• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TESV: Skyrim New Info from Power Unlimited [Up: Tons Of New Details In OP]

Rapstah

Reading up on archery mods for Oblivion, the one they mention in the article might be "Duke Patrick's SCA Combat Archery Mod". Haven't tried it yet.

EDIT: Uh, no, apparently it's updated and is now called Combat Archery Mod.

Xenon

timetokill said:
It's funny that the "HD" console fans can't get that they're basically the Wii to the PC players. It's been over 5 years since Xbox 360 came out, guys.

PC games have always been built around the ability to scale performance so this isn't exactly the same thing. If anything, PC players should be thanking the console folks for making Bethesda have to pass at least some sort of certification process before releasing their games.

Binabik15 said:
If they fix animations, AI, phyisics and their human "faces" I´ll get this day one.

Is this seriously so important that you wouldn't play the game?

It really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.

ajim

day fucking 1.

i'm actually shocked, completely fuicking shocked that the dragons won't be rare. i had this bad feeling that 'yes, we finally got dragons, after they've been mentioned in the lore for so long, but, i bet they'll screw us over and we'd see only a couple throughout the main story'.

i really hope they're not rare <3

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
CrocMother said:

When those things are as bad as they are in Oblivion, it is. I want to be immersed in a believable fantasy world, not have freakish humans running into walls and jumping animations that look like a peg-legged meerkat trying to do a shit in mid air. Oblivion was still fun, but it was janky as hell. Better animations and AI would improve the whole thing considerably.

Lakitu

st5fu
Much of the information sounds good to me. I'm hyped.

I'm actually glad there are less dungeons than Oblivion, 130 as opposed to Oblivion's 220. That means there can be more variety within those dungeons and better crafted with better loot as well.

Skyrim is also going to be in Gamer Reactor magazine:
82.jpg

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Solo said:
While this personally is PERFECT for me (because I love to explore and find a random dungeon which is challenging but not impossible), I can already see this being exploited to hell (level 1 players hitting up every dungeon in the world ASAP).
Isn't this how Fallout 3 worked?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
EviLore said:
If Skyrim were coming out on Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii, would you proudly say that the games were visually identical on all three platforms except for resolution on 360/PS3? No, of course not, if you wanted to sell unit 1 on the hardcore systems. We're talking 2005 hardware vs 2011 hardware now. Give me an experience optimized for each platform, not a terribly gimped uniform experience.
It's useless to expect these kind of things these days, you'll only set yourself up for disappointment safe for some rare examples.

Lakitu

st5fu
Some pretty tasty information from this thread: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1163088-skyrim-french-coverage-summary/

Courtesy of ca.tchoup who was kind enough to summarise it:

