• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2017 RPG Discussion Thread

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
How is the puzzle design? Is mapping important?

The puzzles are quite good, there is a nice variety of puzzles and they keep up with them throughout the whole game.

It has an automap, so mapping isn't a big deal. There are a few places where the automap stops working, but they were pretty easy to navigate.

Aters

giphy.gif

A real time dungeon crawler/blobber with a steampunk setting, looks pretty rad. Comes out in 2 weeks.

giphy.gif

Isometric RPG with phase based combat, takes place in an alternate history New York in 1911 where much of the world has flooded and fresh water is in short supply. Also looks pretty rad, comes out in 3 weeks.

2 out of nowhere games coming out in short order. With Divinity OS 2 and Ys VIII coming out shortly as well we are suddenly in a glut of promising RPG's.

Never even heard of these two games but they both look very interesting.

edit: holy shit one of them actually came out already and the other is coming out soon.

The puzzles are quite good, there is a nice variety of puzzles and they keep up with them throughout the whole game.

It has an automap, so mapping isn't a big deal. There are a few places where the automap stops working, but they were pretty easy to navigate.

Bought it. Installed it. Still stealin' and eatin' people, and sequence breaking in DOS2 though.

Korranator

Well I finished Vaporum, it gets the official old man Sinatar CRPG seal of approval. Definitely worth the $20 if you're into dungeon crawlers like Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder or the Grimrock games.

How much play time would you estimate?

vocab

Im up to the 5th floor of vaporum. The games pretty good. Curious to see how the rest of the game plays out.

Labadal

I've bought 12 games that released this year, looking at the list. I've played and beaten many rpgs this year, but they are all from previous years.

Yakuza 0 - Not started
Torment: Tides of Numenera - Beat it, disappointed
Nier Automata - Not started, tried the demo
Battle Brothers - Played it during EA, need to start full version
Persona 5 - Not started
Cosmic star Heroine - Not started
Dragon Quest Heroes II - Not started
Expeditions Vikings - Played the beta and preview it, need to start full version
侠客风云传前传(Tale of Wuxia:The Pre-Sequel) - Not started
Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Currently playing
Battle Chasers: Night War - Not started
ELEX - Not released

I want at least another 12 on the list.

Did another update, today.

Mephala

Thanks. I had a quick look through the updated list. I noticed a new Celestian Tales. I did enjoy the first one somewhat and am now looking forward to the sequel. The kickstarter page shows new arts. I'm still not certain on painted backgrounds. Sometimes it looks great but other times or in certain areas it looks... off. The characters look pretty good, looks like they aged a bit too which is nice.
nhtaumx.gif

Look at this little badass sprite.
I'm referring to the itchy bum bear
2a4jeDR.gif

Top Bottom