• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla cracks $1000/share

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
C2rs17t.jpg

With this it has taken the #1 spot as most valuable auto maker in the world, beating Toyota, despite having a small fraction of Toyota's car sales volume.

Do you think Tesla will be able to massively disrupt the legacy automotive industry and become the next trillion dollar tech company? They're scaling up manufacturing across the world, dropping prices on most models, increasing range, and have sorted out a fairly robust lineup of models.

C2rs17t.jpg

With this it has taken the #1 spot as most valuable auto maker in the world, beating Toyota, despite having a small fraction of Toyota's car sales volume.

Do you think Tesla will be able to massively disrupt the legacy automotive industry and become the next trillion dollar tech company? They're scaling up manufacturing across the world, dropping prices on most models, increasing range, and have sorted out a fairly robust lineup of models.

Ten years. The amount of time tesla needs to go from fords lows in the late 90s to the good version of the ford focus. Ten years is enough time tonlower price raise reliability and hopefully make them look better.

keraj37

I hear from a very smart people that Tesla is a product of monetary policy, bailing out left and right and creating moral hazard in the markets.

That said if there was sound capitalism in the USA, TSLA would not exist at all.

And yeah, PE ratio is just insane - whoever is buying the stawks of TSLA is doing it not because of fundametlas, but because he knows the price is hyper inflated.

Last edited:

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I just bought a car last fall - it's wild to think that was probably the last gasoline car I'll ever buy. (I tend to keep my cars as long as reasonably possible. Last car had 200k+ miles)

Amory

their valuation seems insane to me based on where they are right now. It's hard to tell how much of it is propped up by day-trading millennials, and Musk tends to wipe out 15% of the stock price with one random tweet every now and then

i'd never own the stock. but I do think the company has a bright future.

I hear from a very smart people that Tesla is a product of monetary policy, bailing out left and right and creating moral hazard in the markets.

That said if there was sound capitalism in the USA, TSLA would not exist at all.

Tesla isn't so much a car company as a data one. Their vehicles are just a....vehicle, hah, to accrue driving information to improve their self-driving tech and AI, which they would most likely license out to other manufactures in the future.

-Arcadia-

Banned
To add something more serious, from a mainstream, don’t-know-jack-about-cars (so don’t take me too seriously on this) perspective, I feel like Tesla is the luxury brand right now.

People, in my experience, don’t talk about how much they want a high-end this and that, in the traditional brands, but talk about Teslas now instead. It kind of strikes me as the new dream car, and that seems like a very good position to be in for the future, if it can be kept up, and expanded on.

I just bought a car last fall - it's wild to think that was probably the last gasoline car I'll ever buy. (I tend to keep my cars as long as reasonably possible. Last car had 200k+ miles)

I've been driving a stick since my first car and it looks like that will change for me in the near future. :(

Not a fan of the styling on anything but the Cybertruck and the Roadster, personally. I know the sports car market is relatively tiny, but they should have something cool and realistically aspirational in the lineup at $50-75k. The Cybertruck is a good start though.
I'd rather they make something look like a Lincoln town car for the 50-70k market. Something regal about that design.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I've been driving a stick since my first car and it looks like that will change for me in the near future. :(

Unless you get a sports car. I can't imagine manual transmissions are going anywhere while an enthusiast crowd still exists.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Would love to see more Tesla cars around, owners obviously love them but whatever Tesla right now is 1000 a share.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Those smart people should tell that to the agriculture industry.

Grinchy

Banned
So great to see. I hope to see great optimizations in the battery technology for further distances and reductions in prices for the cars overall (as stated in the OP). The price of the self-driving software seems to keep going up though, unfortunately. I definitely want that if I buy one.

Hopefully this pushes all the other big car companies to make fully electric cars and drive prices down even further. But mostly I just want completely autonomous vehicles. Humans are too fucking stupid to be in charge of driving cars.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So great to see. I hope to see great optimizations in the battery technology for further distances and reductions in prices for the cars overall (as stated in the OP). The price of the self-driving software seems to keep going up though, unfortunately. I definitely want that if I buy one.

Hopefully this pushes all the other big car companies to make fully electric cars and drive prices down even further. But mostly I just want completely autonomous vehicles. Humans are too fucking stupid to be in charge of driving cars.

Model S just got a $5000 price drop and range extended to 402 miles, and other models had a 6% price cut:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Today I bought some retail fund shares that exposed me a bit more to Tesla and gave me a position on SpaceX. I have a decent chunk of my portfolio riding on Elon’s ability to innovate. I hope he continues succeeding.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I just can't imagine a scenario where I'd want a cybertruck given the limited range and what I want in a new truck (towing a camper long distances to remote locations). BUT, I'm highly curious about an AWD daily driver....I'll let them keep taking people's money until my needs and their offerings meet.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This doesn't make any sense to me. Feels highly overvalued.
I don’t go by valuations anymore. The world changed and the billions of dollars that were parked in investment vehicles which started shrinking down to zero had to move towards securities with a slimmer of a hope of return in the future. I believe in proper security analysis, but I am also aware that evaluation models for portfolio distribution need to adapt to the times.

Last edited:

Echelon

They still have a leg up in the EV race, mostly because the other American car makers are incompetent idiots, the Japanese are too conservative and cautious, and the Germans (up until recently) have been too greedy to invest in EVs. With the Germans being forced into the electric age kicking and screaming, Tesla's days of marketshare domination are numbered.

What I expect to happen over the next 5 years is that their marketshare will shrink, but their position in the market will remain as the cult of personality fashion-brand of EVs (a la Apple). The Germans will start stealing most of the luxury sales back, GM and Ford will stumble into some share of the pie, and the Japanese will finally decide it's time to spend money on batteries. The Koreans are a bit too scattershot right now to figure out.

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Grossly overvalued. I wouldn't even consider touching this until it was below $500. Probley wouldnt even buy till it was around $400. When the covid19 numbers spike huge in the fall and the bottom falls out of the market again Tesla will be one of its biggest victims.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you get a sports car. I can't imagine manual transmissions are going anywhere while an enthusiast crowd still exists.
Dude, manual semi trucks are getting phased out right now. 10 years from now the only manual cars made will be boutique sports cars that no normal person will be able to afford.

Edit - My next car will be a Tesla, I'm not even joking. That Cybertruck gets me hard in the pants.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Are all the Model S the same? Or do they redo their models like other car brands? Wont the S be an old piece of junk by now then?

If you're too cheap to buy shares of TSLA (I know I am) NIO which is reportedly the Chinese version of Tesla has been flying recently. They IPO'd a year or two ago I think at around $9 or $10 but then rumors of bankruptcy caused the share price to tank to around $1 and the crash in March also didn't help things either but they now have secured funding and apparently have the backing of the Chinese government. I'm up over 30% in the last few days but don't blame me if it's a pump and dump.

Actually I do own shares of TSLA but it's in a mutual fund. BPTRX has a 20% holding in TSLA and a 5% in SpaceX. High fee though at over 2%.

Last edited:
Top Bottom