• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terror in Resonance |OT| Bebop/Champloo director takes on 24 and Sherlock

Status
Not open for further replies.
It being brought over at all beyond streaming might be controversial. I mean, it's a series with terrorists given the sympathetic point of view. Not the kind of thing you see here ever.

duckroll

The two smoldering buildings in the back of that picture seems in really poor taste, especially with the terrorist premise. Wonder if that gets erased for the western localization.

Poor taste? It's what the show is about. Why would it be erased? It's a real building in Japan, one of the most ironic government buildings in Tokyo.

TvUcqIf.jpg

The two smoldering buildings in the back of that picture seems in really poor taste, especially with the terrorist premise. Wonder if that gets erased for the western localization.

Kind of hard to erase that when the first episode is about the two boys blowing up said building.

It being brought over at all beyond streaming might be controversial. I mean, it's a series with terrorists given the sympathetic point of view. Not the kind of thing you see here ever.

I would argue that the terrorists aren't really made out to be sympathetic, at least to judge by the first episode. There's something inhuman about their behavior and attitudes.

I would argue that the terrorists aren't really made out to be sympathetic, at least to judge by the first episode. There's something inhuman about their behavior and attitudes.

Perhaps, but I imagine their apparently shitty back stories will cast them in a more sympathetic light, even if they aren't exactly portrayed as the "good guys".

Mononoke

Banned
Perhaps, but I imagine their apparently shitty back stories will cast them in a more sympathetic light, even if they aren't exactly portrayed as the "good guys".

Yeah, the show really has to be careful. I mean, it's not like this would be the first show to have protagonist or main characters be bad guys or evil. But since this is a very modern subject (and very important topic), it really has to be handled well. I have no issue with terrorists having a sympathetic history. Fact is, not all bad people are born bad. And some criminals can be sympathetic.

It doesn't excuse their actions, or justify them. So that's really what is important here. We need to know what exactly they are doing (why they are doing it), and then see if the show tries to justify the actions. Personally, assuming that people actually were killed in this terrorist attack, no back story will justify what they did (and I hope the show doesn't try to justify it). But that doesn't mean you can't still find their story sympathetic. Or that evil people can't be interesting characters that you can pity or connect to on an emotional level.

I just hope it doesn't get too hokey, and doesn't try to make the subject matter silly.

duckroll

How would that be any different from terrorists in real life though? They all mostly have shitty stories or reasons for being what they are. Terrorism is just an active form of expressing a strong ideology in the wrong way. That ideology comes from somewhere. Is the Palestinian situation not sympathetic? Is Israel really the "good guy" in the conflict? Does the IRA create public disturbance because they're just bad people with no backgrounds? Or are they waging a domestic battle indoctrinated by generations of hatred, bloodshed, and perceived oppression?

Gorillaz

Yeah, the show really has to be careful. I mean, it's not like this would be the first show to have protagonist or main characters be bad guys or evil. But since this is a very modern subject (and very important topic), it really has to be handled well. I have no issue with terrorists having a sympathetic history. Fact is, not all bad people are born bad. And some criminals can be sympathetic.

It doesn't excuse their actions, or justify them. So that's really what is important here. We need to know what exactly they are doing (why they are doing it), and then see if the show tries to justify the actions. Personally, assuming that people actually were killed in this terrorist attack, no back story will justify what they did (and I hope the show doesn't try to justify it). But that doesn't mean you can't still find their story sympathetic.

I think they should play this completely straight to be honest, but the way that first episode came off, with the chick and "9" (is it 9?) it seems like they will try to create a sympathetic back story, probably something along the lines of them doing it to honor a fallen friend or something. I'm half expecting it to possibly go down some romance storyline. Which would be a huge fuck up if it did.

Mononoke

Banned
How would that be any different from terrorists in real life though? They all mostly have shitty stories or reasons for being what they are. Terrorism is just an active form of expressing a strong ideology in the wrong way. That ideology comes from somewhere. Is the Palestinian situation not sympathetic? Is Israel really the "good guy" in the conflict? Does the IRA create public disturbance because they're just bad people with no backgrounds? Or are they waging a domestic battle indoctrinated by generations of hatred, bloodshed, and perceived oppression?

