• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tetris Effect launches Nov.9th for PS4

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Looks like a cool game, and the VR functionality seems like a great way to lose yourself in a pixel wonderland (Super Hyper Cube was a great VR puzzler for the same reason).

AggravatingObviousDutchshepherddog-size_restricted.gif

It'll also offer an enhanced mode on PS4 Pro:

Play it on either a PS4 and standard display, or up to 4K and 60fps on a PS4 Pro, or optionally in mind-blowing 3D via PS VR!

Anyone planning to get this? Curious if anyone is interested in trying out the VR mode.

Source at Gematsu

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Game looks pretty good.

Seems like it'd be a good game to toss on the PSVR headset, smoke a joint, and chill out to.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Hell yeah. Lumines Remastered has been hyping me up for this in the meantime.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I Like Tetris a Lot and Finally this game comes, not the ugly one of Ubisoft.

There is physical or only digital game?

Wonko_C

This is the only game I am interested in purchasing day 0 this holiday season, just to experience the the music and crazy visuals in VR alone. I'll get some hate for saying this but thank goodness it's Tetris and not Lumines, I can't get into that game. :(

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I Like Tetris a Lot and Finally this game comes, not the ugly one of Ubisoft.

There is physical or only digital game?
Appears to be digital-only. I am unsure why, but I believe Tetris Company has licensing restrictions that only allow one version of their game to be available at retail at a time. With Puyo Puyo Tetris (exceptional game, btw) still out there, maybe that's why?

I just want a decent version of basic Tetris.
Puyo Puyo Tetris is worth it for the Tetris alone if that's your jam. Highly configurable and runs flawlessly. Up to 4p on one TV, you can make teams, tweak the rules, customize all of the graphics and Tetriminos, etc. and it also includes some of the Tetris staples like 100 Line Mode.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Puyo Puyo Tetris is worth it for the Tetris alone if that's your jam. Highly configurable and runs flawlessly. Up to 4p on one TV, you can make teams, tweak the rules, customize all of the graphics and Tetriminos, etc. and it also includes some of the Tetris staples like 100 Line Mode.

I'm a TGM guy and avoid most novelty versions of Tetris (TE just looks too sick not too buy though).

Can I just do basic ass Tetris in PPT? Are there speed mods or anything like Radical mode from PSP Tetris?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm a TGM guy and avoid most novelty versions of Tetris (TE just looks too sick not too buy though).

Can I just do basic ass Tetris in PPT? Are there speed mods or anything like Radical mode from PSP Tetris?
Yes, you can do basic-ass Tetris in all the "common" modes plus there are some Tetris-specific modes like 100 Lines. There is a mode called "Big Bang" which is like a speed mode. You can mix-and-match the modes or play just Tetris or just Puyo. It's up to you. Online modes also allow you to filter based on the game you'd want to play (so you could exclusively get matched up for Tetris-only online if you would prefer). The 'Story Mode' requires you to alternate between Tetris and Puyo, depending on the mission.

It is not as robust as a standalone Tetris (like Tetris DS or Tetris Party) but it has all the Tetris guts you'd want. But on that note, the Puyo Puyo side of things isn't as robust as other standalone PPT games.

Nymphae

Banned
Yes, you can do basic-ass Tetris in all the "common" modes plus there are some Tetris-specific modes like 100 Lines. There is a mode called "Big Bang" which is like a speed mode. You can mix-and-match the modes or play just Tetris or just Puyo. It's up to you. Online modes also allow you to filter based on the game you'd want to play (so you could exclusively get matched up for Tetris-only online if you would prefer). The 'Story Mode' requires you to alternate between Tetris and Puyo, depending on the mission.

It is not as robust as a standalone Tetris (like Tetris DS or Tetris Party) but it has all the Tetris guts you'd want. But on that note, the Puyo Puyo side of things isn't as robust as other standalone PPT games.

Very interesting, thanks, I might grab that if I can find it discounted.

I was never a big fan of Tetris DS for some reason. It was unquestionably a great package, but I didn't care for the backgrounds and I don't think there were TGM equivalent modes. It saddens me that the best version of Tetris I'll likely ever get my hands on is the TGM3 rom I have on my DL lite. I wish the Tetris company would just let people add options to the games they develop. Like make the main game TC rule compliant, fine, but why can't I have modes to play it at warp speed if I want to? I would love to hear from someone there why they are so crazy about the Tetris rules.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

I was never a big fan of Tetris DS for some reason. It was unquestionably a great package, but I didn't care for the backgrounds and I don't think there were TGM equivalent modes. It saddens me that the best version of Tetris I'll likely ever get my hands on is the TGM3 rom I have on my DL lite. I wish the Tetris company would just let people add options to the games they develop. Like make the main game TC rule compliant, fine, but why can't I have modes to play it at warp speed if I want to? I would love to hear from someone there why they are so crazy about the Tetris rules.
I don't think Arika is in the market for making another Tetris or budging on their portion of the license-ownership. That's probably why we're not getting ports of TGM or a new TGM.

Maybe if they make enough money off Fighting Layer EX they'll make another TGM.

Nymphae

Banned
I don't think Arika is in the market for making another Tetris or budging on their portion of the license-ownership. That's probably why we're not getting ports of TGM or a new TGM.

Maybe if they make enough money off Fighting Layer EX they'll make another TGM.

That would be sweet, guess I should buy FLEX soon lol

I mean yeah I doubt the market is huge for TGM, but I've always wondered why more Tetris games don't let you get under the hood and customize shit a bit more. Nullpulmino was great for that, letting you adjust like every variable in the damn game basically lol

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
That would be sweet, guess I should buy FLEX soon lol

I mean yeah I doubt the market is huge for TGM, but I've always wondered why more Tetris games don't let you get under the hood and customize shit a bit more. Nullpulmino was great for that, letting you adjust like every variable in the damn game basically lol
Most puzzle games are bad at letting you customize. I am a huge puzzle-game fan so believe me, I feel your pain. I wish there was a lot more customization and features included in these games. There are a lot of tweaks and "mods" from many older versions of the games. For instance, I wish they would bring back the simple-but-fun ruleset of games like Bombliss or like Tetris Butou Gaiden.

Nymphae

Banned
Most puzzle games are bad at letting you customize. I am a huge puzzle-game fan so believe me, I feel your pain. I wish there was a lot more customization and features included in these games. There are a lot of tweaks and "mods" from many older versions of the games. For instance, I wish they would bring back the simple-but-fun ruleset of games like Bombliss or like Tetris Butou Gaiden.

Yeah the genre feels like it's for OCD types who would appreciate being able to tinker a bit too lol.

Never heard of those, I'll check em out. I'm mostly a Tetris guy, but I've liked a few others over the years.

Meteos was surprisingly fun, and I was way into Planet Puzzle League for a while. And who could forget Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine!

AlexxKidd

They have a date but didnt tell us the cost? Why so secretive with that info? Im def interested, Ive had my eye on this since the pre-E3 reveal, but dont give a date thats less than 2 months away without the price.

Tenaciousmo

I still can't get the song out of my head from the first time I've seen the trailer at e3 I think. Have been wondering when it will come out since. If there's more song, visual, tetris like seen in that announce trailer, IM IN.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned

Be aware that if you're hoping to use Puyo Puyo in this way that you can't turn off the anime character voices without muting all sound effects.

Yes, it's a dumb limitation.

Wonko_C

Hoping the demo appears later today on the NZ store (it's already midnight Nov. 1 over there) , I don't want to wait until tomorrow, LOL.

EDIT: Demo out on JP Store! gogogo

Last edited:

GenericUser

Demo is out in EU (and I guess US too). Everybody has to try it out, what a great experience. Felt like playing tetris on drugs. I guess I'll buy this game. It's something new and fresh and it's Tetris.

FranXico

40 euros is about twice as much as I would normally be willing to pay for this kind of game. Lumines Remastered was 15.

Wonko_C

I was actually expecting it to be $60 considering the production values of the visuals and music alone. Tetsuya Mizuguchi said in an interview the game is actually pushing the hardware and getting it to run at 4K@60/VR@60 was no easy task even when powered by Unreal Engine.

Last edited:
what 40 bucks? are they serious, it's a great game, but man ...40 bucks is like asking for it to tank.
i guess i would do it if i owned the PSVR... but thats not the case and then 40 bucks is just asking for trouble... im sure not a whole lot of people own the PSVR yet.. but ofcourse there is a large percentage of people that does and for that it might be reasonable valued no?

petran79

Banned

You can also try Cultris II on PC. Supports online up to 9 players

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm definitely looking forward to this when it's half off

Hate to admit it, but that's my position too. Spent a couple of hours LOVING the demo, but I'm still baulking at the asking price.

Its funny, because part of my brain looks at the amount of work that's clearly gone into the music and visuals, and I can see why they deserve a decent price for the game, but another part is going "its still Tetris! £40 Really?"...

FranXico

I really liked it. It's a really good game, but not €40 good. Price your PSN games appropriately, Sony.

GenericUser

I really liked it. It's a really good game, but not €40 good. Price your PSN games appropriately, Sony.
I'd argue the devs/pubs decide on the price, not sony (alone).

i guess i would do it if i owned the PSVR... but thats not the case and then 40 bucks is just asking for trouble... im sure not a whole lot of people own the PSVR yet.. but ofcourse there is a large percentage of people that does and for that it might be reasonable valued no?

I don't know. I only know two persons who own a PS VR. One guy is more the hardcore gamer who wouldn't touch tetris because it has no story and no progression system. The other guy, don't know. I personally have never experienced the game in VR, I can't tell if its worth the price.

I honestly would think about paying full price for this, but I also think it will receive a price drop soon after launch. I don't think there are too many people out there who will pay 40 bucks for Tetris. Even though it's probably the best version ever.

Last edited:

Venuspower

No way I am going to spend 40€ for this type of game.
I thought it would be around 20€ - 25€.
I guess I have to play the other Tetris versions I own until
they have Tetris Effect in a sale.

drotahorror

Never was big intro Tetris but the demo was fun from what I played. I made it to the 3rd or 4th level and lost. Then I stopped playing it. Shit was getting intense and I don't think I'm good enough.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
First off, this game is awesome. I love the zone feature and it adds a whole new layer to knowing you are clearing levels in a certain amount of lines so you want to hold onto that so you can go way over the number of lines while zoned. I was trying way too hard to have 2 Tetrises lined up and working for a 3rd all while zoned. It always gets me messed up!

I was also really excited when I saw that the game could be played in VR. Unfortunately, I'm just not sure if it adds as much as I was expecting. It does help you get into that trance since you're so shut off from the outside world while playing it, but I guess I was expecting more actual, physical depth. I expected the effects to be shooting out around you and things like that. It does do it, but just not in a way that I really noticed very much. Also, the game is kinda jaggy and blurry. I'd expect a 2D puzzle game in VR to be able to supersample like crazy.

If you do play in VR, you'll want to immediately change the camera setting to be close up. The default camera is pretty far back and only exacerbates the jaggy/blurry issue.

Last edited:

Vlaphor

What I played seemed like the best Tetris ever, but I dont know if that's worth $40. Also I'd want it on pc, which is where my VR headset is.

Grinchy

Banned
Damn, it's over...

I was hoping it ended at midnight tonight. I played a few hours or so in VR and really wanted to try out the regular screen mode today. I only ever got like a 60K score in the Normal difficulty and wanted to try to beef that up.

Data Ghost

My copy of Tetris Effect unlocked at midnight last night and I played it until about 2:45am. Loving the game so far and well worth the purchase. Any questions just ask...

Data Ghost

How many different gameplay modes (so far)? Is there local multiplayer?
Haven't seen any local multiplayer options so far. There is the main 'Journey' mode and 'Effect' modes, plus there seems to be a mode not available yet which displays as '????'

Its also important to mention that HDR is disabled by default and has to be switched on from the options menu. Not sure why that would be the case and not seen it mentioned by anyone else. It was the same in the weekend demo too.

Top Bottom