• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*That* Geoff Keighley interview with Reggie 'My Body Is Not Ready' Fils-Aime

Geoff asks Reggie the questions many have been wondering not only this E3 (questions about the Wii 2 such as its price) but through this entire generation from Nintendo.

Reggie makes the first strike at 2mins 06seconds into the interview.

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Quite an entertaining and surprisingly confrontational/tense interview. Body language was also interesting.

334523-geoff_large.jpg

Andrefpvs

Yup. Definitive increased respect gained for Geoff today. He asked the question we wanted to hear (and obviously the ones Reggie didn't want to hear).

FoneBone

He asks a lot of hard questions, but he lets what I thought was Reggie's biggest crock of shit slide - when asked about paying for exclusivity/exclusive features, Reggie goes on about how "first-party games drive adoption". Well, sure, but if you can't give a reason why people should buy multiplatform games on Wii U as opposed to PS3 or 360, you're not going to keep third parties around past the first 12-18 months.

FoneBone said:
He asks a lot of hard questions, but he lets what I thought was Reggie's biggest crock of shit slide - when asked about paying for exclusivity/exclusive features, Reggie goes on about how "first-party games drive adoption". Well, sure, but if you can't give a reason why people should buy multiplatform games on Wii U as opposed to PS3 or 360, you're not going to keep third parties around past the first 12-18 months.

I said it earlier but I think the Wii 2 isn't a device to draw the 360/PS3 consumers towards Nintendo's ecosystem but rather prevent the opposite happening; "we have the HD hardcore games already here for you". It's really an attempt to solidify their portfolio so they don't lose market share/customers to their rivals. That's the primary objective I feel

its disappointing that spike tv isnt playing keighley's coverage but is instead playing reruns of terrible shows. g4 coverage is a nightmare to watch in comparison.

FoneBone

Meus Renaissance said:
I said it earlier but I think the Wii 2 isn't a device to draw the 360/PS3 consumers towards Nintendo's ecosystem but rather prevent the opposite happening; "we have the HD hardcore games already here for you". It's really an attempt to solidify their portfolio so they don't lose market share/customers to their rivals. That's the primary objective I feel
Fair enough, but I'm skeptical that there are nearly enough Wii owners who want PS3/360 franchises but don't own a PS3 or 360 to make that a viable market.

I appreciate that interview, but coming after that, he was serving softballs to the Vita devs just as badly as other journalists.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
V_Ben said:
He really is a great interviewer, and this enforced that. Really asked the right things.

Yeah. He earned back a little of my respect for him, which he lost yesterday when he said Rayman Origins shouldn't have been featured in Ubisoft's conference. >=(

Lucis

Meus Renaissance said:

the world of console does not work that way, when new generation come, what happened last generation usually doesn't apply. usually.

farnham

Banned
wow reggie gets slaughtered by geoff

good job

i bet geoff was thinking "you are in sooo much trouble" all the time

offshore

It was a good interview, and Reggie not really committing to saying anything about online, despite being asked numerous times, was pretty alarming.

bjb

Banned
Much respect for Geoff after this interview.

As I've said already today, he really exposed Nintendo, as well as pointing out many of their current ups and downs.

clav

Geoff: Now so did you guys basically admit this morning that the Wii wasn't successful with core gamers?

Reggie: Absolutely not! We've sold over 86 million units across the world.

Geoff: Right.

Reggie: That... by achieving that level of effectiveness, we're not constrained to any one particular consumer segment.

Geoff: You're saying this could be even bigger. You should be saying you missed out some people for the Wii.

Reggie: What I'm saying is that there has been some fantastic content that has not come to our platform.

Geoff: Right.

Reggie: Third party publishers have told us that the reason they couldn't bring it to our platform was based on the the horsepower of the machine.

That excuse is gone.

So now, all of the best content from third party publishers can come to the machine.

------

Later, in part 3, Reggie gets a bit flustered at Geoff when asked about online and says that the Wii consumers ones today are different from the ones who bought it at launch.

------

Nintendo will supposedly say a lot more in the coming days regarding its online functionality, which has been a problem in comparison to XBL/PSN.

Seda

Geoff interviews like this often. I remember an interview with Casey Hudson over Mass Effect 2 before it released where he was relentlessly asking questions about the state of Shepard and company among other things before we really knew anything about the game. And I don't man he was casually wondering, he was in Hudson's face about it.

Fjordson

I don't know what it is, but Reggie always seems like one smooth mother fucker to me (not quite as much in this interview, but yeah). Don't even agree with everything he says, but the dude knows how to conversate.

Anyways, really good interview.

Shurs

Keighley is an enigma.

He'll sometimes ask tough questions, other times he happily slides into the role of a glorified pitchman.

yurinka

Wow, the xbot doing a good interview. That's new.
Shurs said:
Keighley is an enigma.

He'll sometimes ask tough questions, other times he happily slides into the role of a glorified pitchman.
It depends on who is the interviewed, if he is interested or not.

He also interviewed today Vita's Uncharted, Modnation Racers and Sound Shapes and almost ignored them.

Keighley is a really mixed bag for me. He has the ability to ask good questions, and sometimes does, but then he'll ask such baited/loaded questions and can occasionally come off as a real prick.

Meus Renaissance said:

They should have thought about that 5-6 years ago. When the new consoles come out it will be Wii 2.0

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
AlphaTwo00 said:
I appreciate that interview, but coming after that, he was serving softballs to the Vita devs just as badly as other journalists.
Softballs to devs are fine. But when the CEOs come on, they definitely need to be grilled.

Geoff and reggie belong together, both are pretty smart and good speakers.
Most interviewers are too scared of reggie to ask him questions and most industry figures are too boring and awkward compared to reggie so there's not much conversation to get out of them.

Salsa

people hate Geoff or something?

he might just be the best and most professional journalist out there

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
User33 said:
I'd have more respect for him if he did that with every head of the Big 3. That was a great interview. Unfortunately he interviewed Jack Tretton and sucked up to him the whole time.
He still got Tretton to say Agent probably isn't exclusive and the Vita launch timeframe. He got the goods.

I am so sick of that Tomb Raider teaser.

This is a great interview though, I caught the end of it so thanks for the links to the beginning sections

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I like that Keighley was very confrontational about getting confirmation whether Nintendo's internal teams were already creating high production HD content and not just 1080p Wii games. "Did EAD make the Zelda demo?" "Who made the bird demo? EAD? Retro?"

They are valid concerns.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I love how Reggie keeps on pressing the idea that Nintendo big E3 message isn't for people who are watching the online streams.

J-Rock

Banned
Good interview though. Really looking forward to the Roundtable tonight and tomorrow. Hopefully hear about that online info.

farnham

Banned
Ahoi-Brause said:
Geoff and reggie belong together, both are pretty smart and good speakers.
Most interviewers are too scared of reggie to ask him questions and most industry figures are too boring and awkward compared to reggie so there's not much conversation to get out of them.
no

but i gotta say he kinda manages to defend the trainwreck strategy that nintendo is following right now

he is kinda skilled in that way

Woffls

Geoff is pretty rad, but I doubt anyone would be able to do better than Reggie did right there, especially because there were so many questions that Nintendo haven't quite addressed.

I think letting 3rd parties tout the online and specs is absolutely the right move. It means nothing coming from Nintendo themselves, and ultimately it's the 3rd parties that have a bigger voice at the moment in the market.

[edit] Also, the garden demo is at about 5:30 and looks incredible. Not seen a better quality video of it yet.

Top Bottom