Yeah, and it's important to understand their actions. It's kind of silly to say someone is bad/evil and that's that. You should try to understand why they are using these tactics, and what they are fighting against. I have no issue with a story tackling this, even if it's uncomfortable at times. Like I said above, it all comes down to their actions (why they did it), and how the show tries to handle it. I hope they don't try to forcefully justify, and instead kind of leave it open ended.

Branduil

I think this is Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door told from the perspective of the terrorists.

Portraying terrorists as well-rounded characters is different from portraying them as right. There's no requirement that the protagonists of the story also be the good guys.

duckroll

I think they should play this completely straight to be honest, but the way that first episode came off, with the chick and "9" (is it 9?) it seems like they will try to create a sympathetic back story, probably something along the lines of them doing it to honor a fallen friend or something.

I don't feel what they're doing is likely something sentimental or emotional like that. It seems there's a planned timeline and specific tasks and objectives. They stole the nuclear materials, disappeared again for 6 months, reappeared to create panic. There's definitely a larger game plan here, and it seems to be about destabilization. Considering the inspiration here is is a modern brand of terrorism, it is likely that the aim is public chaos and making people think of a message they're sending. Considering this is set in Japan though, that's probably the trickiest part in terms of logic. It's a pretty apathetic society in general when it comes to politics and ideologies.

Mononoke

Banned
I don't feel what they're doing is likely something sentimental or emotional like that. It seems there's a planned timeline and specific tasks and objectives. They stole the nuclear materials, disappeared again for 6 months, reappeared to create panic. There's definitely a larger game plan here, and it seems to be about destabilization. Considering the inspiration here is is a modern brand of terrorism, it is likely that the aim is public chaos and making people think of a message they're sending. Considering this is set in Japan though, that's probably the trickiest part in terms of logic. It's a pretty apathetic society in general when it comes to politics and ideologies.

Yeah, good points. I do find it interesting how quick the one guy was willing to kill that girl though. I'm assuming people died in their first attack? I guess that's not something we will know until the next episode (if they show news reports). But the way they were talking, it seemed like they expected people to die in there.

Not sure how quickly people could evacuate a building that big. I mean, I guess that doesn't negate the points you are making. However, the plot could take a different route tonally, if their attacks were only noise (aimed to disrupt Japanese society), and not actual violence (ie. death).

I was just answering Hosanna where the sympathy could come from. It's a touchy subject, so I'm just surprised to see it handled in such a way in a major Watanabe anime.

Jex

That building gets blown up all the time in anime, lol. Pretty much anytime anything happens in Tokyo, or even Japan.

Gorillaz

It's only one episode in so I could be wrong, they made it seem like it was definitely a message driven thing. Obviously a mix of destabilization and some sort of disruption plan. I think the thing that bugs me is that they brought the whole girl into the equation, which could work out as a sort of "falls into corruption" like storyline or a "I feel like I finally am free from BS like girls picking on me at school". That's the X factor to me, like I said it is only one episode so it doesn't mean much yet.

Branduil

I was just answering Hosanna where the sympathy could come from. It's a touchy subject, so I'm just surprised to see it handled in such a way in a major Watanabe anime.

Why would you be surprised? Terrorism was a theme in multiple Cowboy Bebop episodes as well as the movie.

Shergal

This is obviously a shoujo anime, the two guys are "bad" but they're also "omg so cool!".

But really, I don't actually expect it to devolve into some shitty love triangle or anything of the sort. This kind of trio is a staple for Watanabe and he never had problems handling it.

INPAQ

Neo Member
Just got finished from peeping the premiere of TIR and I personally loved it..

