• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 10 Cancelled Legacy of Kains (Mama Robotnik Research Thread)

Really awesome work, Thanks alot for sharing this amount of information with us.

Personally I am really skeptical about the new LoK MP based game, after all I am a heavily SP guy, I hope the MP is appealing somehow, but I still think the single player of Dead Sun wouldn't have been good for me.

I mean it is Legacy of Kain, so I want to play as Kain, it's the reason why I love Blood Omen 1&2 and Defiance, Raziel was amazing, but having both playable in Defiance was epic, I just love Kain.

I have no idea what the future holds for LoK, it pains me to see such awesome games cancelled, and it pains me more how the story could have ended but didn't, and now we are left on a cliffhanger that will never be resolved.

I suspect any new game will include totally new characters, which is a disappointment to say the least, Legacy of Kain is one of my favorite franchises ever.

Leynos

Thanks for all the work, Mama Robotnic. Your threads are always a treat to read.

A big shame about Dead Sun. I don't understand why these game companies keep trying to cram multi-player into single-player only series. I've no interest in that.

Was really interested to learn about Chakan 2. And Dr. Who, and ST:TNG aren't really in the same universe....are they?

JDSN

Banned
Great threaad, and much as I rolled my eyes when I saw Climax's name come out, Dead Sun sounds like an interesting premise. Shame.

Why, Square, why?

People would have bought anything if they brought it as a launch title. Certainly this would have paid off, especially if it was already far along. A little bit of marketing so people knew this exists and bam - $$$

Looking at the new combat screens, I don't think I like Gein/Asher look that much, he can't compare to Kain or Raziel. --- if we only got the Dark Prophecy to wrap Kain's story, then Dead Sun as a totally new story, I would have been alot more welcoming, but alas we are not getting any.

Regarding those combat screens, I really wish we could have a video showing the combat system, I am really interested in how it would have worked, jumping, stabbing, blood everywhere, hmmmmm.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely fantastic thread Mama Robotnik, love your threads :)

Dead Sun though, that's just so gutting to read about. The thought of a LoK MP game is not appealing to me in the slightest regardless of how good it actually is.

Jetman

wow, thank you much for doing this! Very interesting read. Subscribed and will definitely subscribe to your other threads and give them a look! Good work!

Minions

That is a lot of canceled games. Some looked really good (The ps2 release that was canceled, and the PS3 release)

Too bad too. I'm sure there are tons of games we never even hear about that get aborted.

kogasu

I haven't finished reading yet but I just had to stop and say how AMAZING this is. So much work was put into this . Excellent job Mama Robotnik! I really love this series and it really sucks to see it's had a lot of bad luck with cancelled games.

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
I’ve been watching this post and I thought you might want a bit more information. I can confirm that Dead Sun was a project which had been in development - but which was cancelled.

I know it’s disappointing to hear about these things out of context, and whilst some of the details released are accurate - some details are not. You know game projects can be cancelled for a variety of different reasons and I know it’s very hard to tell from images and info alone, but in the end LoK: Dead Sun just wasn’t the right game, at the right time… but you’ll have to take me at my word on that, I’m afraid.

Obviously, it’s not usual for assets from cancelled games to be released, but given that there’s a lot out there already I thought you might appreciate seeing a few more images that were taken from the previously in-progress game.

As you’ll be aware, we’re currently working on a multiplayer game firmly set within the Legacy of Kain universe called Nosgoth, which we’re very proud of. It’s grown in size and scope since its initial conception and we’ll be talking more about it in the future. While we’re not working on a single-player Legacy of Kain game right now, that doesn’t mean it’s not something we’d look at making in the future.

Thanks for the post Monkeythumbz.

Good to hear official info on the latest LOK game and see some never before seen concept art.

I'm willing to believe cancelling Dead Sun was a good thing overall. I think most fans would prefer a reboot or continuation to the series rather than a sort of spinoff with new characters and set in the far future... Hopefully some of the best art assets will make it into the next proper single player LOK game... Eventually.

Still , it makes me wonder even more about the War for Nosgoth multiplayer game ?

marrec

Banned
Wow, did not expect any official communication about this. Obviously games are canceled for reasons, but it would be unfortunate if it was canceled because initial sales projections and the budget allocations based on those projections.

It's obvious that a new LoK property would be successful but it's not going to be a blockbuster I don't think.

Musiol

@Monkeythumbz - Wow, this is so awesome. Thank you for posting this. I really hope that someday we will see trailer of single player LoK game.

