• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla cracks $1000/share

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Maybe, but you invest in the hopes of a return on your investment. Tesla doesn't pay dividends, so what are people buying into Tesla right now realistically thinking its future valuation will be?

It’s a growth stock. People see it as the next FAANG tech giant with a potential trillion dollar market cap in 5-10 years. Whether that happens remains to be seen, but it hasn’t been smart to bet against Elon up to this point.

Look at this. https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/TSLA210319P00905000?p=TSLA210319P00905000 These are tesla puts for march next year at 905 and are offered for 136 dollar. Big investors expect for tesla to crash and burn and return to normality. The united states is now in a recession... i expect with corona wave 2 going to a depression.

Yeah and last summer we were around $200 a share. None of these guys have an answer for where Tesla is and they have no clue where it’s going to go. It could crash and burn or it could continue going up with the release of the semi and the cyber truck.

Look at this. https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/TSLA210319P00905000?p=TSLA210319P00905000 These are tesla puts for march next year at 905 and are offered for 136 dollar. Big investors expect for tesla to crash and burn and return to normality. The united states is now in a recession... i expect with corona wave 2 going to a depression.

Never bet against MEMEstocks. I think Shopify for example should have gone down to a few dollars a share a long time ago, unlike Tesla I have a hard time finding their "product" out in the wild, yet it only seems to go up.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
It’s a growth stock. People see it as the next FAANG tech giant with a potential trillion dollar market cap in 5-10 years. Whether that happens remains to be seen, but it hasn’t been smart to bet against Elon up to this point.
The issue I have is that it’s already priced like a FAANG stock, despite not having the bona fides of those companies. The current price mostly reflects Tesla’s future value.

The issue I have is that it’s already priced like a FAANG stock, despite not having the bona fides of those companies. The current price mostly reflects Tesla’s future value.

Errybody out here wants electric to work. The idea that it can or might, which Tesla shows it probably could, makes all the investors pepes hard. Their PEPES are hard bro!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Huh, well then.

rgBifa8.jpg

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
In 2016 I remember when I cancelled the services of my financial advisor after he suggested I quit this stock. He also wanted me to put more of my portfolio on an international fund which has seen almost negative growth since then. All the money flowing to the stock now could be coming from wealthy people who are finally getting sick of the financial analysts that lost them money in the past years.

Last edited:

Amory

Objectively speaking there's just no reason for Tesla to be this highly valued

It's like a meme in stock form. People are buying it because they hear about other people buying it.

It's not going to last.

HoodWinked

Objectively speaking there's just no reason for Tesla to be this highly valued

It's like a meme in stock form. People are buying it because they hear about other people buying it.

It's not going to last.

maybe, maybe not

tesla's market cap is 286.33B

compared to

toyota 204.1B
apple 1.66T
netflix 241.33B
disney 215.56B

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Every day this thread is like a dagger in my heart. I came within inches of buying some shares when it was at $380 but decided not to.

Amory

maybe, maybe not

tesla's market cap is 286.33B

compared to

toyota 204.1B
apple 1.66T
netflix 241.33B
disney 215.56B
Right, and those companies all make lots of money and already have a very large consumer base. Their value can be understood as some multiple of their earnings.

That's not to say stock price is always tied to current earnings, obviously it's not. But Tesla's meteoric rise in stock price appears to be tied to nothing right now, which is why there's a record $20 billion in short interest. A year ago you could have a share of Tesla for $300. Is it really a better or more promising company now than it was a year ago, by fivefold? Why?

Personally I'd never short or own TSLA because who the fuck knows what's gonna happen tomorrow. But if I had any shares I'd sure as fuck be cashing them in.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Pure insanity. Overvalued 3X.
Wish I'd bought a ticket for the crazy train last year though,
Oh well lots of other opportunities, like shorting TSLA when it it approaches $2000.

LoV

Banned
Tech stocks are in a bubble right now. All my notifications say all time high every day. I mean, I'm not complaining since I'm making money...

n0razi

It still going up boys! I sold some shares today but I honestly see it hitting $2k by the end of the week; lots of FOMO hype going on!

Every day this thread is like a dagger in my heart. I came within inches of buying some shares when it was at $380 but decided not to.

Next week people will say 'I wish I bought some last week lol'

Last edited:

BoingBus

Banned
I want to buy a Model 3 Performance with my TSLA earnings but if I wait maybe I can buy a house instead HNGGGG tough decisions.

HoodWinked

saw someone on wsb buy options for tsla @ 2000. must be a roller coaster for him at 1700 he was probably going nuts, now he's probably in despair.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Damn... I'm seeing 500 dollar puts for january at 5 cents or less.
Now I'm hoping it climbs again so I can buy some Tesla lotto tickets.

Edit, nevermind my mistake, browser hadn't updated and it was for next week. 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited by a moderator:

supernova8

Banned
Maybe, but you invest in the hopes of a return on your investment. Tesla doesn't pay dividends, so what are people buying into Tesla right now realistically thinking its future valuation will be?

I personally invest in whatever company is at the forefront of the future of an industry (existing or nascent). Electric and autonomous cars are relatively new and Tesla clearly has a massive advantage over other companies. Consider how much more experience in automotive the other gigantic players have and Tesla is still by far the best-selling electric car in the USA.

Also consider that (1) it's Elon Musk (2) Tesla is not only cars, it's solar power, power generators (3) Tesla essentially has free access to rocket scientists from SpaceX if deemed necessary by Elon Musk.

I got into the race a little late (bought at $1200-ish) but I'm in for the long-run and I don't expect Tesla to fail as a company. Governments all around the world have zero emission targets and yet there are very few automakers with a functional, affordable (ish) and stylish solution. Not sure about you but the non-Tesla options are fugly.

supernova8

Banned
Five for one stock split announced for August 28th.

Do you think it'll stimulate demand? Would've thought all the individuals who want to buy Tesla stock already have it (assuming they can buy part-shares with whatever platform they use). Kinda wished I'd temporarily sold at 1700. What a rollercoaster.

TrainedRage

Banned
Do you think it'll stimulate demand? Would've thought all the individuals who want to buy Tesla stock already have it (assuming they can buy part-shares with whatever platform they use). Kinda wished I'd temporarily sold at 1700. What a rollercoaster.
If this happens and the stock is 2k or less im in. I should have gone in during the drop in March but I went with IMF's. I told myself if it goes to 1,300$ I would be in but I will wait.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Maybe. It has in the case of other big tech stocks. After-hours Tesla is up 6% or so on the news.

Aha yes I'm up $400 right now, loving it. Will probably sell once it pops after the stock split and then buy again when it settles down.

I checked my E*TRADE earlier today and I have 42 shares purchased under $250 a share. 25 of those shares were purchased at $191 a share. It comes out to a nearly $57K profit. Never really expected this. I have around 120 shares but those ones are the big money makers.

partime

Aha yes I'm up $400 right now, loving it. Will probably sell once it pops after the stock split and then buy again when it settles down.

I've been in/out of the stock since $254, right before the initial skyrocket. I timed it quite well whenever selling / buying in at a lower price, and made some incredible money. I held too long though during the pandemic, but bought it back right before the skyrocket again. Recently I've just left it in though, TSLA has a mind of it's own. Figure the stock itself is enough of a drama queen, I'm tired of creating my own.

I've 4x'd the stock so far? I'm content with the projected growth moving forward.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So what's gonna happen Aug 31? Quick boom and slow down or steady?

If it drops, I doubt it'll be for long. Tesla Battery Day is coming up September 22, and they're rumored to announce million mile battery tech.

Reactions: LoV

supernova8

Banned
So what's gonna happen Aug 31? Quick boom and slow down or steady?

Should expect some added demand from individual investors who (1) couldn't buy because whatever platform/service they used didn't allow part-shares (and $1000+ was too much to swallow) or (2) don't even know what a stock split is and will buy it thinking they're getting a bargain. Don't underestimate the power of useful idiots :p

supernova8

Banned
I checked my E*TRADE earlier today and I have 42 shares purchased under $250 a share. 25 of those shares were purchased at $191 a share. It comes out to a nearly $57K profit. Never really expected this. I have around 120 shares but those ones are the big money makers.

That is a very handsome profit. Are you planning to cash out any time soon? The tax is a bit of a sting.

supernova8

Banned
I've been in/out of the stock since $254, right before the initial skyrocket. I timed it quite well whenever selling / buying in at a lower price, and made some incredible money. I held too long though during the pandemic, but bought it back right before the skyrocket again. Recently I've just left it in though, TSLA has a mind of it's own. Figure the stock itself is enough of a drama queen, I'm tired of creating my own.

I've 4x'd the stock so far? I'm content with the projected growth moving forward.

Yeah I wish I'd started the whole investing thing earlier. I only started this year but I'm $1500 up on my entire portfolio (of about $12k invested). I was going to buy into stuff like Boeing and Exxon that has gone down a lot but I'm not really sure when they'll come back up. Tesla is the sort of company where you can say "well it doesn't look like the competition is going to catch up anytime soon".

That is a very handsome profit. Are you planning to cash out any time soon? The tax is a bit of a sting.

Nah probably not. I just got $13K more for my bonus and I purchase ESPP again on the 31st. I have a lot of RSUs that have yet to vest and what I can cash out as of today is just below $100K. The idea was to keep it until I could put a down payment on a beach house. I never thought there’d be a chance it will just pay for the whole thing.

Top Bottom