• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesco: Call of Duty: Ghosts uses a new engine

KageMaru

It's likely most, if not every, next Gen engine is derived from the current Gen equivalent. It makes sense for them to build off their current tech, which is a fine engine.

It'll be like last gen where CoD2 started off in line with / better than other games' graphics, but then the entire series just stayed there while everything else improved.

I don't know, the recent ones (MW3, Black Ops 2) look substantially better than COD2...

Daingurse

mj-laughing.gif

lol, we're dragging this corpse into the next generation! And you damn well know people will buy it!

iMax

I don't know, the recent ones (MW3, Black Ops 2) look substantially better than COD2...

Undoubtedly so. MW3 makes COD2 look like a previous-gen game, which (...and slightly OT) excites me, as whatever we see at E3 this year surely won't be an indication of what these systems will handle at their peak in the future.

Acheteedo

So this backs up the rumour from that youtube video that mentions CoD: ghosts. That also stated that this was next gen exclusive.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You don't say! I thought that the fact EA owned DICE will ensure that their prime time engine will power most of it's competition games. XD

You would be shocked how many people seriously make suggestions like "Why don't other publishers use MT Framework/Luminous/etc"...

Tagg9

Activision doesn't usually advertise that CoD games use a new engine, right? I don't remember that ever being a selling point for a CoD (expect for CoD4: MW).

I'm thinking this could be a greater evolution than people expect. IW 10.0 or bust.

Elixist

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and at least try it next gen. I sunk over 50 hours into Modern Warefare 3's multiplayer for Christ's sake. In retrospect, wtf was I doing? Game is like fucking crack.

50 hours in a multiplayer game? slow down bro :p

Toa TAK

Banned
New engine?

Dammit! Just when I was going to take a break from COD games, now I'm sucked back into it by this info alone.

Gav47

Black Ops 2 engine on PC has a DX11 renderer so I'd guess they'll be using an improved version of that.

FyreWulff

The fact that they put "next generation engine" might make it plausible. Afterall Activision has surely started working on a new engine years ago or at least licensed a new one. They know next gen consoles were coming so eventually they had to update the game from the ground up.

They are not going to let CoD fizzle out on current gen consoles or do some half assed next gen Quake 3 engine port. They need to stay infront of the competition that is gunning for them

They'll never be able to compete graphically with other developers as long as they continue to aim for a 60hz update if other devs aim for 30hz. On any hardware.

They just need to look like they're improving on themselves.

teokrazia

I accused the series to still use a technology based on id Tech III since when they talked about a "new engine" for CoD2, but in retrospect I'm glad they continued with it.
In this generation we've seen several new engines, nice stuff with nice features, wow, but when they come to the most important aspect (shoot at your enemy) some of them sucked pretty bad.

CoD has a simple but sharp and polished gameplay: the gunplay is everything.
The idea that it could be screwed because kids want to see walls collapsing is depressing.

BTW, I'm pretty curious about what will happen. :)

You all think there will be a new engine? I find it hard to believe since this is coming to current-gen consoles. They're not going to do anything to sacrifice 60FPS.

CoD will likely NEVER use a "new" base engine. They have been iterating on the Quake 3 engine for over 10 years now. I wholly expect their Next Gen engine will be what call of duty 2 was to Call of Duty 1. i.e. a full overhaul creating IWs third generation of the CoD engine (which will then be iterated on for the remainder of the generation)

Scrabble

Man I just love the cynicism and hypocrisy gaf displays when games actually are 60 frames. I thought 60 frames was so important gaf?, but "lol quake 3 engine" seems to be the only thing people can come up with.

I think that its just incredible that one man has dominated the shooter genre so wholly since its inception. John Carmack is literally the Henry Ford of FPSes

Top Bottom