• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla cracks $1000/share

I'm kinda hoping TESLA does go down slightly. I got in at 1200 and then bought more at 1800 so looking for a chance to lower my dollar cost average.

Just finished reading the Musk biography and I'm kinda sold. I think he's more than Tony Stark. He's like Steve Jobs, Stephen Hawking and Stark all merged into one. I've never heard of a billionaire CEO who is able to have deep technical discussions with engineers across a wide range of disciplines. Zuckerberg is probably great with code but he's probably a little rusty everywhere else. Musk is apparently close to 'expert' on all sorts of shit like hardware, software, metallurgy, rocket science, AI, battery technology. It's kinda crazy.

I admit I was skeptical at first but he is really is a one in a lifetime sort of person.
Elon is nothing but a business man with brains....that's it

THAT'S FUCKING IT. HE'S NOT SOME 2xxx new Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
But that’s not true lol
Elon knows how to plan and market himself well. He knows the thriving businesses of the future and so he dedicated himself to have a step before anyone else.

He didn't invent anything out of the blue actually, we already had electric cars and brain implants since late 1990s

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Elon knows how to plan and market himself well. He knows the thriving businesses of the future and so he dedicated himself to have a step before anyone else.

He didn't invent anything out of the blue actually, we already had electric cars and brain implants since late 1990s

We had electric cars and space ships but nothing like what Tesla and SpaceX has become. Apple just repurposed what was already available but Musk's companies have done actual new things. Look at how SpaceX beat Boeing in the space race with a smaller budget.

HoodWinked

I don't know long term but I think the stock will go up on opening. I have a feeling that there are buy orders set to buy shares once the stock drops below a certain value and because of the split the price will be 1/5 of what it was. Splits happen all the time and I'm sure this is accounted for but just due to the trade volume on this stock I'm sure there are many that are going to make this mistake.

supernova8

Banned
So post stock split we're up 12% (as of writing) and it's only been an hour and a half since market open. Looks like we're on track to break the $500 mark in the first day. This is crazy.

In comparison post-split Apple is only (lol) up 4%

supernova8

Banned
I’m a little over $200K in total right now. I’ve been contemplating cashing out.

That is crazy. You could literally just buy a house with that. Honestly I get the feeling this is just the start for Tesla. Once they start posting profits I think the stock price will go bonkers again, and also that may be the green light for whatever Musk has planned next for Tesla.

Grinchy

Banned

So why wasn't all of this already done by someone else, then? It was so easy, but no one else felt like doing it? All it took was some venture capitalist to say, "Here's money! Go make electric cars and rockets! Wow, that was easy."

llien

So why wasn't all of this already done by someone else, then? I
He didn't start Tesla, though, just assumed over the management (the original thought was a very sporty car).

Not sure what you mean about someone else, EU market will be flooded with electric and hybrid vehicles starting end of this year (due to very tough emission requirements)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
JSYAh5a.png

:messenger_ghost::messenger_ghost::messenger_ghost:

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

You’re basically complaining that he didn’t come up with the base concepts. Like people who yell about how smartphones existed before the iPhone so Apple deserves no credit!

jadedm17

Question : Can we all agree we are deep into crazy here not actual fair market value for what Tesla has done to date? The hype is crazy.

I was wondering if GAFFERS had any advice or would share their short-term Tesla plans? Maybe long too?

Im also new to investing and believe they have significant growth yet to come in the next few years.

My current plan is most likely just throwing what i can and riding the wave to 2024 and beyond, but i cant help but feel at least a crash or two in the between then and now; When and how much is the question?
I could see rising until Battery Day in 3 weeks then falling if
when
Biden wins.

Question : Can we all agree we are deep into crazy here not actual fair market value for what Tesla has done to date? The hype is crazy.

I was wondering if GAFFERS had any advice or would share their short-term Tesla plans? Maybe long too?

Im also new to investing and believe they have significant growth yet to come in the next few years.

My current plan is most likely just throwing what i can and riding the wave to 2024 and beyond, but i cant help but feel at least a crash or two in the between then and now; When and how much is the question?
I could see rising until Battery Day in 3 weeks then falling if
when
Biden wins.

It has gone far beyond what I ever expected. I guess I would be bummed if it crashed but I’m not totally invested in Tesla. I have more money elsewhere and my townhouse is paid for.

Rat Rage

I've said it months ago... Once Tesla manages to get an afordable, good quality compact car out to market with resonably great range, it's gonna get bonkers. 5000 a share, easily.

