• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2016 RPG Discussion Thread

kaiju

Looking at these games, I can tell 2016 is going to be a great year in the genre.

Pre-ordered Stranger of Sword City already, the LE looks amazeballs:

SoSC-NISA-LE-Pre-Order.jpg

Dresden

Looking forward to SMT IV Final.

I've largely given up on trying to keep abreast of pc rpg releases. Underrail won't go anywhere while I play other things.

December 2016: Battle Chasers: Nightwar
Au8nxfr.jpg
6TEYQTP.jpg
lkP4F1I.jpg

dungeon diving, jrpg-turn based combat, party, Airship Syndicate

Kickstarter Link
Kickstarter RPG with a great developer behind. "Classic JRPG combat meets action packed dungeons and stylish storytelling. Use skills and strategy to survive a lush, brutal landscape". Created by ex-Vigil Games veterans, including two of Vigil's co-founders, Joe Madureira and Ryan Stefanelli.
PC (Steam + GOG)/PS4/Xbox One

Does it count?

Miletius

December 2016: Battle Chasers: Nightwar
Au8nxfr.jpg
6TEYQTP.jpg
lkP4F1I.jpg

dungeon diving, jrpg-turn based combat, party, Airship Syndicate

Kickstarter Link
Kickstarter RPG with a great developer behind. "Classic JRPG combat meets action packed dungeons and stylish storytelling. Use skills and strategy to survive a lush, brutal landscape". Created by ex-Vigil Games veterans, including two of Vigil's co-founders, Joe Madureira and Ryan Stefanelli.
PC (Steam + GOG)/PS4/Xbox One

Does it count?

Looks cool but I'd say a December 2016 release is ripe for push back. I'd expect it in 2017.

Kenpa64

Don't know if someone said it, but I think that Salt & Sanctuary should be moved to 2016. Just as a suggestion.

Aside, I'll pick a lot of them. My wallet will die soon...

I received a mail from InXile, saying Torment enters early access on january 26(17 for backers).
I guess it may come out this year after all(though it wouldn't be the first time early access lasted more than a year)

Some Nobody

Not sure where you're going with this. The game draws inspiration from games like Dragon's Dogma. They're going for an open world Action RPG not a Shadow of Mordor clone.

Watch this if you're concerned about GG's direction with the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvI5AHu5Xao

Hey, it's an L in video form.

Seriously though, that looks good and I suddenly have a bit more faith in this product. I'm curious as to when they plan on showing us more of this game, though.

Knurek

Do we have any idea what patch 3.0 will bring for Pillars of Eternity? Except for xpac part 2, obviously?

Controller support?

Mainly posting so this is in my subscription list. How I missed when this thread went up... I do not know.

Lots of good games coming out this year. Really excited to finally play Darkest Dungeon again. I played it right when it went on early access. I loved it, but I didn't want to burn myself out on incomplete content.

Masquerada looks great. The art style reminds me of The Banner Saga. If not for the thread, I wouldn't have known about it.

Also excited of course for Deus Ex, Torment (!!!!!!), and Dark Souls 3. Also, while I really hope Battle Chasers: Nightwar comes out this year, I'm not counting on it. Kickstarter game set for a December release.... really does seem like a prime candidate for a delay.

I'd say I'm in for five or six new RPGs this year, which seems like plenty when my backlog is out of control again (thanks, Underrail) and there are bound to be some surprise additions to my shopping list. Plus I expect Stellaris and XCOM2 to eat up an enormous amount of my gaming time this year.

So by all means, Larian: take your time with Original Sin 2.

Pro

February 26, 2016: (EU/AUS Bravely Second: End Layer - Nintendo 3DS

turn-based, Silicon Studio/Square Enix, party, job system

Sequel to Bravely Default: Flying Fairy, which in turn was a spiritual successor to Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light. Bravely Default was streamlined in all the right ways. The game uses a turn-based battle system, but for people who don't like that, there are fast forward options. There's an auto battle option for easy fights and you can turn down random encounter rate or completely turn them off. It uses a job system similar to Final Fantasy V which gives you many build options.

Has there been a US Release Date?

In for:

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
Fire Emblem: Fates
Dark Souls III
NieR: Automata
Final Fantasy XV
World of Final Fantasy
Star Ocean 5
Persona 5

Plus ones not in the OP:

#FE
Dragon Quest VII
Dragon Quest VIII

Fuck. RIP my time in 2016.

Arulan

If Larian managed to do it, why wouldn't Obsidian?
worked better with a gamepad

It's not going to happen. Real-Time with Pause combat is similar to RTS in control, it's time sensitive, unlike Turn-Based combat.

That's almost an oxymoron, very few games work better with a controller, and that's largely those that use analogue in a meaningful way such as driving or flight simulations.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
World of FF came out of nowhere for me hype wise, i am really looking forward to that and Star Ocean in particular

Rflagg

Dang it this thread is pointing out some interesting games I hadn't seen before, this year is going to be a budget killer.

MilkBeard

I am in for the Jrpgs. Gonna be a packed year.

I think that Horizon:Zero Dawn will disappoint. It looks really cool, and hype is high, but we are all forgetting the developer behind the game. Who knows though, on a gameplay perspective, the potential is there and they have a new writer on board.

