• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That graffiti-like "S" symbol everyone (?) drew in grade school

Status
Not open for further replies.
9WwyEqA.png

1. What is it.

2. Where did this originate.

3. How widespread was this?

I remember seeing this as early as kindergarten; friend of mine drew it and I thought it was cool, then he showed me the "six line" method and the rest was history.

Ever since, I've wondered about its origin.

frye

That thing has been discussed on the internet for ages but I don't think there's any real consensus on its origin. The Stussy logo is often-cited but I don't think that's it.

Jacob

I've drawn that in countless notebooks but I have no idea where I first saw it, much less what it's actual origin is.

Also, I knew what this thread would be about before I clicked on it, just based on the title. I guess it goes to show how common this symbol is. :lol

Valnen

I've seen that in pretty much every school growing up. I want to know how widespread it is.

Six line method was the most popular way of drawing it.

Majine

Banned
I used to draw the two edges like they go behind the middle part, rather than just stopping them as in the pic above. Made them look more gothic or summin.

Paper Fox

I remember drawing it in primary school here in Australia (like almost 20 odd years ago). And if your name started with "S" that meant you were extra cool.

I was always told it was the Superman logo. But then, I never watched Superman enough to verify that, so I always call it the Superman logo, even though it's far from the truth. lol

I used to draw the two edges like they go behind the middle part, rather than just stopping them as in the pic above. Made them look more gothic or summin.

That's how everyone I knew drew it, too.

MIMIC

Banned
OH. MY. GOD.

I remember spending WAY too much time trying to draw one of those when I was in elementary/middle school. I don't think I ever figured it out ;_;

bideogamer

Neo Member
OH. MY. GOD.

I remember spending WAY too much time trying to draw one of those when I was in elementary/middle school. I don't think I ever figured it out ;_;

Comn now, they are super easy. 2 vertical rows of 3 lines, connect em. Bam, you got that... thing.

its called a Super Stussy though at my school in SoCal it was just called a "stussy"

My theory is that we were all experimented on by aliens that programmed that symbol into our heads

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
yeah i remember doing that too. i think i did it wrong so many times that i never learned how to do it correctly.

dc89

:O I used to draw that. Maybe I still can.

I remember you started it by drawing the two rows of 3 vertical lines.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
My dad forbade use from drawing this symbol, said it was associated with gangs around the area where we lived.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I saw it in a graphic designer's notebook like a month ago, completely at random. I thought to myself, "oh wow, that's a throwback! I used to draw that all the time!" And I grew up in Germany, so it's a multicultural thing.

The ominous S is at least as old as the very early 80s and as widespread as Eastern North Carolina. With a 1st name that started with S I drew this regularly. Prior to this thread I thought (maybe) I created it myself. Obviously not! Now I want to know the story. I had variations like adding a snake/dragon head and tail and trying to create other letters in the same style.

I "taught" others the secret.

edit: I think it might be "Pokemon Z" curled under the roots sleeping

thefit

Its been around since I can remember I personally saw it etched in many a desk in middle school in the 80's and probably drew it a couple of times myself. Its just and S that has a cool way of being drawn. My guess is that it was brought back from prison culture in the early eighties specifically in the cholo Surenos culture but that's just my guess

I remember it being pretty popular for a while. I never knew how to do until I aged passed the fad though. Everyone was knocking tables to the beat in grindin' by clipse in junior high it was popular as hell in my school

GavinGT

Banned
The kid that showed me how to do it in first grade invented it. Or at least he said he did, and I have no reason not to believe him. He was very reputable for a first grader, always prepared for show-and-tell and always stood in the right place when we were told to line up in alphabetical order.

commedieu

Banned
Should we have an age check?

29 here.. Class of 2001.. definitely drew this bad boy.. maybe early highschool/late grammar school.

edit;

I remember a mexican gang affiliation with it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom