• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tetsuya Takahashi: I would want a 3rd Xenoblade to be more like the first again

DeSolos

Day -1

Give me anything like the original any day.

To be clear, I mostly mean having a proper main character. I don't mind what the setting is. It would be nice to get the composers from the original too. I miss Shimomura and Ace+.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
i just described XCX to a friend as "the guys who made xenogears doing Skyrim, with robots"

so yeah, keep on trucking

That's an awful description. XCX really shared nothing with Skyrim other than that they both have large worlds. They're extremely different in just about every way.

Chaos17

If they want to put more resources into a well-developed story then I suggest they focus less on the scope of the world next time.

From what I've heard about XCX, the world is impressive but overkill in its size.

XcX is fantastic because of its open world.
It's an rpg for explorers; etrian odyssey lover and pso lover.
You want something more story driven, play Witcher 3 instead, period!

What's the difference (without spoilers if possible)? I didn't play the first or the new one but I'm interested in both.
Gameplay wise, new game is enchanced version of the old game.
Story wise, they've nothing in common.

For any sceptical people watch this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOm842H-rac
If you don't like it after watching this then this game might not be for you.

Dice//

Banned
Ok
7fpJP9o.gif

I'd probably buy whatever it is anyways. Only thing they can do to sway me is turn it into a giant moe-fest where everyone has over-sized nipples...or something.

Go_Ly_Dow

Would buy a NX without hesitation for another narrative structure like the original Xenoblade.

Also needs the original sound team as well.

I'm enjoying XCX a lot so far but it's hard not to want it to be a bit more story focused. I'd love to see a return to XC's story driven narrative, especially with a gigantic world similar to Mira in scope. Would be the GOAT.

rhandino

Banned
Just make a good battle system for the next and I don't care how the game progresses =X

(maybe get rid of the fetch quests too, but I'm willing to complete them if fighting is fun)

Also, I guess this is a confirmation that Nintendo does indeed plan on continuing the series. Nothing but good news.
But the battle system they have rn is good though...

orochi91

Yeah, Sawano's stuff is mostly garbage. His music appeals to young teenagers with underdeveloped taste. It's really "epic", after all.

Agreed.

Sawano's stuff is the loud generic "epic" tracks, with a healthy dose of broken English/German.

Though to be fair, I feel that he experiments a lot as well, which makes for some interesting music.

Hagi

The soundtrack is weird because I think everything outside of what plays is NLA is great but man when you aren't in the field holy shit is it off-putting. Not a huge fan of the battle system either but I've still put in 11 hours since I got the game today. :p

Would likely buy a third Xenoblade game.

I think there's a good mix to be had. I like Xenoblade but its not something I'd be aching to go back to after I complete it.
Yeah, Sawano's stuff is mostly garbage. His music appeals to young teenagers with underdeveloped taste. It's really "epic", after all.
Get over yourself

Korigama

Provided making it more like the original Xenoblade means not piling the worst story developments onto one character disproportionately while everyone else in the group does fairly well for themselves by the time the game ends, then I would be in favor of it. I loved that game, but that was always something that soured things a bit for me.

That said, every Xeno game is sci-fi. The only thing I suppose people who say that they want another game that has a sci-fi direction mean is that they want another game with a space opera angle, as X and the Xenosaga games did (rather than the schizo tech juxtaposition of natural and technological elements that Xenogears and the original Xenoblade did).
I'm not a fan of Sawano, but some of the posts in this thread echoing my opinion are done so in such fashion that I'm almost ashamed to dislike him. I think it would be good if we avoided blanket typecasting those among us who enjoy his soundtrack; there are quite a few of them, and given GAF's demographics I refuse to believe they're all "young teenagers." :p
I felt that this merited quoting for another page (very much agreed that it's possible to like or dislike his work without making sweeping generalizations that insult the other side).

Illucio

Banned
Xenoblade Chronicles X always felt like a small step back, they wanted to do something different to attract Western audiences, but that never works out for any Japanese developer, EVER.

I'm sick of Japanese companies trying to make up gimmicks to add into their games to appeal to a Western audience, just make a great game and we will like it. That's what you did for Xenoblade Chronicles and it worked wonders.

Keasar

I'd not lament the loss of character creator if I got a well written main character again with personality.

Though I am really enjoying this open world thing they got going on. It is doable to have both, look at (GOTY winner) The Witcher 3.

