• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tetris Effect is one of the best new games to come out in years

reinking

Gold Member
Fantastic game. I have it for PSVR. I am not rebuying it for XBSX. I can't imagine I would play flat screen after playing it in VR anyway.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It's been a couple of weeks since my short time with it, but yeah...the effects are all around if I remember correctly. The 3D visuals combined with the music and sound make it a truly wonderful experience. :)

Current feelings:

HPghm68.jpg

Wonko_C

Can the Oculus Quest 2 version be played with a d-pad? Playing this kind of game with an analog stick seems like a recipe for disaster.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Still on the verge of getting it. Thought about buying it on the Quest, is that a good idea?

Edit: OK should've read the thread I guess :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

Killer8

They need to do matchmaking by average lines/drops per minute or something instead of SR. I just got wrecked 3 times in a row by autists who can somehow fill half the screen in seconds.

Nymphae

Banned
Yes

I am up to #70 on the Master Mode leaderboard, I want to finish in the top 50 at least.

Only about 140,000 rotations away from getting the Platinum too!

00_Zer0

I picked this up during a sale on the Epic store. What is strange about this one is that it doen't run VR through Epic, but your choice of Steam VR or Oculus VR. This is probably because Epic is just a store without VR features.

I guess people like me get the free update for this though, which is nice. Even though I bought it on Epic I would have preferred buying it on Steam. I don't understand why this game is available on the MS store, Oculus Quest Store, PS4 Store, and the Epic store, but not on Steam.

I know very well that everyone but Epic is getting a 30% cut, so that can't be there reason for not putting it up on Steam. To lose out on the potential sales/customer base of Steam seems like a poor business decision that many of these companies keep making and it doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
It's the best Tetris game I've played hands down. And Tetris has basically perfected it's design.

But.. Best game in years all up? I mean it's Tetris. Its great but I wouldn't go that far. I suppose it's all opinion.. But I think gaming has evolved in incredible ways allowing new exciting experiences that were not possible in the 80s.

Last edited:

Killer8

Are zone battle rankings glitched? My number of wins is stuck at 2 on the leaderboard, even though i'd won over 30 by now.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Played the shit out of it at launch on PS4 + PS VR. Just noticed it's on Gamepass PC the other day and ended up doing another journey mode run. It's outstanding.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Played the shit out of it at launch on PS4 + PS VR. Just noticed it's on Gamepass PC the other day and ended up doing another journey mode run. It's outstanding.
You doing the runs on Expert? If yes: That's pretty hardcore, I'm just getting bitchslapped left and right

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You doing the runs on Expert? If yes: That's pretty hardcore

Fuck no, I don't play nearly enough Tetris for that. Beginner when I want to clear without much trouble, normal if I feel like stepping it up. I could probably do expert by restarting some individual stages but that's kinda cheating.

reksveks

If you want to play on your phone, i haven't gotten Parsec set up properly but i am doing it that way, and it's not too bad except make sure to zoom in.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The only negative comment I have about the game is that it was somewhat overpriced at launch. Tetris is Tetris after all and it made it a harder sell than it should have been. They should have priced lower and sold the OST alongside from the start.

The only negative comment I have about the game is that it was somewhat overpriced at launch. Tetris is Tetris after all and it made it a harder sell than it should have been. They should have priced lower and sold the OST alongside from the start.

It’s free with gamepass though. Day one.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It’s free with gamepass though. Day one.

Was out on Playstation in Nov 2018. Loved the pre-launch weekend demo and was sold on it as a game, but I waited 6 months or so and got for half the price in a sale because I felt it represented kinda weak value for money. Had it been £10-15 cheaper and came bundled with the OST I'd likely have bitten sooner.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Tried this on GamePass.

Maybe it’s great in VR, but on a regular screen, it’s the worst Tetris I’ve played.
Every single thing that I guess makes it “immersive” in VR, seems to be made to be distracting without VR. Some visuals turn the action into a mess, many songs are annoying, and the rumble is just a nuisance. Even with the gameplay window at max zoom, sometimes it’s hard to read the screen correctly.

After months of the perfection that is Tettis 99, this one feels like a bad joke.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Best way to test your new epilepsy drugs. I tried it for like few minutes and decided that it's just tetris(shock!) and moved on.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Holy crap, just tried this, was on my list of try and delete soon, but its amazing, gameplay, visuals, sound, all in synergy in such an unexpected way. Thank God for gamepass, I would never have tried it!

SegaManAU

Gold Member
I'm really late to the party but I started playing this a few weeks ago on game pass. Over the last 3 days, I've really been addicted to it. Wow, it's an eyegasm!! Looks amazing on the OLED. I wish I'd played this in VR now!

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I had it physical on PS because it was 10 bucks not long after launch. I played it a fair bit in VR but now I just stick with the Xbox version on GP. I never hooked up the VR that much for it. Its not essential for Tetris. I like the MP as well.

Moomalade74

Banned
I really late to the party but I started playing this a few weeks ago on game pass. Over the last 3 days, I've really been addicted to it. Wow, it's an eyegasm!! Looks amazing on the OLED. I wish I'd played this in VR now!

Now imagine playing in VR with OLED screens. PSVR version is incredible, with quality headphones an emotional almost moving experience.

n0razi

It needs a VR 2.0 update real bad for Quest 2, Index, etc...

Is the AV experience still really good without VR? Not sure if I want to go for this if AV is the big appeal and I don’t have VR.
VR is not a must but I would say at least a large TV (50"+) and a good sound system/headset are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom