommend spouting the virtues of an act that was likely unconstitutional in some of its provisions and also had wide support from Democrat congress voters as well.

autoduelist

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2014
But in this case we have a first or second generation American that was planning these attacks. The immigration debate has nothing to do with this thread in particular. Only when involving Michigan does immigration get brought up here. Wahhaj was the son of a Nation of Islam guy, whose family has been here a long time.

You are also conflating the "online left"'s feelings on enforcement with Democrats in general which aren't the same. Most Democrats still support Biden as the primary frontrunner, and those aren't the same people that are rallying against any police force (which even that is a very tiny minority of people within the groups asking for more accountability).
The first part relates to assimilation. Islamic radicalization often occurs in groups, whereas crazy off the charts ethno-violence is often self radicalized.

No solution can cover every case. We can not stop every case of crazy without draconian measures. We can limit the risk of it, however.

Regarding your last paragraph, I absolutley disagree that it isn't corrupting the entire democratic party. Beto wants full open borders and wants to tear down existing walls. Bernie wants terrorists to vote. Harris couldnt give a straight answer on the topic because she was scared of pushback at first. These are big faces in the primaries, not unknowns. The anti-police rhetoric is massive, and while I may have pointed out an extreme example, it's still widespread.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I more so have a problem with Republicans ignoring the white supremacist domestic terrorists in the same way that Democrats can ignore the possibility for an increase in Islam inspired domestic terrorists.

Do you know if The Patroit act was intended for finding white supremacist domestic terrorists or had an achievable effect in finding them? I also wouldn't recommend spouting the virtues of an act that was likely unconstitutional in some of its provisions and also had wide support from Democrat congress voters as well.
I wasn't espousing the virtues of the Patriot Act at all. I'm against it. This is why I said "I'm not a Republican", so I think you're mistaking where I'm coming from.

I was pointing out that Republicans have been offering their solution to the rise of domestic terrorism, the Patriot Act. Republicans have also ramped up other counter-terrorism efforts in our country, and this very same topic is being leveraged for the Mexican border argument as well.

If there are better solutions than tightening up border security and so-called "muslim bans" (and certainly there could be) then let's hear them. Democrats are playing the game of doing nothing because they oppose their opponents' solution. The problem won't go away just because Democrats refuse to talk about it and call it "racist" and "Islamophobic".

In what specific ways are the Republicans ignoring the white supremacist domestic terrorists? Please be specific.

autoduelist

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2014
You're acting like this is some massive ever present threat. It isn't, unless you actively paint anyone white doing something bad as white supremicist. Our govt acts against all domestic threats, regardless of the color of the perp.

Edit: except for antifa. For some reason, those supremicists get to keep harming people.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
And this is why the democrats can't be trusted to deal with this issue. They don't take them seriously

Trojita

Feb 9, 2009
You're acting like this is some massive ever present threat. It isn't, unless you actively paint anyone white doing something bad as white supremicist. Our govt acts against all domestic threats, regardless of the color of the perp.

Edit: except for antifa. For some reason, those supremicists get to keep harming people.
Bolded is what should be happening. Problem is that your sentence before that could be flipped in the same way with the way advocates ask for not all Islam worshippers to be painted with a broad brush because of extremists.

Last edited: