• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terror in Resonance |OT| Bebop/Champloo director takes on 24 and Sherlock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

ibulJXooZsIkRd.png

What is it?

AnimeNewsNetwork said:
One summer day, a terrorist attack strikes Tokyo. The perpetrators are two boys who call themselves "Sphinx." The attack was just the beginning of the grandiose game they are playing that will envelop all of Japan.

Why should I care?

See the next section.

Who is making it?

Madhouse offshoot studio Mappa is producing the series for the noitaminA anime block.

Shinichiro Watanabe of Cowboy Bebop fame is directing.

Yoko Kanno is providing the lovely score.

Someone calling themselves Shoten Yano is writing the script.

Assistant Director - Yuzuru Tachikawa (Death Billiards)

Character Design - Kazuto Nakazawa (Nadja, House of Five Leaves, Samurai Champloo)

Art Director - Hidetoshi Kaneko (Mouryou no Hako, Record of Lodoss War OVA, Trigun)

Where can I watch it?

Funimation is streaming it in the US: http://www.funimation.com/shows/terror-in-resonance/home

Wakanim.tv is supposedly streaming for the UK and France

Characters

ihCfGfraUHThp.jpg

Shin "Nine" Kokonoe
Voiced by: Kaito Ishikawa

Nine is a calm young man with a bright mind who attends high school with Twelve. However, his true motive is wrapped in mystery.

izIsDhzfirKhD.jpg

Fuyuji "Twelve" Kumi
Voiced by: Soma Saito

Twelve is a young man with a child-like innocence who treats Nine like a big brother. Twelve goes to the same high school as Nine and works alongside him.

ibqEh3KO7AhEYJ.jpg

Lisa "Risa" Mishima
Voiced by: Atsumi Tanezaki

Lisa Mishima attends the high school Nine and Twelve transfer into. She is bullied in her class and has problems at home as well. By meeting Twelve, her fate changes into something unbelievable.

ib1kt6xm7kRfBI.jpg

Shibasaki
Voice by: Shunsuke Sakuya

A member of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department who is in charge of the terrorism division.

ibswpaCaSpZ2EP.jpg

Five
Voiced by: Megumi Han

An American FBI government operative who travels to Japan as part of her duties with NEST to lend support to Shibasaki.

Character profiles stolen from MyAnimeList.com.

Official Website: http://terror-in-tokyo.com/

OST Website: http://terror-in-tokyo.com/ost.html

Preview trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONnhZEnvaNA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDtA8aYjzzM

Full Staff List: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=15974

Air date for new episodes: Thursdays at 12:50pm EST

Branduil

First impressions

ibqNvqrY62zmWd.jpg

Terror in Resonance 1-2

So I was in the fucked up theater. Took them half an hour to fix the source. Funniest thing ever at a con.

So the first two episodes are pretty slow. That said I love the atmosphere in both episodes. The striking thing about the show is the character animation. There are some really great shots of the characters. One in particular was
Twelve on the stairs. You could see how dangerous and cold blooded he was, just in his eyes. He's still smiling like always but for the first time, he looks like a killer. The lighting does wonders here

I'm surprised by Twelve as a character actually. I expected him to be annoying but he's a really dynamic character and works as a good contrast with Nine. They also both have good chemistry with each other.

A lot of you guys are going to hate the 2nd episode though as it's pretty exposition heavy.

Terror in Resonance 1-2 Premiere
The immediate, most striking difference between TIR and all of Watanabe's previous works is in it's tone. The topic of terrorism in a modern setting doesn't feel like it leaves a lot of room for light hearted banter. Two of the show's main characters, Nine and Twelve, are depicted pretty quickly as effective terrorists;
they're not explicitly seen killing anyone in a ruthless way in these two episodes though.
That being said, between them and the unwilling Risa, (who's already been shown with some serious household issues) there's not a lot of room for a cheery atmosphere (and Twelve's jokey nature comes off more as an unhinged personality than a legitimately funny character). It's hard for me to speak accurately on the pace of the show since they kept stopping and starting due to the corrupted file I mentioned earlier today, but it did feel effective and deliberate. The show spends a decent amount of time with the older, former detective (now in the records division due to unknown circumstances) Shibasaki who's 2nd handedly following the chain of events caused by the kids. As a result, we spend a lot of time with the Tokyo Metropolitan Police, and the narrative, in turn, gets a very police procedural feel. That tone coupled with Yoko Kanno's unsurprisingly fantastic direction in the OST gave me Ghost in the Shell: SAC flashbacks pretty quickly.

The three main kids aren't exactly likable: Nine is cold and robotic; Twelve is rash and sociopathic; and Risa is helpless and naive. A lot managed to happen in these two episodes, but the character's motivations and pasts have only been hinted at or remain mysterious. We get a small glimpse in what appears to be Twelve and Nine's past in the form of a nightmare. Some dialogue lightly hints at them
living at some form of institution as children, which makes me think the story might end up having some parallels with Monster, or at least it's antagonist.
I'll be interested to see how they plan to develop the characters, since they really have nowhere to head but down.

The series production, at least in these first two episodes, feels very rounded. The character animation ranges from good to outstanding. The sound design feels very suited to it's themes. What stuck out most to me was how well MAPPA managed to create a fully realized Tokyo. The backgrounds felt extremely consistent— like they were never short changing the location by cutting corners. I hope that's something they're able to keep up.

I'm interested by the series, I think it's got a lot of potential!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Expecting a another Watanabe blunder like Kids on the Slope and Space Dandy. Something about the art style and premise isn't getting me excited at all, at this point.

That said, I'm still expecting it to be pretty good like those shows above, just not classics the same way Bebop and Champloo were. Here's hoping Watanabe surprises me with the mild expectations I have at this point!

Moaradin

Looking forward to this. Looks interesting.

Expecting a another Watanabe blunder like Kids on the Slope and Space Dandy. Something about the art style and premise isn't getting me excited at all, at this point.

That said, I'm still expecting it to be pretty good like those shows above, just not classics the same way Bebop and Champloo were. Here's hoping Watanabe surprises me with the mild expectations I have at this point!

But that's great.

Uuuuuuggghhhh. Hate Funimations app and paywall. Already pay for Crunchyroll and Hulu Plus. Don't need another. Still excited, just disappointed in viewing methods...

JKTrix

Subbed. This was one of the things that made me want to go to Anime Expo, but remembering the challenges some screenings I saw last year had soured that plan.

Gorillaz

First season 2 of space dandy and now this. Dat summer of Watanabe. I've been interested in this for a few months so hopefully it is good. Sad its only 11 episodes tho

duckroll

Episode 1

I think it's off to a pretty good start. It's not going to be a long series, so hopefully it stays focused and tight without trying to do too many things. I don't think we need another mystery show which relies on "twists" to drive the plot forward. There are enough hints at internal turmoil within the leads to make a compelling character focused drama here, so I hope that's what it sticks with.

The direction is solid so far, and the camerawork has some nice dynamic flow. Great use of music too, even if it's pretty nontraditional at times. I'm definitely interested in seeing how the story handles the psyche and rational of homegrown terrorists within Japan. If it's done well, it could be really intriguing. Big if though!

Terror in Resonance 1

I don't know who exactly wrote this, but he is a fucking hack.
I think I had a problem with the screenplay every 90 seconds, from start to end.
When the initial sequence of stealing in a nuclear plant finished, I thought "oh, I didn't know this was a fantasy anime. I suppose Chaika will appear soon". And it went on and on from there.
From the plainly unrealistic (not even military grade explosive can demolish that building) to the just contrived coincidences (of course the girl meets them in the building, and of course it happens to be saved by some trauma of the mc) and unexplained stuff (where do they get all that stuff? from the explosives to the bike. I hope it's explained) to the derivative (hi Nine and Twelve super-talented children escaped from some government secret facility now searching vengeance using the abilities gained while you were raised by them).
And the girl going SPLOOGE in the final moment instead of being afragid because some terrorists made me lol.

