• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That one bloody awesome sequence in Ninja Gaiden 2

Corpsepyre

Banned
One of my all time favourite sequences in any game is the stairway massacre in the later level of Ninja Gaiden 2. The part where the framerate goes down to 10 or less and you're slaughtering enemies coming down from the stairs, left and right. The joy of tearing them apart with the most grisly attacks and ultraviolent fuckery at your disposal was insurmountable. The game just couldn't top that part again. The later games really dropped the ball on the combat. As much as I hate Itagaki for making the toughest, most head shaking game series out there, Ninja Gaiden really needs him back.

At times I want to plug in the 360 again so I can play that sequence again. What bliss.

Please tell me I'm not alone in this.

OnPoint

Ninja_Gaiden_2_NES_ScreenShot2.jpg

This how I would apply that thread title.

Corpsepyre

Banned
The claws were so fucking ass kicking the its not even funny. Especially to use in the sequence mentioned. So much chaos.

Syf

Banned
There was so much to love in that game. Beating the staircase with the falcon's talons was such a boss moment.

I played that sequence over and over. Probably the most satisfying thing in a character action game ever.

Also the FPS didn't drop to 10. It definitely did fall, but that game had some real weird feature where it would go into slow motion if it couldn't handle what was going on, instead of dropping the framerate into unplayable numbers. http://youtu.be/gLYJ02lHH6E?t=5m31s

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Pity they patched that sequence to fix the framerate, reducing the insane number of enemies by a bunch.

If you do replay it, don't install the patch until after you beat that area.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I played that sequence over and over. Probably the most satisfying thing in a character action game ever.

Also the FPS didn't drop to 10. It definitely did fall, but that game had some real weird feature where it would go into slow motion if it couldn't handle what was going on, instead of dropping the framerate into unplayable numbers.

I see. They fucked it up in the ps3 version as well. Only a few enemies came, and I was left disappointed.

Hell yes, the reckless way Itagaki and crew threw you in there with so many enemies, knowing full well that it is both completely awesome, and technically compromised was a genuinely epic, memorable moment for me.

I love how reviews tried to call this part out as a problem, it was anything but. It also stands as a shining example to me why having a perfectly stable framerate isn't always the best direction, sometimes bringing the system to its knees is just as fun and impressive. Perhaps if they had only shown through cut-scenes that transition smoothly into the slo-mo, that this was intentional, it would have been more easily understood.

Eolz

I love how in those games, when you use non-slicing weapons, you can hear heads exploding like watermelons. There was a lot of good sound design.

But yeah, still play NG2 from time to time, more interesting than its sigma counterpart imo.

Mechazawa

A lot of people loved the staircase in NG2.

I didn't really care for the slowdown.

I've seen people say that if you liken it to the framerate crawl in something like a Metal Slug game or a bullet hell shooter, it makes much more sense.

I wonder how difficult that sequence, with the same amount of enemies, would be at full speed.

Corpsepyre

Banned
This game was/is so awesome. I loved all the boss fights in this game and goodlord the difficulty made beating this game actually mean something.

Tell me about it. I remember beating it, and then the crappy ending played. But I didn't care. I was just happy I had beaten the game. Felt like an accomplishment.

NG2 360 is second to none for gore for a reason. Everything felt right, just about. It's unmatched in that regard, shame they changed it so much for PS3. Really wish if MGR gets a sequel, they'd try to up the ante for blood n' gutz. Put the two together, and it'd be something special, I tell you.

Gaz_RB

OK I need to play Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2. It's time to man up. Is 360 the best way to go into it? I also have a PS3.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I've seen people say that if you liken it to the framerate crawl in something like a Metal Slug game or a bullet hell shooter, it makes much more sense.

I wonder how difficult that sequence, with the same amount of enemies, would be at full speed.

I guess that makes sense. I think I'd just rather have that sequence going at full speed in general. I don't really like non-intentional slowdown during gameplay (and I don't think it was intentional... NG2 essentially being shipped unfinished is the reason that part stayed like that).

OK I need to play Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2. It's time to man up. Is 360 the best way to go into it? I also have a PS3.

Yes, 360 is the best way to experience it. Ninja Gaiden Black and then Ninja Gaiden II.

Eolz

NG2 360 is second to none for gore for a reason. Everything felt right, just about. It's unmatched in that regard, shame they changed it so much for PS3. Really wish if MGR gets a sequel, they'd try to up the ante for blood n' gutz. Put the two together, and it'd be something special, I tell you.

I found NG3 Razor Edge a lot more gory actually. Especially when you played as one of the girls strangely.
Ayane making explode members with her kicks is really impressive. Kasumi's strange mega shuriken cuts through flesh like butter, and Momiji's naginata is really powerful. They all have different playstyles than Ryu.
Story mode in this game is really bad, but the challenge chapters are really worth it. Game is really cheap too now (even on WiiU, great version).

AlStrong

I'm not sure on the whole game, but for that sequence they probably made it so that the engine rendered every animation frame regardless of how long it would take to render a frame, hence it feeling like slow motion.

It's been a while since I've played pre-patch.

You could flip a switch in Doom 3 (way back when) and it'd do the same thing if your framerate went low. I think it was the com_fixedtic cvar.

Eolz

Game was damn awesome. This gen is lacking on action games so far.

What have we so far?
Some indies on PC, NG3 Razor's Edge (WiiU), Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 1 + 2 soon, and Devil's Third someday?
+ Devil May Cry 5 someday

Gaz_RB

I guess that makes sense. I think I'd just rather have that sequence going at full speed in general. I don't really like non-intentional slowdown during gameplay (and I don't think it was intentional... NG2 essentially being shipped unfinished is the reason that part stayed like that).

Yes, 360 is the best way to experience it. Ninja Gaiden Black and then Ninja Gaiden II.

Unpatched Ninja Gaiden 2.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 is a joke.

Thanks, just ordered Black and 2 off amazon. Time to hook up the 360 again I guess.

Eolz

NG3 Razor's Edge is on PS3 and 360 too now. It sucks though

I was talking about WiiU for 8th gen beat'em'all.
I disagree though as said above. They did some good fixes from the atrocity that was regular NG3, and challenge mode is great (unlike story mode).
Steel on bone is an interesting mechanic, good selection of weapons and characters, some good enemies too. It's not a great game, but it's really not as bad as some want to make believe.

RyudBoy

Yep, the slow mo effect was really cool.

Also, as many have already stated - it's not the same as dropping frames. The frame rate remained smooth, but everything just moved in slow motion.

Black and 2 are among my favourite games ever. I remember the first time playing that staircase part. Had just upgraded the tallons to level 3. Slicing mother fuckers up never felt so satisfying.

Thread brings back good memories of flying and chopping things up with the Vigoorian Flails.

While I DID like NG3RE, one of its failings is that it didn't bring that weapon back.

TwiztidElf

One of my all time favourite sequences in any game is the stairway massacre in the later level of Ninja Gaiden 2. The part where the framerate goes down to 10 or less and you're slaughtering enemies coming down from the stairs, left and right. The joy of tearing them apart with the most grisly attacks and ultraviolent fuckery at your disposal was insurmountable. The game just couldn't top that part again. The later games really dropped the ball on the combat. As much as I hate Itagaki for making the toughest, most head shaking game series out there, Ninja Gaiden really needs him back.

At times I want to plug in the 360 again so I can play that sequence again. What bliss.

Please tell me I'm not alone in this.
Completely agree OP. But you failed to mention that after the sequence on the stairs (and after a little bit more at the top), it ends with the cutscene and boss battle against Elizabet. The imagery with her bathing in all that blood is awesome.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Are the Vita versions of 1 and 2 worth playing? I figure this is a good place to ask.

I think they're locked at 30? From what I remember reading, NG1 was playable, but NG2 far less so. If you have any other options to experience these games, you should use those instead.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
doing the ultimate technique with scythe on stairs was best and seeing blood rain down after was amazing in all its 10fps glory

Sayad

One of my favorite games ever, but the awful slow down ruined the stairway. I wonder what the people who liked it think about Blighttown...

The part from this game I remember is the level with the werewolf castle. You fight a bunch of werewolves, then get dropped into an arena and use the were-king's scythe to slaughter hundreds

devonodev

I had no idea what was happening in the story, but man this game had some really epic moments. Slicing limbs off enemies while it's literally raining blood, mashing attack buttons, body parts flying everywhere.

I don't care how cheesy it is, this is what action games are all about.

watership

Now imagine if that part ran at a constant 60fps.

I'm going to say that the original pre-patch of this level is still the greatest thing ever. When things slowed down as more and more enemies filled the screen, it was epic.

This is the one and only time where slowdown was acceptable to me.

The patch ruined it.

Top Bottom