Last edited:

partime

What a great, strange day. My gains are astronomical and after hours I've hit my 10x mark of the original purchase price of 254. There will be a correction no doubt.

I've timed the market a few times though, sold & rebought lower. Sometimes it didn't work out so well and I bought higher. (IRA none taxed account)

For me it's really not worth the effort, worry, and bitterness of the company doing better than expected with you being out waiting for the dip.

jadedm17

It has gone far beyond what I ever expected. I guess I would be bummed if it crashed but I’m not totally invested in Tesla. I have more money elsewhere and my townhouse is paid for.

I'm the opposite on investment and in unique and blessed position where I'll be betting large on Tesla for my future comfort.
I won't be betting more than I can lose and should it all crumble to dust I'll survive (house paid, no kids, single, simple life etc), but a significant portion of my energy will be Tesla.

My biggest question is just what others think or plan in the next 3, 6 or 12 months because it seems all reason and rationale is out the window and we're just riding hype. Which is fun but feels like this coaster has some twists ahead.

Obama supported Tesla, if that’s any indicator. I’d be more concerned about fossil fuel stocks than clean energy ones if Biden wins.

My biggest concern now would be taxation if/when I ever cash out; The concern I've heard over a Biden victory are his plans to tax every transaction among other stock market taxes and general ideas to tax the rich that would effect stocks and investment potential. That first part is something like 5% every time money moves, or $50 for every $1000.
Again I've just started a whole 21 days ago, just from what I understand a Biden victory could lead to a more volatile market.

For me it's really not worth the effort, worry, and bitterness of the company doing better than expected with you being out waiting for the dip.

Exactly, the energy to try and save short term feels wasted for long-term potential; As I'm working ~12 hours a week now I've used a SIGNIFICANT portion of my free time studying Tesla and I have little doubt on its eventual potential still going 3x or more its current value. That said it seems very clear we're far far past its current value so some twists seems likely : When and how much? That's the question.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
My biggest concern now would be taxation if/when I ever cash out; The concern I've heard over a Biden victory are his plans to tax every transaction among other stock market taxes and general ideas to tax the rich that would effect stocks and investment potential. That first part is something like 5% every time money moves, or $50 for every $1000.
Again I've just started a whole 21 days ago, just from what I understand a Biden victory could lead to a more volatile market.

That would destroy the economy, and I wouldn't expect anything that drastic to happen, but who knows with the way this year is going.

I'm the opposite on investment and in unique and blessed position where I'll be betting large on Tesla for my future comfort.
I won't be betting more than I can lose and should it all crumble to dust I'll survive (house paid, no kids, single, simple life etc), but a significant portion of my energy will be Tesla.

My biggest question is just what others think or plan in the next 3, 6 or 12 months because it seems all reason and rationale is out the window and we're just riding hype. Which is fun but feels like this coaster has some twists ahead.

Exactly, the energy to try and save short term feels wasted for long-term potential; As I'm working ~12 hours a week now I've used a SIGNIFICANT portion of my free time studying Tesla and I have little doubt on its eventual potential still going 3x or more its current value. That said it seems very clear we're far far past its current value so some twists seems likely : When and how much? That's the question.

I work for the company so I’ll be investing regardless.

supernova8

Banned
Buy more tomorrow or Apple 💁

Apple's movements have been pretty boring. I'd for Tesla if you had to pick one. Or you could go for AMD, they were up 6% yesterday.
I work for the company so I’ll be investing regardless.

Nice. I watched a video last night about a guy saying the customer service for Tesla solar panel division is outstanding, best customer service he's experienced in his life. It sounds like everyone who works for Tesla loves it.

llien

P/E 1,18 K

1 buck of earnings at Tesla costs $1180. Insanity.
For comparison, Intel's P/E is.... $9.
Nvidia - around 90
AMD - around 180
(for the confused: the lower the better)

P/E 1,18 K

1 buck of earnings at Tesla costs $1180. Insanity.
For comparison, Intel's P/E is.... $9.
Nvidia - around 90
AMD - around 180
(for the confused: the lower the better)

People who trade on fundamentals or understand anything about it are a rarity these days. Didn't they tell you? Technical analysis, fears of hyper inflation in asset prices driven by the fed, a belief that stocks only go up, and a lack of safe investments that beat inflation drive the market.

Personally I view tesla as a meme stock. Meme stocks trade erratically in ways that are particularly unpredictable. We might say 5 years from now it was a steal at 500 a share, or we might say a few years from now that a child should have seen that top coming a mile away. Only time will tell.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
It hit a low of $372 today, now back up to $408 as of right now.

