• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2019 LG OLED support 1440p resolution for the first time

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
From the Rtings review

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c9-oled#comparison_2485

The LG C9 supports the vast majority of resolutions we test for, including 1440p, which is new this year for LG TVs. Chroma 4:4:4 can be displayed properly with any resolution, as long as PC mode is enabled.

120hz at 1440p is also included with a much lower input lag measurement than any other resolution/Hz combination :messenger_open_mouth:
1440p @ 120 Hz : 14.9 ms

14.9ms!!

Wonder how the scaling is. If it works well this might be a game changer as a compromise between wanting better than 1080p while dealing with the reality that outputting every pc game at 4K can be very demanding and not feasible as new games come out that will require an upgrade to continue outputting at 4K.

It still sucks that the new LG OLEDS are still stuttering messes though. They really need to stop glossing over this. The TV can be a stuttering mess yet they still give the motion score a 9.3 / 10.

Last edited:
That would be perfect for my PC setup. 14.9 ms input lag is great. It’s worse than my current gaming monitor but the step up in image quality would make up for it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
From the Rtings review

120hz at 1440p is also included with a much lower input lag measurement than any other resolution/Hz combination :messenger_open_mouth:

14.9ms!!

Wonder how the scaling is. If it works well this might be a game changer as a compromise between wanting better than 1080p while dealing with the reality that outputting every pc game at 4K can be very demanding and not feasible as new games come out that will require an upgrade to continue outputting at 4K.

It still sucks that the new LG OLEDS are still stuttering messes though. They really need to stop glossing over this. The TV can be a stuttering mess yet they still give the motion score a 9.3 / 10.
Is it true 120hz or that interpolation BS? Thinking about getting a new TV toward the end of this year, or next year before new consoles release.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
how is 14.9ms lag good? my current Samsung TV has 12ms in game mode at 4k60

It's good for OLED. If you're playing competitive games where it actually matters, you're probably not playing on a 65" OLED panel, or at least you probably shouldn't be. On my C6 it's something like 34ms and I have no trouble with games like Bloodborne.

Tarkus98

Yeah, as AV said 14.9ms for a rather large OLED is really good. 30fps open world games are going to look glorious.
I didn’t read the review but are there numbers for 4K? Would be sweet if they knocked the ms down for that as well.

Last edited:

chinoXL

damn i just picked up a C8 last november....its only the 55" so maybe i can drop some water on one of my plasma's to upgrade it hmmm

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I got the C9 65” and it’s awesome. Really can’t wait for some HDMI 2.1 devices for 4K 120 with VRR :)

Virex

Banned
Man LG is fucking killing it the last couple of years. Might look at an LG when I upgrade. But that won't be anytime soon. My new TV is not even a year old. I should have gone for an LG by the looks of it

I consider 20 or under to be “good”

My CHG70 gaming monitor has 4.4ms lag and it’s amazing to game on. Even my great Q8FN tv feels less snappy after playing at that low of input lag despite having great input lag itself

Trojita

Rtings got a firmware update and the input lag levels have dropped even further

1080p @ 60 Hz : 13.5 ms
4k @ 60 Hz @ 4:4:4 : 13.3 ms
4k @ 60 Hz : 13.4 ms
1080p @ 120 Hz : 6.8 ms
1440p @ 120 Hz : 6.6 ms

:messenger_open_mouth::messenger_open_mouth::messenger_open_mouth:

:messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts:

HDR enabled has a much higher input lag though.

4k @ 60 Hz + HDR : 39.1 ms

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned

:messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts:

Slayyyyyy

Nydus

Gold Member

That's odd. I think my b7 has the same 21ms with or without hdr @4k60. Why would they screw this up??

Trojita

That's odd. I think my b7 has the same 21ms with or without hdr @4k60. Why would they screw this up??
It's possible something was messed up with the new firmware for that setting. Hopefully it is just a quick fix.

Last edited:

Skyr

source.gif

Insane if true. I'm sure the HDR lag will be resolved.

Fake

DAMN.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Cool for pc gamers I suppose. Or could ps5 possibly have a 1440p output? Would be cool.
Xbox One X already supports 1440p 120FPS.

And in fact the C9 already supports 4K 120 FPS, but there are no HDMI 2.1 devices out there yet to take advantage of it. I fully expect the next gen consoles to both support HDMI 2.1 with 4K, 120FPS, variable refresh rate.

Trojita

So it appears the once advertised 120hz black frame insertion, that the 2019 LG OLEDs were supposed to have, might not work.

That's the one negative that enthusiasts are pointing out as a big disappointment.

For those unaware of what Black Frame Insertion (BFI), it's a way to reduce motion blur perceived by the eyes by inserting black frames, literally a whole tv screen of just black, quickly in between regular video frames.

The hope was that LG figured out how to get this to work with 120hz output, but apparently they didn't have enough time or there is a technical problem.

For more on BFI and a demonstration.

gatti-man

From the Rtings review

14.9ms!!

Probably because most don’t stutter? Never seen a stuttering LG OLED personally. My c8 is fantastic. Best PQ I’ve ever had even over the Elite Pio Plasma I owned. WAY better than the FALD LCD I have downstairs.

Tarkus98

4K at 13.3ms with 4:4:4: and 6.3ms @1440p is outstanding on an OLED. Again, open world and non competitive/sports games are going to look awesome.
Something strange with the HDR implementation to knock up the ms so much. Hopefully LG will get that number down shortly.
I guess I just have more tolerance then some because anything under 18ms is fine for me.

Top Bottom