• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tetris 99 is great!

choodi

Banned
aMalIFm7lGWVGvk_s-4MwVKvlzOTGyG3.png

Didn't see a thread on this so I thought I would make one as I am really enjoying playing this right now.

For those who don't know, Tetris 99 is a "battle royale" Tetris game where you and 98 other players compete to be the last one standing in a Tetris deathmatch.

It was a surprise release from the February Nintendo Direct and is available for free exclusive to Nintendo Switch Online subscribers.

It's pretty barebones right now, but apparently some dataminers have found indications that there are going to be other game modes in the future.

7kimTJTFJQf0Ohb2_jjt0oKVJ22VSgga.jpg

My best place finish is 3rd. It gets really intense when you get down to the last 10 and the pieces are coming down at a high rate of knots.

petran79

Banned
Problem is waiting to find 100 online players and then wait on queue for a match.
Cultris II is also a nice and free-to-play alternative and also counts your block drop speed

choodi

Banned
Problem is waiting to find 100 online players and then wait on queue for a match.
Cultris II is also a nice and free-to-play alternative and also counts your block drop speed

I've never had to wait for more than a couple of minutes to start a match.
Why does it look like a NES game?
It's Tetris?

I mean, who really gives a shit what it looks like?

ROMhack

How long do games go on for? I could go for like 20-30 minutes on a good day in the last Tetris game I played (the one on PS3). A really underrated game that.

Last edited:

choodi

Banned
How long do games go on for? I could go for like 20-30 minutes on a good day in the last Tetris game I played (the one on PS3). A really underrated game that.
Depends on how good you are. Most games will be over in a couple of minutes, but if you are consistently getting in the top 10 they can go for up to 5 minutes or so. It is insanely intense towards the end of a round.

angelic

Banned
I'd have downloaded it instantly if it wasnt for Nintendos shitty pay online service. I already resent paying for PSN via cd keys discount, I don't sub to live or gamepass, so it's just not happening. It's gonna be hard to find games in a few months too, that queue will be huge, so I feel it's a flash in the pan as well.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Fun as all hell. Best I've done is 19th, sometimes I just get 10 lines of junk dumped on me at once and I'm not sure what I can do about it. My strategy so far is target for KOs unless 2+ people are me, then I target attackers. Is there a better way to prioritise that stuff?

Last edited:

DonF

My girlfriend loves puzzle games, she was instantly addicted and gets to top 10 most of the matches. Has won 1 time. She is already level 34 and takes the switch to bed. I got to play a lot of apex this weekend. Thanks Nintendo!

choodi

Banned
Fun as all hell. Best I've done is 19th, sometimes I just get 10 lines of junk dumped on me at once and I'm not sure what I can do about it. My strategy so far is target for KOs unless 2+ people are me, then I target attackers. Is there a better way to prioritise that stuff?
I have been switching between random and attackers. I don't know if one is better than the other. My only real complaint about the game is a complete lack of instructions.

Meted

Don't use the pro controller as it has a very sensitive d pad, causing you to accidentally press up when moving around (making the piece drop instantly). Use the joy cons as the directional buttons don't have this issue

Vlaphor

My main issue is that if a bunch of people gang up on you at once, there's nothing you can really do about it other than hope it doesn't happen on your next match. At least in other Battle Royale games, you have a chance to get away under your own skill.

DonF

My main issue is that if a bunch of people gang up on you at once, there's nothing you can really do about it other than hope it doesn't happen on your next match. At least in other Battle Royale games, you have a chance to get away under your own skill.

So, I had to look this up. The attack function(Right stick) works as follows:
Random: self explanatory
Attackers: Retaliate attacks
Badges: goes for the player that has most KOs
KO: Goes for players close to death.

So if you got attacked a lot it could be bad luck (random) you doing awesome (badges) you being close to death (KO) or you doing so good that you attack a lot of players and they choose to counter attack (Attackers). There is some strategy involved, but we played like 10 levels using just random.

Last edited:

baphomet

If you've played well you should easily be able to get away in Tetris with your own skills. Have you been getting KOs since they increase your overall power?

LordRaptor

I'd have downloaded it instantly if it wasnt for Nintendos shitty pay online service. I already resent paying for PSN via cd keys discount, I don't sub to live or gamepass, so it's just not happening. It's gonna be hard to find games in a few months too, that queue will be huge, so I feel it's a flash in the pan as well.

P2P online fees are bullshit, but at least Nintendos are cheap.
If you really feel that way, just pretend you're buying the game for $4, the cost of one month online.

zenspider

Really? i've never waited more than 30 seconds, and apparently CPU bots will fill a match after 99 seconds.

angelic

Banned
P2P online fees are bullshit, but at least Nintendos are cheap.
If you really feel that way, just pretend you're buying the game for $4, the cost of one month online.

You're absolutely right, I could pay £7 for 3 months, £18 for a year. It's time though..it's competing against Red Dead that I need to start, RE2 and EDF5 that are currently still being played, Rocket League etc. Sorry to boringly list what im playing, but add them to 30 years worth of backlog I need to play (Dead Space 2, Dishonored 2, Yoshis Island, Nier 1, etc etc x a horrible amount).....I just don't want to add another subscription to my life.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I recommend fans of Tetris 99 pick up Puyo Puyo Tetris, put three other butts on your couch, and watch the sparks fly.

That said, I would be lying if I claimed I wasn't a bit jealous. I don't have an interest in Ninty's online offerings but this is how you get people to subscribe and to stay subscribed. Seems like a fun game to play while the online community is there. Lots of frantic action. Justin Wong was playing it the other day and that dude knows his puzzle games (in addition to fighting games, of course).

Learn your t-spins!

