• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TESV: Skyrim New Info from Power Unlimited [Up: Tons Of New Details In OP]

-if a weapon and a shield or two weapons are equiped, you cannot cast any spell (quite logical indeed)

What about a sword and staff, like Gandalf? Is that logical too? :eek:

Lakitu

st5fu
Once again the nice people from Bethesda's community have got more info. This time from OXM UK -- Courtesy of RazorUK:

The cover story of March's OXM (Official Xbox Magazine) UK is Skyrim. There are 10 pages about Skyrim with an additional interview with Todd Howard, Bruce Nesmith (with the help of Matt Carofano). The article covers all the key points such as combat, Radiant Story, skills and the world. For an eager fan who has read the forums and other magazines such as gameinformer, there isn't a great deal of brand new information about key features of the game but it is an excellent preview and I highly recommend it.

I'll try to keep this topic brief and mention things I haven't read elsewhere.

Info

-There is a perk that will lower the sound of your footsteps.
-Perk for Axe that enables deeper cuts, which means prolonged bleeding. You can hit someone once and they will eventually bleed out.
-Eventual perk upgrade for Maces that will allow you to hit for full damage, ignoring armor stats.
-The article mentions placing runes on the floor (that we know already) but in particular talks about 'lob a frost rune down and if an enemy wanders over it, shards of ice will be launched through its body'
-Telekinesis is an available spell.
-'No more agility to build up so don't have to keep jumping around to level up' (I assume they mean no longer skills like acrobatics and athletes but they use the word agility)
-When you kill a dragon you're able to absorb its soul which will make you learn a new dragon shout.
-There is a dragon shout called 'Unrelenting Force' which pushes anything standing directly in front of you backwards.
-Dragon shouts have cooldown periods after each shout performed. Individual shouts will have their own cooldown time.
-In the northern parts of Solitude is the Bard's College. The city is a busy port and there's event similar to bonfire night that has the burning of an effigy of King Olaf.
-Windhelm is the largest city. It has a palace that should look spectacular. This is also apparently the hangout for the Imperial Guards who monitor the path to Morrowind.
-Bleak Falls Barrows is a dungeon, with ancient Nord catacombs which features rivers, tree roots coming through the ceiling and light coming through odd cracks.
-120 Dungeons and they claim that 'no two areas will be alike'.
-Just to re-confirm this fact straight from Todd Howard. Oblivion had 1 dungeon designer with artists doing the rest. Skyrim has 8 dungeon designers.
-Whole world is hand-crafted. Oblivion had some generated landscapes and there is NONE of that anymore used in Skyrim.
-The Shivering isles expansion inspired the team that unique, hand-crafted cities, where no two buildings look the same, was the way to go.
-Example of a 'Radiant Story'. OXM UK recieved a quest to go to Bleak Falls Barrow and retrieve a golden dragon claw antique and take it back to shopkeeper Lucan. If you killed Lucan, the quest would change to his friend Camilla instead.
-The Snow. Has been a lot of confusion about this. OXM UK says that snowfall is dynamic. Instead of a texture with a bit of white added, landscapes realistically get dusted with snow landing in appropiate nooks and crannies.
-There are one-off puzzles in certain dungeons.
-Example of new AI: 'Wolves have a den. Few times a day they go out and do a patrol and hunt in a pack. If they kill something then they'll hang out there. If you go outside and they're on patrol they will come after you. If they've killed something they will guard that and not chase you down as they want to look after it..

Confirmed Skills
Alchemy
Illusion
Conjuration
Destruction
Restoration
Alteration
Enchanting

New Screenshots
Page 31 - We see a dragon on top of snow covered ruins. There is a huge backdrop behind it showing off mountains, new clouds and fog. Draw distance looks great.
Page 34 - There is a picture of the skyrim worldmap which lists the locations listed above. On 2nd look they've used the same map as the one on the UESP wiki, so it may be outdated.
Page 38 - A player appears to be wearing Elven armor and dualwielding a sword and staff. The staff is able to cast light along a corrider. (Was in gameinformer but bigger shot here and addition info)
Page 39 - 2 new screenshots here, we see a hooded stealth character performing a stealth execution (Assassin's Creed style, blade to the chest up close). We see a new dungeon called the 'Hall of Stories' which features a locked door and a puzzle to open it. Stonework looks fantastic with spider webbing across the walls.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1165346-oxm-uk-new-info-screens/

thefil

Everything I hear makes me excited. I really dislike that people condemn Bethesda for being "over-ambitious". I'd rather they aim for 3x as much as other games and achieve 50% than limit themselves to what they've done before.

In an era when many console series are reducing freedoms and limiting the plot/story/progression of their game to linearity, we shouldn't talk down the people who still envision a game that evolves around the player to feel different to each of us.

Lakitu

st5fu
Somnid said:
New info, new thread. I just happened to click on this, others won't be so lucky.

Feel free to post one anybody, hopefully more people can see it. My internet is limited so it could drop off anytime, so I can't post it myself.

The information that pleases me the most is the dungeons, they sound great and are different from the traditional stuff we got in Oblivion. Cave... then Ayleid Ruin... then similar cave.

No two areas are the same. Makes me happy.

And the landscape is all hand-crafted. Give it to me now Bethesda.

Dennis

Banned
Somnid said:
New info, new thread. I just happened to click on this, others won't be so lucky.
Thats true but at some point we seemed to generate a huge number of Skyrim threads so it was getting a bit much.

Edit: I opdated the OP.

I hope the character creation is better. Oblivions characters all looked pretty similar.

Now they need to make it more console friendly and add a cover mechanic. So I can shoot magic and arrows safely.

JoeBoy101

ExtraKr1spy said:
I hope the character creation is better. Oblivions characters all looked pretty similar.

Not sure about the creator, but the one screenshot with a waitress in the tavern has the characters look leagues better than Fallout, much less Oblivion.

ExtraKr1spy said:
Now they need to make it more console friendly and add a cover mechanic. So I can shoot magic and arrows safely.

Shut your whore mouth.

Canova

Banned
ExtraKr1spy said:

yeah I want them to improve 3rd person view battle mechanic

If they pull off radiant story it will give the player an enhanced sense of freedom.

No more stressing over killing a random NPC and losing a quest

Ledsen said:
If you actually have a PC capable of playing the game, it's not really a choice at all.
It's hard for me to decide whether the 360 will run the game better than my PC. I wish I was at home so I could post my specs but I don't know them offhand.

BitchTits

New?

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...scrolls-v-skyrim-screens-arrive-are-gorgeous/

screenshot_246005.jpg

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm just hoping that it will not be riddled with glitches and bugs.

Oh who am I kidding. It's not possible with a Bethesda game, isn't it? :\

Izayoi

Banned
Laughing Banana said:
I'm just hoping that it will not be riddled with glitches and bugs.

Oh who am I kidding. It's not possible with a Bethesda game, isn't it? :\
That's what the PC version is for!

thefil said:
Everything I hear makes me excited. I really dislike that people condemn Bethesda for being "over-ambitious". I'd rather they aim for 3x as much as other games and achieve 50% than limit themselves to what they've done before.

In an era when many console series are reducing freedoms and limiting the plot/story/progression of their game to linearity, we shouldn't talk down the people who still envision a game that evolves around the player to feel different to each of us.
Totally agree with you. I'd much rather see ambition from them instead if more than the same.

The more I hear about this the more excited I am. Absolutely loved Morrowind and Oblivion was a lot of fun, the expansion packs were great too. Skyrim has a lot to live up to but looks set to deliver so far.

Dennis

Banned
industrialfan225 said:
Sounds disappointing. Graphics look sucky, same size as Oblivion, PC version straight port as always, more dumbing down, etc.
Really? I think it looks like a big step up from Oblivion going on the info released so far.

Top Bottom