• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 1994 console market was crazy

Rubicaant

I remember being a Nintendo fanboy and loving Final Fantasy and not being able to wait for the N64 and whatever RPGs Squaresoft put out on it. Surely that's what will happen, right guys?

Neff

How did you manage during that onslaught?

Pretty much solidly played SNES non-stop. Also occasionally played Game Boy/Mega Drive/Master System/Sega CD when I wanted a change or something good came out.

And I might as well mention that PlayStation made '94 in Japan so you can add that to the list, even though I didn't get mine until '96.

GOTY 1994

6nnw6lX.jpg

My man. Played it every waking hour for a week, only stopping for the quickest of meals and overdue toilet breaks. It still sits in my all-time top ten. Phenomenal game.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Just had a shower thought - what would todays consoles be in the 8,16,32,64 bit range? Can we .. do the math?
Well, most modern CPUs are 64 bits i assume. But GPUs have bandwiths that range from 64bits up to 384bits or something.

But counting bits was always a bad way to determine overall performance. I guess it was more important in the old days of home computers, where the majority of the hardware was dependent on the CPU. But even during those days you could have more powerful systems with fewer "bits".

Some general examples:

- The PC Engine has an 8bit CPU. And yet, it's games were on par with the 16bit Genesis and SNES.
- The Sinclair QL had a 16bit CPU but the rest of the hardware was so bad, you could barely get something more advanced than the 8bit systems at the time.
- A ton of old arcades had 8bit CPUs but the rest of the hardware could produce games that even the 16bit consoles couldn't match.
- The Neo-Geo was a 16bit console, yet most of it's 2D game ports on the PS1/Saturn had several sacrifices. You needed a Dreamcast to "fit" some perfect Neo-Geo ports.
- PC CPUs and Operating systems were stuck at 32bit during the 4th, 5th and 6th generation of consoles and yet they didn't have a problem advancing their games and even surpassing everything in consoles.
- An older generation 256bit GPU may have worse performance than a more modern 128bit GPU.
- The Atari Jaguar was actually 64bit. The N64 was also 64bit. Didn't make a huge difference though, didn't it? A 32bit Pentium 3 system would completely destroy any 32/64/128 bit console at the time.

And that's why counting bits got irrelevant after the N64, even as a fake marketing thing. Then they moved to counting GHz during the Pentium/Athlon days, which was also funny.

Last edited:

wondermega

What a time. Gaming for me peaked probably a couple of years earlier (SNES was underway) and getting arcade-quality games running at home was such a HUGE deal. Growing up with Atari blockiness and then Nintendo downgraded ports (still amazing games, but nothing ever came anywhere CLOSE to the arcade graphically!) this was such a futuristic time to be living in. Even things like the original Gameboy, which seems incredibly primitive now with that barely-legible display (seriously, as soon as anything moved on the screen, it was Blur City) was such a milestone that you could have NES-sized adventures that could be taken literally anywhere. And just at the same time, seeing miracle tech like the Lynx and TurboExpress.. it was madness. Could not possibly get any better, this was the zenith..

I went to college in 1993 and, scratching my head trying to remember if I even brought my SNES to school with me? It was one of those light-switch-flip situations, the moment I was out the door of the house I grew up in, all my interests changed immediately. Games were still cool but I no longer had the religious zealotry about them as I had in all the years before. I bought a SNES at launch in 1991, rented a Sega CD and Jaguar when they were new and felt basically disinterested in both from the outset (seemed like half-steps, generously, compared to the previous 8 to 16 bit jumps we'd seen).

And of course PlayStation and N64 hype was building and they released as I got further into my schooling, but at that point we were monkeying with SGI machines at school and looking at screenshots of blocky-ass N64 games were very unappealing to me. I never looked at another system until grabbing a PS2 in 2003, I think..

Neo_GAF

Banned
i dont remember outside of nintendo/sega and sony anybody on the horizon.
i was 10 years old and did not know, that there were other systems out there too.
maybe because of germany/sweden did not have those systems back in the day?

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I was 2 in 1994 lol but I do remember having a Snes and then getting a N64 for xmas 1999.

Got no love for any of these extinct systems. Still crazy to see there were so many players in the industry.

Last edited:

nkarafo

i dont remember outside of nintendo/sega and sony anybody on the horizon.
i was 10 years old and did not know, that there were other systems out there too.
maybe because of germany/sweden did not have those systems back in the day?
Other than the Turbo Duo/PC Engine CD, i'm pretty sure all the others did get released in Europe.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I had a NES, SNES, Genesis, Gameboy.