-dynamic shadows
-if a weapon and a shield or two weapons are equiped, you cannot cast any spell (quite logical indeed)
-it seems that smithing can only be done in forges (you cannot repair your equipment everywhere like in morrowind or oblivion)
-incredible level of detail such as : blood vessels on skin, modelling, animations, clothings (not sure what "clothing" means here))
-meteorological effects : clouds are gathering in real time around mountain peaks (sounds pretty cool), snow affects textures (so again pretty much confirmed that this isn't 3d accumulating snow but I'm fine with that anyway).
-a major inspiration for snowy landscapes seems to be artists like Brom and Frazetta.
-Matthew Carofano (artistic director of Skyrim) : Dwemer ruins (we know that already) and a Dunmer city!!! (yeah you heard me : Dunmer :celebration: ) ;
-again from M. Carifano : "after Oblivion where every place looked alike, in Skyrim you'll find once agin the excentricity of Vvardenfell. Here every Nord Clan has its own colors, its own identity."
-For consoles : the "block" action is performed by pressing both trigger buttons at the same time. Each separatly correspond to the action of what you equipped in one hand or the other.
-80 spells among which some are entirely new (the journalist might have picked a rounded off number since I remember GI said 85 or so?)
-spells confirmed : Detect Life, Fury (force ennemies to fight between them), Circle of Protection (hurl ennemies outside a magic circle), Snow trap (triggers only when an ennemy walks on it), Lightnings, Fireballs.
-Concerning finishing moves we'll see stuffs like : Axe blade planted in the neck, dagger in the chest.
-Concerning skills : Athletics (they surely meant Acrobatics) doesn't exist anymore (to prevent the player boosting this only by jumping on stand)
-AI : NPCs have day and night activities like cooking and brushing the ground in front of their houses.
-dialogues : most "inimportant" NPC like simple villagers won't have any dialogue tree (instead they'll directly comment on rumors or on what they're doing) ; only important NPCs will actually exchange dialogue with you, you CAN cut short the dialogue simply by walking away.
-Every city and town is bound to some particular resources meaning if you burn their mill or mine, you affect their economy and they'll be forced to buy flour or mineral somewhere else and when you'll want to buy these resources here again it will be more expensive. (good thing for evil characters :) and maybe desctructible environnement?)
-the Dragon Shout key on PS3 is R3 (don't ask me more since I'm a PC player)
-archery : when aiming at something, you can hold your breath (consuming stamina) and the action is slowed.
-Dark Brotherhood mentionned as might be in (the reason beeing that the devs had a lot of fun developping it in Oblivion)
-Dragons can be unpredictible in their behaviour, they will fly in the air, crawl on the land, they can crash when wounded.
-On the favorite menu: "Cliking on a key, the screen freeze and a list of weapons or 'favorite' spells is shown next to each hand".
-Todd Howard Interview :
-"a cause-consequence tree for each mission",
-each mission will be a bit different from the same mission played by another player who has done other quests. Also can be different depending on which mission you did before.
-If you meet a Giant on the road he might totally not attack you unless you attack him.
-it seems he says that when most NPCs give you a quest, they'll give you precise directions or accompany you to the road showing you which direction to take to go on on you quest.
-the player should be excited when discovering a new place, or overhearing rumors spoken by NPCs between them.
-the testers mark the most beautiful landscape, so they should have things like temples, stuff that will entice the player to go and check by himself.
-in Oblivion there was only 1 guy working on the dungeons, this time for Skyrim, 8 devs are working on them.
-120 dungeons (again might be another round off number, cause we already heard 130+)
-Speaking of jobs : woodcutting, weaponsmithing, sells stuffs you made to the forge or to the mill...
-he insists on the importance of activities they thought apparently useless before Skyrim, but they found that was surprinsingly important for immersion after implementing them into Skyrim.

Thanks for the new info!

Not sure I like that constraint on repairing items. I guess it's more realistic, but it was sweet being able to repair items on the fly.

X26

Banned
this is probably going to sound pretty stupid, but is the entire world of skyrim going to be covered in snow?

Zeliard

X26 said:
this is probably going to sound pretty stupid, but is the entire world of skyrim going to be covered in snow?

Presumably. It's the northern chunk of the continent and the Nords in Elder Scrolls myth have some crazy resistance against cold, don't they? Chilly and snowy are what I assume will dominate the Skyrim setting.

Fitz

A lot of the things mentioned in that list seem really overambitious, I can just see the NPC's either stirring a pot all day, or raking the same patch of garden for hours on end. I really hope they pull all these things off.

Seanspeed said:
I like that.

It would be wiser to increase the casting time. Having to unequip yourself just to cast a spell would be annoying. A longer casting time means you can prepare for a battle, but once in you have to rely on other methods if you're using both hands.

Zeliard

Colkate said:
A lot of the things mentioned in that list seem really overambitious, I can just see the NPC's either stirring a pot all day, or raking the same patch of garden for hours on end. I really hope they pull all these things off.

Yeah, that's my worry as well. A lot of the stuff prior to Oblivion's release sounded overly ambitious as well, like pretty much everything surrounding Radiant A.I.

And we all know how that turned out. Or rather, didn't turn out.

Seanspeed

Banned
Maleficence said:
It would be wiser to increase the casting time. Having to unequip yourself just to cast a spell would be annoying. A longer casting time means you can prepare for a battle, but once in you have to rely on other methods if you're using both hands.
Thats the sacrifice, though. If you're playing a warrior or something(in which case you'd have both hands occupied with shield and whatever), casting magic will be more of a burden. It should give more incentive to play a certain playstyle rather than everybody becoming a jack-of-all-trades character. And besides, hotkeyed, it shouldn't be that bad anyways.