PROS
- Truly intriguing concept/plot
- Refreshing contemporary atmosphere
- Very thought provoking structure
- Smooth story pacing (thus far)
- Minimal fan service
- Lush animation and cinematography
- Brilliant soundtrack from Yoko Kanno
- One of the best OP/ED this season
- Easily the best Watanabe premiere since Samurai Champloo (IMO)

CONS
- Story may become to convoluted
- Lead characters have slight shojo cliches
- Disturbing subject matter, that may be too unsettling for some

Overall, I'm really hyped to see the progression of this series.

Oh and by the way, am I the only who's getting an eerie resemblance to the Boston Marathon Bombers with the design of Twelve and Nine...?

Untitled_1.jpg

JKTrix

I didn't think of the design being reminiscent, but this talk about sympathizing with terrorists did make me think of them and other terrorists/criminals who have been idolized.

Mononoke

Banned
I didn't think of the design being reminiscent, but this talk about sympathizing with terrorists did make me think of them and other terrorists/criminals who have been idolized.

Sympathizing with a terrorist (or any criminal for that matter) and idolizing them isn't really the same thing. You can feel bad for someone for having had a shit life. You can feel bad that someone went through something horrid which drove them to make a horrible decision. But that doesn't mean you excuse the action of what they did or say it was okay (they made the choice). I believe it's really important to understand WHY someone does something. For instance, I never understood why people were so against asking WHY 9/11 happened. Why did they attack us? What as their motivation? What was the leading action that led up to that day. What did they not like about our foreign policy that made us the enemy?

These are all very important questions. Even if you determine we were in the right and never did anything wrong, it's important to know why someone doesn't like you, so you can try to fix the problem (or deal with the problem before it hits you). I think people get in this defensive mode, and make the assumption that if you ask why, then you are giving the action validity, or automatically determining that they are the victim, and that you were wrong.

And hell, sometimes it is the actions of something we did wrong, that caused them to have motivation. That by no means justifies the terrorist attack. Or suddenly makes it okay. But you have to admit your own wrongs too, and stop it. Anyways, not to get too off topic with a rant. I feel the same way about this show. I'm waiting to see HOW the writers try to portray their actions and whether they try to justify it because of their backstory (I hope not). Understanding WHY they did it, is fine. But a terrorist attack is still a terrorist attack.

Just got finished from peeping the premiere of TIR and I personally loved it..

PROS
- Truly intriguing concept/plot
- Refreshing contemporary atmosphere
- Very thought provoking structure
- Smooth story pacing (thus far)
- Minimal fan service
- Lush animation and cinematography
- Brilliant soundtrack from Yoko Kanno
- One of the best OP/ED this season
- Easily the best Watanabe premiere since Samurai Champloo (IMO)

CONS
- Story may become to convoluted
- Lead characters have slight shojo cliches
- Disturbing subject matter, that may be too unsettling for some

Overall, I'm really hyped to see the progression of this series.

Oh and by the way, am I the only who's getting an eerie resemblance to the Boston Marathon Bombers with the design of Twelve and Nine...?

Untitled_1.jpg

This and your comparison pictures are ridiculous. Literally faulting a show for a problem you THINK might happen

Mononoke

Banned
neither look anything like the other two

The second one is kind of a dreamy pretty boy. I guess. But yeah, definitely feels like a stretch. I guess it depends on how the dynamics play out. I mean, the older brother like (9) is more stern and dedicated to what he's doing. 12 always drifts in and out, seems happy go lucky and almost seems like he just wants to hang out with others.

So I can see why people would draw the comparisons (as the tsarnaev were said to have the same kind of relationship). But they don't look anything alike. And again, these are pretty general personality traits.

Interesting Premise, Great first episode. Nine and twelve seem like interesting characters i'd love to see where this series goes. How many Episodes for this?

Also, i'm starting to think the writer for the show. Shoten Yano is someone well- known under a different name.