Xenoblade Chronicles X always felt like a small step back, they wanted to do something different to attract Western audiences, but that never works out for any Japanese developer, EVER.

I'm sick of Japanese companies trying to make up gimmicks to add into their games to appeal to a Western audience, just make a great game and we will like it. That's what you did for Xenoblade Chronicles and it worked wonders.

Binary Domain is pretty good, and I hate shooters =P

I think what you're saying applies mostly to RPGs, and only in very specific cases (which, for the sake of not derailing, doesn't include Dragon's Dogma and Souls).

All I care about is that another Xenoblade is a possiblity. I'm fine with the 3rd one being, again, different from its predecessors. I enjoyed XC immensely and I'm enjoying XCX immensely as well. So sure, make it more story heavy but please, let me explore and discover like I'm doing in XCX, overwhelm me like XCX, it's nice to go out on a couple of missions, help the town grow, invest the revenue from all that probing and exploring into new gear, and, up until now at least, I'm not getting a sense of urgency like some stories bring very early on, when it makes it feel awkward to just ignore the story and fool around (the "fooling" around here makes sense, you are always helping the greater cause). I like the time and freedom they gave me in XCX.

Above Zelda, Super Mario, Metroid, Xenoblade is now the game to sell me on a new Nintendo console. No pressure Takahashi.

MoonFrog

What I want from a potential sequel is:

a) that it be story-driven, like he is saying.
b) that it has either a more tactical action combat system (with defined roles; smart ai/co-op/pausing) or that it is a return to the experiments Square was doing with turn based in the 90s (in Chrono Trigger/Cross and Xenogears). XC did a good job of making characters different and fun to play but the party tactics stuff needs work.
c) I'd love it if Mitsuda worked with them again. I miss his music.

Even if it isn't another Xeno RPG, these are the things I'd want Monolith to do. I haven't decided on purchasing XCX yet, but maybe if/when I do, it'll change my mind.

Y'all are crazy, I love the battle system of Chronicles and Xenoblade X. The only thing I wish X had was a story driven narrative and world design.

Zekes!

The lesser focus on story is actually a plus to me. Maybe it's because XCX has been giving me PSO vibes for some reason, and the story in that game is way in the background

Nightbird

As long as Sawano can do the Soundtrack again, I'm on board! :)

I would be either way, but God damn, I'm in love with the whole Soundtrack

rhandino

Banned
You should play more MMOs if you think that >.>

The customization is good. Not the battle system.
The only MMO I ever played was FFXIV but even after that Xenoblade combat still remains one of my favorite ones
followed by the one of FFXII, god I love that game so much...

idk, I could like something akin to Dragons Dogma or Monster Hunter since it lends so well to their monsters designs but after seeing how they improved combat in XenoX with the classes, targeting of body parts, long and short range weapons, the inclusion of more options to position playable characters and Skell combat I can't say I would like that they strayed away from it...

Also this:

LightheartedInexperiencedBettong.gif

Anyway, I would play anything they make since they already nailed how to make a lush and interesting world to traverse and explore.

... and also please keep the Skells, Mecha, Dolls... pleasE!

Eila

Tacky kill god stories are part of the JRPG experience I love. This western open world type of storytelling has never been of my interest.
So yeah, hope to see something like Xenoblade again on NX.

Diffense

I'm not far in XCX but I really like it so far. I'm glad its not a clone of Xenoblade. I can't say much about XCX's story but I like the vast open world. The game's armosphere is really different from the first. You really file like a pioneer in an unknown new world.

Fans can be deceptive because, often, they don't really want more of the same even when they think they do. So even if Monolithsoft opts to change the way the story progresses, I hope they continue to surprise us.

EDIT: And I like the music! Xenoblade had some really nice tracks and everything was tolerable. Yet some of them could have appeared in any JRPG. Sawano's compositions for X give it a very unique character.

Pif

Banned
As long as we get an up port of XCX on NX also. The game really suffers with pop in issues on Wii U.

Dark_castle

Can I have a story-rich, linear turn-based RPG instead please? You know, like Xenogears. Enough with the pseudo turn-based action hybrid with MMO style open world gameplay already.

Vitacat

3rd Xenoblade being planned is great news by itself!