I dont know. More than one way to skin a cat, I guess.

Also, the entire world WONT be covered in snow. Pics of the game prove it.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
-120 dungeons (again might be another round off number, cause we already heard 130+)

Are dungeons/caves/ruins going to be more unique this time around?

Colkate said:
I can't see playing a Paladin style character being very easy with that combat system.

-if a weapon and a shield or two weapons are equiped, you cannot cast any spell (quite logical indeed)

Ya that sort of sucks as I wanted to play a cleric/paladin type class.

C4Lukins

This may have been answered, but is it a blacked out map when the game begins, or can you see the whole world on your map from the getgo? Basically is it more Oblivion or Morrowind when it comes to the map?

X26

Banned
thought I read something in another thread about hotkeying an entire setup, so you could go for example from sword+shield to shield+bare hand pretty fast and easy

if that's the case then playing certain hybrid styles shouldn't be too difficult

Darkgran

Lakitu said:
Much of the information sounds good to me. I'm hyped.

I'm actually glad there are less dungeons than Oblivion, 130 as opposed to Oblivion's 220. That means there can be more variety within those dungeons and better crafted with better loot as well.

I really hope this is the case. As much as I love Oblivion the dungeons were kinda lackluster.

I would really love some dungeons that would open up into a bigger area.

neoism

DennisK4 said:
"Someone modded Oblivion by changing the physics of shooting an arrow. It made you shoot slower and you almost had to remain stationary to shoot, which increased the arrow's impact. We liked this mod so much, that we implemented it in Skyrim by default."
:D :D :D... I used nothing but daggers and bows.... STEALTH All the way... I can't fucking wait for this game.. :O

Zeliard

"We liked this mod so much, that we implemented it in Skyrim by default."

I hope they followed this design philosophy through with several things!

ZeroRay

Dunmer city, huh?

I was hoping they might put Blacklight in since it's so close to Skyrim. The rest of the stuff is also cool, especially the more varied locations.

Lakitu said:
-in Oblivion there was only 1 guy working on the dungeons, this time for Skyrim, 8 devs are working on them.

Not true. I remember the PR for Oblivion, with them saying how each person had their own idea of what a dungeon should be like, so they'd all have a unique touch, there was certainly more than only one person making dungeons for Oblivion.

It's good to take everything Bethesda says about upcoming TES games with a huge grain of salt, IMO they exaggerate/stretch the truth more than is typical.

neoism

EviLore said:
This quote bugs me:

If Skyrim were coming out on Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii, would you proudly say that the games were visually identical on all three platforms except for resolution on 360/PS3? No, of course not, if you wanted to sell unit 1 on the hardcore systems. We're talking 2005 hardware vs 2011 hardware now. Give me an experience optimized for each platform, not a terribly gimped uniform experience.

They said "85+ different spells" in the last game informer article. We of course don't know yet if that's "10 fire damage over 1 second" and "20 fire damage over 5 seconds" or actual different effects.
yeah its bull... Will still have to mod the shit out of this game. To make it look amazing.
Death Dealer said:
Not true. I remember the PR for Oblivion, with them saying how each person had their own idea of what a dungeon should be like, so they'd all have a unique touch, there was certainly more than only one person making dungeons for Oblivion.

It's good to take everything Bethesda says about upcoming TES games with a huge grain of salt, IMO they exaggerate/stretch the truth more than is typical.
Yes but at least more devs are working on dungeons than O... They didn't even get boring for me, until about 60 hours in... The fact that their are only 120 to 220 is a good thing also. Less is more... I hope.

If they're good, 120 is plenty. I doubt I cleared more than half of Oblivion's. Although the themes didn't have much variety, crumbling fort, abandoned mine, ayleid ruin, I didn't have a big problem with the actual design of Oblivion's dungeons, most did feel somewhat unique despite the copy & pasted art assets, it was the way the monsters and loot were populated (scaling) that made exploring get boring faster than it should. Hopefully they learned a lesson.

