• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"That escalated [briefly]" | Games with noticeably short periods of HYPE | Short-term craze titles

Tschumi

I thought it might be fun to have a more open opinion-giving thread to distract us from the kinda static information coming out about the next gen consoles atm. Might be forcing it somewhat, but worth a try I deem. I was browsing steam yesterday and saw Microsoft Flight Simulator - it occurred to me that this game seems to have had a short HYPE window. I remember a month or two back we were really going off on M:FS having fantastic graphics (consoles may have come into it, I don't remember~) but, thanks of course to new console information coming out, and perhaps a few things happening outside the purview of this gaming forum, the game has since fallen by the wayside a wee bit. Another such recent game might be Watch Dogs Legion?

Now, before I move on to the point of my OP I just wanna add here: This 'hype' window is from my perspective, and kinda looking at density of mentions on this board, I'm certain there are people out there who are uber-hyped for M:FS to this day, and all power to them. That's besides the point of my thread here.

Anyway the point of my OP:
What are some games you can think of that burned brightly, but briefly?

Maybe their gameplay was a blast but quickly lost it's novelty? Maybe the gameplay promised much but delivered little? Maybe a great proportion of the audience expressing excitement were not the types who would actually come to play the game post release? Maybe they released just a short time before a much more popular game came out and eclipsed them? Maybe they were a lot of hot air?

oemkNrj.jpg

Larlight

LA Noire. The concept leading up to its release seemed amazing. Advanced facial mocap that allows you to really SEE the different facial animations in order to figure out who is lying to solve crimes would have been peak entertainment. Too bad the rest of the game didn’t shine as well. Lots of repetitive gameplay loops that made it a chore to finish.

Last edited:

kretos

Banned
Dragon's Dogma, started great with the boss fight at the begining and thought this game would be great, but then went downhill and boring real fast, played 4 hours and couldn't stand it and dropped it

one of the most boring games from Capcom really

Last edited:
Did Watch Dogs Legion suffer this? I remember being interested in the reveal and totally forgot it had come out/didn't notice it had come out - and thought it might have crashed and burned. (Maybe it did, I know I should have searched for other threads.)

I checked out Metacritic briefly (sue me), and almost all the Playstation good reviews from it are sites I've never heard of.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Anthem.
The Order: 1886.
No Man's Sky, though to be fair, that game has really turned itself around but it's left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.
Red Steel.
Brink.
Too Human(stand and be counted).

Last edited:
Anthem.
The Order: 1886.
No Man's Sky, though to be fair, that game has really turned itself around but it's left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.
Red Steel.
Brink.
Too Human(stand and be counted).

Brink definitely promised too much by setting the expectation of a working multiplayer game. :/ Did love the art style, though.

Order:1886 probably just bored anyone who played it with its mediocrity, despite the possibilities of the setting and visual fidelity.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Post-release, TLoU2.

It’s settled into a The Last Jedi-like rhythm where it’s biggest supporters are still going, as well as the media element, and it’s likewise doing well for itself in sales, but if you ask most people about it, or what their favorite game of the year is, it’s just kind of a meh.

Halo Infinite was the definition of a brief flicker of hope. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I also think people got really amped for Watch Dogs with its pretty beautiful ray tracing, before being reminded, within days, that it was an Ubisoft game, and coming back to their senses.

Last edited:
Top Bottom