• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That Bloodrayne project Arc System Works teased is a Japanese release of Betrayal

Levito

Banned
The site's countdown timer is up, and if you look in the gallery, it's just Way Forward's Bloodrayne Betrayal that came out a few years ago.

ss09.png

ss01.png

ss07.png

That's a bummer.

BY2K

Membero Americo
To be fair, we're the ones that got excited for a Japanese teaser that ASW didn't hype up on social medias.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
why they used a different looking Bloodrayne outfit for the teaser page then. :/

anyway I guess the only good thing here is that Majesco still want to sell Bloodrayne games. but yeah, this is meh.

Gbraga

Shit, I was actually hoping it would be a game kinda like Betrayal but made by them.

Oh well, it's a great game, hope they enjoy it.

Totally did not expect that aside from all the people that were saying it was highly likely it would be the case but I didn't listen and set myself up for disappointment.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Enjoy the game Japan. Despite some flaws with the way the game handles it is a fun ride.

Sad that it's not a new game. Oh, well, enjoy it Japan. It's one of my favorite downloadable games for the PlayStation 3/Xbox 360. I absolutely loved it. I might actually go replay it now. Hah. I should probably also finish BloodRayne 2...

It'd be nice if this game does well in Japan and gets Arc System Works to make a sequel themselves, but that's highly doubtful...but one can always hope, right? Hah. Oh, well.

oh well hope we at least get some new artwork from Arcsys artist.

Like this?

I had to look at the page source of the official site to get the link for it. It's used as the background there.
I wonder if there will be any other new art from them. I also wonder why they didn't use her actual costume from the game for the art. I guess they just liked the original costume more...

This is what her costume in the game actually looks like: http://robduenas.deviantart.com/art/BloodRayne-Betrayal-231753161

Korigama

Huh, pity. Even though I enjoyed Betrayal (one of the few on GAF who did), I would've expected Arc to have enough eye for detail to base the promo art revealed for it on Rayne's look in this game, instead of giving people the wrong impression by basing it on her old design.
Art more appealing to Japanese audiences I guess
Shows more skin, so I suppose it would get more attention.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I just remember Betrayal being hard as shit and that it felt like it could have been a great Metroidvania game instead.

Coda

Yeah that's unfortunate, I never played Bloodrayne: Betrayal even though I was mildly interested in it.

TnK

Huh, pity. Even though I enjoyed Betrayal (one of the few on GAF who did), I would've expected Arc to have enough eye for detail to base the promo art revealed for it on Rayne's look in this game, instead of giving people the wrong impression by basing it on her old design.

Shows more skin, so I suppose it would get more attention.
I am also one of the very few that enjoyed the game.

Will never understand the hate it gets. It is a very competent platformer/hacknslash

TnK

OK, somebody really needs to explain why BR:B is a bad game. It gets so much hate here, and I will never understand why.

I found it really fun because it was a mix between Megaman Zero and Muramasa. Fun game all around.

Silky

Banned
OK, somebody really needs to explain why BR:B is a bad game. It gets so much hate here, and I will never understand why.

I found it really fun because it was a mix between Megaman Zero and Muramasa. Fun game all around.

The game possessed extremely frustrating controls which did nothing for players who had trouble with the difficulty. I don't mind a challenging game but I'm not going to enjoy a game's difficulty if you don't provide a competent enough control system. Everything from platforming to combat felt very loose and sporadic. Not a fun game at all.

The platforming felt very floaty, which I don't mind in a game such as this but stringing combos against enemies felt worthless when you attempt to launch them in the air and your jumping height varies with. For some reason the game felt the necessity to not let me use the analog stick to move either. There's no sense of control in Rayne's movements when you can't control the speed of her walking (she goes IMMEDIATELY into sprint for no fucking reason) and making her stop running takes too damn long.

Why would you make platforming segments that you can't even go through without taking hits because the game decides to not include a lot of stuff that makes platforming in an action platformer better. I mean for fuck's sake SOTN has better platforming than that game.

Combat. Yeah Rayne doesn't have a block button and her dodging system is fucking useless. Doesn't help that the game throws an endless surplus of enemies for no reason. It's not even the type of game you'd expect to have intense hordes of enemies.

It also doesn't help that the game's environments felt very bland and repetitive. Enemy design was lacking as well.

I liked Betrayal as well (and like most of WayForward's games), but even I had some issues with it. The repetitive environments (using the same background/music across multiple stages) and even more repetitive enemy encounters with just different configurations of the exact same enemies repeatedly made the game feel old quick. After you got about halfway through the game, you'd seen just about all of its tricks.

Combine that with the slow attack animations that aren't able to be cancelled, and you end up with a game that's going to frustrate 1/3 of gamers, bore another 1/3 and leave the rest, like me, thinking it's pretty OK.

Betrayal was being pushed (not necessarily by WayForward, I blame the gaming media mostly) as an homage to Castlevania. Well, they got the gothic atmosphere and maybe some musical influence, but missed the boat on everything else.

Korigama

Movement controls could've been tightened up a bit, yeah, and the platforming did annoy me at points. Those stupid drones that flew in just to make platforming harder were the only enemy type that really bothered me. That's about the extent of my own personal gripes.

Barakov

Gold Member
Well, that is disappointing. :/

I'd pay good money for a 2-D Arc System Works developed Bloodrayne.

dorikyasu

BloodRayne Betrayal
How appropriate...
It would have been so awesome to see ASW's take on BR license rather than simple region port of same game.

nu8Q0.gif

Goddamn it. Why you do this to me Arc System Works? I bought BlazBlue like 4 times and I'm getting Persona 4 Arena. I just want an action game from you guys that's all.

Top Bottom