Thanks for sharing Monkeythumbz

I thought a few projects at SE “weren’t the right game at the right time” but they got made. Dead Sun looked like one that could have been promising. I’m curious in learning more about why it got cancelled… but understand that information likely won’t be revealed.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I remember when thegia.com broke the story of Soul Reaver's alternate ending and all the cut content. I pored over the sound files, transcribing them and analyzing them, comparing the retail Soul Reaver levels to the demo levels. Looking at every nook and cranny in the game and noting everything that looked like a blocked, would-have-lead-to-a-cut-area passage. I kinda remember annoying people on ICQ with my fondness for the topic too.

It is hard for me to overstate how much I personally enjoy these threads, Mama Robotnik. Thanks for all this.

And thank you Monkeythumbz for your community outreach. The fans really do appreciate it.

Gangxxter

Thank you Monkeythumbz!

Are those artworks from Dead Sun or War For Nosgoth now? Because they're uploaded to a photobucket album called "WarForNosgoth"...

Monkeythumbz

Thank you Monkeythumbz!

Are those artworks from Dead Sun or War For Nosgoth now? Because they're uploaded to a photobucket album called "WarForNosgoth"...

They're all taken from Dead Sun. I created that Photobucket account just for this purpose and used the first name I could think of tbh.

The following image has some of the earliest dialogue in the series – unfortunately it isn’t all eligible. If anyone is better at reading faded blurry writing, please tell me what he end of this says!

jaIChtu.jpg

"I do not have that problem. I kill for fun." Seems to make the most sense in context

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
"I do not have that problem. I kill for fun." Seems to make the most sense in context
Oh, well done. Yeah, that sounds good.

I’ve been watching this post and I thought you might want a bit more information. I can confirm that Dead Sun was a project which had been in development - but which was cancelled.
Thanks for posting the information. But:

but in the end LoK: Dead Sun just wasn’t the right game, at the right time…
What does that even mean? "We think it won't sell"? "Vampires aren't a trendy bandwagon to jump on anymore"? Seriously, what?

Monkeythumbz

So I’ve seen some comments in some areas of the games media interpreting Nosgoth’s existence as something that was somehow ‘pulled’ from the cancelled Dead Sun game. Obviously it’s always fun to try and suggest conclusions, and that's completely understandable when there’s not a lot of information around (which will always be the case with something like a cancelled game).

But I can categorically confirm that Nosgoth was a separate game from the beginning and is very much a unique game in its own right. It was related to the single-player game in terms of a shared art direction, but was always set in an entirely different time period and features different mechanics, characters, levels and gameplay. It isn’t and never was just a multiplayer version of the single-player game.

Personally, I can’t wait to show you exactly what we’ve been working on.

EDIT: Just for clarity, had Dead Sun shipped then Nosgoth would have been its multiplayer companion game. However, to categorize it as the "the multiplayer component of Dead Sun pulled out and fleshed out" isn't really accurate, nor does it do the game justice IMHO.

marrec

Banned
So I’ve seen some comments in some areas of the games media interpreting Nosgoth’s existence as something that was somehow ‘pulled’ from the cancelled Dead Sun game. Obviously it’s always fun to try and suggest conclusions, and that's completely understandable when there’s not a lot of information around (which will always be the case with something like a cancelled game).

But I can categorically confirm that Nosgoth was a separate game from the beginning and is very much a unique game in its own right. It was related to the single-player game in terms of a shared art direction, but was always set in an entirely different time period and features different mechanics, characters, levels and gameplay. It isn’t and never was just a multiplayer version of the single-player game.

Personally, I can’t wait to show you exactly what we’ve been working on.

Wow that's... unexpected.

Can you tell us if there was any multiplayer planned for Dead Sun at all? Or was it simply a single player experience?

Ah, perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Had Dead Sun shipped, then Nosgoth would have been its multiplayer companion. However, to categorize it as a "tiny surviving part" doesn't really do it justice, IMHO.

I see, so it would have shipped as the multiplayer companion to Dead Sun. Thanks for the candor.

Monkeythumbz

Wow that's... unexpected.

Can you tell us if there was any multiplayer planned for Dead Sun at all? Or was it simply a single player experience?

Ah, my apologies, perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Had Dead Sun shipped, then Nosgoth would have been its multiplayer companion game. However, to categorize it as the "the multiplayer component of Dead Sun pulled out and fleshed out" isn't really accurate, nor does it do it justice IMHO.

Top Bottom