RM8

I guess we don't know a lot about it, but Acaratus for PC looks awesome, it looks like medieval Front Mission. Also Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam coming this month.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I am in for the Jrpgs. Gonna be a packed year.

I think that Horizon:Zero Dawn will disappoint. It looks really cool, and hype is high, but we are all forgetting the developer behind the game. Who knows though, on a gameplay perspective, the potential is there and they have a new writer on board.

What's wrong with guerilla? Their stories are shit, but they've got the fallout New vegas script writer on board, so that won't happen this time, and open world wise, they've got a lot of new open world experienced devs with them, so i think so they deserve a benefit of a doubt for their first franchise outside of killzone

Foofaraw

I'm as excited for Persona 5 as I have been for the past year. It was the reason I bought a PS4. This is looking to be another good year for me to buy games that I don't have time to play all of. Probably sacrilegious to want some shorter high quality JRPG's, but that's where I'm at in my life. Too much desire to read comics and get better at my job.

Also, what is a blobber?

God way too many RPGs, hoping for some delays lol. I already know I'm going to pour 200+ hours into Fire Emblem Fates and XCOM 2.

Ugh....if you want to pray for a return of Elder HoMM sensibilities this is the better lot to carve an altar for:

http://www.palmkingdoms.com/en/pk3.html

Recently did a free port of the 2nd game of their overt love letters, but this 3rd one seems to be where they really throw everything they have at that nostalgia when it probably comes out sometime this year.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm as excited for Persona 5 as I have been for the past year. It was the reason I bought a PS4. This is looking to be another good year for me to buy games that I don't have time to play all of. Probably sacrilegious to want some shorter high quality JRPG's, but that's where I'm at in my life. Too much desire to read comics and get better at my job.

Also, what is a blobber?

Yeah I'd love to see some of these games cut in half... from 70-80 back down to the SNES/PS1 norms of 35-40. I just know that P5, SO5, FF15, are all gonna be huge epics and have all sorts of padding.

I was wondering that myself, never heard the term 'blobber' before and I've been playing RPGs for years.

Durante

Tis-100 threw a wrench in my OP updating schedule but I swear I'll get to it eventually!

The post holiday drought is real. I have all day to play video games and not a one to give a crap about.
Seriously? I mean, I guess you might have already played Dragon's Dogma on console or not care for action RPGs, but there was so much stuff released towards the end of last year that I'd be really impressed if you're already done with all of it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Tis-100 threw a wrench in my OP updating schedule but I swear I'll get to it eventually!

Seriously? I mean, I guess you might have already played Dragon's Dogma on console or not care for action RPGs, but there was so much stuff released towards the end of last year that I'd be really impressed if you're already done with all of it.

Yeah, already played Dragon's Dogma on console. Not real interested in replaying it. Actually kind of dislike the game, to be honest. The combat and classes are excellent. The pawns, story, limited NPC interaction, bland world and crap score really irked me though. Totally average game lifted by some great uses of class abilities and combat weight.

Some Nobody

The post holiday drought is real. I have all day to play video games and not a one to give a crap about.

It's weird--I shouldn't get this, but I do. Last year was kinda rough for me (lost my mom mid-year, my grandmother on New Year's) so playing games was sorta the last thing on my mind. So I'm still going through The Witcher 3 and Xenoblade Chronicles X and I shouldn't actually have anything to say about droughts--these are the two largest games I've ever played in my life, after all--but...yeah. I get it. If I really wanted a new game, I'd be SOL.

...In fact, if I wanted a new RPG I'd still be SOL since none of the RPGs I want have release dates yet.

Any game that lets you climb (not ride) a flying dragon cannot be merely average.

And anyways, calling DD's world bland is selling it short, from what I've seen. There's a real dedication to making the world hostile and unwelcoming that very few games ever try to capture. Not sure how it'll last as I continue levelling and gaining power, but thus far it's had a multitude of challenges where sheer brute force isn't enough; it's like a D&D campaign brought to life and it's glorious.

The thing that's bumming me out about 2016 is the DLC campaign deluge (thinking mainly of Pillars full xpac, SR: Hong Kong mini campaign, and the Witcher 3's new area). I just can't muster any interest in returning to those games so soon, especially if the new stuff is tied into the campaign. Pillars and SRHK in particular soured me with their endgame--the thought of going back just to dive in for a few more hours is... a tough sell.

Dresden

Any game that lets you climb (not ride) a flying dragon cannot be merely average.

And anyways, calling DD's world bland is selling it short, from what I've seen. There's a real dedication to making the world hostile and unwelcoming that very few games ever try to capture. Not sure how it'll last as I continue levelling and gaining power, but thus far it's had a multitude of challenges where sheer brute force isn't enough; it's like a D&D campaign brought to life and it's glorious.

I've never liked Dogma's main world that much. Gran Soren is cool because it's so big and there's some treasure there that takes advantage of the game's... verticality, mobility? Something like that. Especially so for a last-gen console title. But other than that it's pretty bland.

Really fond of Bitterblack Isle, though, which is the postgame/expansion area introduced in Dark Arisen. It can get repetitive due to asset reuse, but there's some striking environments there, especially on the lowest level.

Top Bottom