• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tetris Effect removes remote play from PS4 version, Licensing to be the cause

Blond

Banned
1. Buy disc for 10 dollars

2. Never update and keep remote play for a damn Tetris game on a dead handheld

jakinov

So what is the contractual reason? Seems that remote play alows online streaming and that is now xcloud/gamepass exclusive? I don't get why a system level feature would be blocked unless the Tetris guys signed some contract that remote play is now violating. What's the actual reason without having to visit era?
Wouldn't matter if it's at the system level, if it violates their licensing agreement. It's like Netflix doesn't let you download certain movies because when they license that movie it was said that you can't let people download it. It's a platform feature but the deal to be able to get that content imposes limitations. I don't know what it is but if these companies have to get a license on a platform by platform basis and not I want your license then I can release as many versions of Tetris on 100s of different platforms. It's kind of a grey area because it's just 1 version of the game but it does step on the toes of people who bought a license to make Tetris for mobile or whatever. I think it'd make sense for a company like Tetris to want to sell tetris on a platform by platform basis considering everyone wants to bring Tetris to every platform; and you make more money selling it separately then saying if you license it you can basically make unlimited versions of Tetris everywhere.

Agent X

Wouldn't matter if it's at the system level, if it violates their licensing agreement.

What I (and apparently others) would like to know is why Remote Play suddenly violates their licensing agreement, to the point where they had to remove it from the game. The game has been out more than a year and a half and they just now noticed that the game had Remote Play all along?

If they suddenly decide that VR is in "violation" of the contract (e.g. because it wouldn't be fair to customers on other platforms that don't support VR), could they then patch out PSVR support?

jakinov

What I (and apparently others) would like to know is why Remote Play suddenly violates their licensing agreement, to the point where they had to remove it from the game. The game has been out more than a year and a half and they just now noticed that the game had Remote Play all along?

If they suddenly decide that VR is in "violation" of the contract (e.g. because it wouldn't be fair to customers on other platforms that don't support VR), could they then patch out PSVR support?
I'm guessing Tetris (the licensor) probably didn't notice it was a thing until someone started talking to them about the cloud version where they were probably like but that's going to be playable on all these platforms and so the Tetris Effects devs realized one way or another that remote play goes against possibly a license that limits your game to a specific platform. Xcloud or Stadia would probably be an exception because that's inherently how the platform works, kind of like if you made a Tetris game for the web, you could play an HTML5/JS version on any platform whereas remote-play is just gravy to the main way of consuming. The license could also not be a lump sum and and could take revenue on any sales and might not like the idea of the person not buying the game again on Vita or having a reason not to buy the mobile version of Tetris.

I just think it's a very obscure thing for Microsoft to pay for when you can get tetris on mobile for a few bucks and the Vita isn't relevant, and you can get web licenced legal version of Tetris built into Facebook, and from google searches for free if you're on PC. Just from my speculation, I think there's many reasons why Tetris would be against it. I don't work for either companies so I can't say anything is for sure. But doesn't sound like anything shady with what we know.

Agent X

I'm guessing Tetris (the licensor) probably didn't notice it was a thing until someone started talking to them about the cloud version where they were probably like but that's going to be playable on all these platforms and so the Tetris Effects devs realized one way or another that remote play goes against possibly a license that limits your game to a specific platform. Xcloud or Stadia would probably be an exception because that's inherently how the platform works, kind of like if you made a Tetris game for the web, you could play an HTML5/JS version on any platform whereas remote-play is just gravy to the main way of consuming.

OK, this is a well thought post. I must say, though (and we're being hypothetical here), if Xcloud is part of the deal, then this goes completely against Mr. MacDonald's remark that this is "separate from anything between Enhance and Microsoft". It doesn't matter if this is "inherent" to the way Xcloud works.

Note that in Microsoft's world, the term "Xcloud" also encompasses their equivalent feature to Sony's Remote Play.

The license could also not be a lump sum and and could take revenue on any sales and might not like the idea of the person not buying the game again on Vita or having a reason not to buy the mobile version of Tetris.

I also want to note that in Sony's world, "Remote Play" supports streaming to not only PS Vita, but also PC, Android, and iOS.

I'll disagree with the concept here, because Tetris Effect was designed around not just the core gameplay, but also the complete audiovisual experience. There is no equivalent game to this on Vita or mobile devices.

The ability to use Remote Play to stream Tetris Effect to an Android phone would not be be likely to have any significant impact sales of Tetris Touch (or whatever the new version is called) for Android. The logic you're presenting is that by someone using Remote Play for Tetris Effect, the licensor of Tetris Touch (and by extension The Tetris Company) is losing a potential sale of Tetris Touch. Their (flawed) conclusion is that, "Hey, if we kill off Remote Play for the PS4 version of Tetris Effect, then that one guy streeaming it to his Android phone will now be highly motivated to buy Tetris Touch to replace it instead! OH WE SMART PEOPLES NOW!"

Whatever the case may be, the PS4 audience is owed an explanation of why the feature was removed. There was no announcement ahead of time, and nothing in the patch notes, so it looks like they slipped it in there and hoped no one would notice.

I'm not saying that it's shenanigans. There are plausible reasons. But, people who bought the game deserve to know the real reason why the feature was axed, and not "just because".

sainraja

Didn't Sony do something like this with CoD and Destiny? Exclusive content for over a year or something like that?

Hell Sony purchased full exclusivity of a huge multi platform game like Street Fighter 5 for the entire gen.

I feel like those things are far worse and no one took Sony to task for them. MS has to compete in some way.

The examples you are giving of Sony are also practices that Microsoft employs. This has already been clarified by the OP as not being by Microsoft but buying timed exclusivity isn't exclusive to Sony ;)

Blond

Banned
Turns out that a far more sinister entity is responsible: The Tetris Company.

I learned today that Tetris is so popular it has an entire legal branch to protect it lol

EDIT: And bank cards, 3 piece suits, blankets and house decorations officially available at tetris.com what in the fuck lol

Last edited:

jakinov

OK, this is a well thought post. I must say, though (and we're being hypothetical here), if Xcloud is part of the deal, then this goes completely against Mr. MacDonald's remark that this is "separate from anything between Enhance and Microsoft". It doesn't matter if this is "inherent" to the way Xcloud works.

Note that in Microsoft's world, the term "Xcloud" also encompasses their equivalent feature to Sony's Remote Play.

I also want to note that in Sony's world, "Remote Play" supports streaming to not only PS Vita, but also PC, Android, and iOS.

I'll disagree with the concept here, because Tetris Effect was designed around not just the core gameplay, but also the complete audiovisual experience. There is no equivalent game to this on Vita or mobile devices.

The ability to use Remote Play to stream Tetris Effect to an Android phone would not be be likely to have any significant impact sales of Tetris Touch (or whatever the new version is called) for Android. The logic you're presenting is that by someone using Remote Play for Tetris Effect, the licensor of Tetris Touch (and by extension The Tetris Company) is losing a potential sale of Tetris Touch. Their (flawed) conclusion is that, "Hey, if we kill off Remote Play for the PS4 version of Tetris Effect, then that one guy streeaming it to his Android phone will now be highly motivated to buy Tetris Touch to replace it instead! OH WE SMART PEOPLES NOW!"

Whatever the case may be, the PS4 audience is owed an explanation of why the feature was removed. There was no announcement ahead of time, and nothing in the patch notes, so it looks like they slipped it in there and hoped no one would notice.

I'm not saying that it's shenanigans. There are plausible reasons. But, people who bought the game deserve to know the real reason why the feature was axed, and not "just because".
I don't think Xcloud is part of the deal. I just think that when evaluating how licensing would work with the cloud service somebody could have realized that remote play was against the licensing terms. The part about it being inherent to how xcloud works is that if you get the PS4 version of the game it's expected you download and play it on the PS4; remote play is something on top of that. If the license is by the platform as I suspect then that would explain why they would let people license on PC because in theory you can play Tetris web versions on your PS4, iphone, ipad, etc. My point is just that they probably don't care about Xcloud enabling you to play a licenced version on a bunch of different platforms is because that's just how xcloud works. Just like that's just how the web works. Again this all based on speculation that the licenses limit where you can release your game.

In regards to the second part, I don't think Tetris (the licencor) would care if ones better or different from the other. I think to them they would want to just make sure that they get whatever money they can and would rather the devs buy a new license and release Tetris effect directly on mobile. They may have even said that they need to pay more if they want remote play to work.

I agree that they should explain exactly what happened.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The history of Tetris has always been about ownership and making deals. It’s silly how things just can’t work.

Last edited:

Banned
all I can think is... who the fuck voluntarily plays Tetris with 100ms of additional input lag?

what kind of sadists do that?

Polelock

Next will be we can't play the game we own with a longer hdmi cable because we aren't in the same room with the system... shit is so dumb.

JonnyMP3

all I can think is... who the fuck voluntarily plays Tetris with 100ms of additional input lag?

what kind of sadists do that?
Honestly... Those arseholes that seem to think about 10 moves ahead! I could probably do 2 to 3 at best but some people are just nuts.

Huh, well fair enough, that'll teach me to jump to conclusions.

I should have remembered it's 2020, the year of total fucktardery, and assumed it would be for bafflingly nonsensical reasons.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Okay this was a thread backfire

I have done some further research

Apparently it's nothing to do with Microsoft and something related to the Tetris license, the timing of both events made it look like a Microsoft moneyhat
To quick to point the finger at microsoft

theclaw135

Banned
Puyo Puyo Tetris was only localzied for half the platforms available in Japan, and the PS4 version initially was physical disc only (later added).

Tschumi

I know this isn't really the place to say this, but I'm not a full member yet so i can't make a thread. ...i mean, even if I could I'm not sure it matters enough for that treatment...

But i think Lumines is 10x the game Tetris is.

Obviously that's just opinion - unsolicited opinion - but i don't know why people bother with Tetris anymore when Lumines exists. My lumines is on psp and vita, so i can't do online play as far as i know, but i can imagine competitive Lumines, with its shifting border and breakneck speed, and competing player powers, is just as cool as, if not more cool than, competitive Tetris.

I think you can get Lumines for PS4, via PS3 via vita or something... I dunno, really. But if you can, do. And if it's possible, then losing remote play for tetris doesn't matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hudo

I learned today that Tetris is so popular it has an entire legal branch to protect it lol

EDIT: And bank cards, 3 piece suits, blankets and house decorations officially available at tetris.com what in the fuck lol
I am just happy that Alexey Pajitnov seems to be part of that. I always thought that Alexey lost the license to the game he invented to some company due to shitty/shady deals.

theclaw135

Banned
It was misery for everyone. The Tetris license for consoles, arcades, and computers went to different companies. With many incarnations only released in certain regions. Japanese rights differed from the west.

Top Bottom