• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terror in Resonance announced - Shinichiro Watanabe, Yoko Kanno, Kazuto Nakazawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

There was backlash against Kids on the Slope? It's amazing.

Space Dandy frankly is not very good but oh well, I'm still watching the episodes from Cartoon Network. I'm very excited about this new one.

I think the biggest flaw in Kids on the Slope is that they didn't have enough episodes for the material they were adapting, so the second half felt disjointed and pretty rushed. Episode 7 remains the peak of the series both in structure and in emotional terms. Still, I think it was a pretty well made show with a story and setting which is pretty appealing.

Arondight

Could be good I guess. Story seems interesting, animations looks great and character design seems ok except for that guys grin which is just...

Keeping expectations down because of Space Dandy which I find pretty disappointing.

zlhk1pe.jpg

I never understood this japanese stereotype, why is it a cat's tooth for effeminate character

Hyped! Instantly thought of Toyko Magnitude when i saw the image, bring it on!

I wonder though, is it terrorism or natural disaster or a mixture of both? (judging by the thread title that never came to be it would be the former).

Branduil

Hyped! Instantly thought of Toyko Magnitude when i saw the image, bring it on!

I wonder though, is it terrorism or natural disaster or a mixture of both? (judging by the thread title that never came to be it would be the former).

What kind of natural disaster causes targeted explosions in skyscrapers?

MormaPope

Banned
So fucking in, this looks neat as hell. Really dig the imagery of the picture in the OP, as fucked up as that sounds. All the names attached makes this a instant watch.

Is the first chunk of Space Dandy done? I was going to try getting into that but decided to wait until the first 13 episodes air or when the entire show gets wrapped up.

What kind of natural disaster causes targeted explosions in skyscrapers?

I'm thinking the debris around them in that image might be from more then just those explosions, maybe an anarchist took advantage of a situation like a quake or something to strike at the government (or it could just be a series of explosions all over the city and those burning towers are just the beginning).

Enron

Banned
its been up for hours, and only 74 posts. Had the original thread title been used, we'd be sailing past the 500s now.

Jex

So, after Kids on the Slope and Space Dandy we have an announcement for Terror in Tokyo. Remember when Watanabe didn't really make any shows for a decade? Now he's starting to produce them on a regular basis! He's already doubled the number of shows that he's directed! That's pretty crazy.

Dynedom

So, after Kids on the Slope and Space Dandy we have an announcement for Terror in Tokyo. Remember when Watanabe didn't really make any shows for a decade? Now he's starting to produce them on a regular basis! He's already doubled the number of shows that he's directed! That's pretty crazy.

What can be said of the quality though?

tbm24

I wasn't aware some people didn't like kids on the slope. I loved it from beginning to end and the soundtrack is amazing, genuinely amazing. I haven't seen space dandy but looking forward to Terror in Tokyo. It seems right up my alley.

Jex

Kids on the Slope is a good show, not a great one though and it suffers from being too short compared to the material it's attempting to cover, leading to pacing/development problems in the second half. Still, that's not to say it's a "bad show" and the middle of the show fantastic.

Space Dandy is weird, because even though Watanabe's influence is clear throughout the series as a whole feels much more like an anthology collection of short films ala Robot Carnival. As the writer/director of each episode are given so much creative freedom in terms of art style, writing, tone etc. the quality varies hugely based on the staff. Sometimes it's outstanding, sometimes it's boring. But it's really cool how much free reign the staff are given to make their own thing. Therefore this series, more than his other works, is really a reflection of all the different staff working on it.

okayfrog

Banned

Kids on the Slope and Space Dandy are both solid shows. Not as memorable as Bebop or Champloo, but still solid. I'm sure this upcoming show will be solid as well.

... but all we want is another show like Champloo/Bebop. Just give us a few weirdos wandering through a certain time period.

TheRancor

Kids on the Slope is a good show, not a great one though and it suffers from being too short compared to the material it's attempting to cover, leading to pacing/development problems in the second half. Still, that's not to say it's a "bad show" and the middle of the show fantastic.

Space Dandy is weird, because even though Watanabe's influence is clear throughout the series as a whole feels much more like an anthology collection of short films ala Robot Carnival. As the writer/director of each episode are given so much creative freedom in terms of art style, writing, tone etc. the quality varies hugely based on the staff. Sometimes it's outstanding, sometimes it's boring. But it's really cool how much free reign the staff are given to make their own thing. Therefore this series, more than his other works, is really a reflection of all the different staff working on it.
Pretty much this. Especially for those lamenting/disappointed why we aren't getting more Bebop or Champloo style works.

Dynedom

This is the consensus I've heard about it. Still need to check it out for dat jazz though.

Is it fair to call this a Watanabe show in the same sense as Champloo and Bebop?

Kids on the Slope and Space Dandy are both solid shows. Not as memorable as Bebop or Champloo, but still solid. I'm sure this upcoming show will be solid as well.

... but all we want is another show like Champloo/Bebop. Just give us a few weirdos wandering through a certain time period.

I've put expectations into check when it comes to expecting another Bebop and Champlo, haha.

Truthfully it would be hard to top off the 1-2-3 hits of Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop, then Samurai Champloo.

This.

Vinci

Danish
If nothing else, absolutely nothing else, this means I get to look forward to more Kanno music. Which is never a bad thing.

Dennis

Banned
What is it about?

Besides High School.

In Japan life ends when you leave High School. I know this because I watch Japanimation.

Jay Sosa

Only like the girls design.

Guy on the left looks like a reject from that swimming anime. And I'll bet 50 space bucks he does the 'adjusts glasses with one finger' shtick.

That's what people wearing glasses do. I do that too and I ain't no anime character
I see your point though

.la1n

Is this the same series that was being discussed as Watanabe's return to more "serious" anime around the time we learned about Space Dandy?

Hopefully he's been putting all of his creative juices in this. Space Dandy has been downright awful. The best episode is on par with the worst episodes of Samurai Champloo. Still want his figure though...

Cwarrior

As i said before

Couldn't look more disgusting generic if they tried hold..... on instead of anime generic the character look manga Super Ultra Mega bland Generic.

At least space dandy character design & colour palette look good this new one terror in tokyo looks so bland & generic it makes me want to vomit.

On watanabe last shows

Kids on a slope was just a series of cringe drama scenes randomly plucked out of the very long Manga it was based on, overall it was consistently a forgettable & uninteresting ehh experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom