• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas lawmaker proposes changing the Moon's or Earth's orbit to combat climate change

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Do you realize that the sites you quoted talk about the axis spin and not about the Earth "drifting out of orbit"?

I understand the mistake the lawmaker made. However, in the WaPo article I linked, the lawmaker claims he spoke with Jim Brindstine ex head of NASA, and part of Jim’s theories around climate change not being entirely man made were around the axis spin drift.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I understand the mistake the lawmaker made. However, in the WaPo article I linked, the lawmaker claims he spoke with Jim Brindstine ex head of NASA, and part of Jim’s theories around climate change not being entirely man made were around the axis spin drift.
I'm talking about your post, not the lawmaker. Your description of your link does not match the link itself.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I'm talking about your post, not the lawmaker. Your description of your link does not match the link itself.

I am bringing the axis spin drift because that is the actual issue that is supposedly altering the orbit of the moon change relatively to the earth.

Use of ΔLOD(t) as an additional constraint on ΔJ2(t)

Lunar Laser Ranging (LLR) has been operating since 1970 and has provided accurate determination of the rate of slowing of the axial rotation by the transfer of angular momentum from Earth to the lunar orbit by tidal dissipation (46). The slowing may, for example, be expressed as ω3(t) = Ω[1 + m3(t)]. The rate of deceleration Embedded Image is effectively secular on a time scale of 10 million years. Although the rate of slowing is roughly consistent with ancient eclipse observations that constrain the secular ΔLOD(t) (33), there is a systematic offset in the time of recorded eclipses (47).

I believe 100% that we need to do everything that is possible to combat climate change, but also dismissing the fact that the orbit of the moon relative to the earth has an effect just because a cucko lawmaker named it is pretty dumb.

Bragr

Banned
And these are the people in charge of running cities and states. Amazing. I can understand politician being dumb as rocks when it comes to business and budgets since they have bottomless pockets of spending. But add science to that too.

On the other hand, just call Superman.

That scream is awesome.

I didn't know that time reversed if the Earth rotated the other way around though, learn something new every day.

GeekyDad

Wow...

Thought shit was crazy when I was younger. I truly feel empathy for the young people of this generation, that this sort of thing will have to be considered. It may be laughable right now, but it's out there. It and other similar ideas may eventually gain traction if they are presented by more reliable people in a more logical fashion.

Whew.

MastaKiiLA

That scream is awesome.

I didn't know that time reversed if the Earth rotated the other way around though, learn something new every day.
Duh. Didn't you know that time works in reverse on Venus? That's why the Russian Venus probes all failed relatively quickly. They weren't prepped for time inversion like in the movie Tenet.

I am bringing the axis spin drift because that is the actual issue that is supposedly altering the orbit of the moon change relatively to the earth.

I believe 100% that we need to do everything that is possible to combat climate change, but also dismissing the fact that the orbit of the moon relative to the earth has an effect just because a cucko lawmaker named it is pretty dumb.
Given that we've had multiple ice ages in the past, I think it's clear that climate change isn't a new thing. However, there's just no more conclusive trend than the rapid rise in CO2 post-industrial revolution. So, I think that's why we finger humans as the current cause. I've seen studies on how axial tilt affects seasons and thus the climate, but the Earth's axis is in a state of constant precession, so I assumed scientists would've correlated the position of the axis with the various cooling/warming cycles throughout history. I think if there was strong correlation, we would know about it by now.

He has Netflix for sure.
hTcGkRj.jpg
Thanks for reminding me of that crap.

AngelaLifman

Neo Member
Forget the political side here, we ditched that sub-forum. This level of stupidity is gobsmacking and worthy of a deep and long yet soul crushing laugh.

Source

Never even heard of such a thing before! I wonder what he would say about invasive species and what solution would he suggest? I think he should get a little more familiar with environmental issues on this website (as I usually do). I would like to hear the opinion of the international community for the protection of nature with regard to this judgment.

My word that lady held her composure, getting fired or not I would have just answered with manical laughter for 5 minutes straight.

Never even heard of such a thing before! I wonder what he would say about invasive species and what solution would he suggest? I think he should get a little more familiar with environmental issues!

Romulus

We're locked into orbit by objects that are unbelievably massive, like the sun. It's the size of 300,000+ Earths and would take a jetliner 20 years at nonstop full power to do a complete circle.
This guy probably thinks Texas is bigger than the sun and he can fire his shotgun at it. "Hell, I can see it, why cant I shoot it? Weaken the sun, cool the planet."

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Easily the dumbest thing I've heard all week. Could even be the most dumbest thing I ever hear in my life.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Easily the dumbest thing I've heard all week. Could even be the most dumbest thing I ever hear in my life.
The idea is monumentally dumb, but then who he is asking makes the thing just spectacularly dumb.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
We're locked into orbit by objects that are unbelievably massive, like the sun. It's the size of 300,000+ Earths and would take a jetliner 20 years at nonstop full power to do a complete circle.
This guy probably thinks Texas is bigger than the sun and he can fire his shotgun at it. "Hell, I can see it, why cant I shoot it? Weaken the sun, cool the planet."
What about two jetliners?

Tschumi

Right.

Because that'll fix it.

Higher or lower tides, axial wobble.

I hope the 2 pages of comments here don't contain a single person saying it might have an effect lol.. for pity's sake let nobody here be that stupid or algorithmic

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Right.

Because that'll fix it.

Higher or lower tides, axial wobble.

I hope the 2 pages of comments here don't contain a single person saying it might have an effect lol.. for pity's sake let nobody here be that stupid or algorithmic
I’m algorithmic. Stop oppressing me

Top Bottom