• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla cracks $1000/share

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The run continues.

zU3rkBF.png

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Only worry is that he works himself into an early death. I cannot imagine even being an executive at Tesla and yet he's running Tesla AND SpaceX simultaneously.
He's a bigger personality than Steve Jobs ever was IMO, and I don't know if Tesla would be the same if something were to happen. He's gained a lot of weight over the years and isn't so young anymore. But then again, Trump seems to be doing OK.

Last edited:

n0razi

Trying very hard not to think about how much money that would be :messenger_loudly_crying:

Sold all my shares at 350 after it bounced off that resistance 3 times, then this bull run. I do hold ARKK at least.

I sold all mine around $350 and bought back double the amount at $800 lol

I miss Elon's stupid tweets... they were the perfect time to buy in.

Last edited:
I sold my Tesla stocks long ago, like a fool. I should have bet on Musk. He's one of the only people looking to build long-term, knowing he won't see the fruition of his work. Oh well, I guess. Congrats to everyone who's holding Tesla stock.

I sold my Tesla stocks long ago, like a fool. I should have bet on Musk. He's one of the only people looking to build long-term, knowing he won't see the fruition of his work. Oh well, I guess. Congrats to everyone who's holding Tesla stock.

it happens dude. A bunch of my coworkers did the same. It’s volatile. There’s really know way of knowing.

supernova8

Banned
it happens dude. A bunch of my coworkers did the same. It’s volatile. There’s really know way of knowing.

If we consider that a lot of countries have zero emissions target deadlines coming up in the next 10-20 years and Tesla's huge strides in solar energy (those mega pack farms are bonkers), the only way is up. There doesn't seem to be any other company doing what they're doing and progressing at the same speed.

In the same time it takes a copycat to do close to what Tesla is doing, Tesla will already be miles ahead but Tesla will have its own mammoth energy production infrastructure. I don't think anyone can compete with that.

n0razi

If we consider that a lot of countries have zero emissions target deadlines coming up in the next 10-20 years and Tesla's huge strides in solar energy (those mega pack farms are bonkers), the only way is up. There doesn't seem to be any other company doing what they're doing and progressing at the same speed.

In the same time it takes a copycat to do close to what Tesla is doing, Tesla will already be miles ahead but Tesla will have its own mammoth energy production infrastructure. I don't think anyone can compete with that.

Yup... this is the main reason I bought and hold TSLA. Everyone looks at the cars but its their battery tech and infrastructure that really adds value to the company.

Very good chance the stock spikes again for Battery Day (Sept 22)

Last edited:

partime

This is getting stupid. I've been making stupid money since the split announcement.

Seems the longer I stay in, the deeper the shit and volatility. Well, lets see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

supernova8

Banned
This is getting stupid. I've been making stupid money since the split announcement.

Seems the longer I stay in, the deeper the shit and volatility. Well, lets see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Same I bought in at 1200 and then bought more at 1800. Think I'm gonna sit on my stash for a bit now. Don't want to add more in case the post stock-split period doesn't render the fruit I'm hoping for.

Super Mario

Banned
It's amusing to try to watch people justify the price of this snake oil stock. Musk has no business being worth more than Buffet. However, those who did bet on Musk, bet right. I'll certainly be there for whatever he decides to do next. At this time, I'm out.

Tesseract

Banned
It's amusing to try to watch people justify the price of this snake oil stock. Musk has no business being worth more than Buffet. However, those who did bet on Musk, bet right. I'll certainly be there for whatever he decides to do next. At this time, I'm out.
that must be what powers his rockets

supernova8

Banned

Well yeah technically if we say the clean energy credit revenues go away in the next few years, they may drop back into making a loss. At this point it doesn't look like people care though. I've spent long enough seeing bear analysts shitting on Tesla and Tesla continuing to rocket (pun intended) to new highs. My girlfriend thought I was crazy when I went in balls deep at $1200, but looks like I made the right choice.

supernova8

Banned
Is it just market speculation driving these prices or are they really selling a ton during Covid? Hype for batter day?

Tech is definitely a safe haven during COVID. I'd expect once a vaccine is secured, pretty much all the tech stocks will recede a little bit. Tesla is like the epitome of a tech stock.

Tesla has increased 5x since March
Apple has increased 2x since March
AMD has increased 2x since March
Intel was on for 2.5x since March until the 7nm delay news fucked them
NVIDIA increased 2x since March
Google increased 1.5x since March
Amazon increased 2x since March

Although I reckon they will recede a bit, it may be that people are expecting the world will have been altered for good due to COVID.

supernova8

Banned
I'm kind of curious why? What benefit to society does Buffet bring?

Yeah I always thought the same. Buffett is just a guy in a suit who knows how to invest in businesses. He is just a living version of Benjamin Graham really.
Musk is a visionary. I don't think it's crazy to liken him to Steve Jobs but the difference is he's far more technical than Steve Jobs.

I remember watching that video about him discussing rocket science, and I was like fuuuck I need to invest in this guy.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member

during the dot com bubble he didn't buy into the hype, stayed true to his investment principles and didn't lose his shareholders billions of dollars when the bubble burst.

edit: just read two years before the bubble burst, his companys stock price was getting hit as tech stocks were getting hot, but then after the burst, his companys stock price started rising again as the tech stocks were cooling down or disappearing

Last edited:
Yeah I always thought the same. Buffett is just a guy in a suit who knows how to invest in businesses. He is just a living version of Benjamin Graham really.
Musk is a visionary. I don't think it's crazy to liken him to Steve Jobs but the difference is he's far more technical than Steve Jobs.