Hamlet

Zankyou no Terror 01

Strong first episode and definitely curious into finding out what their main motive/goal is
The score was pretty great for the episode especially during the Flashback sequence, plus I really loved the ED
The animation and cinematography are fantastic so far (really liked how the shot Mishima’s escape from the building)

INPAQ

Neo Member
This and your comparison pictures are ridiculous. Literally faulting a show for a problem you THINK might happen

Umm, let me clarify myself (or at least better rephrase what I stated). I believe they're slight similarities to the Boston Marathon Bombers and the lead male characters of TIR in a general context (both being young male brothers,with polar opposite personalities and who happen to be terrorist). Clearly Nine nor Twelve are complete carbon copies of any specific terrorist, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Boston Bombers weren't at least a minor influence within the development of this series. Yet with a plot revolving around the tragic reality of terrorism, its hard not compare the format of TIR to real life events/terrorist. Regardless, I apologize if I confused and/or offended anyone (I still adore the show though... thus far).

Seigyoku

I thought funimation put their content on hulu?

<notspeakingofficially>One week delay.</notspeakingofficially>

Is there a way to watch this without giving Funi money?

<notspeakingofficially>Not w/o giving them ad money at least. Or pirating. lol.</notspeakingofficially>

Poor taste? It's what the show is about. Why would it be erased? It's a real building in Japan, one of the most ironic government buildings in Tokyo.

TvUcqIf.jpg

Ooo, I can see my hotel in that shot!

BluWacky

I've only just had the chance to watch the first episode (I know, a whole DAY after it aired! That means it's gone from the zeitgeist!)

It's far too early for me to effectively comment on the characters and I'm not invested in them yet as a result outside perhaps of the desk-job detective who is the most intriguing of the lot of them. Nine's "angst" is a little too heavily telegraphed (albeit with a beautiful flashback) and Twelve's psychotic happiness will need more detail.

What I would say is that Risa is likely to "make or break" the show for me (well, her and Five, but she's not in the story yet). The reason I didn't care for Samurai Champloo was that Fuu was an adjunct to the main story (and a ditzy useless one at that in the episodes I saw). If Risa serves merely as a slightly wet "window" into the world of Sphinx then I will probably not enjoy the show much. I don't think that's going to be the case, but then I'm not sure what I would actually be interested to see from her as yet.

I can, however, remark on the expert crafting of both the pre-credits sequence and the entirety of the second half of the episode in particular. The sustained tension of the whole bombing sequence was down to the excellent pacing and structure; it kept the audience guessing at what exactly was happening and how, both on the human level (when Risa and Twelve meet on the stairway, for instance, or how Nine reacts), and on a more "physical" level. I loved the way the bombs worked, for instance - a straightforward bomb would be much more predictable but the chemical element seemed fascinating.

I wonder why the detective is working a desk job?

Anyway, I was very much looking forward to this and did enjoy the first ep a lot, although it didn't blow me away or anything (it lived up to my expectations, though, which is a good thing!).

Mature

I've only just had the chance to watch the first episode (I know, a whole DAY after it aired! That means it's gone from the zeitgeist!)

It's far too early for me to effectively comment on the characters and I'm not invested in them yet as a result outside perhaps of the desk-job detective who is the most intriguing of the lot of them. Nine's "angst" is a little too heavily telegraphed (albeit with a beautiful flashback) and Twelve's psychotic happiness will need more detail.

What I would say is that Risa is likely to "make or break" the show for me (well, her and Five, but she's not in the story yet). The reason I didn't care for Samurai Champloo was that Fuu was an adjunct to the main story (and a ditzy useless one at that in the episodes I saw). If Risa serves merely as a slightly wet "window" into the world of Sphinx then I will probably not enjoy the show much. I don't think that's going to be the case, but then I'm not sure what I would actually be interested to see from her as yet.

I can, however, remark on the expert crafting of both the pre-credits sequence and the entirety of the second half of the episode in particular. The sustained tension of the whole bombing sequence was down to the excellent pacing and structure; it kept the audience guessing at what exactly was happening and how, both on the human level (when Risa and Twelve meet on the stairway, for instance, or how Nine reacts), and on a more "physical" level. I loved the way the bombs worked, for instance - a straightforward bomb would be much more predictable but the chemical element seemed fascinating.

