• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

thatgamecompany's Contract with Sony's Up; "Exploring Bigger Audience".

Saty

The critically acclaimed flOw, Flower and Journey are all currently exclusive to PlayStation platforms, products of the developer's three game deal with Sony.
"Right now we are very much exploring ways to bring our games to a bigger audience, beyond just PlayStation," Journey developer Jenova Chen told Push Square.

"We are still in the process of negotiating, but I hope that we can announce it [soon]. But right now it's still in the process."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...oring-bigger-audience-beyond-just-playstation

Danielsan

A huge loss for Sony but a win for non Sony platform gamers. I just hope that whoever ends up being their new publisher is as willing to give them pure creative freedom.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Sony making something of a mistake here? Thatgamecompany seem like a helluva better exclusive investment for that 'art house' game developer status they enjoy than the stroke victim sloths over at Team Ico.

BeeDog

It will be interesting to see how they'll cope with being 'alone'. By the looks of the previous games' credit lists, they seem to get tons of help from mainly Sony Santa Monica.

Dibbz

Why not stick with Sony? There games sell and people love them.

Maybe they just take too long like Team ICO, but imo there games are worth it.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Yay! I've always thought it was a shame their games have been limited to PS3 owners only. Flower in particular is something I've always wanted to show to people in my family who think that games can only be violent or trivial.

Sony making something of a mistake here? Thatgamecompany seem like a helluva better exclusive investment for that 'art house' game developer status they enjoy than the stroke victim sloths over at Team Ico.

I'm sure Sony would like these developer to extend their contracts, but I think all dev is leaving Sony to reach bigger audience, nothing Sony can do about that.

Takao

Banned

Sony actually owns Team Ico and everything they make. The employees are employees of Sony Corporation. Once Team Ico is dissolved those guys will work with everyone else at SCEJ.

epmode

Didn't seem to go so well for Qgames unfortunately.

I did my part.
No promotion, an ancient game that didn't even light up the charts when it was originally launched, etc.

Eden PC is an excellent port though and I bought it as soon as it hit Steam. I'm just not surprised by the apathy.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
iirc, Sony has tried to buy them.

Oh well, thats a shame then. The tech expertise of Sony Santa Monica pretty much has made real bite behind awesome games like Flower and Journey. Don't really know what the team can achieve when theyre not around Sony's powerhouses to pickup the slack. More mini-game stuff like flOw I imagine.

Sony actually owns Team Ico and everything they "make". The employees are employees of Sony Corporation. Once Team Ico is dissolved those guys will "work" with everyone else at SCEJ.

fixed.

I asked about IP ownership on TGC's forums and flOw, Flower and Journey are all Sony-owned properties. Apparently, USC owns the rights to Cloud so that game is the likeliest to end up on other platforms (although still doubtful).

It'd be in their best interests to be able to pursue other platforms, not just SNS, IOS and Android (which is what I think this might mean), but also Nintendo / MS platforms. If they could do some or all of that - while still maintaining a positive enough relationship with Sony that'd be the best case scenario. Their 'concept' game style makes me think they'd carve out an audience on any and all of those platforms if they wanted...

StuBurns

Banned
I imagine they mean PS360 and Steam. They want to grow the studio they've also said. There's already a lot of them for an iOS studio.

V_Ben

Banned
Of course they want to go multi platform, they could make so much more money. We're bound to see them on everything now.

Slime

Banned
Great for gaming in general that they're not chained to a single corporation. Thank goodness they don't want to be bought.

Can't wait to see what they do next.

Doel

I kinda doubt that, I think steam is their best bet. See the kind of game people enjoy in ios, it's not the kind of games tgc makes. Tgc have that indie cred that people will love on steam imo.

Fair point, but I was picturing Flow and Flower (using motion control) on an iPhone.

Danielsan

I kinda doubt that, I think steam is their best bet. See the kind of game people enjoy in ios, it's not the kind of games tgc makes. Tgc have that indie cred that people will love on steam imo.
Bingo. I'd say they should and probably will aim for a PSN/Steam/XBLA approach.

Suzzopher

index.php

Joni

More games sold and more people loving them?
Doesn't work like that. Going exclusive to multiplatform doesn't mean your old followers will buy the game. A certain part of your audience is going to be buying your game because you're exclusive which entails a lot of publicity. Look at the amount of publicity Insomniac gets for a Resistance compared to Overstrike.

Top Bottom