I remember watching that video about him discussing rocket science, and I was like fuuuck I need to invest in this guy.

Honestly Jobs doesn't deserve to be likened to Musk. Nothing Jobs or Apple created changed the world for the better, arguably their corporate practices of walled off gardens and outsourced factories were detrimental. They made some great products that were ahead of their time somewhat but the presentation and packaging is what most Apple fans really pay for. Again arguably many features are worse than competitors e.g. no direct file access or lack of third party support etc. On the flip side Musk doesn't set out to dominate a specific industry, he wants to seed industries and innovation through competition and breakthroughs once thought impossible. There's a massive difference to their modus operandi. Jobs wanted desperately to be rich and worshipped. Musk aims to actually change things for the better irrespective of wealth.

They both have their own heads up their asses but that goes with the territory of getting shit done. Jobs would force anyone to sit and be drilled by him incessantly about his way or the highway, Musk has a corporate mantra of "if you don't walk out of meeting where you have no business being there that's considered offence and reprehensible". Jobs would never had stood for someone walking out of a meeting he was running, purely on the appearance of it; it speaks volumes about their differences.

supernova8

Banned
Honestly Jobs doesn't deserve to be likened to Musk. Nothing Jobs or Apple created changed the world for the better, arguably their corporate practices of walled off gardens and outsourced factories were detrimental. They made some great products that were ahead of their time somewhat but the presentation and packaging is what most Apple fans really pay for. Again arguably many features are worse than competitors e.g. no direct file access or lack of third party support etc. On the flip side Musk doesn't set out to dominate a specific industry, he wants to seed industries and innovation through competition and breakthroughs once thought impossible. There's a massive difference to their modus operandi. Jobs wanted desperately to be rich and worshipped. Musk aims to actually change things for the better irrespective of wealth.

They both have their own heads up their asses but that goes with the territory of getting shit done. Jobs would force anyone to sit and be drilled by him incessantly about his way or the highway, Musk has a corporate mantra of "if you don't walk out of meeting where you have no business being there that's considered offence and reprehensible". Jobs would never had stood for someone walking out of a meeting he was running, purely on the appearance of it; it speaks volumes about their differences.

It's difficult to judge because while Jobs was in charge they were putting out ground-breaking products. Not necessarily in terms of specs but they were good at consolidating the "noise" of a wide variety of mediocre products (ie other companies) and making something more cohesive. It could just be that he was good at hiring the right people, but since Jobs passed away I get the feeling they've lost their magic. They're still a wildly successful company but the only thing we've really had that's new is the Apple Watch.

In that sense, Jobs must have been doing something right.

But yeah I agree that Apple has done very little other than drive up the average price of mobile phones. Tesla is driving down the price (or rather what you can get for the price) of electric autonomous cars, and that doesn't even touch on his work on SpaceX, the neurolink stuff or the underground hyperloop stuff.

Super Mario

Banned

For starters, the revenue Buffet's company brings is 10x more than Tesla. Buffet has also invested in countless other companies.

The best Musk has right now is hype behind his electric company. Look, don't get me wrong. He's a smart dude. May be one of the most influential people of the future. We just need to cool it on the stock based off of hype only.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Thought I’d post this here...
But I just saw a model Y for the first time today. It looks like a toy car. Barring the cyber truck, Tesla’s design language looks like it’s stuck about a decade in the past and badly needs a refresher.

Thought I’d post this here...
But I just saw a model Y for the first time today. It looks like a toy car. Barring the cyber truck, Tesla’s design language looks like it’s stuck about a decade in the past and badly needs a refresher.

Man I really disliked the look of the Y until we started getting them in for the first batch of deliveries. Now they’ve grown on me big time. I can see your side of it as well though.

My E*TRADE account has already shown the split but they didn’t update the price so my account is showing nearly $700K lol.
Same thing here (Fidelity)... they show the split but with the old price
Common error being reported on the Internet. Most brokers are affected, it seems that stock split is indeed very hard for brokers even though stocks have been splitting for a century at this point.

The best broker though is Robinhood, they are the only one where people are getting an error showing negative values instead!

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
It’s plausible that a lot of people take profits from this Tesla run on Monday, but if so I think it’ll rebound. The run could continue for all we know, too. They're both compelling long-term prospects though.

I'm kinda hoping TESLA does go down slightly. I got in at 1200 and then bought more at 1800 so looking for a chance to lower my dollar cost average.

Just finished reading the Musk biography and I'm kinda sold. I think he's more than Tony Stark. He's like Steve Jobs, Stephen Hawking and Stark all merged into one. I've never heard of a billionaire CEO who is able to have deep technical discussions with engineers across a wide range of disciplines. Zuckerberg is probably great with code but he's probably a little rusty everywhere else. Musk is apparently close to 'expert' on all sorts of shit like hardware, software, metallurgy, rocket science, AI, battery technology. It's kinda crazy.

I admit I was skeptical at first but he is really is a one in a lifetime sort of person.

Top Bottom