• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tetris Effect is one of the best new games to come out in years

D.Final

Banned
Seriously. I can't believe I almost didn't buy it.

It's not a game you have to invest a lot of time and energy into to enjoy. It's just all right there as soon as you start playing. The old Tetris formula doctored up in an incredible way.

Anyone who is even slightly on the fence about it should just buy it.

Yeah
It's really great

Zaffo

Big tetris and audiovisual experience games fan, still waiting on that PC release reporting in.

The Shepard

I didn't realise you could store a block to the side of the screen until recently, completely changed the game for me. Playing this in vr with the headset on is an amazing experience, just zone out whilst playing it. My favourite puzzle game.

Nyet 2 is better
Erm, ok...

Back to Tetris Effect. This game is an incredible experience. The blend of music, colours, visual effects, it's really something special as expected with Tetsuya Mizuguchi involved. Highly recommend for PSVR owners. Forget the nonsense "It's just Tetris" that you may hear from time to time. It is Tetris but it's a beautiful audio/visual attack on the senses and it's fantastic.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Does the GamePass version support PC VR?

I have been waiting like 2 years to play this fucking game.

Last edited:
Does the GamePass version support PC VR?

I have been waiting like 2 years to play this fucking game.
Dunno to be honest. I'd love a headset but don't want to spend hundreds for me to lose interest in a month.

This game looks like it would be awesome in VR though.

Last edited:

lachesis

I really like this game as well. The rumble feature was quite strong, so I was little shocked and felt like it may effect the aiming though.

AJUMP23

I like the game and the visual experience is fun. I don't like it when it speeds up, because I suck at Tetris.

MrS

Banned
Phenomenal game and the best way to experience Tetris. Got the grandmaster rank and loved my time with the game.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I like the game and the visual experience is fun. I don't like it when it speeds up, because I suck at Tetris.
If you don’t like it fast, you’re gonna hate the last level. I eventually beat it, and got that unique “Dark Souls” rush of endorphins when I did. Great game.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Sorry to say I for one can't stand this game, so I tossed it off my drive after 20-30 minutes. Sorry game, it's not you it's me..

Played this for the first time yesterday on GamePass while waiting for Anthem to download.
I got all the way through the practice levels. And as far as I could with the Beginner levels. It eventually got way to fast for me.
The rumble is really active. Reminded me of that old Lumans game on PSP or was it Vita?

Miles708

I know I'm in the minority, and I even usually love other Mitsuguchi's works (from Sega Rally all the way to Lumines), but man if I hated Tetris Effect.

It's barebones (they only recently added the 2 player option, for offline at least), it has input lag and it slows down (albeit very briefly) despite being just some squares and a fixed camera.

The audiovisual aspect is very nice but completely separated from the actual gameplay (Totally different from REZ) and, if you're short-sighted like me, you'll have to zoom the camera and lose much of the background spectacle, because they thought it was a good idea to zoom-in the background, too.

The PSVR experience is blurry and inconsistent, and mostly you'll be focused on the cheating speed spikes to give any attention to the blurred mess around you.

The last stage in an exercise in patience and made me hate Tetris as a whole, I completely can't stand it now.

I just hate this game so, so much.

EDIT: but the dophins are nice and the some of the music is good.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I know I'm in the minority, and I even usually love other Mitsuguchi's works (from Sega Rally all the way to Lumines), but man if I hated Tetris Effect.

It's barebones (they only recently added the 2 player option, for offline at least), it has input lag and it slows down (albeit very briefly) despite being just some squares and a fixed camera.

The audiovisual aspect is very nice but completely separated from the actual gameplay (Totally different from REZ) and, if you're short-sighted like me, you'll have to zoom the camera and lose much of the background spectacle, because they thought it was a good idea to zoom-in the background, too.

The PSVR experience is blurry and inconsistent, and mostly you'll be focused on the speed spikes of the cheating gameplay to give any attention to the blurred mess around you.

The last stage in an exercise in patience and made me hate Tetris as a whole, I completely can't stand it now.

I just hate this game so, so much.

EDIT: but the dophins are nice and the some of the music is good.
It's great on Series X. No slowdown or input lag noticed.

bender

What time is it?
I'm still kind of blown away that a Tetris game was at the top of my favorite games of the year in both 2018 and 2019.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Played it a bit. Nothing beats Tetris. When I saw that first mode say get to 150 lines, I was like WTF? Easy. Tried twice and got to around 110 lines and bombed. lol

I adjusted the visuals to be a minimal as possible, but it still seems the graphics can still have distracting particle effects and shit all over.

In the 3 minute mode, I think getting an A score requires a good score + 50 lines. I think I got 44 lines and scored a B. Tried 5-6 times. Under 40 lines seems like a C score.

Last edited:
How'd you do the active pause type move where it slows stuff down for you? I can't see it in the controls or tutorial but saw it on a review video.

RT once your Zone meter is full.
Cool thanks. How do you fill up the meter and where is it displayed?

Also, is there a way to see you ranking on individual story mode levels? I can only seem to filter it for the entire story (it whatever it's called).

Anyway, really liking it so far. I can see the three minute score attack being addictive.

Wonko_C

A bit sad they seemingly didn't add anything new to the single player component. I just want to be able to trigger Zone in the Effect Modes, in Marathon/Relax at the very least.

Come on, did really nobody at Enhance think about it?

Tschumi

I just hope you've played Lumines Electronic Symphony.

(Note: i mention es because it has better music, even though it's gameplay is.. a perfectly acceptable departure from the original)

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You can polish a turd as much as you want but a turd is always going to be a turd.

Tetris is fine but flashing lights don't impress me.

Ok so it's really a bit too difficult on normal i think. I can't get through a set of levels without doing dying a few times. The speed just goes crazy and I can't cope with it.

It's ridiculous and I'm an average Tetris player I think. I can set up a t spin etc but this, man, it's tough and ruining my enjoyment a bit. It's. Too. Fast.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ok so it's really a bit too difficult on normal i think. I can't get through a set of levels without doing dying a few times. The speed just goes crazy and I can't cope with it.

It's ridiculous and I'm an average Tetris player I think. I can set up a t spin etc but this, man, it's tough and ruining my enjoyment a bit. It's. Too. Fast.
One thing Tetris needs is a level max option.

The games always let you start at a certain level, but they never seem to have a max level. Nor a difficulty scale slider --> ramp up difficulty slow, med, fast.

That's one thing I hated about Geometry War games. The games start out easy for the first minute then scales difficulty so fast it makes it a chore to play knowing you'll be dead soon.

Wonko_C

Don't expect to beat it on your first couple dozen tries, you'll get faster and more reactive each day. It took me a month but I got to a point where I could play Marathon on max speed and clear around 2000 lines (I was playing in VR though), spent like two hours in some kind of trance, effortlessly clearing line after line, until I got fed up and lost on purpose. And I'm a terrible Tetris player, who can't even setup basic T-Spins.

One thing Tetris needs is a level max option.

The games always let you start at a certain level, but they never seem to have a max level. Nor a difficulty scale slider --> ramp up difficulty slow, med, fast.

That's one thing I hated about Geometry War games. The games start out easy for the first minute then scales difficulty so fast it makes it a chore to play knowing you'll be dead soon.
Quick Play in Effects Mode let's you do exactly that: Pick a number of lines you want to clear (up to 600), and set Constant Speed Lv to whatever you wish.

Last edited:

Impotaku

for anyone wanting to try and get SS rank there's a (sort of easy) way to do it in quick play mode. The trick is to keep getting back to back tetris's so you make a tetris and keep building to make another without getting any single or double lines cleared in between if you get 30 lines worth of tetris's back to back you will get the SS rannk every time. Using the hold button is essential to do it as well as learning when to let go of those long blocks you hold on to.

Played countless hours of this since release, managed to get in the top 3 on the world leaderboard during the weekend events but only a few times. My current focus is getting better at master & ultra modes where the blocks come so fast they pretty much just teleport to the bottom 121 lines has been my max score so far you have next to no time to rotate or position but it's a great skill test.

johntown

Banned
How is Tetris new? Sure it adds a new spin to a classic game but it was not enough for me to jump back on board something I had already put many hours into over the years.

Impotaku

Not really new as as it is just tetris at its core, but it does have new elements like the songs in each stage can be manipulated as you play so as you move the blocks you control the beat & stuff. Sort of like if tetris & lumines had a baby together. The game really shines in VR immersed in between all the particle effects with the headphones booming & the joypad vibrating in tune to the song is a really amazing experience. It's probably my favourite incarnation of tetris that has ever come out so far. The multiplayer mode update will make things a bit more fun when that eventually drops for ps4 players.

Outrunner

It's also up there with triggers for people with epilepsy. If you like to live on the edge you know

But yeah, I'm enjoying it a lot.

Last edited:

Denton

I am so terrible at this. I can't even finish the last level (metamorphosis) on beginner difficulty. When it speeds up I am dead. Closest I got was 83 lines. That said the last time I played tetris was on black and white gameboy.

Top Bottom