Good times. Older brother and I had paper routes so we'd pool our money and go to funcoland, etc.

Krathoon

The emulation for the CDi is not quite perfect. It is getting there.

For anyone that cares.

Really, the only thing of interest are the CDi Zelda games. They are actually kind of neat.

Krathoon

They got that Analogue Duo coming out this year. My Turbo Duo broke, so I need the replacement.

The Turbografx hardware tends to break these days. Getting too old.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I was 12 in 94 and was balls deep in late Genesis titles like Phantasy Star 4 and Beyond Oasis. My best friend at the time was heavy into SNES JRPGs and Chrono Trigger was right around the corner. This was the prime time for 16-bit gaming for me. After this era, I moved onto PC with LucasArts, Duke, Descent, Ecstatica etc and totally skipped out on the PS1/64 until I was in college.

Whoever thinks 1991-1995 was an awful time for gaming is smoking sherm and/or heavily retarded.

Nothing tops hearing this blast out of your old tube TV in 1991

Last edited:

Neo_GAF

Banned
Other than the Turbo Duo/PC Engine CD, i'm pretty sure all the others did get released in Europe.
i realized it afterwards, but i have never seen any demostation, or any retailer carrying anything outside of sega, sony and nintendo.
even the hardcore-game-shops never had anything.
i only remember seeing the neo geo and it was in a box of plexiglas but no game was shown.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yeah, this was the time everyone and their grandmother were making consoles. Out of all these I vaguely remember having the TG 16 and Sega Saturn. Those tiny flat cartridges felt like magic, lol. And i wanted all the other consoles.

That Nintendo and Sony survived this is amazing.

Last edited:

Hudo

Over time, I've become increasingly convinced that the Neo Geo is the GOAT. It knew what it was, it knew what it wanted to be and didn't fuck around. No bullshit. It was the most focused console ever and did what it set out to do outstandingly well.

Ev1L AuRoN

I remember drooling over magazines for 3DO, Jaguar and Neo Geo, I had an SNES at the time, so I was happy and didn't know it. In 1996, I got a N64 for Christmas and in 1998 I sold it to buy a PS1. That was peak gaming in my life.

RickMasters

It was pretty wild! The big takeaway for me in 1994 was that, inspite of all those pre-saturn/PS1/N64 consoles, (jaguar, 3DO, CD32 etc) you knew something big was coming. I remember seeing previews of virtua fighter1, ridge racer, panzer dragoon, and killer instinct was giving us a glimpse of N64...you knew it was worth holding out for. And if you were an arcade goer who regularly played the likes of virtua racing, daytona, ridge racer etc, in the arcades you knew it was worth waiting.

The dawn of the 3D game era!the great transition from 2D games and the birth of all those new game styles that came in the true 32/64 bit era (super mario 64 was liking the gaming equivalent of walking out on the moon for the first time). back when we dreamed of what games could be. We take a lot of the advances for granted these days but I remember when draw distance issues, folding polygons, and sub 30 FPS was the norm....and drum n bass soundtracks on everything. but the suited the futuristic vibe gaming had back then. character models that didnt have fingers and textured-on, faces... nowadays people go on digital foundry and count which versions character models has more indvidual hair strands, to argue about it. And ideas like ray tracing in games was just a pipe dream. im glad to see us get that point where we are starting to see it come to fruition.

RickMasters

I remember reading in EDGE magazine around that time how the queues in Japan to get the Sony PlayStation were literally a mile long.
I used to read that mag every month back in the days. They did great coverage of that era in general. YOU could see that Ps1 was shaping up to be the console of that generation. I still bought a saturn first as a sega loyalist, but by the tail end of 1996 I got a PS. still my fave playstation but probably because of that particular era of gaming. Really fealt like the dawn of 3D gaming.

what an era...for real. one of them things where you had to be there and just old enough to understand as a gamer. we dont get those big leaps like that era in gaming anymore. I think thats why we get son many 90s gaming related threads on here. It was a truly golden era.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I really, really miss physical magazines.

I know they can't compete with the Internet today where you can just grab your phone, but I could seriously read the same pages over and over again.
They was actually journalists back then and you could tell they passed their English class.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I was still a hardcore Atarian in 1994 and rode that ship till it sank in 1996.

These were the systems I was rocking in 1994:

Atari Lynx - Atari actually released zero games for the Lynx in 1994, but Atari and Telegames released a bunch of games throughout the summer of 1993 and I was still playing catch-up. In 1995, Battlezone 2000 and Super Asteroids/Super Missile Command were the final two games released by Atari for the Lynx.

Atari Jaguar - Pretty good year for the Jaguar, with Tempest 2000, Wolfenstein 3D (The Jag version was an amazing port, as it was full screen, high resolution and frame rate, Q-Sound surround sound and extra weapons), Doom and Alien vs Predator all released in 1994.

Atari 1040STE - The ST and mainly the STE/Falcon saw a few releases here and there all the way up until 1996. The main game I played in 1994 was the final game in the Ishar RPG trilogy, Ishar 3: The Seven Gates of Infinity.

PC (486 DX2) - Spent the most of the year catching up on early 90's RPGs that I missed out on like the latter SSI Gold Box AD&D RPGs and Ultima VII. My main new game was Doom II and had a blast going online with Deathmatch multiplayer.

the_master

Great times of hype, dreams and awe! Every month something cooler would show up.

I went from nes to mega drive which was the first console that I fully enjoyed, and was up to date of all games nd consoles with the magazines.
Got a mega cd and loved it. It was spectacular at the time with the interactive movies.

Got the Saturn when it came out and fell in love with it. One of the best times in gaming of my life. It was so spectacular and mind blowing… every month a better looking game.
Then moved to the Playstation when the library of games was insane. I did not afford a 64 st the time but it was a fantastic console once again and played a lot at some friends place.

The most revolutionary time in gaming imo

drooled over game magazines and weekend advertisements for circuit city/best buy/etc.

first time i played an n64 was at a blockbuster... super mario 64, and i played it for like 3 hours straight.

first time playing playstation was in a SEARS.... battle arena toshinden. played surprisingly well.

Last edited:
at 8 years old only genesis/gamegear and nes/snes/gameboy was really all that mattered from what i recall

loved gaming mags even though I dont think I had subs at that age, just periodically was allowed to buy one.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I was still a hardcore Atarian in 1994 and rode that ship till it sank in 1996.

These were the systems I was rocking in 1994:

Atari Lynx - Atari actually released zero games for the Lynx in 1994, but Atari and Telegames released a bunch of games throughout the summer of 1993 and I was still playing catch-up. In 1995, Battlezone 2000 and Super Asteroids/Super Missile Command were the final two games released by Atari for the Lynx.

Atari Jaguar - Pretty good year for the Jaguar, with Tempest 2000, Wolfenstein 3D (The Jag version was an amazing port, as it was full screen, high resolution and frame rate, Q-Sound surround sound and extra weapons), Doom and Alien vs Predator all released in 1994.

Atari 1040STE - The ST and mainly the STE/Falcon saw a few releases here and there all the way up until 1996. The main game I played in 1994 was the final game in the Ishar RPG trilogy, Ishar 3: The Seven Gates of Infinity.

PC (486 DX2) - Spent the most of the year catching up on early 90's RPGs that I missed out on like the latter SSI Gold Box AD&D RPGs and Ultima VII. My main new game was Doom II and had a blast going online with Deathmatch multiplayer.

That is some absolute dedication, I have to ask why and where this loyalty came from for Atari and all these products. I had heard whispers and rumors of Atari Falcon hold outs who held on for dear life until the bitter end. Good work to you Sir. I know many who were similar with Amiga, when the system deviated so much, how could you call it an Amiga any longer.

The ST European software market really dropped like a stone towards the end of 1992, fell of the cliff in 1993.

RickMasters

They was actually journalists back and you could tell they passed their English class.
And some of them were actually good at the games. Apparently Richard leadbetter the editor of mean machines was a beast at virtua fighter. Maybe even almost as good as me! He used to do all the fighting game guides in sega Saturn magazine. Their dark stalkers and marvel super heroes combo guides was pretty handy back in the day. The moment you understood what areal launching upper cuts are for, it changes everything.

Reactions: TGO

ChazAshley

Not only that, imagine being a kid during this time where your budget was super limited. (Unless you were one of those super rich well off kids who wasted their money on a Jaguar)

Each game you got was treasure. You played that game to the absolute tee because you didn't have anything else.

Additionally, if you had friends you trusted, you'd go over their house to play whatever games they had. If they were your best friends youd borrow and lend your games with one another.

Man I miss those days. Don't get me started on that feeling of the car drive home after picking up a game and reading the instruction book on the way home.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
I remember being a Nintendo fanboy and loving Final Fantasy and not being able to wait for the N64 and whatever RPGs Squaresoft put out on it. Surely that's what will happen, right guys?
Square Soft's shift towards Playstation changed the face of 32/64 bits war:

- Saturn was dominating Sony in Japan until FF7 announcement on PSX. (many popular japanese franchises worldwide weren't announced on Saturn because Sega lost even the battle of Japan)
- Like you, Nintendo lost many customers from the 8/16 bits era.