I've only played X for a couple of hours, and love it. But I think making the 3rd game more like the Chronicles is a good choice.

KingBroly

Banned
So wait...is XCX not story driven? If so, I may return my CE.

From my understanding it was going to be, but they focused on putting online in it, which pushed character creation, which cut some of the story focus.

I could be wrong, though.

Where's the Iwata Asks in English for this?

;_;

Gu4n

After the epic and lengthy tales of Xenogears, Xenosaga and Xenoblade, I find Xenoblade X quite refreshing, actually.

As a 33 year old retired concertmaster violinist who absolutely loves classical music, I can say that your generalizations are not welcome.

Some people, like me, have eclectic tastes in music and enjoy music in a wide variety of different genres. Aside from classical music, I like jazz, funk, celtic, Indie pop, Latin, New Age, alternative rock, world, trance, electronic, blues, and many more.

It has nothing to do with underdeveloped tastes. My ears just have a broader palate than yours.

Diffense

The OP didn't include the most relevant quote (on the story) in the interview

In RPG development, the sections that cost the most are the cut scenes and events in the main story. Since this is Monolith Soft's first high-definition open world title, we decided to focus less on these and instead shift our resources into improving the quality of the gameplay - which is most important - especially the "hack and slash" combat. This is the reason that we decided to make the player's character an avatar without a real personality. In exchange, we focused on designing lots of quests, and added a lot of supporting characters related to these. Many people in the development team were involved with these supporting characters, and I think we have been able to give them all strong, distinct personalities.

As I said, I've not played far but I get the feeling that the story is not really "about you" in the same way Xenoblade was all about your main character, Shulk. Even if this shift was for pragmatic reasons I kind of like this perspective. Most JRPG main characters turn out to be extremely important in an almost over-the-top way with the fate of the whole world depending on them.

There is a sense in X that you are participating in events without necessarily being the focus of attention. Ironically it actually makes the situation feel more "epic" because its more realistic. If Earth were destroyed and you were a survivor you probably wouldn't have a magic solution you'd just be doing your part like everyone else. So I think the scenario complements the shift in narrative focus and helps it to work.

OmegaDL50

If they want to put more resources into a well-developed story then I suggest they focus less on the scope of the world next time.

From what I've heard about XCX, the world is impressive but overkill in its size.

Different teams do different things as part of development.

The few people that handle scenario and story writing duties aren't the same folks that are doing environment and world design. In this case one does not take away from the other because it's two completely different roles handled by two completely different teams as part of the studio.

Golnei

I'd not lament the loss of character creator if I got a well written main character again with personality.

Though I am really enjoying this open world thing they got going on. It is doable to have both, look at (GOTY winner) The Witcher 3.

I'd also be much more inclined to mourn the character creator if it were any good - I wasn't expecting it to be quite so limited.

Other than that, I'd welcome another voiced main character for the next game, and I wasn't a fan of Shulk at all - the silent protagonist leaves a bigger void than I'd have initially thought.

With how Xenoblade ends, there's really not much of a hook for a direct sequel. It's about as wrapped up as a story in games can get.

They should bring in Toriyama and get him to work his magic. The series needs a Shulk Returns.

Diffense

Different teams do different things as part of development.

The few people that handle scenario and story writing duties aren't the same folks that are doing environment and world design. In this case one does not take away from the other because it's two completely different roles handled by two completely different teams as part of the studio.

Yup. They work separately even though they are connected. I think the Iwata Asks interview brought out that the people in charge of the world design introduced new settings at the behest of the scenario writers because they wanted certain interesting locations for story events.

Which begins me to a point about our SOUNDBYTE based world that reduces everything to catchphrases and bars people from comprehending anything that's even slightly subtle. Xenoblade X does have a main story and the characters are fleshed out but it's not presented exactly like Xenoblade's story. The main narrative does not DOMINATE in the same way as the previous game but, I repeat, the game is not without a story. It's not Monster Hunter.

Golnei said:
Other than that, I'd welcome another voiced main character for the next game, and I wasn't a fan of Shulk at all - the silent protagonist leaves a bigger void than I'd have initially thought.
I agree that the game would have been slightly improved if the main character had voiced phrases for the options you selected for him/her during conversations. There might be pragmatic reasons why this isn't the case since they shifted to the avatar in the middle of development. The MC is chatty in battle but silent otherwise.

Top Bottom