You're absolutely right, I could pay £7 for 3 months, £18 for a year. It's time though..it's competing against Red Dead that I need to start, RE2 and EDF5 that are currently still being played, Rocket League etc. Sorry to boringly list what im playing, but add them to 30 years worth of backlog I need to play (Dead Space 2, Dishonored 2, Yoshis Island, Nier 1, etc etc x a horrible amount).....I just don't want to add another subscription to my life.
You should visit us over here if you haven't already.

Last edited:

Rodolink

I just realized this version is developed by Arika, now I want to get it, I thought it was based on the mobile version made by EA since it has a similar online multiplayer mode. But Arika and their Grand Master's series are best, now I need a Switch.

LordRaptor

you're missing my point, I'm not saying you should subscribe for a year because its comparatively cheap.
I'm saying its cheap enough and it comes free with a sub anyway, that if you're concerned it won't have a healthy population down the line, that you can literally get a one off 1 month sub for a couple of quid and treat it like a rental or throwing a few quid into an arcade machine to play it now then forget about it.

e:
shit, theres a week free trial if you haven't used one already you could use.
A one off 1 month sub is tree-fiddy

Last edited:

angelic

Banned
you're missing my point, I'm not saying you should subscribe for a year because its comparatively cheap.
I'm saying its cheap enough and it comes free with a sub anyway, that if you're concerned it won't have a healthy population down the line, that you can literally get a one off 1 month sub for a couple of quid and treat it like a rental or throwing a few quid into an arcade machine to play it now then forget about it.

e:
shit, theres a week free trial if you haven't used one already you could use.
A one off 1 month sub is tree-fiddy

Im not missing your point, I agree with it. At the same time, paying £3.50 for 1 month feels dumb, why dont I pay £6.99 for 3 months. Then actually..7 quid, I might as well pay an extra ten for the year. Then BAM, I'm enrolled to another service.

I've played maybe 2 hours of Tetris total in my gaming career, never got heavy into the game. But I've been playing this a lot when it came out and I'm having a blast. At first I was pretty terrible but now I'm consistently finishing in the top 20 (unless I get paired against a shark early in the match) and have finished second 5 times now. Still looking for that elusive win!

Matchmaking is super quick too, usually in a game within 30 seconds. Don't know about others experiences but games fill up quick here on the east coast

pimentel1

Banned

I’ve got to 6th place once, a lot of times in the 10-20th place range and my strategy is as follows:

1. Don’t spend time targeting. Use that time to complete lines

2. 4 line Tetris’s are nice, but put more emphasis on just clearing the screen, even if it means doing more 1 and 2 line completions.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Yeah, I don't really want all that crap on my screen when I am trying to get in the zone. Give me a nice, clean and simple interface over that anyday.

Off topic: I was in love with the Tetris Effect trailer. I was 100% certain I would love the game. Then I tried the demo and noped right out. An early level overlays triangles on your board. Made it very difficult to just play Tetris.

On topic: This game seems really smart, with some cool mechanics like targeting and badges for KOs that increase your garbage power. It makes me actually want to pay for Nintendo Online.

Kagero

It's good! Forces you to play very aggressively. It has that, " Just one more game" appeal. So far my best is 6th, but I don't see myself doing any better then that. My brain don't move that fast.

Grinchy

Banned
I need to try again with the Pro controller. I only played 4 or 5 matches in portable mode. The Joycons really suck for this IMO. I imagine the Pro controller's dpad fares better. I did get 4th in one of my games and my level 2 ass was taking out level 20s.

Just won my first match!!! To anyone saying they can't do it, as I said a few posts up I played very little Tetris over the last 3 decades for whatever reason and with a total playtime of 8:26:34 seconds, I won a BR.

Trust me, just practice and you'll see major improvements hour to hour :)

Acerac

Banned
Why does it look like a NES game?
I'd imagine it is because a lot of people would prefer a simpler interface over paying money for the game. The fact that it's available to anyone who subs to switch online means a lot more people will try this game out leading to a more sustainable playerbase.

If this game was 20 bucks or more I'd be skeptical of how long they could keep finding so many heads to fill up rooms. Coming included with any switch subscription I'd be shocked if it takes more than a minute or two to find a match a year from now.

SALMORE

loving the game , it's so addictive 😁 the targeting system is a little bit confusing but it gives the game some deepth & strategy

the highest place i got is 14

#Phonepunk#

Banned
this game is so amazing. my friend came over yesterday and he never heard of this and i was like "you have to try this". he made it to No. 6 right away, then we played for like an hour straight, trading off turns. this game is so addictive & "one more game". ive only ever cracked the top 40 but it's damn fun to play. this might be my favorite battle royale ever.

we came up with some good strategies, mostly revolving around spinning the pieces. as long as you keep spinning those pieces, the game slows down the descent, and it buys you time to think. you can think of it as a slow motion button. it can even help you stave off dying and bump you up a few more spots!

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

Also in case people are not aware, up until 11:59 PM PT March 10th you'll be able to win $9.99 in gold points

https://nintendoeverything.com/tetr...ounced-chance-to-win-my-nintendo-gold-points/
Nintendo has announced a new event for Tetris 99. Later this week, the game will be hosting the Maximus Cup Online event.

While live, the goal will be to win first place as many times as you can. The top 999 players with the most Tetris Maximus wins will be notified, and will each receive 999 My Nintendo Gold Points. Players will be able to see Tetris Maximus on the results screen when they take the top spot.

The Tetris 99 Maximus Cup Online event will take place between 5 AM PT on March 8 to 11:59 PM PT on March 10.[Quote/]

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’m loving it to, addictive as hell. Highest I’ve gotten is 7th, but since the tournaments started, I am getting destroyed.

Top Bottom