I still don't want to enter in details as maybe some stuff can be explained in the later episodes, but the first impression isn't good.

The direction was very decent, but nothing to shout "Watanabe-sama thanks for saving anime" or anything like that.

A bad start, once a work irks me with the lack of plausibility (in a series where the setting and tone indicates a more serious realism) I start seeing it negatively, which makes me notice even more faults.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Terror in Resonance 1

That was pretty good, the premise despite dealing with high-schoolers already feels quite original already as it's emphasising a perspective you don't usually see in anime.

Plus the OP is incredible. Gives me off serious GITS SAC vibes.

Ruuppa

So the heroes are the bad guys, right? I can't see them in any other light after the first episode. I hope the detective proves to be interesting.

Art, animation and direction seem to be right good, but the story.. Well, we'll see in the next episodes.

Free members have to wait a week to watch on Funimation's website, right? What about if we paid for the app?

EDIT: Answered my own question, can indeed watch in the paid version of the app while logged in to free account. I know what I'm doing later!

Branduil

Terror in Resonance 01

Really strong first episode. The opening heist sequence feels reminiscent of the bomb search scene in the Cowboy Bebop film. Prime example of great editing and intercutting to create a rising sense of action; Watanabe is a master at this.

Speaking of Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door, I'm getting a lot of similar vibes from TiR, thematically. Both dealt with the idea of terrorists created as a result of evil government plots(at least, that's what I'm assuming TiR is going for right now). It will be interesting to see where they go with this.

The animation and art direction were pretty much flawless as well, the sort of sickly and green-tinted high-contrast lighting create a feeling of unease and something that's not quite right. The background art also does a good job of establishing each location as a believable and real place; you certainly feel like you're in the middle of a large and sprawling metropolis during the episode. And Kanno's soundtrack is great as always.

The Koike ED looks really great, and the OP is one of the best I've seen in a while, especially in terms of its layers of symbolism and meaning; it's not just random sequences they thought would look cool. I might write more on this later.

fertygo

That was great, feel like perfect opening episode.. you got straight introduced to main cast, know them well enough, not dragging the premise, and great production value.. dat opening scene and ending man.. no bullshit yo. this is what first episode of Aldnoah Zero should have been.

Although its seem the show gonna closer to Death Note's animuish type of realism scope than nitty gritty western TV/Movie, not that I'm complaining lol

Btw I think the OP is a mess visually, good song though.. but the ED are great, maybe the best of the season.

Mononoke

Banned
Count me in as someone that liked this. I really liked the tone/pacing. It's slow, but I think it played into the mood/aesthetics. It's such an odd show (in terms of how the story and characters are presented). I don't want to jump the gun (as I don't know what the characters motivations are, or who they are)...but it's kind of eerie/uncomfortable to have main characters be terrorist that are so cold. Given how often we have mass shootings and terrorist attacks in today's world, it's just strange to see a story from the perspective of someone carrying out an attack on the public.

I feel like even IF they justify their actions (and the plot isn't what we think), it's still an uncomfortable story/ focus of characters. But in a way, I guess that's what also made it interesting. I will say, this show has to walk a pretty thin line (since it's possibly covering very serious topics today). Some might find it shocking or distasteful. But I'm willing to go along for the ride. Because ultimately, I really liked the art style (thought some of the scenery shots were gorgeous). And I oddly like the cold character/tone, as it left me wanting to more about what's going on.

Branduil

Terror in Resonance OP: analysis

The opening credits for this series have a lot of neat visuals, alongside a nice song, but more than that, I think there's a lot of meaning and subtext in the specific imagery chosen, so let's analyze that.

They begin with an explosion of some kind, followed by quick, eerie shots of the two leads. The entire opening is overlaid with a variety of digital overlays and graphics, a fairly common effect used in credit sequences. It can suggest multilayered stories, hidden structures, a fake world, or it can be used just to look cool. I would theorize, for now, that the first two are the most likely meanings.