I hope to see more "flagship", "set-piece", one-off dungeons in Skyrim.

Death Dealer said:
If they're good, 120 is plenty. I doubt I cleared more than half of Oblivion's. Although the themes didn't have much variety, crumbling fort, abandoned mine, ayleid ruin, I didn't have a big problem with the actual design of Oblivion's dungeons, most did feel somewhat unique despite the copy & pasted art assets, it was the way the monsters and loot were populated (scaling) that made exploring get boring faster than it should. Hopefully they learned a lesson.

I hope to see more "flagship", "set-piece", one-off dungeons in Skyrim.

The scaling will really make or break the game for me. But, I didn't really notice it in Fallout 3 and supposedly it is more like that, with the levels of the dungeons being set the first time you go there. Really hoping they learned their lesson. And hopefully there is a substantial amount of loot that is not randomly generated/scaled. I remember exploring the islands of northern Vvardenfell on a whim and coming out with the Vampiric ring. That was awesome.

Loxley

I'm really digging the Conan-esque Nordic designs that are apparent in the concept art, definitely helps gives some extra visual identity to Skyrim and might keep it from simply looking like generic fantasy.

soldat7

Death Dealer said:

Well, it sure felt like one dude made all the dungeons lol.

-If you meet a Giant on the road he might totally not attack you unless you attack him.

Sounds awesome. Tired of everything attacking me all the time whilst wandering around.

Gorgon

Branduil said:
What kind of messed-up definition of "low fantasy" are they using?

Nowadays "low fantasy" is the new fashion. Skyrim will be as low fantasy as Dragon Age is dark fantasy.

Lakitu said:
-again from M. Carifano : "after Oblivion where every place looked alike, in Skyrim you'll find once agin the excentricity of Vvardenfell. Here every Nord Clan has its own colors, its own identity."

Definitely like this. And bring back feuding clans, like the Great Houses in Morrowind? Hated that I could join every clan/guild/brotherhood in Oblivion with no consequences to the others.

Mad_Ban

Lakitu said:
-Matthew Carofano (artistic director of Skyrim) : Dwemer ruins (we know that already) and a Dunmer city!!! (yeah you heard me : Dunmer :celebration: ) ;
I want to see the Dwemer damnit! Seeing their ash and the obese one in Morrowind forever piqued my interest in them.

Rez said:
Isn't this how Fallout 3 worked?
Well not for me. I got my ass kicked to wandering too far away from early mission areas in FO3. In morrowind (less so in Obliv) It felt like even if I was too weak, there was always a way for me to 'glitch' me way through. Hide, get the mobs stuck on a rock, or just climb inclined wall. It always felt like more of a failure of QA than a failure of design.

lakitu said:
-it seems he says that when most NPCs give you a quest, they'll give you precise directions or accompany you to the road showing you which direction to take to go on on you quest.

Anyone else not like the precise directions? I have fond memories of having a note from an NPC in Morrowind that was like "go NW at the splintered rock" or something. Loved exploring and looking for landmarks

Akai

CrocMother said:
Anyone else not like the precise directions? I have fond memories of having a note from an NPC in Morrowind that was like "go NW at the splintered rock" or something. Loved exploring and looking for landmarks

I think that really depends. If they've gotten rid of the map target markers I don't mind this at all...

Besides, what you describe sounds a bit like what they are going for anyway...

Binabik15

CrocMother said:
Is this seriously so important that you wouldn't play the game?

[Snarky]My life and my free time isn´t important in the grand scheme of things, either, but I´d still prefer to be able to decide for myself what constitutes a dealbreaker.[/Snarky]

MrToughPants said:
Ya that sort of sucks as I wanted to play a cleric/paladin type class.

You could still presumably equip a weapon in one hand and use magic with the other. Which sounds very logical and like a great compromise.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Binabik15 said:
[Snarky]My life and my free time isn´t important in the grand scheme of things, either, but I´d still prefer to be able to decide for myself what constitutes a dealbreaker.[/Snarky]

...and then argue about it on the interwebz.

*high five*

Top Bottom