• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tetris 99 is great!

pimentel1

Banned
I’m loving it to, addictive as hell. Highest I’ve gotten is 7th, but since the tournaments started, I am getting destroyed.

I got 7th yesterday. Kept having button misfires with my joycon. Gonna pull out and play with nes gamepad today.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
got into the 20s last night. i think a lot of it is the luck of the draw. even if you are playing great, if someone dumps a bunch of junk on you, it can end you real fast. on the other side, you may randomly just not get sent stuff until late in the game.

what is everyone's preferred method of targeting? i'm thinking Random is the best because then you aren't drawing so much attention to yourself. all my best runs have been w Random. if you switch to Attack or KO or Badges then the people also after those things start attacking. tbh im not entirely sure what these all do, so leaving it at Random is easiest.

GOTY for me so far. i used to load up Level 9 of NES Tetris with friends and we'd start from there seeing how long i could last. this is that but perfected. i like how matches only last a minute or two. soooo addicting.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
just think of how many people played Tetris. it has to be one of the most played games of all time at this point. Nintendo's NES and Gameboy versions alone were huge. i know so many people that went through a "Tetris phase" where they played it non stop for a while. so yeah there is some skill there!

tbh it's the best idea for a battle royale ever. it's not like FPS where some people are using a M+K and some people analog stick. being super fast with buttons isn't exactly going to help you here. everyone is sort of on the same skill level. then there are the random elements, like who throws stuff to you, and of course, the various pieces you get. it's elegant game design.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
just think of how many people played Tetris. it has to be one of the most played games of all time at this point. Nintendo's NES and Gameboy versions alone were huge. i know so many people that went through a "Tetris phase" where they played it non stop for a while. so yeah there is some skill there!

tbh it's the best idea for a battle royale ever. everyone is sort of on the same skill level. it's not like FPS where some people are using a M+K and some people analog stick. then there are the random elements, like who throws stuff to you, and of course, the various pieces you get. it's elegant game design.
What you're describing is the general thrust of pretty much all Vs Puzzle games: very simple gameplay with only a few twists, and let the players' speed and spacial reasoning handle the rest.

I'd love it if more people got into these kinds of games. Tetris 99 is barely scratching the surface of what's out there.

hymanator

I'm playing with a pro controller after opening it up and doing the "d-pad fix". You basically just put some scotch tape on the inner 1/4 of the metal contacts, which helps prevent accidental input.

I've been starting to win matches more frequently after figuring out a working strategy. I find that combos are more effective than anything else. I also mostly target "attackers", which is good for keeping the pressure off. If you target "badges", I noticed they will often counter attack and hit you back with a vengeance. I personally think attacking randoms is a waste and going for KO's can be risky, because you will draw attention to yourself if you build up KO's too quickly.

I've been hooked on this game. Here is a clip of one of my most gut-wrenching victories so far:

Chittagong

Gold Member
63cbc238-21d8-475d-ancknt.jpeg

Ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
As an outsider looking in, I'm wondering if the game has remained popular or if it was a flash in the pan.
I play it at least every 2 or 3 days and I’m still getting a full game of 99 players within seconds. I’ve never had to wait longer than max 30 seconds. So, it still seems to be popular. I think this popularity will last a while because it is simple Tetris with competitive multiplayer. Can’t go wrong.

But, like others have said, hard as balls now though. I got 5th spot the other day and I was shocked.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Glad to hear the game is still going strong. You folks learning any new Tetris tricks? Any T-spin experts in the room? Or do people go for combos?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I still haven’t delved too deep and I can do alright. I don’t really know what a T-spin is, lol. I do have a strategy with changing from attacking randoms to knockouts to attackers depending on what I’m doing.

Put it this way. Before Tetris 99 I’d regularly play the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo and do really badly. Post Tetris 99, I play it and I kick arse. So, it’s made me a better Tetris player overall.

Last edited:

Shifty

I don’t really know what a T-spin is
This is a T-spin:

efff5a9520be8e9643fe12af4f78a691.png

It's the act of twisting a T into place, essentially. Tetris games often treat it as a special scoring condition and award more points.

You can also do crazy shit like this on account of how the spinning is calculated behind the scenes:

9ea94961d299742a55968ee25cf08b6d.png

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
This is a T-spin:

efff5a9520be8e9643fe12af4f78a691.png

It's the act of twisting a T into place, essentially. Tetris games often treat it as a special scoring condition and award more points.

You can also do crazy shit like this on account of how the spinning is calculated behind the scenes:

9ea94961d299742a55968ee25cf08b6d.png
How is that last one possible?!

Shifty

How is that last one possible?!
You slot it in there and hit rotate, and the tetris gods bless you with a miracle.
I think it's a facet of the 'wall kick' algorithm the game uses to stop pieces from clipping into stuff when they shouldn't. Different versions of the game go about it in distinct ways, so it doesn't work in the older games.

Once you get the hang of it you can start pulling off really silly stuff, like this:

The screen shake kinda obscures the ending, but you send one T in for a double line clear, and that makes space to send in another one (stored in the 'hold piece' slot) for a triple line clear. They call it a "DT Cannon".

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
You slot it in there and hit rotate, and the tetris gods bless you with a miracle.
I think it's a facet of the 'wall kick' algorithm the game uses to stop pieces from clipping into stuff when they shouldn't. Different versions of the game go about it in distinct ways, so it doesn't work in the older games.

Once you get the hang of it you can start pulling off really silly stuff, like this:

The screen shake kinda obscures the ending, but you send one T in for a double line clear, and that makes space to send in another one for a triple line clear. They call it a "DT Cannon".

I realise I know nothing about Tetris now, lol.

It’s sobering.

Shifty

I realise I know nothing about Tetris now, lol.

It’s sobering.
It is somewhat, but good fundamentals will carry you a long way. For all my setup practice on Puyo Puyo Tetris, a mate of mine who's played various versions of it casually all his life still soundly thashes me in versus mode.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
There is a new tournament coming up (17/5/19-20/5/19) and you can permanently unlock the original Gameboy Tetris theme if you score enough points!!

Wonko_C

Yeah, I don't really want all that crap on my screen when I am trying to get in the zone. Give me a nice, clean and simple interface over that anyday.

I found out I play Tetris a lot better in VR than on TV. I admit it's not for everyone, though. I just find it lets me relax, zone out and laser-focus all at the same time somehow, while being surrounded by the visuals. (I love the Dolphin level)

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I'm actually disappointed to see DLC for this game. I actually (foolishly) believed this game was created for the sole purpose of adding much needed value to Nintendo's paid online service. Now, it feels like it will move to just another F2P game with DLC and perhaps eventually other microtransactions.

Still, the game is fun for what it is.

Last edited:
It’s a nice way to spend 30 minutes competing against everyone else. I consider getting into the top 25 a successful session for me. Very challenging. There’s a guy on Twitch who wins 90% of the time. A True Wizard!

Porcile

On a good day I could get into the Top 10 comfortably 75% of the time. Only managed three 1st place finishes though.

hymanator

The new gameboy theme makes things much less stressful for me. The music seems much less frantic when you get to the final 10. Another thing that helped me a great deal was that I practiced a lot on Tetris Effect (by doing the random challenge modes). Those games seem to complement each other perfectly.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Pardon the double post, but there is an interesting interview about Tetris 99.

The combination of Tetris and Battle Royale is a novel idea, so could you tell us a little about how that idea came about?

Nakada:
The planning started in April 2018. In our company the development team meets once a week to discuss new ideas for games. That ended up being the inspiration for this one. We sometimes talked in those meetings about how popular the Battle Royale genre had become, but I think someone also said it was about time we made another Tetris game. At that time those two ideas instantly came together and we thought a Battle Royale Tetris game would be really fun.

I see. So rather than an attempt to make a Battle Royale game it was more the case of an evolution for the Tetris genre. What was your initial impression?

Nakada:
Basically, I thought that since I wanted to play that type of game I also wanted to make that type of game. At that time I already had this idea floating around in my head of one game panel being the focus on the screen, but with the screens of other players being lined up beside.

A lot more at the link:

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
I'd have downloaded it instantly if it wasnt for Nintendos shitty pay online service. I already resent paying for PSN via cd keys discount, I don't sub to live or gamepass, so it's just not happening. It's gonna be hard to find games in a few months too, that queue will be huge, so I feel it's a flash in the pan as well.

This post aged so bad. LOL

A year later, i'm still playing it every day and it's still easy to find 100 players.

The Tetris community on Switch is huge, all the pro players are still playing Tetris 99 and even Puyo Puyo Tetris still has a decent following after 2 years.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken

A year later, i'm still playing it every day and it's still easy to find 100 players.

The Tetris community on Switch is huge, all the pro players are still playing Tetris 99 and even Puyo Puyo Tetris still has a decent following after 2 years.
Yeah, it takes a maximum of 30-40 seconds to get a fully populated game of 100 people every single time. There’s tons of people playing. It’s the greatest thing ever.

Airola

Because tetris effect raised the bar.

I'll gladly walk under the bar then.

Why everything has to become this shaky flashy explody nonsense? Like, of all games TETRIS had to go for that too. Tetris is the last game that needs any of that, yet here we are. And now people are asking for new Tetris games to either meet that expectation or go even further, raising the bar once again.

angelic

Banned

Im glad im wrong, sounds pretty good then.

Top Bottom