• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*That* Geoff Keighley interview with Reggie 'My Body Is Not Ready' Fils-Aime

Shurs

Would have been cool if he'd asked if you can have more than one tablet connected to the system at a time.

megamerican

He didn't necessarily ask "tough" questions, but he asked the right questions, and kept applying pressure when met with non-answers / spin. He didn't seem like he had any sort of agenda besides getting as much information as possible.

Grisby

SalsaShark said:
people hate Geoff or something?

he might just be the best and most professional journalist out there

Yeah, Geoff is pretty good. Also, he wrote those excellent behind the scenes articles.

Riposte

Shurs said:
He's the Executive Producer for the Spike VGAs, so...

I can't think of any videogame award ceremony which is better than Spike VGAs. They are all pretty "bad", except Spike VGA doesn't have any pretensions and has a good excuse to be bad(on (Spike) TV).

Kintaco

hyduK said:
He did alright, tbh. Reggie doesn't give him any room.
I agree he did alright, but at some points he seemed a bit unprofessional talking to Reggie like they were buddies at a bar, but I don't consider him being a tough interview. He busted Reggie's chops a bit but nothing more. But I agree it was a decent interview.

Shurs

Riposte said:
I can't think of any videogame award ceremony which is better than Spike VGAs. They are all pretty "bad", except Spike VGA doesn't have any pretensions and has a good excuse to be bad(on (Spike) TV).

It's an embarrassment, and it shows how little respect he has for his audience.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Danthrax said:
Yeah. He earned back a little of my respect for him, which he lost yesterday when he said Rayman Origins shouldn't have been featured in Ubisoft's conference. >=(
Hey hey hey, hold on. Geoff didn't say that. That was Shane Satterfield, who is an idiot.

duk

Banned
so 2012 launch for WiiU... hmmm... nintendo has 4 concurrent platforms, wonder how they will deal with each coexisting with each other.

Wow, Geoff is really pushing Reggie here. Kinda ballsy move, Reggie is dong alright so far too (first part)

duk said:
so 2012 launch for WiiU... hmmm... nintendo has 4 concurrent platforms, wonder how they will deal with each coexisting with each other.

DS and Wii are pretty much dead already and WiiU is a YEAR away

Kintaco

I don't know why people were going nuts about the controller being in the same room as the console, I didn't take that from the interview at all. It seems more like a conservative answer especially after comparing it to the Wiimote's range.

Also I like that Reggie mentions that the third parties will talk about the online features, because Riccitiello said some pretty key things regarding online play at the conference.

def sim

This is a good interview when it comes to gaming "journalism."

Otherwise I'm in the camp that says this is all very normal. He asked what needed to be asked, said what needed to be said, but didn't overstep his boundaries.

Riposte said:

No. VGA is an embarrassment to gamers and gaming as a whole. He also has a fit of being as asshole, evasive and confrontational when being questioned about how much it sucks. He is one of those really despicable people and is undeserving of respect from anyone.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I can't check the videos right now in the office, but did he ask about Xenoblade?

That's the only tough question I want an answer to right now. :D

Chao

Geoff fucking hated the WiiU reveal and it shows. Right after the conference finished he said how disappointed he felt about it, the lack of Smash Bros or other Nintendo games for the Wii U or online plans etc.

Darryl

Banned
Kinda felt bad for Reggie. Geoff was asking a lot of questions that I'm sure Reggie wasn't prepared or even allowed to answer.

Shurs

Riposte said:
Why aim at all? Why are you watching TV for videogames if you are jaded enough to be on NeoGAF?

Why not try to elevate the way people look at the medium?

Why show such little respect for your audience?

I, for one, would like to see video games looked at as more than toys or time-wasters.

As I said in my first post in this thread, I think Keighley is very capable, but he often encompasses most of what I don't like about the press.

Chao said:
Geoff fucking hated the WiiU reveal and it shows. Right after the conference finished he said how disappointed he felt about it, the lack of Smash Bros or other Nintendo games for the Wii U or online plans etc.

He seemed to have the same stance that many others had which is that he likes the controller but Nintendo really didn't answer any other questions. What type of power does it have? What about Nintendo's games? What does the online look like. The system has a ton of unanswered questions which is why many are just confused by its unveiling.

Tiktaalik

MetatronM said:
I can't check the videos right now in the office, but did he ask about Xenoblade?

That's the only tough question I want an answer to right now. :D

I'm also in the office and don't have time to watch. Did Xenoblade/Last Story get brought up?

Geoff's a good interviewer, when he's not accounting for the lowest common denominators. He gets a lot of hate, but I dunno, I like him.

Effect

SolidSnakex said:
He seemed to have the same stance that many others had which is that he likes the controller but Nintendo really didn't answer any other questions. What type of power does it have? What about Nintendo's games? What does the online look like. The system has a ton of unanswered questions which is why many are just confused by its unveiling.

Here's the thing though. It's still a ways away from being released and Nintendo is known for having their own events where they fully talk about their systems and games in more detail. It's not like we wouldn't hear anything. Not like they could take up several hours to go over everything and just run off numbers. That would be boring. Does Nintendo ever go into full detail about anything when they first reveal it?

Tiktaalik

Tiktaalik said:
I'm also in the office and don't have time to watch. Did Xenoblade/Last Story get brought up?

Ok I watched the second video and he says that Wii games weren't the focus of this show, but they are going to bring out more Wii games before Zelda.

There is some hope I suppose...

I really wish he pushed to question that part of the reason the Wii didn't have the same games was the power disparity between the 360/PS3 and the Wii. So while Wii U has caught up to this gen, what happens when the PS4 and Xbox 720 come out and the issue once again crops up?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
That was an AMAZING interview.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Geoff interviewed like a true pro, not often have I seen such an intense and relevant line of questions. On the other hand, Reggie dealt like a champ, very few times I got the impression that he let away more than he would have wanted.

Reggie is well media trained, like most spokespeople for big corporations. The likes of Geoff are among the toughest ones they throw in media training at you, I had once this hard as nails Swedish senior journalist whom they had flown over in an attempt to break our cool.

Effect said:
Here's the thing though. It's still a ways away from being released and Nintendo is known for having their own events where they fully talk about their systems and games in more detail. It's not like we wouldn't hear anything. Not like they could take up several hours to go over everything and just run off numbers. That would be boring. Does Nintendo ever go into full detail about anything when they first reveal it?

Obviously we're going to learn more, but I was pointing out why he didn't seem over the top enthusiastic about it. When Nintendo's conference was over it really did feel like Nintendo wasn't really ready to unveil it. They didn't really have a lot to show or talk about outside of the controller. I understand that it's going to be the systems main selling point, but people were definitely going to have a lot more questions about the system.

I think the conference did do it's job in the sense that Nintendo now has the attention of the "core" crowd (which I don't think they ever had with the Wii). We'll just have to see how they handle that from here on out.

Jade Ryan

Banned
Chittagong said:
Geoff interviewed like a true pro, not often have I seen such an intense and relevant line of questions. On the other hand, Reggie dealt like a champ, very few times I got the impression that he let away more than he would have wanted.

Reggie is well media trained, like most spokespeople for big corporations. The likes of Geoff are among the toughest ones they throw in media training at you, I had once this hard as nails Swedish senior journalist whom they had flown over in an attempt to break our cool.

hehe.. you win.

syoaran

The interview was good. Geoff completely missed the pitch with both Tretton & Mattrick, the later of which was puzzling considering the train wreck that was the Microsoft conference. Where were the questions about new security for the PSN, where were the questions about the lack of content for the core 360. Where are all the Japanese developed games in these conferences etc etc

It's difficult to rate a guy as a good journalist based on one interview. If this is the tone for the rest, I'd happily tune in to see more. If this was just because he didn't like Nintendo then I can't really take anything he says seriously.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Must be said though, his Don Mattrick interview was so cuddly it could have been a buddy movie. Maybe it's just just that Don is such a lovable thing he doesn't inspire kicking ass and taking names

Just finished Part 1... Geoff is trolling hard...

"Will developers out of Japan be able to deliver experiences like Halo or Uncharted?..."

Reggie: Just look at the garden demo

"So who made that demo... was it RETROOOO?"

Oh man hahaha.

Darryl

Banned
Dies Iræ said:
The smirk on Reggie's face when he refers to Wii U as "a box" is priceless.

nintendo must've realized that it's never mattered what's inside the box, just what plays on it.

Top Bottom