Without Square, Sega probably would have had a bankable market (Japan), strong enough to convince more publishers to join the party worldwide...
Nintendo would have been as powerful as during Snes Era and Sony would have been popular but clearly not as hegemonic.

A more balanced market then...

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
1994 was an exciting year for videogames as it was a major transition point between generations, so you had the peak of 16-bit games, but also some exciting things on 3DO and Jaguar. Meanwhile, PlayStation and Saturn were waiting in the wings.

Additionally, and perhaps because of this hardware glut, the US market was in the midst of a major downturn, a minor crash that saw 66 percent decline from 1993-96, and only recovering in 1997. Looking back, you can tell that the videogame industry was facing a major shakeup and paradigm shift, as real-time 3D polygons became the exciting (yet frightfully expensive) new frontier.

My favorite console that year? Jaguar. You got Tempest 2000, Alien Vs Predator, Iron Soldier, Doom and Brutal Sports Football. It’s unfortunate that Atari Corp couldn’t maintain that momentum, although Rayman was waiting in the wings (before jumping into the arms of Sony and Sega) and I still have a fond spot for that Space War 2000 demo.

AREYOUOKAY?

I think it would have been a CD based x86 console with graphics a little more textured than N64, Lots of sports, and racing games, and first party output from MS would be Age Of Empires and Flight simulator.

I guess this will be needed instead.

WjJRIK3.png

Honestly I don't know how well this would work for those genres or how this controller works at all.

Interesting list, but consoles didn't get good until the PlayStation / Saturn / N64 era.
The NES was awesome, though. So many timeless classics were on that platform.

Last era before the PC/console streams had crossed. And also where a main player had a home console with specialized 2d graphical rasterization functions. (I wonder what the current equivalent would look like.)

Havoc2049

That is some absolute dedication, I have to ask why and where this loyalty came from for Atari and all these products. I had heard whispers and rumors of Atari Falcon hold outs who held on for dear life until the bitter end. Good work to you Sir. I know many who were similar with Amiga, when the system deviated so much, how could you call it an Amiga any longer.

The ST European software market really dropped like a stone towards the end of 1992, fell of the cliff in 1993.
I was an Atari user going back to the 8-bit days and just stuck with the brand. I was an early ST adopter, back when the 520ST was significantly cheaper than the Amiga 1000 and Mac. You could get a 520ST computer with disk drive and color monitor, a printer, a word processing/DTP program, a joystick and a couple of games and still be several hundred dollars under the base price of the Amiga 1000.

Last edited:
Last era before the PC/console streams had crossed. And also where a main player had a home console with specialized 2d graphical rasterization functions. (I wonder what the current equivalent would look like.)
One thing though: the 32-bit era really didn't age well for 3d. It was the 3d equivalent of the pre-NES days.

gundalf

I'm so old, when I did my driving license we had to solve quizzes with the CD-I :messenger_grinning_sweat:
It was actually kinda neat since the driving instructor didn't need to fiddle around with a Windows PC, just plug and play with no random crashes and other idiocracies.

Someone liked my comment so I was intrigued to look out for that said software but sadly I couldn't find any pictures or videos but I managed to find an internet archive image of the french and german version!

I also found out that this driving school quiz software was developed until 2009(!) which means there were plenty of driving schools in Europe fiddling around with their CD-I system until the mid 2010s!

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
They was actually journalists back then and you could tell they passed their English class.
This was refreshing to hear. I got so much out of gaming magazines and yes, they were real writers. You couldn't just get a 'freelance' badge and get published. 4th gen was an amazing time to have these magazines as you had the articles but numerous promos for upcoming games. So another thing not at everyone's finger tips like today were the game trailers or adverts like that. You'd only see select trailers on TV but the magazines would sell you a whole console catalogue for a season.

Trunx81

I was an Atari user going back to the 8-bit days and just stuck with the brand. I was an early ST adopter, back when the 520ST was significantly cheaper than the Amiga 1000 and Mac. You could get a 520ST computer with disk drive and color monitor, a printer, a word processing/DTP program, a joystick and a couple of games and still be several hundred dollars under the base price of the Amiga 1000.
My dad purchased an Atari ST for his job (had great midi capability). Loved to play Lemmings on it and Ishar 2 - Messengers of Doom. Street Fighter 2, though .. that was sooo bad

Top Bottom