I wonder why the detective is working a desk job?

Anyway, I was very much looking forward to this and did enjoy the first ep a lot, although it didn't blow me away or anything (it lived up to my expectations, though, which is a good thing!).
iO7i69bDGar29.png

Completely agree with Shibasaki being the most interesting character in the cast. I'd love to see the show go in the direction of a sort of cat and mouse game between him and the kids. Great character design too.

Infinite

Only seen episode 1 but Shibasaki wasn't even a character yet. He had so few scenes. More interested in learning bout Risa and 12

BluWacky

Only seen episode 1 but Shibasaki wasn't even a character yet. He had so few scenes. More interested in learning bout Risa and 12

Ah, but in those scenes we see:

i) he obviously was once a detective but isn't any longer
ii) he pays attention to small details
iii) he's interested in logic and strategy (note him playing shogi against himself)
iv) he might like fishing (he's reading Tsuri Bakka Nishi instead of working!)

Risa is potentially interesting, as I mentioned before, but although I find Nine and Twelve plenty watchable they seem cut from a cloth we see fairly frequently and are presented as diametric opposites. One's ice cold, the other psychotically happy. I'm sure they'll be eminently watchable and have appropriately interesting backstories, but thus far Shibasaki's my fave :)

I will admit to having a bit of a "thing" about detective characters in shows which aren't necessarily about them, which might be colouring my judgement here. My favourite character in Darker Than Black, for instance, was Misaki.

Infinite

Ah, but in those scenes we see:

i) he obviously was once a detective but isn't any longer
ii) he pays attention to small details
iii) he's interested in logic and strategy (note him playing shogi against himself)
iv) he might like fishing (he's reading Tsuri Bakka Nishi instead of working!)

Risa is potentially interesting, as I mentioned before, but although I find Nine and Twelve plenty watchable they seem cut from a cloth we see fairly frequently and are presented as diametric opposites. One's ice cold, the other psychotically happy. I'm sure they'll be eminently watchable and have appropriately interesting backstories, but thus far Shibasaki's my fave :)

I will admit to having a bit of a "thing" about detective characters in shows which aren't necessarily about them, which might be colouring my judgement here. My favourite character in Darker Than Black, for instance, was Misaki.
I'm not sure we can say this yet but I see where you're coming. The way I look it is two characters who dealing with their apparent trauma in different ways.

duckroll

I think in terms of general characterizations, all the characters in the show are pretty representative of stock tropes. There's the serious stoic guy with glasses, the carefree but capable guy with messy hair, the awkward girl with family and social problems who gets taken out of her boring "normal" life by running into these two hot guys, the has-been detective looking for a chance to have a moment of glory again.

Nothing wrong with that though, since archetypes aren't good or bad on their own, it all depends on what the narrative does with them and how they are developed.

Infinite

I think in terms of general characterizations, all the characters in the show are pretty representative of stock tropes. There's the serious stoic guy with glasses, the carefree but capable guy with messy hair, the awkward girl with family and social problems who gets taken out of her boring "normal" life by running into these two hot guys, the has-been detective looking for a chance to have a moment of glory again.

Nothing wrong with that though, since archetypes aren't good or bad on their own, it all depends on what the narrative does with them and how they are developed.

oh i agree.

Mature

Haha, yes. We're on the same page.

Dynedom

One of the best damn OP's ever.

edit: wait wait wait. Hidetoshi Kaneko was a big part of the Lodoss OVA wasn't he? I am so hard right now. I mean, this show is visually stunning.

Mokoi

Banned
Terror in Tokyo 1

I have to say this has to be one of the best 1st episode of the season for me besides Barakamon's. I enjoyed everything about it so far.

It really seems like the opening heist was way to easy to pull off, and I assume we shall be getting more messages like this. I always find it kind of dumb to leave a calling card, but I get that they are trying draw attention it seems. The animation of the show is certainly top notch especially the little details. Not the best I've seen, but definitely really good.

The relationship between the two MCs really is simliar to Smile&Peco from ping pong. You have the more serious character with the playful partner to balance each others personalities out. I just really hope the girl was not added just to end up driving a wedge between both of them. That would be shitty writing to me because it happens way too often as a plot device.

Now onto their motives behind the terrorist attacks.
It is hinted that they were abused/manipulated at a early age, and in the attempt to escape from the institution they were being held at ended up losing others in the process. That seems to have really affected 9.
Obviously it seems like the audience is supposed to feel sympathetic towards their actions. Which are not justified even if no casualties result from them. However, it does make sense why are doing their little thing. More exposition is going to be needed which I'm sure will come later.

Overall this episode was really good. The music,pacing, and animation were just superb.

Also if someone asks me why I thought the heist was too easy.

It's not really puzzling that people find the heist really easy to pull off. Yeah I known they heist was extensively planned/prepared for. However, they could have shown more details in how it went down instead of
Just throw a grenade at the fence bust out of the truck with a sweet snowmobile.
Yes I know more things actually took place to place during it, but I like intricate details in my heists dammit!

The opening heist was still great, and if it was done how I wanted it then it would have ended up looking like shit anyways.

This is a weird show. I don't know what to make of it at all. I get slight Monster and Death Note vibes, but this doesn't seem as sleek as them yet. It could be, but having never seen Watanabe tackle a story like this, there's no telling how it will turn out. I do appreciate that the protagonists are
ruthless and evil
, but time will tell how far the show will take that.

jediyoshi

Man, if the crux of their motives are just making a statement against something like adulthood or an aspect of society, I'll be bummed.

LordCanti

I didn't know this show had a thread. I'm hoping that they've got an original take on the whole "kids from a facility" trope but everything else around that is promising enough at this point to make me hopeful that the show will deliver in one way or another. I might have to turn my brain off to avoid questions like "How will that video not lead to them getting caught, since they'll realize it was them, that they are school kids, and that there was a class on a field trip there that day?" but I'm willing to do that to some extent.

This was easily my most anticipated show of the season and episode one definitely got me hooked.

Man, if the crux of their motives are just making a statement against something like adulthood or an aspect of society, I'll be bummed.

I'm getting "Society is rotten; Look what they did to us in this facility!" vibes, but I'm hoping there's more. It seems like they'd get caught really quick based on what I wrote above, but maybe some sort of coverup will unfold because no one wants to take responsibility for the nuclear materials having been stolen or the fact that they're potentially from some sort of government lab. In other words, maybe they'll try to kill them instead of arresting them/giving them publicity, all while trying to keep them from doing it again.

Or maybe we'll get "Oh man who are these mysterious people in the video? No clues here. No way for us to figure out who this is" and my brain will drive me crazy.

duckroll

Episode 2

The entire opening sequence in the episode from the ground zero scene all the way to Lisa going home and locking herself in the room had really fantastic audio direction. The way they used the single musical piece to draw out the melancholic tone worked really well. In general the music has been really effective on the show, and really adds to the western TV style direction they're going for.

I'm liked how they developed the aftermath of the attack too, with the formation of the task force and so on. Could probably do with less of the characters talking on and on about a story I'm already familiar with as if none of them ever heard of it before though, but again that wouldn't really be out of place in something like Sherlock, so I guess that's where the influence comes in.

Things are going to get pretty fun now that the detective is back in the game. :)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Terror in Resonance Episode 2:

Right, this series has quickly become very frustrating to watch, in that I want to like this program and it is very expertly made but it just instills feeling of apathy because I do not give a shit about any of the leads. The actions of Nine and Twelve lack any real agency and motivation in their actions. They also lack in terrorist credibility for a few reasons. The girl feels tacked on and kind of swept up all in this because we need a love triangle. Most glaringly there is an abject lack of terror all things considered. Not dropping this, but I am already calling this program the second most overrated anime of Summer 2014.

Jex

Episode 2

This show feels like a genre exercise. A brilliantly executed genre exercise.

There's nothing wrong with that, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom