• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tetsuya Mizuguchi's (Rez, CoE) new puzzle game "18" (screens, art & trailer; iOS/And)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
To note, it will be releasing worldwide.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or0Zn_cYz8Q

Brief Description:

Kantan Games said:
Announced way back in July 2014, this project is the brain child of Tetsuya Mizuguchi. During its Q3 FY2014 earnings call, Mobcast explained that users can expect a “mysterious puzzle game” (direct translation) that will blend a story line, puzzle mechanics, and battle RPG elements. Using Mizuguchi’s background and star power, “18 (Eighteen)” will be released by Mobcast worldwide. In Japan, the company started accepting pre-registrations on February 10.

http://www.serkantoto.com/2015/02/19/mobile-games-japan-2015/

Screens/Art:

ss1f1jgz.png

ss2sgjsp.png
ss3y0jct.png

ss4kdk7q.png
ss5znkm3.png

Alx

The only part that looked like understandable gameplay looked like another bejeweled/candy crush/match three clone. That's a bit disappointing.
On the other hand there's a cat with a fedora...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Good to see Mr. Nyanta from Log Horizon getting more work.

Art looks rather nice. I actually look forward to trying it out.
oh no, more cellphone games argh, what about consoles, why japan why, etc etc.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
That's... not what I expected... :/

bigkrev

ss4kdk7q.png

This image breaks my heart. Looks like it's F2P, not premium :(

I'll probably check it out because Lumines is one of my all time favorite games, but from the images it just looks like a garbage match 3 F2P anime snoozefest

Ramenman

Ok so, OMG MIZUGUCHI'S NEW GAME OMG.

Well, now that the rabbid insta-joy of the fanboy that I am is evacuated, I think it looks cool, I like the art, however I wonder if it actually follows on the gameplay/music symbiosis of his previous games, it's possible but hard to tell since we hear no in-game sound...

everyone goes through that match-3 puzzle phase, I guess...

There's absolutely nothing surprising or new in this particular person making a puzzle game though, you must not be familiar with his output.

Ok so, OMG MIZUGUCHI'S NEW GAME OMG.

Well, now that the rabbid insta-joy of the fanboy that I am is evacuated, I think it looks cool, I like the art, however I wonder if it actually follows on the gameplay/music symbiosis of his previous games, it's possible but hard to tell since we hear no in-game sound...

There's absolutely nothing surprising or new in this particular person making a puzzle game though, you must not be familiar with his output.

Right but he was pointing out the match 3 subset that he reverted too which is likely off pressure from the success of Candy Crush.

Lumines was one of the best, I'm optimistic to try this.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You gotta be shitting me...

Mobcast. They're also doing a port of Lumines and he oversaw some kind of more generic mobile game.

This makes me suspicious that he's not really been very involved in the development or design of the game.

This is the one he's directing out of the three he's working on IIRC. The description is from an analyst's site so he's talking about selling power.

Ramenman

From top-notch puzzle games to forced F2P mechanics, blah.

The good part being we don't know that this is any less top notch than his other games nor do we know what the F2P mechanics are, if it's even F2P (though I'll give you that there's not a lot of mystery on that point given the current mobile landscape).

Guy has been making puzzle games most of his career, now makes another puzzle game for the most appropriate platform for puzzle games, but somehow it's bad because it's 'mobile'.

I mean clearly, I looked forward to paying a 40 bucks cartridge to play that on my 3DS, I really really did. Cellphone games ? baaaah, never !

But I understand, as another poster said, this is now a thread about "oh no, a cellphone game from, what about consoles, why japan why, etc etc.", so I'll let you all have that guys.

The good part being we don't know that this is any less top notch than his other games nor do we know what the F2P mechanics are, if it's even F2P (though I'll give you that there's not a lot of mystery on that point given the current mobile landscape).

Guy has been making puzzle games most of his career, now makes another puzzle game for the most appropriate platform for puzzle games, but somehow it's bad because it's 'mobile'.

I mean clearly, I looked forward to paying a 40 bucks cartridge to play that on my 3DS, I really really did. Cellphone games ? baaaah, never !

But I understand, as another poster said, this is now a thread about "oh no, a cellphone game from, what about consoles, why japan why, etc etc.", so I'll let you all have that guys.

Nope, it will likely be bad because it will likely be distorted by micro-transactions, which are not the creator's choice, but mainly the company's choice. I can't play games filled with mechanisms to spend money, or that intentionally block contents to make you constantly pay.

Yasumi

Banned
Catherine aesthetics, with a more anime Junpei from 999, the cat from The Cat Returns, and Puzzle & Dragon Gameplay. Huh.

Top Bottom