Is it time to jump in or will it go lower?

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Battery day is coming. Not sure what it will do for the stock though but it could be crazy.

Yeah I'm topping up regardless of battery day. As I've said before Tesla clearly has an unbeatable advantage and when electric + autonomous car demand blows up (ie when it gets cheap enough that Joe Bloggs can afford one) Tesla will be right at the front.

It was $330!

I wouldn't buy anything with a PE ratio over 30 or so, much less Tesla's 1000 PE ratio. People have to ask the question, how successful would TSLA have to be for this to make sense. I saw an interview with an analyst that said if TSLA does everything they've promised and more it won't even come close to justifying that valuation.

I have no idea what's going to happen with the stock, people have gotten rich and cashed out at points that I wouldn't have bought. Maybe somehow it's still a good idea to buy TSLA but I don't see any numbers that justify that. It looks to me like the FOMO of the century.

LoV

Banned
I wouldn't buy anything with a PE ratio over 30 or so, much less Tesla's 1000 PE ratio. People have to ask the question, how successful would TSLA have to be for this to make sense. I saw an interview with an analyst that said if TSLA does everything they've promised and more it won't even come close to justifying that valuation.

I have no idea what's going to happen with the stock, people have gotten rich and cashed out at points that I wouldn't have bought. Maybe somehow it's still a good idea to buy TSLA but I don't see any numbers that justify that. It looks to me like the FOMO of the century.

The market is all speculation, I don't view PE ratios personally especially when it comes to tech stocks.

If anything, Tesla's future with electric cars and Musk's other endeavors will propel it. Not to mention that Tesla's will become even cheaper to produce and better battery and tech built in and firmware updates.

(1) AMZN hit a PE of 1000 twice, in 2013 and 2015. The SP in 2013 was $300 and in 2015 was $500. Today it is over $3,000.
(2) NVDA hit a PE of 50 twice, in 2011 and 2018. The SP in 2011 was $22 and in 2018 was $244. Today it is over $500.
(3) PE is a trailing indicator and growth stocks are focused on future valuation, not past valuation.
(4) Most of the people who got rich from TSLA have held the stock for many years, some since IPO. A few got rich playing options recently r/wallstreetbets style but most are not these people.
(5) It's better to be rich than it is to be smart. It's also better to be rich than it is to be right. Being smart and right doesn't buy you Lambos, or Tesla Roadsters. Being rich does.

Any recommendations on an app for international share trading from Australia (Aussie bank account, Android phone). I usually have my share investments through my company but I want to start a new personal position for Tesla prior to battery day. I had a look at https://www.selfwealth.com.au and low brokerage fees of flat rate $9.95 per trade. This seems to suit my speculative account setup I want at the moment. Any other recommendations out there?

EDIT: Eh, looks like SelfWealth is ASX only. Just called my bank and had them open a personal investment account too for now, $19.95 per trade but it will do for a couple of quick investments.

Last edited:

TheContact

My friend let me drive his dual motor model Y. It wasn’t a performance model but these things are just nutty. You have to adjust the way you drive because the thing just rockets and you don’t realize how fast the acceleration is. Another thing to get used to was not having to use the brake; if you take your foot off the pedal the car comes to a relatively abrupt stop. His car had the self driving option too which is cool, but my car has adaptive cruise control and lane assist so I was somewhat used to hands free driving though autopilot is on a whole different level. I’m a minimalist and the cockpit is just that which made me love it even more. He also said the buying experience was incredible because there isn’t the typical haggle experience; you just order it, they call you when it’s ready and in 10 minutes the plates are switched and you’re good to go. I don’t think there’s been another game changing experience in my life since the original iPhone came out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I decided to dump my shares. There's no way this valuation is justified. A P/E ratio of over 1,000 is insane for an industry in which you can't expect extreme growth. Of course, I say this to justify my selling out. I imagine the shares will keep climbing and I may end up kicking myself down the road, but oh well, made a few hundreds bucks.

With that said, I'd probably jump right back in if dipped down near $300.

I decided to dump my shares. There's no way this valuation is justified. A P/E ratio of over 1,000 is insane for an industry in which you can't expect extreme growth. Of course, I say this to justify my selling out. I imagine the shares will keep climbing and I may end up kicking myself down the road, but oh well, made a few hundreds bucks.

Tesla isn’t just automotive though. Solar is doing decent and you have to remember, they own all the infrastructure. The charging stations etc. It’s much more of a tech company than an automotive company.

n0razi

If its only a few hundred bucks why cash out?

Top Bottom