• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tetris Effect Connected and the next level of bullshit exclusivity!

Aion002

WARNING: This not a thread to bash MS. Just the practices.

So today was announced a new version of Tetris Effect, it's called Connected.

According to the makers:

Introducing Tetris Effect: Connected. The ultimate version of the original TE, plus all-new co-op and competitive online & local multiplayer modes. Coming to Game Pass, Xbox Series X, Xbox One (Smart Delivery) and Windows 10 PC.

Exclusive to Xbox and Windows 10 PC... Right?

Yeah... Nope... The makers also said:

Already own Tetris Effect? The multiplayer expansion will be available as a free update for ALL other versions of Tetris Effect (PS4, Epic Games Store, Oculus Quest) in summer 2021.

So yeah... MS paid for a temporary exclusive FREE UPDATE!

New low? What's next? Temporary exclusivity bug fix updates?

Last edited:

Agent X

Really? Damnn that doesn't make sense!

According to Enhance, this was done for "contractual reasons", and not related to the announcement of the game for Microsoft's platforms.

I hope that they're being truthful, but the timing seems like one heck of a coincidence.

The real litmus test will be whether the versions for Xbox One and Xbox Series X support Xcloud streaming. If they do, then that's a sure sign something's rotten in Denmark...or Redmond, as the case may be.

Sony paid to have exclusive content locked away from Xbox for good in a lot of games so I'm not shocked Microsoft is firing back.

Um, Remote Play was previously available in the PS4 version of Tetris Effect, up until a few days ago, when the ability was removed from the game. We're not talking about delaying a patch or feature addition, but rather taking a previously available feature and eliminating it.

Aion002

According to Enhance, this was done for "contractual reasons", and not related to the announcement of the game for Microsoft's platforms.

I hope that they're being truthful, but the timing seems like one heck of a coincidence.

The real litmus test will be whether the versions for Xbox One and Xbox Series X support Xcloud streaming. If they do, then that's a sure sign something's rotten in Denmark...or Redmond, as the case may be.

Um, Remote Play was previously available in the PS4 version of Tetris Effect, up until a few days ago, when the ability was removed from the game. We're not talking about delaying a patch or feature addition, but rather taking a previously available feature and eliminating it.

That's horrible. I intended to buy this game on Steam whenever was released... But now, no way I am gonna give a penny to this studio.

Blond

Banned

I was talking about the multiplayer not remote play and that being said just don't update your disc version and install 1.0 if remote play is important to you

sn0man

That's not the only piece of bad news for owners of the game on PS4. Remote Play was also recently removed from the PS4 version of the game.

that... is some next level bullshit there
I was talking about the multiplayer not remote play and that being said just don't update your disc version and install 1.0 if remote play is important to you
Mmmm.... sweet sweet physical copy glory. Though local multiplayer is my console jam. Will buy a physical copy when said copy has this feature.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
That's not the only piece of bad news for owners of the game on PS4. Remote Play was also recently removed from the PS4 version of the game.
How is that even possible? I can play all of my games Ps4 games on my Vita.

Hustler

Is this the first game to effectively not allow the remote play feature? I haven't played any other game where this isn't allowed and I use remote play at home in my office often. Honestly that's a BS move from microsoft if they're barring this because of Gamepass, Remote Play isn't PSNow.

Kagey K

Banned
Don’t forget to thank good guy Phil. Remember he is against stuff like this 😉
You can only hold a gentleman’s truce for so long.

If you oppose it, but your opposition keeps doing it anyway, at some point you either have to sink to those levels or let them run away with it.

FranXico

Remote Play was previously available in the PS4 version of Tetris Effect, up until a few days ago, when the ability was removed from the game. We're not talking about delaying a patch or feature addition, but rather taking a previously available feature and eliminating it.

This level of bullshit is new. Good guy MS once again innovating and bringing business practices to new lows.

Why would anyone play Tetris Effect without VR?

Be grateful that the VR compatibility wasn't removed due to "contractual reasons". Yet.

And I see the usual hypocrites defending this shit already LOL. They'll be at Sony's throats for retaliating when they do.

Miles708

Why would anyone play Tetris Effect without VR?

VR adds nothing to Tetris Effect, unless you choose to completely ignore the gameplay.
And if you do, you'll notice the awful resolution and the slowdowns much more easily.

And they're adding local coop after all this time, when it's a no-brainer really.

I really, completely, totally hate this game. What the hell is Mitsuguchi doing.

Vawn

Banned
VR adds nothing to Tetris Effect, unless you choose to completely ignore the gameplay.
And if you do, you'll notice the awful resolution and the slowdowns much more easily.

And they're adding local coop after all this time, when it's a no-brainer really.

I really, completely, totally hate this game. What the hell is Mitsuguchi doing.

Tetris VR with 7.2 surround sound is a religious experience.

Top Bottom