We move on to establishing the setting, Tokyo. The shots chosen create an image of a sprawling, interconnected and modern city. The shot of a spiral staircase, with digital distortion, foreshadows something disturbing the order of the city, something spiraling out of control.

The shot of a young Twelve with the images of the gear/clock-like structures overlaid inside of him suggests a mechanical and calculating soul. We then see what appears to be Twelve and Nine calmly watching a nuclear blast, a disturbing incongruity which speaks to both their abnormal character and implies they might have played a hand in it happening.

Next come two of the more potent symbols in the show. We see a young Twelve and Nine standing behind a fence and watching three birds, two black and one white, fly away over a twilit Tokyo. Metaphors using birds are extremely common; they can generically symbolize freedom; black birds, such as crows and ravens, commonly symbolize tricksters or ill omens. A white bird can symbolize innocence or peace. In this case, the two black birds are obviously representations of Twelve and Nine, with the white bird representing the other child no longer with them(and whom Twelve wants to use Lisa as a substitute for).

We then see a fence the camera is rapidly pushing towards, implying a first-person shot of running. The fence stands for both boundaries, separating two worlds from each, and entrapment, a device used to cage things and deny them their freedom.

We return to the gear/clock devices. Twelve and Nine stand in complementary poses, showing their unity of mind and the calculating, patient nature of their plans. Nine stands in a confident and glowering posture, hiding his eyes and thus his thoughts behind his glasses.

We first see Lisa leaning on a metal beam for support. She appears both weak and weary. The fence returns, a visualization of how Lisa feels trapped in her world. The camera reverses to her POV, viewing Twelve and Nine on the other side of the fence. She wishes to cross the "forbidden" boundary and escape to the "freedom" they seem to promise her.

Of course, the scene then transitions to one of the more disquieting sequences in the OP. A cheerful Twelve gives way to a malicious, cold grin. The multiple frames suggest duplicity and omniscience. The clear implication is that Twelve is not to be trusted.

Tokyo dissolves into pixelated virtual structure, possibly representing the hidden infrastructure of the city, as well as the cold, mechanical way the protagonists analyze the city. We zoom in to Shibasaki, showing him as part of the city, but also possibly special in some way, as he alone is able to gaze back at the camera.

The initial shot of Five, focusing on her chest, can obviously function as fanservice/male gaze, but we quickly pan up to her face, where the ambiguous backdrop, harsh lighting, and the scissors she holds in her hands suggest we shouldn't judge her by our initial "lustful" impression; she's a dangerous woman, and possibly a serious wildcard in the story.

Lisa runs as the background and people behind her increasingly blur into abstract streaks. The farther she runs from her problems, the more she will lose her connection to humanity and civilization; yet she feels naked and vulnerable, so she will keep running, seeing our two leads and their dangerous plots as her only future.

Nine stands atop a skyscraper overlooking all of Tokyo, like a strategist looking down on a map. The lack of glasses implies this is his true self. He blindly leaps backwards amidst gravity-defying glass shards in a seemingly suicidal plunge, but the smile on his face suggests it's all part of his plan; he's not afraid to cross the line of no return. Besides being a self-homage to Cowboy Bebop, the "bang" sign with his hand shows a certain playful disdain and condescension towards his enemies.

The final shot shows Twelve and Nine looking at Tokyo with a fence inbetween them. The fence could represent a Tokyo that's been caged by the two masterminds, but its shape is ambiguous; it could also represent a Twelve and Nine that have been caged by the city and those the city symbolizes. We see the white feather from the bird again, and they stand in a field of grass, an ironically peaceful image since that's the last thing they plan to bring to Tokyo.

Gorillaz

it's an interesting take on "terrorism"...obviously silly a bit but having the main character be terrorist is a different approach especially for an anime

I liked the first episode, I wonder if they are planning to pull this off as a serious story or as a "serious but with some humor to make the MC likable" story.

The two smoldering buildings in the back of that picture seems in really poor taste, especially with the terrorist premise. Wonder if that gets erased for the western localization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom