• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

thatgamecompany's Contract with Sony's Up; "Exploring Bigger Audience".

MDSLKTR

I didn't like flow or flower, and journey looks awfully boring. I think it's one of those studios that benefited from being ps3 only when the console needed exclusives in its early years. But good luck to them tough.

You think they would leave the 60m PS3 audience for 65m 360s? No. They're going multi.
Wider audience to me implies not just larger but also more diverse. Kinect, Wii, iOS and that sort of thing. PS3's built a sizable base, but it's pretty uniform in terms of audience compared to the platforms Microsoft and Nintendo can offer.

Negaiido

Did you just tumble out of 2007?

2007 was a nice year wasn't it.

I'd say, why not keep this company . The one thing that's great about Sony's consoles is that they have nice exclusives and that's what people keep on buying their consoles.
If every game becomes multiplatform then theres no reason to get a PS3 anymore and the PC would be the best option.

StuBurns

Banned

I'd say, why not keep this company . The one thing that's great about Sony's consoles is that they have nice exclusives and that's what people keep on buying their consoles.
That implies it's Sony's choice. I doubt it is.

If every game becomes multiplatform then theres no reason to get a PS3 anymore and the PC would be the best option.

Agreed

But I'd guess TGC just didn't want to be bought

Hopefully Sony discovers some talent who can replace them

Sean

Banned
If this generation has proven anything, it's that exclusives don't make much sense anymore.

It doesn't matter if you're making $60 retail games, or smaller downloadable titles, or mobile games. If you are targeting a single platform you're simply leaving tons of money on the table.

Takao

Banned
Like Team Ninja and Enlaved? Ya, spread those wings into lame IPs that fail!

Ninja Theory

Team Ninjadog has always been everywhere.

It seems NT, and Sony had a falling out after Heavenly Sword. Rumors are that SCE did a lot of internal work on that game just to make sure it was up to par.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
If this generation has proven anything, it's that exclusives don't make much sense anymore.

It doesn't matter if you're making $60 retail games, or smaller downloadable titles, or mobile games. If you are targeting a single platform you're simply leaving tons of money on the table.

If exclusives don't make sense anymore then multiple consoles don't make much sense.

Suzzopher

How does Kinect have a wider audience than PS3? Or am I misunderstanding you?

I mean that Kinect's user base is wider in demographic than that of core gamers on who know of/use PSN. Kinect has core and casual gamers to reach. More than half the people I know who have consoles don't know about XBLA/PSN.

I mean that Kinect's user base is wider in demographic than that of core gamers on who know of/use PSN. Kinect has core and casual gamers to reach. More than half the people I know who have consoles don't know about XBLA/PSN.

In this case Kinect has a more diverse demopgrahic but it's not necessarily bigger

Bigger = multiplatform

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Good luck to them, it'll be nice if they partner with good publishers. I'm not a big fan of Flower but I can see why people like it. I hope Journey is an amazing game.

In this case Kinect has a more diverse demopgrahic but it's not necessarily bigger

Bigger = multiplatform

There's a difference between an addressable market and a viable one. Not that I think they'll start making Kinect games mind you, but a bigger market doesn't necessarily translate into more sales if it's filled with consumers who aren't interested in your products.

i-Lo

I've been curious with that ueda girl comment, is the interviewer ask Ueda why the main character is a boy? That seems like a very random question. Most of game's protagonist is male by default, it's only female if they want to exploit it or have some statement to make or need a female for the story they want to tell.

People dont ask epic why marcus isn't a woman for example.

No it was just a general question by Ryan Clements. Just because most games feature male protagonists doesn't mean a female character would be awkward. Nowadays, most WRPGs and some JRPGs allow the player the choose the gender of the protagonist. It was Ueda's incredulous responses that caused Ryan to keep pushing the subject. The game industry is ever evolving and there will be people who will always seek to exploit female characters (both devs and gamers) but as the proliferation increases the less stereotyping we'll see.

Sentenza

Doesn't work like that. Going exclusive to multiplatform doesn't mean your old followers will buy the game. A certain part of your audience is going to be buying your game because you're exclusive which entails a lot of publicity. Look at the amount of publicity Insomniac gets for a Resistance compared to Overstrike.
Actually most of the times it does.
Only the most rabid fanboys stop buying games from loved developers if they go multiplatform.

And if the new product is interesting enough (and adequately promoted) you can bet you ass you are most likely going to expand your audience.
Especially when the original fanbase wasn't that large in the first place.

No it was just a general question by Ryan Clements. Just because most games feature male protagonists doesn't mean a female character would be awkward. Nowadays, most WRPGs and some JRPGs allow the player the choose the gender of the protagonist. It was Ueda's incredulous responses that caused Ryan to keep pushing the subject. The game industry is ever evolving and there will be people who will always seek to exploit female characters (both devs and gamers) but as the proliferation increases the less stereotyping we'll see.

I just think it's blown way out of proportion. we know that Ueda like minimalistic fairy tale theme with his games, his character in previous has obvious gender roles/stereotypes in it. Ico is a boy doing all the puching and climbing while he help the fragile Yorda. Wanda is the male warrior doing all the climbing and killing colossi while Mono is sleeping waiting. just like the old fairy tale with prince charming saving the princess.

so imagine you're Ueda thinking to develop Last Guardian, by default he think to make the main character a male because that's what his previous work has been. then he think of the possibility of main character to be a girl, at this state, his mind is still within the gender stereotypes of female being the fragile feminine character, so it'll wear skirt and have less stregth than a boy, then they come with problem of player seeing underneath a skirt etc. at this point, why make the main character a girl at all if she'll dress like a boy, and have the strength of a boy,and serve no other purpose for his story.

I think it's a very logical train of thought. I never felt Ueda is being sexist when he explain the reason why it's not a girl.

StuBurns

Banned
If my memory serves correctly, Ueda said people wouldn't find a girl doing these physical actions as believable. That's not Ueda being sexist, it's him believing his audience are sexist.

There's a difference between an addressable market and a viable one. Not that I think they'll start making Kinect games mind you, but a bigger market doesn't necessarily translate into more sales if it's filled with consumers who aren't interested in your products.

Which is why when somebody suggested Kinect it would make no sense, going from exclusive platform with an established fanbase to another exclusive platform, of which none of their previous stuff has released on, and would require an additional peripheral (Kinect itself) to work on top of that, for the sake of the possibility of extra sales
Makes more sense for them simply to go multiplatform, with the current PSN consumers to fall back on

Joni

Actually most of the times it does.
Only the most rabid fanboys stop buying games from loved developers if they goes multiplatform.

And if the new product is interesting enough (and adequately promoted) you can bet you ass you are most likely going to expand your audience.
Especially when the original fanbase wasn't that large in the first place.

Do we actually have examples from studio's going from console-holder backed to multiplatform this generation where their new game is a bigger success? Can't think of someone.

Ninja Theory failed, still waiting on Bungie and Insomniac. From Software could be used as an example for Demon's Souls to Dark Souls.

StuBurns

Banned
Do we actually have examples from studio's going from console-holder backed to multiplatform this generation where their new game is a bigger success? Can't think of someone.

Ninja Theory failed, still waiting on Bungie and Insomniac. From Software could be used as an example for Demon's Souls to Dark Souls.
Ninja Theory failed once. DmC not outselling Heavenly Sword would be stunning.

Utako

Banned
Looking forward to their first iOS project in 2 years.

Or 6 months, if it's a typical iOS/Android larf, tuned to maximize profits with addictive repetition.

Pretty unfortunate that they won't retain ownership. Guess that's the downside of these exclusivity deals.

Thankfully the more open environment on Steam and iOS these days makes room for successes without having to make that sacrifice.

Yeah, but they don't come with funding. Those exclusivity deals are great for new studios that are just hitting their stride. Once they've built themselves up then can go independently like what's going on here.

Of course now they run the risk that if their next games fail they could go under.

statham

You think they would leave the 60m PS3 audience for 65m 360s? No. They're going multi.
not saying this will happen, very much doubt it, but they could go 360/next xbox & PC alot of MS games are also on PC and the rumors of windows 8 and next xbox being compatible and the windows 8 phones... that would be a much bigger crowd. When 360 launched MS went after alot of the Sony exclusives, could they be doing the same with their next launch?

I love Flower. I have access to almost every platform, so I don't really care what they make games for. The more the merrier!

If exclusives don't make sense anymore then multiple consoles don't make much sense.

They don't make much sense to me, but they make plenty of sense to three companies each of whom wants to get paid.

statham

I thought Sony owned the Heavy Rain IP since they (at least partially) funded the development?
MS partially funded a few games that also ended up on PS3, with that said I will buy whatever system heavy rain 2 is on or that companies next game. I love the adult adventure games, and seeing HR sold well over a million hope other companines jump in. fix the controls tho.

Top Bottom